12 17.65%
  • Generation 6

11 16.18%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Rank The Gens

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rank The Gens

Really had to put my nostalgic feelings aside for this one.

#1 Gen 4 - Great soundtrack in DPPt, Sinnoh has by far the toughest Elite 4 in the games. The HGSS games were amazing and more than made up for what the GSC games had missing.

#2 Gen 3 - Best soundtrack in the franchise. Hoenn is the toughest region to date (tough evil teams and gym leaders), Battle Frontier was a great challenge, contests were simple and fun, and the remakes were a good rendition of the original RBY series, with their much-needed post-Elite 4 storyline.

#3 Gen 5 - I really liked BW, but B2W2 put this Gen up in #3. Pokémon World Tournament, White Treehollow (I only have White 2) and a great Champion with a great soundtrack to boot.

#4 Gen 6 - This Gen is the reason I bought a Nintendo 3DS. New Exp. Share is great but it just made it too easy to get through the Elite 4 (in the sense that I didn't need to do much training to meet the Champion with a party that was 7 levels up from hers). But so far I haven't seen much else to do after that. Pokémon Amie games are pretty fun, even though I haven't got the hang of it (and Super Training) yet.

#5 Gen 1 - Pains me to put it #5, but back then all the games were about beating the Elite 4 and completing the Pokédex, nothing else. However I loved the serious nature of the game: Lavender Town and the Pokémon Tower, the original Team Rocket's exploits, the soundtrack (specially the Trainer Battle Theme sounding like some fight to the death)...Kanto was awesome!

#6 Gen 2 - I liked Johto, but this Gen screwed with the good old Kanto I knew and loved. Screwed with the battle themes, screwed with the Viridian Forest, the Pokémon Tower, one of the underground routes, and most of all it screwed with Cerulean Cave. You never mess with Kanto.
    Last edited by Flying Christi; 6th November 2013 at 08:18 PM.

Ranma ½, Maison Ikkoku and now TORADORA! fan.

3DS FC: 2938-6903-6577

so I herd u liek Mudkipz? noworry's Avatar

1. Gen II - I've always loved Johto.. And the starters<3 xD (SoulSilver was my first game, even if it's not the first I've played)
    2. Gen I - Memories.. xD Even if I'm only 13 years old, I used to watch the Originals Series when i was little. And I knew all the Pokémon from Kanto when I was 7 xD
    3. Gen VI - I love French, and Kalos is based on French, and even if it isn't so many of them, the Kalos Pokémon are really cool + the game itself is kinda fun <:
    4. Gen IV - Sinnoh is a pretty good region, and the Pokémon is not that bad either, I like many of the cool legendaries too c:
    5. Gen III - Hoenn is awsome, but the games are a bit.. Complicated (or I'm just a dummy.. meh) But yeah, I actually like it ^^
    6. Gen IV - I do like Unova, it's a cool region and stuff. And I play Black2/White2 alot with friends. But it's lowest on the list because I just like the other regions better xD + I think the anime is kinda.. Messed up

My English sux..
    P0KEM0N likes this.

Blog Entries

1 - Generation III. I may be biased because I grew up with this generation, but looking back it really was a good one. Emerald in particular I can easily go back and play. With a bunch of great Pokemon and the perfect amount of legendaries, Generation III is really good. Also, it has by far the most challenging Elite Four in the series (F*ck you, Glacia!), a tough champion, and some of the toughest Gym Leaders in the series.

The good: Great new Pokemon, Battle Frontier in Emerald, amazing region, memorable legendaries, great replay value, possibly the best 3 starters in any Pokemon game

The bad: Not much of a postgame, a few gimmicky Pokemon (Spinda, Plusle, Minun, Volbeat, Illumise)

2 - Generation VI. Although it just came out, I can easily say that this one ranks up there. The new Pokemon were great, with very few that are completely terrible, and the region was exciting and interesting. The online features are also the most robust in the series, and they make up for the unfortunate lack of a postgame.

The good: Best new Pokemon for quite some time, huge selection of Pokemon to choose from, Mega Evolutions don't suck, best online for any 3DS game

The bad: Nonexistent postgame, the return of Bidoof and other awful early-game Pokes, game can be extremely easy, linear region

3 - Generation II. This is what you call a true classic. With a selection of many good Pokemon, there was a lot going for this region. Luckily, the games delivered, with a good main game, and the best postgame in any Pokemon series. Plus, it introduced the Dark and Steel types. However, some of the Johto Pokemon were kind of forgettable.

The good: Dark and Steel types, huge postgame, good variety of Pokemon to catch, actually challenging Gym leaders and Elite Four

The bad: Internal save batteries, a number of forgettable Pokemon (Miltank, Shuckle, Dunsparce, Furret, Noctowl, etc.)

4 - Generation I. It's the first game in the series, and thus there is a lot of room for improvement. However, Red and Blue remain fun and playable to this day. However, with the advent of huge numbers of Pokemon and additional features like postgames and online, there just isn't much to do in this game once you beat it. This is a game meant for playing through and setting aside afterwards, not for continuing to play. And for me, I like battling others and raising a bunch of Pokemon, so the lack of things like this hurts the game for me. Still, a fun game nonetheless, and a must-play for any Pokemon fan.

The good: All 3 starters are great, most Pokemon are at least decent, Elite Four is a challenge, glitches are fun to screw around with.

The bad: Not much to do after the game, lack of variety of Pokemon, game can feel slow at times

5 - Generation V. If I felt like it, I could split this generation into 2. I kind of want to, because Black and White 2 are so significantly better than Black and White that I want to put them in their own category. They'd be in between Generation I and II, because that's where I feel they'd fit most. Let me just say, I really do dislike many of the Generation V 'mons. There were a few gems, sure, but many of them are either hideous or mired in boredom. Take Beartic, for instance. Not terribly designed, but just kind of boring and forgettable. On the other side, you've got Vanilluxe, which is so garish and hideous that you can't forget it. Anyway, gameplay-wise Black and White were down there. Without any freedom on where to go, I'd find myself just wanting to be able to bypass all these barriers. I mean sure, X and Y had these as well, but those games were so brilliant to play that I didn't mind as much. But Black and White weren't nearly as brilliant, and much of the game became a mindless fight to be able to go to the next area. Also, the plot: Overrated.
    Now as for Black and White 2, these games were pretty good. With an assortment of older Pokemon to choose from, I no longer had to just accept using Pokemon I didn't like much, and I was actually able to build a team that I liked. While many of the features were the same, the game was just so much more fun. Being able to battle vintage Gym leaders in the Tournament was awesome, and the main game was actually decent.

The good: Good selection of Pokemon (BW2), good online, Pokemon finally moved in battle, PWT was fun (BW2)

The bad: Many terrible Pokemon, extreme linearity, boring region, overrated plot, you had to use new Pokemon (BW),

6 - Generation IV. I can't lie, I'm physically unable to play through a Generation IV game that isn't HG or SS, but honestly, I'm considering those as Generation II remakes and thus separated from the main Generation IV. I cannot stand Diamond and Pearl whatsoever. Sinnoh is literally the most cold, dreary, and boring place ever conceived in a video game. The Pokemon aren't very good either, with all 3 starters somehow being awful. Diamond and Pear are also extremely slow and even unplayable by today's standards. Oh, and Team Galactic is a total joke. And to add to this misery, Platinum, while fixing several of the major flaws of Diamond and Pearl, is still boring and mediocre.

The good: Day/Night split returns, some well-deserved evolutions of older Pokemon, moderate challenge

The bad: Sinnoh is a barren wasteland (And not in a good way), Team Galactic is terrible, all 3 starters suck, many of the new Pokemon are forgettable, way too many legendary Pokemon, the online features are lacking, complete dearth of Fire-types (D/P only, Platinum was actually decent in this regard), postgame was aimless
    Last edited by Atomic Punk; 24th October 2013 at 05:31 PM.
    Johan likes this.

Blog Entries
    Add Kutomba on Facebook
    Follow Kutomba on Tumblr

Fourth gen is my absolute favorite. It isn't even specifically about the graphics, Pokemon, region, physical/special split, online play, or any of that. It was just the way everything felt so... right. Previous gens felt lacking to me, and the gens after gen 4 didn't have the fresh feel to them that DPPt seemed to have. Maybe I'm just dumb, but gen 4 captured the Pokemon world the way it should be.

Yeah, I know that wasn't a very good explanation at all. Anyway, for the others:

2. Gen VI. I don't like megas, but who cares? XY's brought so many new, fun things to the table! Trainer customization, wonder trades, and Phil the photo guy are just three of the many silly little features in XY that make the game that much more fun. (Plus, the graphics upgrade is absolutely breathtaking!)

3. Gen II. Johto had some really great Pokemon, and I really liked the story. (I'm a bit biased though, because the anime during gen 2 was really great too). The game mechanics weren't that great, though.

4. Gen V. I was just a tad disappointed in BW. After all the hype about it, I'd expected just a little bit more from the game. However, it was still a pretty great gen. Unova was well-made, and I loved having so many new Pokemon. Graphics were nice. Being able to use TMs more than once was looong needed, too.

5. Gen III. I have a hard time explaining it, but I just really don't like Hoenn. It didn't bring as many new things to the series as it could've. I'm not real fond of the Pokemon either.

6. Gen I. Come on, guys. The graphics were dreadful, the story was nothing special, and there were too many glitches. Honestly, I think Team Rocket isn't that great a team, either.
    I kissed you in the water and made your dry lips sing
    I saw you look like a Japanese baby
    In an instant I remembered everything...

So you want to be a hero? Stuntology's Avatar

Honestly, this is my list, and I'm surprised nobody has the same one yet:

1. V
    2. IV
    3. III
    4. II
    5. I

Pokemon games just keep getting better and better for me. Every generation adds on to what the previous ones had, cumulating in the perfection that gen V was.

So far, though, Gen VI would be the exception for me. I'm only two badges in, but it's failed to 'wow' me in the way that every previous game has. Right now, I'd place it between IV and V, but that may change once I've experienced all it has to offer!

Goblins and Saurus and Cheetaurs, oh my!

1)Gen II: You just can't go wrong with it! It gave us two new types which helped with the OP'ed psychic type in gen I. All the new pokemon introduced were fantastic and memorable(even silly unknown) and the fact that it spans two regions is just something we haven't seen since. And when you finally beat red...you just can't help but feel awesome.
    2)Gen IV: Once again a new type is introduced and changes the way we plan out our teams. And of course we we finally move away from pixels and have a fully 3-d rendered environment. Being able to customize our trainer is a big plus as well.
    3)Gen I: The original, nuff said. Can't beat that nostalgia and the original 151.
    4)Gen III: Didn't change the game too much but its the only one where I just about finished the pokedex(still missing that chimecho). Plus its the first version where we see dual typed starters.
    5)Gen IV: Game was fun overall. Had myself an early copy of the japanese pearl version which was glitchable and allowed me to get darkrai and shaymin months beforehand. Needless to say my friends were envious and that's something.
    6) Gen V: I don't particularly hate black/white but its the fact that they made a second one( haven't played it but guessing its pretty much the same) that it gets ranked as my lowest. Plus....ice cream pokemon? XD

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1. 4th gen. I'm absolutely struggling to find anything wrong with this gen. I loved the gameplay, the Pokemon, the regional design, and the story. Sure, DP had a terrible Pokedex, but Platinum made up for its Pokedex problems. The only real problem is that there's not that many new families, and that's a relatively minor problem anyway.

2. 3rd gen. I'll admit, I really didn't like this gen at first. I was unhappy that they removed some of my favorite Pokemon in RS, and the way they acted as if the non-Hoenn Dex Pokemon didn't exist really frustrated me because it felt as if they were getting rid of them. But after I got over what we lost in RS, what we gained made up for it. 3rd gen added a lot of new gameplay elements to the game (abilities, natures, double battles, contests, secret bases), and refined a lot of other ones (several types that were lacking in Pokemon and moves got them, a new IV system). This is where I think the series hit its stride. The only flaw IMO is that the story wasn't that great.

3. 2nd gen. My first Pokemon generation and a personal favorite, GSC (along with their 4th gen remakes) are the only games to have two regions, and I personally really enjoyed Johto. Unfortunately, the two regions also a negative, as both regions felt somewhat lacking in terms of regional design. Also, many of the new Pokemon weren't properly showcased within the game, trainer battles more often featured Kanto Pokemon than Johto Pokemon, and many of the new evolutions didn't show up at all in the game (probably to encourage actually evolving them).

4. 5th gen. I want to put this one last so much. It took everything that was amazing about 4th gen and threw it in the garbage can in the name of an unnecessary "fresh start" feeling. The Pokedex was limited to new Pokemon only, but the Pokemon weren't really original enough for it to feel like a "fresh start". Many significant gameplay features were removed, making it feel shallower than past gens. And the regional design was terrible, being almost completely a straight shot from start to finish and lacked any sort of exploration. The only good things 5th gen really brought were better storyline and improvements in wild Pokemon mechanics (which IMO weren't used to their full potential).

5. 1st gen. I have more respect for this gen than 5th gen, but in terms of gameplay and design, this is definitely the worst. The game lacks any sense of balance or polish, certain types had better variety of Pokemon or better moves to the point where only certain types were really usable. Also, the game was full of potentially game breaking glitches, and barely functioned from a programming standpoint. The only really good thing about this gen was the regional design, and even then it pales in comparison to the likes of Hoenn and Sinnoh.

I haven't played XY so I can't say much about that game, but I'd probably put that as 2nd or 3rd. The new game mechanics and the 3D seems to add a lot to the game, but I'm worried about replay value a bit, so I don't think it'll surpass 4th gen.
    Last edited by Bolt the Cat; 29th October 2013 at 03:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

They all have their best merits, so I'll rank them via criterias

Best Story:
    Gen5 : BW offered us a new insight and N let us view pokemon battles from a new perspective. The Plasma finale in BW is one of my favorite scenes ever. B2W2, although weak, gave us closure and wrapped up things nicely.
    Gen4
    Gen3
    Gen1
    Gen2

Best Trainer Battles:
    Gen4 : Platinum was a real challenge when it came to battles. The gym leaders were packed with reasonable difficulty, and the Sinnoh League was the toughest league. Even though I don't like Cynthia, I admit she was one tough champion. HGSS was also a big challenge with all the extra gym leaders, and best suitable for battle-lovers.
    Gen5
    Gen3
    Gen2
    Gen1

Best Region Design:
    Gen3 (RSE) : Hoenn was packed with adventures. A lot of backtracking, optional exploration areas, accessible areas differing between bikes, and secret bases. The natural environment is all very beautiful, and I can't wait to see Hoenn in 3D
    Gen4
    Gen5
    Gen2
    Gen1

Best Post-Game
    Gen4 : The Battle Frontier in Sinnoh and the extra 8 gyms in HGSS surely explains a lot.
    Gen3 (Emerald)/Gen5 (B2W2)
    Gen2
    Gen1

1. Gen VI - Newest generation seems to have held my interest the longest, seeing as this will be the first time I've played a game for over 100 hours.
    2. Gen IV - Honestly it is tied for first. DPPt I loved for the story, the player character design, and a bunch of the Pokemon introduced then, like Lucario and Infernape. HGSS was the best remake for the Pokemon games, hands down.
    3. Gen II - I loved these games to death. Johto will forever be my home.
    4. Gen I - Nostalgia.
    5. Gen V - BW were amazing, B2W2 weren't so much. I'm barely halfway through B2W2 and I honestly can't bring myself to finish the game. BW I loved due to the plot, though there was a bit of dissonance between Ghetsis's goals and N's goals. Few Pokemon interested me that were introduced this generation.
    6. Gen III - Disliked for many reasons: first major disconnect within the games with RSE, the plot didn't feel solid until Emerald, and even then it seemed kinda weak. Not many Pokemon appealed to me this generation (Only ones that did were the Ghost types and Cacturne and Spoink family). Also, with RGBY remakes, while I did enjoy them, I never fully could finish the games, probably due to the inability to collect a bunch of Johto Pokemon until after the story was completed.
    >Friend Safari Info< ~ >URPG Stats<
    "Let's make sure we create...
    a world of our hopes and dreams"

Blog Entries

Based on everything except I am ignoring nostalgia.

1st: Gen 6 -- I love all the Pokemon, region, and characters of this game.
    2nd Gen 4 -- Introduced some really cool Pokemon, I think I had played these games the most when they first came out.
    3rd: Gen 1 -- Some of my favorite Pokemon are in this generation, Poliwrath and Machoke! The region and story was kinda blah though and for me the most interesting thing about gen 1 stories are the creepypastas.
    4th: Gen 2 -- I liked the anime, that's about it. -shrug-
    5th: Gen 3 -- It had some decent Pokemon, but I for me it's like a grind to get through when I feel the urge to play through all of the games.
    6th: Gen 5 -- Blah!

Generation 4 ftw!

Pick me or the turtle gets it!

1. Generation V: Team Plasma alone puts this at no. 1.
    2. Generation VI
    3. Generation I
    4. Generation III
    5. Generation II
    6. Generation IV

Okay, let's think about this.

1. Generation VI
    2. Generation III
    3. Generation V
    4. Generation II
    5. Generation I
    6. Generation IV

I really don't know how to explain myself on this one. While I am one of those people that grew up with Red/Blue, I did not want to get nostalgia in the way of making an actual, real representation of what I believe to be my favourite gens. So I went through my memory to filter through the times I had with every single gen up to this point and found gen 3 to be one of the ones I had the most fun with. I remember the cool new designs, such as Absol, Mawile and Banette. I remember my tree-houses, I remember the desert, the city made out of rafts and the one made out of treehouses... Hoenn was simply put an amazing place to explore for me. I loved it.

Right after that came gen 5. Oh boy gen 5. This was the time that I got into the competetive scene and thus had a blast with the game. To it's aid, I enjoyed the new designs and it's attempt at making a compelling story. All in all gen 5 just seemed like the "complete package" to me and thus I had a real bucket load of fun with it.

Now to gen 2. Gen 2 was just awesome, even though I find it's locations to be a bit uninspired -today-, that did not hold me back from the game -back then- at any point. This game had me in it's grip and I do have to say that I enjoyed it immensly back then. However, unlike the ones listed above it, I just can't go back to it without quitting half way through. Not even SoulSilver and HeartGold rescued me from my gen 2 saturation.

Okay. This is the one that I had a hard time with. Gen 1. Where do I put gen 1? Well... Looking at it the way I wanted to, it could not have been above most of the others. See, when I played gen 1 I was young and easily impressed. And exactly that was the case. I had not seen anything like it before- I did not even play -any- games before getting my hands on Pokemon Blue. To get to the point: Gen 1 was a blast for me. One that I can't even really comprehend anymore. It was the pure joy of being young and having a little fictional adventure with some of the most cool looking Monsters ever. However, putting nostalgia aside, it just can't hold up to the others. While it may be the generation closest to my heart, it is not the generation highest in my list.

So. Bottom spot. Gen 4. Great designs, a few great characters, amazing battle-music, did not care for the rest. At all. I really can't explain this one, maybe it's because I was a few months late to the party, but I just can't find all that much in this generation that would make it climb any higher then gen 1. Really, from my standpoint, gen 1 would have probably been the bottom spot, but something about gen 4 just wasn't right for me, so it ended down here.

Now, at last, the first place in my list (I'm so hipster). Gen 6. No doubt about it. It's a leap in terms of evolution for the main-series. It looks, it feels and handles just the way I would've wanted it to. I love it's look, it's design, it's attention to detail and the references to older gens. I love most of it's characters and the whole new interface with all it's options. I would say it's almost overwhelming to see all these features in the first 2 games of this gen, to be honest. This gen just seems like even more of a "complete package" then gen 5 was. There is absolutely no reason for me to not put it in first place.

I hope this explains my choices a bit better.
    They will make pigs of you all and they will bury their snouts into your ribs and they will eat your hearts.

Follow PokémonJesus On Twitter

Well I haven't played the Gen. VI games yet so I can't really rank that yet...
    So here are my overall rankings of Gens. I-V (Top-Bottom):
    1st place: Gen. II
    2nd place: Gen. III
    3rd place: Gen. I
    4th place: Gen. V
    last place: Gen. IV
    Follow me (PJ) on Twitter: @ThePokemonJesus

Ash and his buddies have been entertaining me since 1998
    ALRIGHTY! Until next time...PEACE!

1) I guess Gen 2 would be my favorite. Houndoom! And the best looking legendaries, in my opinion. Lugia and Ho-Oh are awesome, and the Legendary Beasts are wicked cool. Johto was a fun region.

2) Gen 6. I like a lot of the Pokemon and this is the first time I have access to wifi and interaction with other players so I'm having a lot of fun with this. Plus Yveltal <3

3) Gen 5. Liked the story and it was fun despite there only being a few Pokemon I liked.

4) Gen 1. I was a kid when the Pokemon fever came here and I loved it. But it doesn't hold up much to the new games and I get kind of sick of Kanto. I like a lot of Pokemon, like Gengar, Aerodactyl, and Alakazam, but the stories have gotten better since then.

5) Gen 3. Salamence! But found the rest of it kinda dull. Legendaries started to look too robotic for my tastes.

6) Gen 4. I love Weavile and Lucario but the legendaries are SUPER UGLY and robotic looking, and too many of them...and I'm not a fan of any of the starters. Found it kinda dull.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast