random match-up - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: random match-up

Blog Entries

Default Re: random match-up

@Outrage: Haha, what a coincidence. I battled the exact same dude, and he disconnected on me too.

Anyway, I've had my first loss too; a really close battle though. I now have 27 wins and 1 loss on my record, though I've won at least 15 or so in which people have disconnected.

GameFreak really should've found a way around this...

Edit: this is rotation btw.
    Last edited by Ivysaur; 23rd March 2011 at 02:48 PM.
    3DS FC: 1203-9389-8130

Blog Entries

Follow gallowsCalibrator on Tumblr

I tried out the Random Match-Up today. I gotta say, its alot of fun. Sure, I only won 2 of the battles I fought, but still.
    I felt really bad winning the first one. It was against a girl who had clearly just started her game, using a Lv. 20-ish Servine as her lead. I felt bad making my Ferrothorn decimate her, but at least she had the good grace not to d/c and gave me a win.

My second win was a legit battle, though, against a bloke from New Mexico. I decided to lead with my Starmie, and he made the unfortunate team choice of Emboar, Hydregion and Dragonite. He went down like a sack of bricks, but, again, didnt ragequit. I wish more people were able to take a defeat. Heck, I lost 8 times out of 10, but it was fun!

Another battle that stood out involved a Mexican Standoff between my Ferrothorn, and another one. He spammed Toxic, I spammed Posion Jab in response. Eventually, he used a Gyro Ball, so I started Iron Head-ing. Turns out his Ferrothorn had a Rocky Helmet as well as Iron Barbs...and Id forgot to remove the Lucky Egg from mine. I lost, but it was memorable. :D

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

Say, would it be considered cheap to use a Wobbuffet in rotation battles? I was using one the other night for 3 or 4 battles, due to being slightly peeved at all the disconectors. But it's endurance and ability to Encore (allowing my other 'mons can switch in and set up) has made it really tempting to keep around.

Otherwise, I've just been sticking with some DP guys, who happen to be the first pokemon I bred and EV trained a couple of years back. Only two of them are really all that effective, though Roserade would've likely turned the tide of many rotation battles if I'd just taught it sleep powder :/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grave-E View Post
    Say, would it be considered cheap to use a Wobbuffet in rotation battles? I was using one the other night for 3 or 4 battles, due to being slightly peeved at all the disconectors. But it's endurance and ability to Encore (allowing my other 'mons can switch in and set up) has made it really tempting to keep around.

Otherwise, I've just been sticking with some DP guys, who happen to be the first pokemon I bred and EV trained a couple of years back. Only two of them are really all that effective, though Roserade would've likely turned the tide of many rotation battles if I'd just taught it sleep powder :/
    I've been wondering how Wobbuffet's ability would work for that. Interesting tidbit, when Wonder Launcher is on, the Pokemon you use it on has to be in the active battle position.

I've also been wondering how Slaking behaves in Rotation Battles.

If Rotation Battles were to form its own tiered system, I'd say that Wobbuffet would be banned due to breaking the whole purpose of Rotation Battles.

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

From what I've experienced, Shadow Tag seems to be rendered completely useless in rotation battles, so you can't just lock the opponent monster in, encore and follow up with the appropriate counter move. Since it's ability is part of the reason it's usually frowned upon, that's why I wondered what the stance is on the 'mon taking part in said battles.

Blog Entries

I'd guess Shadow Tag still works, just only with traditional switches and not rotations. Yeah, it an encore a Pokmon, but so can others, and I've heard Encore itself had been weakened, so I wouldn't say it's cheap.

Certainly no where near as cheap as a self-healing F.E.A.R. strategy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage View Post

Certainly no where near as cheap as a self-healing F.E.A.R. strategy
    Yeah, I remember my first random Wifi match in BW against someone with an F.E.A.R. Aron...
    Not a big fan of Sturdy because of those strategies.

I need to transfer my old EV'd DPPt Pokémon to kick some ass.
    My in-game team suffers from bad natures,abilities or a pretty heavy Ground,Water and Fighting weakness which is pretty horrible competitive speaking ^^"
    Grinding BPs for EV-training items is boring too.

I really should have transfered my good,old champs when I had the chance. Not having access to two DS really hurts. :/

Blog Entries

some of the strategies used by people is just ridiculous, at least have some decency in a battle

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123