Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E? - Page 2

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Is it possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

is back for 2014 S.S. Shadow Minun's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow S.S. Shadow Minun On Twitter Add S.S. Shadow Minun on Facebook
    Visit S.S. Shadow Minun's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

At least the Pokémon X and Y could recieve from E (Everyone) to T (Teen) depending on content. Mario Strikers Charged was the first Mario game to receive a T rating.

Default Re: Is possible that Pokemon X and Y will be rated something higher than E?

I honestly don't see any need for an increase in needless violence, vulgarity, or sexual themes in the games, as I believe that introducing these things will reduce the ability we have to fill them in with our imagination. Personally I feel that the total absence of these things allows us to read between the lines much more than if they were more spelled out for us. But that might just be me.

Blog Entries

I personally won't mind the increase rating but the only way that pokemon will get anything above a E-Rating if Gamefreak makes pokemon games explicity for the older fans but the chances of it happening is extremely slim in the foreseeable future

The New Extra_Terrestrial

I believe down here in Australia D/P were rated PG due to the gambling references with those slot machines. (I'm not 100% sure, though.)

I would personally like to see some slightly more emotionally mature scenes as present in B2/W2 (with Ghetsis trying to kill the PC) make an appearance in X/Y, but it could deterr some parents from buying their children the games.

El_
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
    I honestly don't see any need for an increase in needless violence, vulgarity, or sexual themes in the games.
    Personally, when I think of something more "mature" or handled is a deeper and more meaningful manner thats not what comes to mind for me. For me, something thats more mature is like how Bianca's development was handled in Black & White 1. Her father being afraid of her stepping into the world, what she might see because of it and what may happen is a very real and adult concern. Also, things like Cheren finding his place and the first Team Plasma plot and things concerning N.

As for violence, I'm pretty certain Hugh punched that Team Plasma member in the face in BW2 near Driftveil City XD (Or at least I imagine it that way) Then yeah, theres Ghetsis ordering Kyurem to Glaciate the PC.

Thing is, they really could have something more "complex" overall without sexual themes (the Ferris Wheel dates had some funny innuendos though), needless violence, and vulgarity. Just my opinion, but maturity to me is something thats handled in a more thoughtful manner. Realism can also be had without the darker and edgier aspects usually compared with it.

Overall, I hope that X & Y pick up on where the original B & W started off, and offers something more complex to the series.

N set by smalllady
    Ideals/Truth

Blog Entries

The thin line between E and E10+ is basically the same line between PG and PG-13
    Personal Youtube: TerraTF

Follow my Pokemon Y Nuzlocke here

Shinies are just a palette swap. If its not bred well, don't use it.

追放されたバカ

Visit Fennekin's Youtube Channel

Definitely not. Pokémon is targeted to 10-year-olds. The shows, the games, Everything. It would be stupid to change the target audience now.

The only game with a T-rating that has Pokemon in it should be Super Smash Bros. "Mature themes" does not a good game make.
    Hidden Mew likes this.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

The Power of Electricity Jolty94's Avatar
    Follow Jolty94 On Twitter Add Jolty94 on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Goomba View Post
    Like Ninja-Mage said, hardly anyone under 10 buys the game though the younger kids would go to Toys R Us. Also, parents do not pay enough attention to the ratings. (They only look for guns and stuff like that.) A more mature game might actually bring more sales to the game. It would not be considered a ''childish'' anymore. (People who are ashamed to play Pokemon would no longer have to be.) Like I said above the anime could take a different route. (Less children watch the anime or so I think.)
    However, what could be done to make it E 10+? I do not want "extra vulgarity and edginess for no real reason" but perhaps more emotional scenes for the plot. Or an actual attempt to murder you. (Not what Ghetsis did to you or what Bowser tries to do to Mario.)
    I like these ideas, it would give Pokémon more routes to take... But I'm almost 19 and nearly finished with College and I'm never ashamed to go around boasting about Pokémon and sharing my knowledge of Stats and EV's with my friends at College that understand xD Sometimes people say to me "Dude, you're 18 and you play Pokémon" and I say to them "Dude, what I do in my spare time, is more productive than you jumping classes and doing drugs behind the Sports Hall, thanks"
    And then when my birthday comes around everyone knows what to get me, a Pokémon teddy, or something Pokémon related lol.

I would for some strange reason love the Rating to be higher than E... but I don't see that ever happening, I just feel like it's been left a few years too late to even attempt that... and plus, the more us fans age (the older ones), the more the younger ones (Who were born in Gen III, lol) will take on the Pokémon franchise and so fourth, and then it will go to the younger ones and blah... but there will never be as many younger fans now a days as there was when we were all kids in Gen I/II, that's just how it is. I'm acceptive of that, so wishing for a higher rating is sort of wishful thinking.
    N is finished yet.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

I'll take whatever damn rating it takes for us to get back the game corner. Unfortunately its never gonna happen, so I'll settle for a 7+ instead of a 3+ for pal territories. Universal standards suck....
    Pokefanforever likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Shadow Minun View Post
    At least the Pokémon X and Y could recieve from E (Everyone) to T (Teen) depending on content. Mario Strikers Charged was the first Mario game to receive a T rating.
    No, Mario Strikers Charged is E 10+
    S.S. Shadow Minun likes this.

Blog Entries

Nah, while a rated T Pokemon game sounds cool and all, Nintendo has pretty much gone out of their way to censor the most irrelevant things, so unless Game Freak bribed them or something I don't see it happening.

Oh God, no. Pokemon is supposed to be for kids and (I'm gonna get so much hate for saying this but I'll say it anyway) a large majority of Pokemon players stop playing it by the time they hit the teens. If Pokemon starts aiming for older audiences then the popularity will take a dive. The audience that Pokemon was originally aimed for, kids ages 3-12, wouldn't be able to play it because their parents won't let them, shaving off around 60-80% of audiences because that percentage are the kids which leaves 20-40% left which are people our age. Believe it or not, when kids become teens, they usually either stop playing video games or play something more aimed towards teens like CoD (please don't hate on me for this, I'm just speaking what I observe and I will gladly say that I am one of those still playing Pokemon at 16).

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

The main target audience of the Pokémon franchise is elementary children (or "primary children" if you're awesome and British like me), so the games being age appropriate for them will likely not change any time soon. The highest I can see it going up to is a 7+ (PAL rating), but nothing higher than that.

Frankly, if Pokémon can manage to pull off a story like N's with Team Plasma as a 3+, do we really need a game with a 12+ or equivalent teen rating?

Funny that I came across this topic today though, because I was thinking of how the Pokémon games can have the rating they do when you consider some of the Pokédex entries (like Lampent).

Canadian Sweetheart Pokemaster97's Avatar Bulbanews WriterArchives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Visit Pokemaster97's Youtube Channel

I personally don't see any reason why Pokemon would need to be higher than an E or E10 rating. BW2 shows they can have an in-depth plot without unnecessary violence, or suggestive themes. They wouldn't risk taking away access of the games away from the target audience (even though some children play M games, but it all depends on the parents).

Like it or not, Pokemon is not really "aimed" at us, but they make it so anyone can play and enjoy it, hence the "E-everyone" rating.
    Jenneta likes this.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast