Price Gouging On Pokemon Games?! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Price Gouging On Pokemon Games?!

Default Re: Price Gouging On Pokemon Games?!

Quote Originally Posted by EmpoleonProd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by YaelleG View Post
    I - am - so - angry right now. Its like, not even funny. I have been trying to find some older Pokemon games because I've never played anything so far besides Pearl. Well, I have checked in my local store and I will go back there again, since they get new things all the time. But I ended up on Amazon. I think its rather clear what happened. Well, this is my theory, anyhow. I'm betting a lot that I'm correct here:

Ok so they've got many of the old games that I have seen many a time in person & online go for just a handful of dolalrs - they have got them marked up for $300, $600 and even $1,099 apiece. THAT IS SO WRONG because what happens is, other sellers see that Mr. Greedypants has his copy up for some outrageous amount & they start thinking, oh this game must be super valuable. I had better mark up my copy also!
    And that creates a very ugly ripple effect and just destroys the entire market for these things. Gaaaahhh!!! I am strongly considering contacting Amazon & letting them know people are doing this - maybe its against the rules. Seems like it would be, but ya never know.

There is just no logical reason why this is happening! Its not like they are games that there were like 3 copies of made & people are trying desperately to get ahold of! I doubt I'm allowed to post the links here so I am going to go to that site in another window & just type here some examples. Hold on LOL.

OK here they are:
    1. Pokemon X $39.99 free shipping. That's decent & average, right?
    2. Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green Combo for GBA: $1,350.00 (that's one thousand....)
    3. Pokemon Leaf Green $179.99
    4. Pokemon Red $599.95
    5. Pokemon Yellow - Special Pikachu Edition $767.50
    6. Pokemon Ruby $274.95
    7. Then they've got a Pokemon Emerald for $600, a Gameboy advance SP for $600 (the system)
    8. Pokemon Sapphire $185, Emerald for $349.95 and on & on & on.

WHAT THE HECK!!? THIS IS MORALLY CORRUPT!!
    Reminds me of the time somebody paid me $75 for a copy of Lost in Blue for DS lol! But like, come on...! Seriosuy. How am I ever going to get my Gen I & Gen II games and without even considering my selfish whims just, come on. This is wrong. Don't you all think?
    Those are new prices... I bought used Yellow ten bucks.

They aren't in production so there is a limited amount left unpackaged. It'd be stupid to buy those all new anyway, now try looking at the used and stop bashing amazon. :)

I got all three English Gen I games for like $20 when GameStop was still kind of cool and carried used GameBoy games.

Blog Entries

I guess you just need to look, because I found a used FireRed cartridge for 25 dollars and used Red and Yellow cartridges
    for 20 each at used game stores so you could check those places. But those games ARE hard to get new.
    Shiny Sninx Breeding!
    Hatch Count: 67
    Trying to obtain a Shiny Shinx!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PockyAddict View Post
    I know how you feel. Salesguy at game stop told me that pokemon games don't usually go down in price. And he was right.
    This is correct, and you could extend this to Nintendo games in general. They're a different beast than other video games when it comes to prices.

Oh yeah I'm definitely cool with used. I get my best deals that way.

So..... I was soooo.... I don't want to say desperate, that word is a bit strong, but I wanted another game so badly that I MAY have acted impulsively & got something from somewhere in Asia from eBay. I really should've checked the language thing. TBH I don't think its going ot be an issue because I didn't even notice that it was from Japan or wtvr until I got the tracking info. At least we don't have to worry about regional differences with this. Um, I think.

All I want is to complete a Pokedex!!! LMAO is that too much to ask? I don't mind not playing the old games. In fact, I have one old one & I don't like it that much. (mystery dungeon) I can not see shelling out for a *third* handheld system just to be able to play 1 or 2 ga.... augh!

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

So..... I was soooo.... I don't want to say desperate, that word is a bit strong, but I wanted another game so badly that I MAY have acted impulsively & got something from somewhere in Asia from eBay. I really should've checked the language thing. TBH I don't think its going ot be an issue because I didn't even notice that it was from Japan or wtvr until I got the tracking info. At least we don't have to worry about regional differences with this. Um, I think.

All I want is to complete a Pokedex!!! LMAO is that too much to ask? I don't mind not playing the old games. In fact, I have one old one & I don't like it that much. (mystery dungeon) I can not see shelling out for a *third* handheld system just to be able to play 1 or 2 ga.... augh!
    It's fine to order a used game, but just beware of anything from Hong Kong or China( I think they're said to have a lot of bootlegs) If it's a Japanese game from Japan, the gameplay is exactly the same, though you wont' be able to read the text unless you can read the language However you can look up move names and such on Bulbapedia if you need to. I don't understand Japanese and have played through games in that language easily.
    YaelleG likes this.

Blog Entries

Huh, I got a Pokemon Blue Version cartridge with a working save battery for 20 dollars, it's only flaw is the lack of a sticker on the cartridge. Maybe I just got lucky. But the reason for this cost rise is the lack of working cartridges. Maybe the FireRed LeafGreen combo were untouched? (Doubtful, but possible)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Celebi View Post

It's fine to order a used game, but just beware of anything from Hong Kong or China( I think they're said to have a lot of bootlegs) If it's a Japanese game from Japan, the gameplay is exactly the same, though you wont' be able to read the text unless you can read the language However you can look up move names and such on Bulbapedia if you need to. I don't understand Japanese and have played through games in that language easily.
    I got my Japanese cartridges pretty cheap on eBay. I was surprised that the Japanese games were cheaper because I'd always assumed that they were rarer than their English counterparts.

Oh I wasn't implying that I wanted a game new. At least I didn't mean to. I buy most of my games used. I just noticed this thread when I came back here to whine about Feebas...

Is this the preowned price? If so, I could get rich with my old games. They have sentimental value, though.

Anyway, if you decide to buy preowned Gold/Silver/Crystal, you will have to pay attention on the battery. The battery of these games dries out more quickly than any other Pokémon games, so if you buy any of them, it's possible the battery is already dead, and you would need to change it to be able to save the game (if I'm not wrong).

I don't know if generation III games got this same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Swadloon View Post

I don't know if generation III games got this same problem.

The battery can run dry but the game is still playable and saving is still possible. As far as I know it only affects time-based events such as the sales at the Lilycove department store and the in game clock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12