Pokemon Smash Discussion Thread (SEE FIRST POST!) - Page 60

Page 60 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
Like Tree611Likes

Thread: Pokemon Smash Discussion Thread (SEE FIRST POST!)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokemon Smash Discussion Thread

@pastabender; As much as I would love a Sableye evolution, I rather doubt we will get one, as its already an excellent pokemon, competitively. But if it did get one, that shit would be on my team immediately. I'll save a spot through the whole game for it.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Blog Entries

Sableye is UU, it is far from being excellent competitively and I don't think Game Freak care if a Pokémon is or isn't good competitively. Even if they do care, they could always balance Sableye's evolution with its stats/ability/etc.

Wis

Any video of Pokemon Smash with Sylveon vs. Salamence?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Reila View Post
    Sableye is UU, it is far from being excellent competitively and I don't think Game Freak care if a Pokémon is or isn't good competitively. Even if they do care, they could always balance Sableye's evolution with its stats/ability/etc.
    Um, they do care. As far as I can tell, it's really the main thing they care about, or they wouldn't have bothered making fairy int he first place.
    Phoenixon likes this.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NoirGrimoir View Post
    Um, they do care. As far as I can tell, it's really the main thing they care about, or they wouldn't have bothered making fairy int he first place.
    Well, they gave evolutions to some Pokémon that really didn't need one, like Rhydon, so no, they don't care about a Pokémon being "too strong" when making an evolution. Even if they do care, my point here is taht Sableye isn't strong, it is just an UU Pokémon. Jellicent is strong, Sableye isn't. Also, really? The main point of the Fairy-type is clearly making the franchise feel fresh again, it is for merchandise, not because Game Freak is really concerned about the metagame.

Scandal In The Firenation Akira Bond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Akira Bond on Tumblr

Well, they gave evolutions to some Pokémon that really didn't need one, like Rhydon, so no, they don't care about a Pokémon being "too strong" when making an evolution. Even if they do care, my point here is taht Sableye isn't strong, it is just an UU Pokémon. Jellicent is strong, Sableye isn't. Also, really? The main point of the Fairy-type is clearly making the franchise feel fresh again, it is for merchandise, not because Game Freak is really concerned about the metagame.
    I'd expect Jellicent to have better stats than Sableye. Sableye doesn't have a single weakness, which is why it's stats aren't great. I believe it was stated the reason they created the Fairy Type was to balance out the Dragon type.
    Phoenixon likes this.

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akira Bond View Post

I'd expect Jellicent to have better stats than Sableye. Sableye doesn't have a single weakness, which is why it's stats aren't great. I believe it was stated the reason they created the Fairy Type was to balance out the Dragon type.
    @Reila; NoirGrimoir and Akira Bond are correct. It was directly stated at the round table meeting that the fairy-type was created to balance out dragon-types.
    Last edited by Sakuraa; 17th June 2013 at 08:57 AM.
    Team Gaara and Phoenixon like this.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira Bond View Post

@Relia; NoirGrimoir and Akira Bond are correct. It was directly stated at the round table meeting that the fairy-type was created to balance out dragon-types.
    The point stands that they could have tried to balance dragon any generation of their choosing. It's not like they all of a sudden realized dragon was more powerful than any other type. They've been building them up this way for a few generations now. If they wanted to they could have held out another generation if they wanted. They aren't going to say that they wanted to freshen up the franchise, and they chose to do it this generation.

IMO Dragons didn't really become unbeatable until G4 when the switch from Special Outrage to Physical Outrage suddenly enabled players to boost it via Swords Dance/Dragon Dance (which is 99% the same thing that made Psychic Amnesia Mewtwo totally unbeatable in G1).

It takes time for a metagame to develop around the new gen. Maybe GF figured that all they needed were some stronger/faster Pokemon to counter the G4 Dragon metagame, only to later realize (after the G5 metagame has developed) that effectively nothing has changed and they need to do something more significant.

Dex

Sableye could easily gain 100 BST and still not be overpowered (if anything, it may still get killed in OU), so I don't think an evo is out of the question for those kind of reasons. With the rumors of Mawile getting Fairy + an evo, it would make sense for its counterpart Sableye to get an evo as well. Now, I don't know that those rumors are going to happen, but it is certainly not out of the question.

Go home Kalos rivers, you're drunk.
    My URPG Stats

Follow Tyzerra On Twitter
    Visit Tyzerra's Youtube Channel

What's wrong with more Pokémon working their way into each tier? "The more, the merrier" I say. Besides, I'd rather have more Pokémon shift into OU than a million more lurking in the depths of NU. The more Pokémon that work their way into the higher tiers, the more diverse the metagame becomes. There's no possible negative here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tyzerra View Post
    The more Pokémon that work their way into the higher tiers, the more diverse the metagame becomes. There's no possible negative here.
    (I do want to see more Pokemon with evolutions so they become stronger..)
    However, the more there are in the higher tiers, the more distinguished there strength becomes in one tier. Hence, the stronger ones is "OU" would be the actual OU, while the weaker ones in "OU" would become the UU (or lower..)

What I mean is, say there are (random example) 10 Ninjas. Each are ranked A to J, A being the strongest.
    Hence, we can say there order of strength is
    A
    B
    C
    J

If you could choose any of 5 of these 10 ninjas, you'd choose A-E. Now, let's say somehow, J becomes the strongest, hence the order is:
    J
    A
    B
    C
    I

In this case, the 5 you'd choose would be J, and A,B,C,D.

What I'm trying to say is, by making J stronger, though the strength of E hasn't changed, J will be chosen and E won't be. The same applies to Pokemon. If they suddenly made ALL of them stronger, there would still be stronger ones among them, and weaker among them as well. Hence, tiers will ALWAYS exist, and it's pretty much impossible to put too many Pokemon into one...

(The example may have sucked....)
    NoirGrimoir likes this.
    This is completely beside the point, but I get a warm, fuzzy and vaguely manic feeling when I see all these posts from other forums on here and realize the pokemon fandom is incredibly interconnected. We're all here and there and over there....it's cool in a sort of, "Oh God, I don't know why I'm laughing!" way.

Blog Entries

I'm not saying a Sableye evo is out of the question and I would totally love one, I just don't see it as too likely. Regarding evolutions, you have to keep Eviolite in mind as well (raises holders Def and SpDef 50% if it can evolve). One of the reasons we'll probably never get a Skarmory evo is because Eviolite boosted Skarmory would be pretty damn ridiculous. Sableye isn't really at that point, but I do think he's strong enough that GF would consider the consequences for the game carefully before deciding to go ahead and give him another boost with an evolution. The meta-game is extremely important to game freak, they hold their own tournaments every year and design pokemon carefully around strategies, putting a lot of thought into each pokemon's abilities and attacks and stats. To suggest that GF doesn't care about the meta-game would be just plain incorrect.

Regarding evolutions, you have to keep Eviolite in mind as well (raises holders Def and SpDef 50% if it can evolve). One of the reasons we'll probably never get a Skarmory evo is because Eviolite boosted Skarmory would be pretty damn ridiculous.
    Which is the only ting I like about Scizor these days: It gives Scyther the ability to equip Eviolite in G5.

Blog Entries

Follow pastabender on Tumblr

So the XY segment just finished, and as expected, nothing really new.

They showed videos of Noivern against Gliscor, where it used Boomburst again, and one of Talonflame v Amoonguss. I'm pretty positive Talonflame used Brave Bird which looked absolutely epic - by far the best animation for a move I've seen thus far. I think I remember someone saying they showed it at the E3 roundtable and they said it looked amazing.

Apart from that though I have zero skill regarding the Japanese language so no idea if anything else was relevant (I doubt it was - there was apples and guys in Hawaiian shirts aka typical Smash).

Page 60 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast