Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E? - Page 4

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

I don't think so. There's really no need to when the target audience is primarily kids and they wouldn't want to make Pokemon look less family/kid friendly with a higher rating. Even E10+ would be a stretch given how they were able to get something like Ghetsis trying to kill you in B2/W2 and the storyline about N and Team Plasma in the first games with an E rating. Besides that, adding in violence doesn't really make a game any better than if it didn't have violence.

Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

Well, Platinum was PG (or whatever your equivalent is) and the only reason was because of the slot machines. Some parts of it definitely deserve a higher rating than G/E, but overall there's nothing too mature in it. These games might be a step up, however I doubt it.

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

Possible? Yes, by definition of a possibility, it is possible.

Likely to happen though, no, not at all.

needs a new avatar Shiny Staraptor's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, they could try getting crap past the radar by only making the adult content accessible through an event released a couple of months after the game. They'd probably be sued for it though.

WARNING! The link leads to TV Tropes. Don't click unless you have about 5 hours to spare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neoflare
    star i have your eevee
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Yagami
    IF YOU EVER WANT TO SEE IT AGAIN, COME TO ... AVENUE
    Y Friend Code: 2578-3150-3027

Blog Entries

Possible? Of course. Will it happen? No way.

Why would they make it a T or even an E10+? What's the reason? Pokemon has done excellent plots as it is. Being for a general audience doesn't mean a game can't be for adults too.
    Owain and UnovaCastaway like this.

Blog Entries

Follow Metabee on Tumblr

I imagine it will only happen if they suddenly become aware that a lot of their fanbase aren't their target audience. Which they won't, because it's Nintendo.
    Shiny Staraptor and Owain like this.
    i haven't changed this signature for like sixteen years
    i guess i'll put a link to that fic i'm planning on doing one day

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Metabee View Post
    I imagine it will only happen if they suddenly become aware that a lot of their fanbase aren't their target audience. Which they won't, because it's Nintendo.
    The majority of Pokemon fans are probably kids. We only see a majority of adults online because most of the fanbase is unlikely to be a part of the fandom. They don't go onto forums, make fanworks, etc.

In my opinion I don't think so. I dunno if anyone else thinks like this, but I think if it were to be rated higher then E, we would have seen something in the trailer that could possibly make it higher then E. But it all looked fairly normal and not extremely violent haha.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Staraptor View Post
    Well, they could try getting crap past the radar by only making the adult content accessible through an event released a couple of months after the game. They'd probably be sued for it though.

WARNING! The link leads to TV Tropes. Don't click unless you have about 5 hours to spare.
    Getting Crap Past the Radar= inserting "mature" content subtly enough so that the ratings people either don't notice or don't care, and so that it goes over the heads of most of the young'uns who play the game. A download a few months in that made the game outright explicit would not in any way count, especially if they get sued for it, since that means the did get caught.

Obviously, you haven't been spending enough time on TvTropes. Otherwise you'd know this. :P

needs a new avatar Shiny Staraptor's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Staraptor View Post

Getting Crap Past the Radar= inserting "mature" content subtly enough so that the ratings people either don't notice or don't care, and so that it goes over the heads of most of the young'uns who play the game. A download a few months in that made the game outright explicit would not in any way count, especially if they get sued for it, since that means the did get caught.

Obviously, you haven't been spending enough time on TvTropes. Otherwise you'd know this. :P
    I've been browsing TV Tropes for over a year! =p But yeah, I guess you're right. I'm still keeping the link to TV Tropes though.
    And what if the download released adult content more subtly? e.g. Opening a path in *insert big city* that leads to a game corner, and cover up the fact that the download gives adult content with something innocent, like a Xerneas/Yveltal download.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neoflare
    star i have your eevee
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Yagami
    IF YOU EVER WANT TO SEE IT AGAIN, COME TO ... AVENUE
    Y Friend Code: 2578-3150-3027

the only reason i've ever seen a main series pokemon game get higher then a G rating (Australias E) was when D/P got a PG for mild gambling references....(not sure about other contries here but it happened) but i would like to see more of the in depth slightly more mature story that has happened in gen 5... even if it won't change the ratings

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

LOLnope
    You guys are so funny with your high, unrealistic hopes! Why wouldn't Pokémon be E-rated? Just because you're grown up doesn't mean all the fans are, I know plenty young kid fans! And then they might not be able to play if it was rated higher.
    Jenneta likes this.

Blog Entries

Not unless they go out of their way to make it so. The highest I could see without major changes is E10, as that's rule of thumb rating for darker/more adultlike Nintendo games (modern examples: Skyward Sword and Kid Icarus.)

Visit szmty's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Miles101 View Post
    LOLnope
    You guys are so funny with your high, unrealistic hopes! Why wouldn't Pokémon be E-rated? Just because you're grown up doesn't mean all the fans are, I know plenty young kid fans! And then they might not be able to play if it was rated higher.
    I agree that hoping for something mature in the sense of sex and violence it's stupid. Pokémon will never be a high-rated franchise. But E+10 is just fine, and I'd like if Pokémon games were more like that. E+10 it's on the very spot where a game can be easily enjoyed by children and teens. Have you ever played a LEGO game? They're pretty cool, and I think that all of them are E+10. Also, a lot of parents don't care if a game is E or M, they'll just buy it, and for that reason there are hundreds of annoying kids in CoD multiplayer. They should put more attention though, but I think that E+10 is fine for a kid; it's a little more mild, but it's still fine and safe.
    Jenneta likes this.

I don't see a storytelling reason this couldn't happen. I would love to see the protagonist being forced to reconcile the fact that he makes a living by having his pets fight other people's pets and then taking their lunch money. Or maybe a scene where you lose a fight and your starter dies (or nearly dies) and you have to deal with the fact that this was arguably your fault. That would also violate the Nintendo rule of silent protagonists, but I never liked that kind of storytelling anyway.

Speaking of Nintendo, they would never allow anything past E10, and even that's pushing it. Let's face it, we (the teenagers and adults who play pokemon) are not the primary demographic and never have been. I don't think they want to please 20% of their audience at the risk of alienating the other 80%.

There's nothing that makes pokemon intrinsically a children's game, but unless Nintendo pulls a complete 180 in the marketing department I don't see it being anything else any time soon. We will probably never have Grand Theft Auto:Castelia City.
    97SaturnSL1 and Jenneta like this.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast