17 25.00%
  • Generation 5

12 17.65%
  • Generation 6

11 16.18%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rank The Gens

Default Rank The Gens

So X and Y have been out for a week now and I've been having a lot of discussions across other threads arguing the finer points of different gens. Is Gen 3 the worst or is it Gen 6, is Gen 4 over rated, did Gen 5s Pokes suck etc etc etc.

So I thought why not create a thread?
    In addition to completing the poll above picking your favourite Gen, this thread is more about ranking all the Gens. Put your fave of the 6 at the top, and least fave last, you can include spin offs in your decision, but count them as part of the Gen, so Colloseum and XD are apart of Gen 3. (Gen 3 fans this will help you greatly)

So for me it's:

#1 Gen 1 (duh)
    #2 Gen 5 (no main console tie in hurt this gen, but even then it wouldn't top Gen 1)
    #3 Gen 4 (only beats Gen 2 as it has Gen 2 remakes as well as the main DPPT)
    #4 Gen 2 (I really love Johto, it's my favourite region, I loved visiting Kanto, but the Gen itself was really short and they put Johto pokes too late in the game)
    #5 Gen 3 (Colloseum and XD do give it a boost but for me personally, it still doesn't top Gen 2.)
    #6 Gen 6 (I know it's not finished yet, but I think I've seen enough, a rehashed Z version, and remake of my 5th ranked Gen aren't going to boost this gen up)

Post your rankings below. If you think it's too early to rate Gen 6 then you can just omit this one.

Default Re: Rank The Gens

1. 3rd gen very fun
    2. 2nd gen it has my favorite pokemon!
    3. 4th gen good
    4. 5th gen I don't own it and only played a little bit of my friend's and it seems fun... I just don't like the pokemon as much
    5. 1st gen well the remakes were great but if you mean the original r/b/y I can't stand to look at the graphics

I have only played Gen 2 - Gen 4 games, so that is all I can rank.

1. Gen 2. Maybe its the music, maybe its the simple block-y sprites, maybe its nostalgia goggles. Whatever it is, something about Gen 2 really makes me think "this is Pokemon". It was the first generation I played, so Gen 2 games really give me a sense of adventure and excitement when I play them. I liked getting to go back to Kanto, even though a lot of people complained about how easy it was, I liked it that way. My teams aren't usually very strong or balanced, so Gen 2 being "easy" really suited my tastes.

2. Gen 3. The Gen 3 games, in my opinion, were also easy. I think Gen 3 had some really great music and the introduction of weather and double battles made it really enjoyable to play the first time.

3. Gen 4. The first time I played DP I disliked it. I thought the Pokemon were ugly and the game was too hard. I replayed it this past summer though and loved it. The Sinnoh region is a lot bigger than past regions, so it was very fun to explore. Especially the post-Elite 4 events!
    Last edited by Mooites; 3rd December 2013 at 07:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Gen IV. I wouldn't change a thing about it. At first I hated the Sinnoh region and its Pokemon but now I absolutely love it. Graphically I think that's how the Pokemon games should look. The battles look really nice unlike in Gen V where the sprites are all pixelated and the environments really do look nice as well. Gen IV also introduced some pretty good Pokemon and some cool new evolutions like Electivire. It's what I always wanted the Pokemon games to look like and I'm sad they dumped the sprites for CG models in Gen VI. Gen IV also introduced Pal Park and while the 6 Pokemon per 24 hours was a stupid rule it did get corrected in HGSS. If I have one complaint it's that the Sinnoh trilogy seemed biased towards the water starter. Two of the Elite Four members had types that water (primarily because of that type's speed) could excel through but if you chose Turtwig or Chimchar you were pretty much out of luck.

I simply can't decide between Gen 1, 2 and 5 D: I just can't... I'm sure that 4 is my least favorite, though.
    (Rumor has it Joey's Rattata has 31 IVs in all its stats.)>

Blog Entries

1: G5. Best batch of Pokémon and great characters.
    2: G6. XY actually improved on a lot.
    3: G4, because of PMD Sky.

the rest in reverse release order. Great for their day, dated now

1 had its flaws, but without it we wouldn't be where we are today. It was good during its time and has its own brand of epic glitches. Plus, 8-bit graphics and sound are fun.

2 brought the improvements that 1 really should've had, and expanded the Pokémon world.

But I can't decide between 3 and 4 for my absolute favorite. As someone else on this page has said, 4 really established the signature graphical style of Pokémon. Plus, the Physical/Special split was badly needed. But Hoenn is the best region for exploring, I think. It feels bigger than the others, somehow. Both these Gens have the best music and Legendaries.

V made competitive battling easier with reusable TMs and Join Avenue. It had awesome moments, mainly in the form of graphics, and also had more plot than any other. But somehow I sensed more potential than just 2 main series games, and the potential was wasted. It brought back the Dive HM and desert areas, so I was hyped for a RSE remake, but... nope.

And since I don't have X or Y, and so little information is on the wiki, it's too soon to judge Gen 6, but I think it's a step in the right direction into new territory. My only real complaint is the full shift into 3D-rendered graphics... once you go there, you can't go back, and Pokémon is known for its sprites.

☆ Bulbapedia has a walkthrough project! Spread the love! ☆

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Favorite is definitely 6. It just feels so fresh and the gameplay and stuff is so much fun! And the 3D graphics make the game feel so much more alive! Kalos is lovely too, partly because France. <3 I was hoping for the region to be based on either France or my home city, which is in the US. I got my wish. :D

After that, gen 6 > gen 5 and 4 > gen 2 > gen 1 >>>>> gen 3. There's very little I like about gen 3.

Blog Entries

5 is still number one for me. Had everything I wanted in a pokemon game. Also, loved the version differences, how HMs were barely used, the story, and how it actually tried to give even the gym leaders character.

5 > 3 > 4 > 6 > 1 >>> 2. 2 was pretty much everything I didn't want in a pokemon game.

Minion of the Damned cityvillain's Avatar

1st - Gen V - I thought this was the most polished and refined generation. Everything from the gameplay to the Pokemons were fantastic. The Join Avenue was the most innovative and greatest addition, unfortunately for some reason I don't understand, it was gone in Gen VI =(

Runner ups in order:
    2nd Gen III
    3rd Gen VI
    4th Gen II
    5th Gen IV
    6th Gen I
    Kenta's Pokemon Party

Generation 4
    Generation 2
    Generation 6
    Generation 1
    Generation 3

Didn't rank: 5 I didn't play much of this game... though I'll place after 6 if you really want my opinion.
    Last edited by Ceiwen; 22nd October 2013 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Sleepy...
    3DS Friend Code: 2938-6354-1142

Claimed: Magic Bounce 29/10/13 Dowsing Machine 31/10/13 Weakness Policy 31/10/13 Mega-Mawile 31/10/13 Stored Power 1/11/2013

More Things to be Added!

Hunting for Rare Candies Jirachi's Wish's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Jirachi's Wish On Twitter

1st - Gen III - It's my favorite partly because of nostalgia, but it's also my favorite Gen as there was so much to do throughout it. From the main adventure of R/S/E to Colosseum/XD and the other Spinoff games. it also had some of my favorite features such as Contests (made better in Gen IV), Secret Bases which were fun to do with friends, the Battle Frontier and the search for legendary Pokemon. It also was the generation that got me back into to Pokemon after never playing games after Yellow (missed out on Gen II). I recall playing it for the first time and making connections with Pokemon like Wurmple to older 'mons such as Caterpie and wondering where I could get certain Pokemon from the old games (until FR/LG and the console games).

2nd - Gen II, IV, VI

3rd - Gen I

4th - Gen V - In terms of fun and gameplay, I loved this generation. It was just that Black/White where kind of empty and lacking for me but Black 2/White 2 managed to improve upon the previous games. I also find kind of hard to keep interested with these games when do replays of them. They kind of were a one playthrough wonder for me, although BW2's post-game has kept me busy up until Gen VI.
    My X Team:
    (Lv.64)(Lv.62)(Lv.61)(Lv.61)(Lv.64)

Nostalgia partially clouds my judgement on deciding my top two, but I would say...
    1st: Gen III; my first generation with my favourite pokemon like Mudkip, Ralts, Mawile, Azurill among others. Also, it had contests which I think Gen IV couldn't do as well because dress-up and dancing is just...bleh.
    2nd: Gen VI; it just stuns me, even if it has some post-game flaws akin to Ruby and Sapphire.
    3rd: Gen V: The story was great and there were plenty of nice pokemon in there too. Scraggy, Gothitelle, Chandelure...I love it.
    4th: Gen II: more of my favourite pokemon, though my only real experience with this generation was in the remakes. Even so, I love the pokemon but find the plot lackluster.
    5th: Gen IV. Plenty of fun, good villainous team, introduced Looker...but my god...the Bidoofs...the Bidoofs won't stop coming!
    6th: Gen I. Sluggish, uninteresting and fairly boring, with the least interesting pokemon across the board (though gems exist like Gengar, Raichu and Blastoise).

Do you like potatoes? Toadkerfy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Based on mechanics introduced in each gen.
    1st: Gen 4
    2nd: Gen 6
    3rd: Gen 2
    4th: Gen 3
    5th : Gen 5
    6th: Gen 1

By regions, characters, Pokemon, etc.:

1st: Gen 2
    2nd Gen 4
    3rd: Gen 6
    4th:Gen 1
    5th:Gen 5
    6th: Gen 3

1. Gen II - In my opinion this game has overall the best pokemon in the series
    2. Gen I - Lot of personal favorite pokemons in this gen, As a game not the best but still great
    3. Gen III - Swampert!
    4. Gen V - plenty of great pokemon but overall bit weak
    5. Gen VI - Love the graphics and overall style of the game. I Just hate megaevolutions!, also not that many new pokemons that I like
    6. Gen IV - Never enjoyed this one. Some good pokemon but overall dissapointing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast