Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E? - Page 6

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 125
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

  1. #76
    Doc Octillery FTW VeggiePopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Silent Bridge
    Posts
    4,489
    Blog Entries
    1
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

    Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    I don't wanna sound offensive, but it looks like many people here simply are ashamed of getting caught playing a "kiddy game" and wish for a higher rating so that they can get out of the closet or play without being bullied. I mean, why is this thread titled "rated higher than E" instead of, say, "feature deeper/better storylines"? Ironically enough, giving so much importance to the rating is slightly immature to me when all that matters is the gaming experience.

    I only care about contents, I don't give a shit about ratings, they say nothing at all, take for example, Majora's Mask, it was rated E yet it contains such emotional, deep and complex stories and is as dark as any other Teen rated game (actually, now that I'm on Zelda, it's way darker than Twilight Princess which did receive a T), which proves that we can have mature and deep plots without restorting to violence and swearing. Do I want a mature Pokémon game (something we already had with BW, although I think it can still deepen a bit more )? Yes, of course. Do I want a higher rating? I couldn't care less. For all I care, it could be rated EC (Early Childhood, does that one still exists?) and I wouldn't mind as long as the game is awesome.

    To be honest, I think the ESRB (don't know about other rating associations in Europe and Asia though) is useless nowadays: its ratings don't actually measure maturity in games' contents, just explicit violence, language and sex: if a game has none of these, it's automatically E, no matter how dark or sad it is (take the Kirby games, usually they have very disturbing and scary final bosses, but since they star a pink puffy ball, it's automatically for kids, thus, E). If it features them to a mid level, it's T, and if it's abundant, it's M or AO. That's all. That's why I say it's immature to care about them: the only people who actually want or are happy that their games are higher rated, are kids who think they are hip because they play "mature" games aimed towards teens or adults. But come on people, we are above that, aren't we?

    So no, the only way Pokémon can get a higher rating is if the series starts displaying gratitous violence and since that won't happen (and, if it happens, it would be for the worse), we can rest assured that it will never get a higher rating, and in the end it doesn't even matter.


    Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

  2. #77
    Registered User VriskaSerket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Gender
    Transgender
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    Well, given the direction the series has gone, going to E10+ at best would make sense. Oh, and considering the graphics are going to make a leap, in other words battle will look more intense, moving the rating up one small notch would fit. That happened with Smash Bros. Melee after all.

  3. #78
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    i want a E10+ rating well some facts i found out state that Pokemon trainers get his/her first Pokemon on their 10th birthday

  4. #79
    Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Where the Adventure Lies
    Posts
    1,150
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    E10 is possible, but unlikely since this franchise is primarily aimed at little kids. Anything higher than E10 is just plain not happening.

  5. #80
    Face of mercy? NOPE Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    E10 is possible, but unlikely since this franchise is primarily aimed at little kids. Anything higher than E10 is just plain not happening.
    Pokemon will always be labeled E for Everyone :D

  6. #81
    Registered User Ketchup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    20
    Follow Ketchup On Twitter
    Follow Ketchup on Tumblr

    Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    Quote Originally Posted by VeggiePopper View Post
    To be honest, I think the ESRB (don't know about other rating associations in Europe and Asia though) is useless nowadays: its ratings don't actually measure maturity in games' contents, just explicit violence, language and sex: if a game has none of these, it's automatically E, no matter how dark or sad it is (take the Kirby games, usually they have very disturbing and scary final bosses, but since they star a pink puffy ball, it's automatically for kids, thus, E). If it features them to a mid level, it's T, and if it's abundant, it's M or AO. That's all. That's why I say it's immature to care about them: the only people who actually want or are happy that their games are higher rated, are kids who think they are hip because they play "mature" games aimed towards teens or adults. But come on people, we are above that, aren't we?
    I agree completely. I've seen a couple games rated T with "mature themes" in the reasons list, but it still usually refers to sex/violence/profanity; that's really all ratings cover. The reason the Day-Care couple has no idea where eggs come from is so they can keep the games rated E

    I saw a few people in this thread mention having a side game that's more mature, and I think that could be cool. The player character could be older, trainers could say more realistic things (maybe insults or profanity) after being beating in battle instead of silly lines, maybe there could be an option to join the antagonists instead of fighting them
    VeggiePopper likes this.

  7. #82
    Scandal In The Firenation Akira Bond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,109
    Blog Entries
    2

    Follow Akira Bond on Tumblr

    Default Re: Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    It would be interesting to see more mature Pokemon games and even anime. If the games were ever more mature, it would be cool if during part of the storyline, a group of villain grunts kidnaps someone close to you, in order to lure you to them to one of their small secret bases. You go there, wreck the place looking for your friend and take them back, defeat all the grunts single handedly, then get out of the secret base quickly, as you make the base blow up in an explosion, with one of the team member admins surviving, but injured, and all the grunts in that base were killed.

    Of course I doubt that will ever happen, as the games are generally aimed for children. However that doesn't make them any enjoyable for teens and adults. I don't believe the rating will change.
    Charazemma and VeggiePopper like this.

  8. #83
    like pepsi cola LadySasaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    rainy old england
    Posts
    200

    Default Re: Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    No, I don't see it ever changing.

    Although ESRB rating aside I do like that Amazon.co.uk are now recommending the games only for ages 7+. I genuinely read a review once with some parent whining because they'd bought their 4 year old - 4 fucking years old - a pokemon game and, massive surprise, the kid couldn't understand it because they couldn't read yet. And the parent blamed the pokemon company for not stating that you need to be able to read to understand the game on the blurb of the case. Wut.

    So yeah if nothing else a higher rating might be a helpful neon sign to parents that you shouldn't be giving these consoles and games to kids who can't actually walk and talk yet -_-
    Akira Bond, Ketchup and Treacle like this.

    I breed egg move pokes & DW females.

  9. #84
    Scandal In The Firenation Akira Bond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,109
    Blog Entries
    2

    Follow Akira Bond on Tumblr

    Default Re: Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    Quote Originally Posted by LadySasaki View Post
    No, I don't see it ever changing.

    Although ESRB rating aside I do like that Amazon.co.uk are now recommending the games only for ages 7+. I genuinely read a review once with some parent whining because they'd bought their 4 year old - 4 fucking years old - a pokemon game and, massive surprise, the kid couldn't understand it because they couldn't read yet. And the parent blamed the pokemon company for not stating that you need to be able to read to understand the game on the blurb of the case. Wut.

    So yeah if nothing else a higher rating might be a helpful neon sign to parents that you shouldn't be giving these consoles and games to kids who can't actually walk and talk yet -_-
    The parent has the entire internet to read reviews and information on this game. Clearly she has never seen or played a Pokemon game before (which shouldn't even matter a lot, considering how famous and well known Pokemon is, most people should have a basic idea of what is involved in the Pokemon games), and yet went ahead and purchased the game for a child that can't even read (which should be known as a basic requirement for any non-educational game).

    Pretty much what she did was blame a company for her own ignorant behaviour. I wish all the luck in the world for that poor child.
    VeggiePopper and Treacle like this.

  10. #85
    Doc Octillery FTW VeggiePopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Silent Bridge
    Posts
    4,489
    Blog Entries
    1
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

    Default Re: Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    Quote Originally Posted by Akira Bond View Post
    It would be interesting to see more mature Pokemon games and even anime. If the games were ever more mature, it would be cool if during part of the storyline, a group of villain grunts kidnaps someone close to you, in order to lure you to them to one of their small secret bases. You go there, wreck the place looking for your friend and take them back, defeat all the grunts single handedly, then get out of the secret base quickly, as you make the base blow up in an explosion, with one of the team member admins surviving, but injured, and all the grunts in that base were killed.

    Of course I doubt that will ever happen, as the games are generally aimed for children. However that doesn't make them any enjoyable for teens and adults. I don't believe the rating will change.
    Actually, a plot like this still could get an E rating, probably E10, since there's no blood, sex nor swearing and the deaths are few. But yeah, as you say, the franchise is aimed at kids so even this scenario, as cool as it sounds (I'd buy that Pokémon game day one I swear), is very unplausible to happen.

    However, Pokémon Conquest was indeed a bit more mature in themes than your everyday Pokémon game, so I count more spin-offs like that keep coming out.


    Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

  11. #86
    like pepsi cola LadySasaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    rainy old england
    Posts
    200

    Default Re: Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    Quote Originally Posted by Akira Bond View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySasaki View Post
    No, I don't see it ever changing.

    Although ESRB rating aside I do like that Amazon.co.uk are now recommending the games only for ages 7+. I genuinely read a review once with some parent whining because they'd bought their 4 year old - 4 fucking years old - a pokemon game and, massive surprise, the kid couldn't understand it because they couldn't read yet. And the parent blamed the pokemon company for not stating that you need to be able to read to understand the game on the blurb of the case. Wut.

    So yeah if nothing else a higher rating might be a helpful neon sign to parents that you shouldn't be giving these consoles and games to kids who can't actually walk and talk yet -_-
    The parent has the entire internet to read reviews and information on this game. Clearly she has never seen or played a Pokemon game before (which shouldn't even matter a lot, considering how famous and well known Pokemon is, most people should have a basic idea of what is involved in the Pokemon games), and yet went ahead and purchased the game for a child that can't even read (which should be known as a basic requirement for any non-educational game).

    Pretty much what she did was blame a company for her own ignorant behaviour. I wish all the luck in the world for that poor child.
    Yup. It's like the parents who buy Katy Perry or Lady Gaga albums for their children and then take to the review page to bitch and moan about how inappropriate the music is and how their little darlings' sensibilities have been wounded by all the filth. And the entire world sighs in unison



    As you said, these things take a ten second google search. Neither the product nor the company behind it deserves to pay for a lack of common sense on the part of the responsible adult. It seems like these days we have to idiot-proof everything with high ratings so that people don't get offended, though, and tbh I'm amazed PETA hasn't lobbied before to get Pokemon a higher rating by claiming it has violence or distressing themes or some other BS. That's the only scenario where I ever see a Pokemon game earning a higher rating - not because the content has matured, but because the 'won't someone please think of the children' brigade finally get their way.
    Akira Bond likes this.

    I breed egg move pokes & DW females.

  12. #87
    Berry Incinerator Heatmor C. Dawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, US
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    Pokemon Colosseum was rated T, but it came out before the E10+ rating; had it been released a few years later, it would be rated E10+. I think E10+ is as high as Pokemon will go, but it's entirely possible for it to hit that rating if it gets dark enough. Then again, you probably know what Pokemon can get away with, even with an E rating...

  13. #88
    Pie pAN-CHAM Spectacular Snivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Generation 6 :)
    Posts
    170
    Follow Spectacular Snivy On Twitter Add Spectacular Snivy on Google+
    Visit Spectacular Snivy's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Celebi View Post
    I highly doubt it. Pokemon is made for children and I think raising the rating might make some parents uncomfortable buying it for their kids. Although Pokemon has had more in depth plots( like in BW) it remained rated E, and I dont see that changing anytime soon.
    Tottaly agreeed.Thay make it for kids,not 25-years old kids.

    I HATE MYSELF!

  14. #89
    Registered User Ketchup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    20
    Follow Ketchup On Twitter
    Follow Ketchup on Tumblr

    Default Re: Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    Quote Originally Posted by LadySasaki View Post
    Although ESRB rating aside I do like that Amazon.co.uk are now recommending the games only for ages 7+. I genuinely read a review once with some parent whining because they'd bought their 4 year old - 4 fucking years old - a pokemon game and, massive surprise, the kid couldn't understand it because they couldn't read yet. And the parent blamed the pokemon company for not stating that you need to be able to read to understand the game on the blurb of the case. Wut.

    So yeah if nothing else a higher rating might be a helpful neon sign to parents that you shouldn't be giving these consoles and games to kids who can't actually walk and talk yet -_-
    It even says on the box: "basic reading ability is required"; and really, people who don't bother asking people or looking up stuff about games before buying them for their small children are pretty dumb

    And I guess people who aren't around video games a lot might not realize how much reading and comprehension is actually in them, especially if when you say "video game" they think of Call of Duty or like NES games or something. Or if you were an awesome parent, you would help your kid understand the game and kinda play it with them

  15. #90
    Sleep tight Isamu Akai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,215
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    It's a fact that parents don't read when they buy games for their kids. Why else do we have parents who bitch about T or M rated games being too inappropriate for kids. If they cannot even notice the goddamn rating on the front of the game's package, you can't expect them to read the smaller print on the back of it explaining how basic reading ability is required. And since parents aren't even reading it, I find this ironic now.

    That said, I also don't want to see XY get a higher rating after how Pokemon has long presented itself as a kid's game for all these years.


    Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •