Pokemon X and Y; Digital Copies only? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Pokemon X and Y; Digital Copies only?

Default Re: Pokemon X and Y; Digital Copies only?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky505 View Post
    Digital only= waiting hours for the game to download.
    Cartridges= inserting game and starting right away.

I'd rather they stick with cartridges.
    Cartridges you have to drive to the store and preorder it. Then drive back when it comes out and possibly wait in line based on what game it is. Either way there is waiting involved.

Visit Rocky505's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by llama555 View Post
    Digital only= waiting hours for the game to download.
    Cartridges= inserting game and starting right away.

I'd rather they stick with cartridges.
    Cartridges you have to drive to the store and preorder it. Then drive back when it comes out and possibly wait in line based on what game it is. Either way there is waiting involved.
    Pre Ordering is optional. Yes there will be waiting but not nowhere near as much as downloading the game online.

"I'm just a passing through Pokemon Trainer,"

Blog Entries

Pre Ordering is optional. Yes there will be waiting but not nowhere near as much as downloading the game online.
    Apparently, you don't have a fast connection and are generalizing. It takes no more than an hour for most people to download 1GB worth of data, so it will probably take a maximum of two hours in XY's case. That is not at all unreasonable, and is obviously the better deal out there for people who don't live in the vicinity of a video game store.

Blog Entries

If Nintendo ever did such a move as that, for all games I mean, then I would be pretty ticked off. Incredibly so, as I simply do not have access to wifi, and the means of it are just out of reach for me. Sucks to be me. It's bad enough that the next gen Xbox and Sony Playstation are looking toward some pretty stupid 'innovations', and I'd rather Nintendo stay smarter than that by still offering physical copies of most things.

Regarding Fire Emblem Awakening, I didn't try to get it but I knew one of my friend's boyfriend had troubles trying to locate a copy. I myself have been having the worst of luck finding available copies of Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon for two months now, and I still don't have it. It's because of that poor experience that I am considering doing more pre-orders to avoid this kind of crap.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Visit Rocky505's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Apparently, you don't have a fast connection and are generalizing. It takes no more than an hour for most people to download 1GB worth of data, so it will probably take a maximum of two hours in XY's case. That is not at all unreasonable, and is obviously the better deal out there for people who don't live in the vicinity of a video game store.
    My connection isn't slow at all. 2 hours is still a long wait just for a game when you could just go to a store and get it in at least half an hour or sooner depending on where you live.

"I'm just a passing through Pokemon Trainer,"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Akai View Post
    Regarding Fire Emblem Awakening, I didn't try to get it but I knew one of my friend's boyfriend had troubles trying to locate a copy. I myself have been having the worst of luck finding available copies of Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon for two months now, and I still don't have it. It's because of that poor experience that I am considering doing more pre-orders to avoid this kind of crap.
    There you have it. Some people, such as myself, don't live in countries where Nintendo games are made available in a timely fashion. Suffice to say that eShop can make a huge difference in some cases.

My connection isn't slow at all. 2 hours is still a long wait just for a game when you could just go to a store and get it in at least half an hour or sooner depending on where you live.
    Did you mean no more than half an hour? That is definitely not the case for everyone. If we assume that the average driving time is half an hour, then you could still easily waste 1.5 hours on driving in both directions and waiting in line. The download might take longer than that (depending on your connection and the file size), but at least you can do whatever you want during the download without leaving your home, unless you keep staring at the screen waiting for the download to be over.

I am not saying that digital copies are obviously superior, but they have many benefits. They shouldn't come at the expense of physical copies, but it is high time that NoA made every new game available via eShop.

is back for 2014 S.S. Shadow Minun's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow S.S. Shadow Minun On Twitter Add S.S. Shadow Minun on Facebook
    Visit S.S. Shadow Minun's Youtube Channel

I bet Pokémon X and Y could not be digital copies only... The retail version should be available...

Scandal In The Firenation Akira Bond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Akira Bond on Tumblr

Better deal for some people, not all people. I believe permanently erasing hard copies of their games, is a foolish move on Nintendo's part. I feel they will lose plenty of potential sales if they discontinued Hard copy games. I hope Nintendo will realise that doing so can potentially hurt their sales quite a lot, and personally, I prefer purchasing hard copy games as opposed to digital copy games.

I do not see Nintendo doing this, and I am unsure if there are many, if any at all, reasons as to why discontinuing hard copy games is a good idea.

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar

I wouldn't like this idea. I mean if something happened to your 3DS all of your games would be gone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraa View Post
    I mean if something happened to your 3DS all of your games would be gone.
    That's true, but at the same time, you can copy your files to your computer or another SD card to create a backup. That wouldn't help if your 3DS were harmed (since the files can only be accessed from the system to which they were licensed), but it does mean that the only way to lose your games or save files is in the event of something happening to the 3DS. That is to say, the SD card getting lost or corrupted wouldn't be a problem if you had previously backed up the files, whereas there is no way around losing game cartridges.

Of particular note is the fact that you can re-download any eShop game for free, so if you have multiple SD cards, you can have multiple save files even for games where that isn't possible with a single physical copy. I believe that it's also possible to switch save files by transferring them back and forth between a single SD card and a computer. I would think that all the fans that have been clamoring for multiple save files would appreciate that.
    Last edited by Silktree; 9th May 2013 at 08:06 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Akai View Post
    There you have it. Some people, such as myself, don't live in countries where Nintendo games are made available in a timely fashion. Suffice to say that eShop can make a huge difference in some cases.
    I never did say that I nor my friend's boyfriend live in a country where game stores aren't readily available. The two of us live in Canada, and when hunting for the games we wanted, we checked practically every single passing week.

Besides, even if I could access the eShop, I'd still rather have the physical copies over digital copies any day.

Edit: The only reason I can see to discontinuing physical copies would be an attempt to 'go greener' in a sense. I notice that physical copies have much smaller, more simpler manuals in their boxes compared to manuals of previous generations, not to mention that recycle symbol inside the box. The lack of manuals is a little disappointing to me (mainly because I like looking at the art in them), but I can live without manuals. I approve the notion of going greener, but if that equates to discontinued physical copies, then I'm against it.
    Last edited by Isamu Akai; 9th May 2013 at 03:52 PM.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

They'll never go 100% digital. At least for a long while. It'll be at least a decade or two before they do something like that. I, and thousands of others, far prefer physical games, and they would probably lose a good deal of their market if they completely transitioned.

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME sonic10158's Avatar

Another thing, why on earth are digital copies of the EXACT same game the same price as the retail version. That in itself means you are paying for a rip off.

Physical copy: you get the game in a cartridge, a box, and a manual (all of which cost money to print/make) for $40 or $60 depending on if you are getting a console or handheld.

Digital copy: you get none of the extra things that physical copies come with, but still you pay $40 or $60 depending on whether you get a console or handheld game. Rip off.

But, if nintendo were completely getting rid of physical copies, they would not have wasted time putting in a cartirdge slot

Top game series: Pokémon, Mass Effect, Mario, Sonic, Batman Arkham, Ace Combat, Forza, GTA, Sly Cooper, etc

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Shinx View Post
    I went to Best Buy today to get some point cards, and one of the employees there (after helping me find them) said that he heard that Nintendo was thinking of removing all of the hard copies of the games and only selling digital copies.
    That employee is full of rubbish. Nintendo currently have no plans to go digital only. They do release some games as digital only, but those titles are much smaller than the larger, retail games. For the full retail games, while Nintendo's digital sales are increasing, they are still in the minority (the biggest digital seller, Fire Emblem: Awakening, had 1/3rd of its total sales being digital). What Nintendo is doing however, is starting to offer digital download cards in stores (I believe Sony and Microsoft already do the same though?), so that customers have the option of both the physical and digital while in a store.

Nintendo are trying to promote the eShop a lot more though (possibly because they get more money from a digital game sale than a physical). An example of how is the "Too Many Games" promotion going on in the UK, where if you register 3 out of a select 8 games on Club Nintendo before 30th June, you can get a digital copy of any of the remaining five games for free (Which are Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins, Luigi's Mansion 2, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. All solid titles. I have 2/3 registered after I registered my FE and my younger brother's Luigi's Mansion. So I'll probably buy Animal Crossing when it comes out and get a free digital copy of Monster Hunter to go with my Wii U copy.

Personally, I want to embrace digital 3DS games more. With Wii U, I'm sticking to retail due to the more storage capacity on the system (and I don't want to fork out for a USB hard-drive yet). With the 3DS, I have a 16GB SD card and I can see the benefits of having a title digitally (and in fact, I own New Super Mario Bros. 2 digitally). The only reason I didn't buy Fire Emblem from the eShop, was because of a pre-order bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    They'll never go 100% digital. At least for a long while. It'll be at least a decade or two before they do something like that. I, and thousands of others, far prefer physical games, and they would probably lose a good deal of their market if they completely transitioned.
    I don't think you are right. I think its sooner than you think. PC gaming is mostly digital and those games are actually cheaper than console games. PC is ahead of consoles in regards to gaming tho. Idk about you but I love buying steam games. So quick and easy. Same with all apps on ur phones or tablets. That's 100% digital

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast