Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E? - Page 5

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 125
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

  1. #61
    I want to rp! Te-em's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    959

    Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goomba View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Goomba View Post
    However, what could be done to make it E 10+? I do not want "extra vulgarity and edginess for no real reason" but perhaps more emotional scenes for the plot. Or an actual attempt to murder you. (Not what Ghetsis did to you or what Bowser tries to do to Mario.)
    The first one is no reason to raise the age rating on a game. The second one has no reason to happen- if the player needs to be the subject of a murder attempt, something in the vein of Ghetsis's attempt is all that's needed.
    What if the emotional part is about death? (Like if you were actually to see Team Rocket kill Marowak. (7-year olds would cry if they say that and it would classify under more fantasy violence.) What if you actually got injured in the attempted murder? (Not that I would actually want to see another attempted murder.)
    Such things happen in the Pokemon movies, so it could probably happen in the game, especially since the graphics are so simple. With the simple graphics, it wouldn't look violent when characters die or are hurt, but it is the emotional part that would count. I don't know the rating of the Pokemon movies, but I know a lot of children watched them.
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

  2. #62
    Serperior rules us all Catilena1890's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    In a Luxury Ball.
    Posts
    457
    Blog Entries
    68
    Follow Catilena1890 On Twitter
    Visit Catilena1890's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    Honestly I could see it going to E10+. I mean that's not that great a jump in terms of content and whatnot, and most of the kids who do play pokemon are over 8 anyway, which in and of itself is not that far from 10 years old. Parents wouldn't get their knickers in a twist over an E10+ Pokemon game. A parent who would buy Pokemon for their kids would ask WHY the rating bumped up, and that could be answered by waiting until we older players have posted spoilers on the internet for them to read so that they know what they are exposing their kids to. Then they'd buy the game and voila. A more mature pokemon game for us older fans. I won't be surprised if they keep it at E though.

    The problem with pokemon isn't in its rating. The Unova story has proven that the game CAN be enjoyable for grownups. I mean, if you can stick animal cruelty, child abuse, and attempted murder into a game and still give it an E rating, then why do we need to go up? What more would a E10+ game give us? Kissing? Visible pokemon on human violence? Cartoon blood? How would that effect the game overall? How would it make it better? Honestly, I'm okay with the little frou-frou fluff they give us in the games right now. They have been able to write mature elements in the games without making them too much for their target audience before, so adding a few extra details won't make the games better than they are.

    Game Freak first and foremost are storytellers. Their primary objective is to weave an incredible tale of friendship and adventure, of the battle between good and evil in which the hero ALWAYS wins in the end through the power of love. I know what some of you are saying, their primary objective is to make money and everything else is irrelevant, but think about it. Haven't they ALWAYS given us a good story every generation? Their ability to create incredible, heart-grabbing plots is what has allowed them to make money. As the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The better their story is, the more money they will make. Therefore, delivering a high-quality story is their main priority. The rating doesn't control the story, the story doesn't control the rating, so don't worry about the rating and just enjoy the story.

  3. #63
    I want to rp! Te-em's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    959

    Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    The only thing, maybe worth changing the rating, that I can think of, and that I miss from the older games, are Pokemon that look scary. They'll probably don't bring these back, even though it wouldn't actually affect the E rating, despite the more detailed graphics of today's games.
    Last edited by Te-em; 22nd January 2013 at 05:07 AM.
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

  4. #64
    aka the fireflies guy Vanillish Twilight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Owatonna, Minnesota
    Posts
    432
    Blog Entries
    79

    Follow Vanillish Twilight on Tumblr

    Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    I prefer it to not have more mature content but I wouldn't really care if it does (as long as it isn't, you know, extreme like GTA or something) ...but the criticism Pokemon would get after upping the ante *shudders at the thought* no, just no
    Jenneta likes this.

  5. #65
    }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ Dralcax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Orre
    Posts
    149

    Visit Dralcax's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    Probably not because, being Pokemon, parents might buy it for their kids without even glancing at the rating because Pokemon has been rated E for years. The only mature content in XY will be the Google search results.

  6. #66
    Soul of the Trees Forest Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bulbagarden. Duh.
    Posts
    607
    Blog Entries
    4
    Add Forest Spirit on Google+

    Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    I highly doubt that Game Freak themselves would actually take the initiative and make the pokemon series from here on out E10+, though I would also like to raise this point: How many 3DS games are actually rated E? I've seen about 2. Rumble Blast was E10. "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" for the Nintendo 64 was rated E, though its remake of "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D" was rated E10+. Is it possible that most of the 3DS games are rated E10+ for the 3D animations???

    Nintendo specifies that children MUST be above the age of 7 to engage in the 3D aspects of the 3DS. Most of the 3DS games are rated E10 for the animations that come with the ability of having great graphics.

  7. #67
    zzz YamiiDenryuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    1,816
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    Quote Originally Posted by Latigarys View Post
    Nintendo specifies that children MUST be above the age of 7 to engage in the 3D aspects of the 3DS. Most of the 3DS games are rated E10 for the animations that come with the ability of having great graphics.
    You can leave the actual 3D off when you play the game. Apparently, there's even parental controls you can set to prevent your kids from turning the 3D on by mistake (or design, whichever).

  8. #68
    Soul of the Trees Forest Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bulbagarden. Duh.
    Posts
    607
    Blog Entries
    4
    Add Forest Spirit on Google+

    Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Latigarys View Post
    Nintendo specifies that children MUST be above the age of 7 to engage in the 3D aspects of the 3DS. Most of the 3DS games are rated E10 for the animations that come with the ability of having great graphics.
    You can leave the actual 3D off when you play the game. Apparently, there's even parental controls you can set to prevent your kids from turning the 3D on by mistake (or design, whichever).
    I'm quite aware of these features, but don't you think that some companies may go to the trouble of putting in cartoon blood or things like that to make the game E10+ so that almost everyone who buys it can play it in 3D? Because if you're buying your 6 year old E10 games, then 3D's probably not a big concern.

  9. #69
    zzz YamiiDenryuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    1,816
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    Quote Originally Posted by Latigarys View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Latigarys View Post
    Nintendo specifies that children MUST be above the age of 7 to engage in the 3D aspects of the 3DS. Most of the 3DS games are rated E10 for the animations that come with the ability of having great graphics.
    You can leave the actual 3D off when you play the game. Apparently, there's even parental controls you can set to prevent your kids from turning the 3D on by mistake (or design, whichever).
    I'm quite aware of these features, but don't you think that some companies may go to the trouble of putting in cartoon blood or things like that to make the game E10+ so that almost everyone who buys it can play it in 3D? Because if you're buying your 6 year old E10 games, then 3D's probably not a big concern.
    ... What? That makes absolutely no sense. Nintendo does not stand to gain anything by bumping up the age rating on games just so that everyone's old enough to use the 3D option. In fact, they just lose customers- those 6-year-olds whose parents actually care enough to not let them play violent games with the 3D option on. Or better yet, they lose people older than 10 who think that cartoon blood in a Pokemon game for absolutely no reason is tacky and kind of disgusting.
    UnovaCastaway likes this.

  10. #70
    I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Aspertia City
    Posts
    1,413
    Blog Entries
    66

    Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Latigarys View Post
    Nintendo specifies that children MUST be above the age of 7 to engage in the 3D aspects of the 3DS. Most of the 3DS games are rated E10 for the animations that come with the ability of having great graphics.
    You can leave the actual 3D off when you play the game. Apparently, there's even parental controls you can set to prevent your kids from turning the 3D on by mistake (or design, whichever).
    Plus, I don't think it makes sense to bump the rating only for the fancier graphics when there's nothing else that would be objectionable for a younger child.

  11. #71
    Psychic Mikes Gardevoir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    163
    Blog Entries
    10
    Follow Mikes Gardevoir On Twitter Add Mikes Gardevoir on Google+
    Follow Mikes Gardevoir on Tumblr Visit Mikes Gardevoir's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    I say to bump it down to EC....pokemon is already graphic enough D:

  12. #72
    is back for 2014 S.S. Shadow Minun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cheaters anywhere
    Posts
    872
    Blog Entries
    18
    Follow S.S. Shadow Minun On Twitter Add S.S. Shadow Minun on Facebook
    Visit S.S. Shadow Minun's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    No (yet), because Pokémon are mainly targeted at kids, and Pokémon XY shall not receive a rating higher than E. However, some 3DS games are rated higher than E, so there is a possibility for XY to get E 10+. But as with most main series, I would usually say "no". The only mature thing is Google search results.

  13. #73
    Nemo me impune lacessit Dialgarules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    California, U.S.A.
    Posts
    339
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    Quote Originally Posted by Latigarys View Post
    "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" for the Nintendo 64 was rated E, though its remake of "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D" was rated E10+.
    That's because the E10+ rating didn't exist when the original OoT came out. OoT was 1998, E10+ was created in 2004. They're essentially the same game, with regards to potentially offensive content.

    I can't picture X and Y being E10+ rated. I think that there are a lot of elementary-school parents who are rating-conscious, and Pokémon has always been aimed at young children. Although an E10+ rating wouldn't significantly change the reputation of the series, it's not like it's impossible to put in a more complex or deep story line that would be more entertaining to older fans, while still keeping the game E-rated. I do hope that Game Freak will make an effort to do that.

  14. #74
    Why so serious? Rival Silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Dragon's Den
    Posts
    16

    Follow Rival Silver on Tumblr Visit Rival Silver's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    possible? of course it is. likely? definitely not. they've already shown that they can create fantastic storylines and keep it rated e; i fail to see the need to change it to e 10+ when they can create what they can now and get away with the former rating.
    Jenneta likes this.

  15. #75
    Skodwarde's Slave zakisrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Newcastle, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    392
    Blog Entries
    90

    Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

    I doubt it. Parents might not want to pick it up otherwise. Plus, Nintendo is very family-friendly (unlike other companies, which live on M-rated garbage like GTA). M-rated games for Nintendo systems, as far as I know, are few and far between. Conker is the only one I can think of, and even that was pushing it.
    Rhonda: Okay, Curly, I admit it. I'm your secret admirer. And the truth is, no matter how hard I try and fight it, [reading off her hand] I'm really, really wild about you. In fact, I've fallen crazy in love. So what do you say? How does that make you feel?
    Curly: Give Daddy some sugar. (kiss)

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •