Which protagonists-rival trio is your favorite? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which protagonists-rival trio is your favorite?

Blog Entries

Follow Hitomi on Tumblr

Default Re: Which protagonists-rival trio is your favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Ann View Post
    I luuuuuv the Lyra/Ethan/Silver line! Just how they interact and play a better role in the game. :)

But I also like the Dawn, Pearl, and Lucas one.
    My thoughts. I think Silver's a great rival, and Lyra/Ethan have interesting scenes with each other and with Silver.

As much as I love third gen, the trio was just... not interesting to me.

Lyra/Ethan/Silver is my favourite!Lyra and Ethan are cute pairing and they are childhood friends. Silver is pretty cool as a rival.

Blog Entries

Silver is definitely the best rival. So Ethan/Lyra/Silver.

But I also particularly like the D/P trio.

Registered User pichuvolttackle's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lyra jimmy and silver :P

I can't decide between the first & second gen trios...they were both so good...

Lucas, Dawn & Barry are the best!

Luv Ethan, Lyra & Silver too

Blog Entries

As far as a "trio" goes, the only one that really applies is Lucas/Dawn/Barry. They're the only ones that actually meet each other and interact at least a little bit. Every other trio is just your character interacting with them, if even that.

I would pick them in light of this, but unfortunately, Lucas and Dawn were pretty bland before Platinum, and Barry is just a horrible character, so I can't really pick them.

Ash(Red)/Suzi(Leaf)/Gary(Blue) can't even be considered a trio when one of them doesn't even exist, so... and I only like Suzi and Gary anyway. Yes, I don't care about "Canon" names and would rather see them have proper names for human beings, too.

Ethan/Kamon(Silver) or Lyra/Kamon(Silver) interactions are cool and lead to Kamon's development, but Ethan/Lyra feels pretty tacked on, so I don't like them much, either. Design-wise, they're OK.

Brendan/May/Wally are the best in my opinion, even with all the lost opportunities. Brendan/May is a person you just meet after arriving in town, but he/she is interested in you and looks forward to forge a friendship and also to your help. They support you throughout your journey, and are happy when you progress. They step aside, but it's never made clear they actually wanted to aim for championship, so I see it more as them acknowledging you don't need their direct help anymore.

As for Wally, he's a great character with well-realized development comparable to Cheren/Bianca. Yes, it's that good, even when most of it happens in the sidelines. Wally is a sickly boy who gets help from both Norman and yourself in catching his first Pokémon. Despite his condition, he strives to become a Pokémon Trainer, and goes to lengths such as abandoning his relatives so he can go on with his journey. Emerald sheds more light in his character with the Match Call, and you can see he's a very nice guy that's made quite possibly the biggest effort to get to where he is nowadays. It's a greats story of overcoming your limitations and work the hardest for what you want. Unlike the other Rivals (Besides Bianca, at least as far as I've seen), he's also very grateful with you, and looks up to you more as a friend than as a rival, but without forgetting the latter. He's easily one of the deepest and one of the best developed characters in the series, and considering they managed to do this even with Wally outside the limelight, it speaks a lot about him.

As if their more peaceful and satisfying interactions weren't enough, they also have great designs. So yeah. The Hoenn trio is by far the best as far as I'm concerned.
    lol I got bored.

Dawn/Lucas/Barry. Not only do I love the names but Platinum is the only game I can ever recall taking a genuine interest in the other two characters.

However, Silver will always be my no #1 favourite NPC♥ But I wouldn't say the "trio" ranks top.

Currently Playing: X; 7 Badges;
    Delphox (Lv 65) - Vivillion (Lv 65) - Blastoise (Lv 65) - Pangoro (Lv 66) - Amaura (Lv. 69) - Sylveon (Lv. 66)

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

OK not a Trio, a Group, but still

Hilbert/Hilda/Cheren/Bianca
    i love their interactions

I want to say Red, Blue and Lea, but Leaf isn't even a real character. She's never been seen in game so i don't think that she can be counted. However, always thought that Blue was the greatest rival and the fact that he became Champion before you was always impressive to me.

If I had to choose one of the other i'd go with The Johto trio. Silver and his growth over the course of the game was an extremly interesting story to follow and I always enjoyed battling him.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best". -Karen

"For every pokemon there is a purpose and a time when it can shine under the sun." -Blue1225

I like them in the following order - my ranking is mostly determined by the character development within the games/manga (chiefly the games).

Hilbert/Hilda/Cheren/Bianca (not on your list, but still, I've gotten fond of them fast, through their great development and interactions)
    Lucas/Dawn/Barry (good characters, and they actually felt like a team here, particularly in Platinum)
    Ethan/Lyra/Silver (pretty average in the originals, actually developed fairly well in the remakes)
    Brendan/May/Wally (pretty average all-around, with some mildly interesting dynamics)
    Red/Blue/Green (to be fair, these were early games, and the characters were pretty flat)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123