Pokemon Renaissance?

View Poll Results: What do you think of GF's claim of an "inventive rebirth?"

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • It'll be a true Pokemon Renaissance! Sweeping overhauls in most parts of the games.

7 10.94%
  • Their claim is a bit inflated. They might change some stuff, but not a massive amount.

49 76.56%
  • They're bluffing! They'll probably only change a few things & pass it off as a rebirth.

8 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Renaissance?

Default Pokemon Renaissance?

So, with Game Freak claiming that Generation V will be an "inventive rebirth" of Pokemon, do you take them seriously? To what extent do you think this will be a Pokemon "Renaissance" as I like to call it? Do you think that there will be complete overhauls in certain parts of the games, that they'll only change and/or overhaul a few aspects of the series, or that they're basically bluffing & that there will be barely any changes in terms of gameplay?

Imo, I think their original claim of Gen V being a rebirth is a bit inflated (like every informercial you've ever seen.) There might be some major changes to some parts of the games, but the overall core of the series will remain unchanged. I think this generation will have more action in it since GF has been hinting at that for a while now. I think that there won't be nearly as many older Pokemon in the regional PokeDex for the new region either. But other than that, I think that's about all they'll do.

So what do you think? Will this be a true Pokemon Renaissance or a bluff?

Default Re: Pokemon Renaissance?

A bit of both. If you completly change the whole Pokemon everything, it kinda loses its charm or style.

I like to save the beef for my tacos, so that's why my sig isn't that...well,beefy. (:

Reshiram is for those who are cool.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

There should be an I don't know option.

See, I believe them on the fact they're doing a rebirth. But how much of a rebirth are we talking? That's the question. I doubt it'll be a totally reboot, but there have to be some significant changes.

In the end, it's too early to tell. It's anyone's game on what the effects of this rebirth will be. But I'm sure it's happening. I'll trust in GF on that.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

Depends on what you mean by "renaissance". If you take it literally like above, as a rebirth, then I will agree with you that that is all rhetoric. We got the same for D/P. If you mean it as a return to high popularity, then I will equally say that is highly unlikely. HG/SS had the greatest chance of doing that, and while I don't have the figures, I think it did do well, but not as well as to rejuvenate the fandom entirely. Too many people were butthurt for that to happen. Don't get me wrong, it probably did bring back a lot of people that have been sleeping since G/S/C, but not enough to actually matter. I see the reaction to what we know of B/W, and I can already tell you, HG/SS is the closest we're going to get to a "renaissance" in that matter. The fandom is too unrealistic for a new gen to do that well. There is no argument to be made there to me.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Could you imagine what this would be like if Peter Molyneux were the head of GameFreak? Shit would be epic. And by epic, I mean disappointing.

But really, you know what you get if you reinvent Pokemon? Ranger.
    SoulSilver FC: 3782 1205 0348
    Platinum FC: 2879 5571 5372

I think instead of a quote, I might just start listing the number of people whose signatures contain quotes by me. My goal is to be in ALL OF THEM.

Well, since they haven't specified how much they plan to change, I suggest the fans not inflate the hype machine any more than it has been, particularly when it comes to putting words in Game Freak's mouth.

If you want to talk 'Renaissance', then believe Generation IV handled that nicely, since it came about when the Internet was hitting its strongest growth. And the games lavishly embraced such wide-spread fandom.
    V Faction: Bulbatized

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3136 - 6603 - 1330

I really do think pokemon is going to have a true return to form or renaissance because we could have gotten one in generation III but they could not do it.Neither in generation IV because they fixed some problems from gen III so why should we not get one this gen

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

I'd say it's more of a spiritual rebirth than a physical one. Like, rather than resetting the franchise, GameFreak is realising lost potential, and is exploiting those in the new games.

Also, I so thought this thread was about setting Pokémon in a Renaissance period...T_T

It's way too early to tell, but my gut feeling is falling somewhere between Option 1 and Option 2 - not be a completely genre-redefining new outing, but still more of a change from Gen. IV than any other change between generations so far.

追放されたバカ
    Where both beef and dreams are super-sized
    Blog Entries

Well, we all know what happened the last time it seemed that Game Freak tried to reboot the series. *cough*rubyandsapphire*cough*

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think (and kind of hope) they're going back to basics, which is the "rebirth" thing. They're going back to their birth, maybe in Pokemon style and storytelling (simple, uncomplicated and fun). That said, I don't think it's going to be genre breaking in any way, just going back to what made the franchise so popular in the first place. I could do with a return to simple Pokemon designs and non-legendary obsessed evil teams. At this point, it could even be considered something fresh (ironically). Maybe this is all wishful thinking though.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko-kun View Post
    Well, we all know what happened the last time it seemed that Game Freak tried to reboot the series. *cough*rubyandsapphire*cough*
    My thoughts exactly. Why does it need a revamp anyways? DPPt did just fine.

Need a Pokemon? PM me on weekends.

Flame wars FTW

Blog Entries

Well the battle "system" is already getting a lot of differences, in the past games it was back sprite vs sprite, at a very 2-D angle. Now they made it at a nice angle, kind of 3D-ish and is now showing the full backside of a Pokemon. Should do wonders for Pokemon like Geodude (or was like Geodude, don't remember it's HGSS Backsprite), who have very crappy backsprites (and only showing they very tip of their head).

There's also the camera angle, instead of having it locked, they seem to be allowing it to be unlocked with the possibility of having the camera angle shifted based on what the user wants. Maybe something like Super Mario 64 (or the DS version for a better analogy). Which in my opinion would be really neat.

But I don't think anything is going to be too different. It'll probably be the same primarily with just quite a few layout changes that are different then any Pokemon handheld game so far. So that's probably what they meant. It'll be very different then the Pokemon Games were used to because the layout is so different, but it'll still have the same thing as the other Pokemon Games. Like Gyms, Elite Four, etc.

So I don't think they meant reboot, just it'll feel unfamiliar because of the layout changes.

learn it live it love it venusboi79's Avatar

I definitely see this as option 2. We've already seen some new things from the screenshots we got the other day. We had the interesting launch of a remake, with new features, roughly a year before these games launch. And we have some precedent with RS making changes.

So while I highly doubt it will bring about Dragonite Age: The Capturing, I do think we'll see some interesting tweaks to how the game feels.

Damn, ninja'd, sort of, by d-man.

Pokemon Trainer/breeder captainpost's Avatar

What was so wrong with ruby and saphire? I loved them. I think they get a bad rap.
    3DS Code: 0001-4606-5590
    3DS Name: Charles
    Trainer Name:Charles
    Pokemon X Trainer ID:11331

Safari Type: Ground with Phanpy, Camerupt and Palpitoad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast