Pokemon has so much potential...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon has so much potential...

Pokemon Breeder <3

Arrow Pokemon has so much potential...

...I don't know why Nintendo squanders one of it's best franchises by making the exact same game over and over again....

Don't get me wrong. I love the Pokemon games, but we've essentially been playing the EXACT same game for 10+ years

Like many of us here, I have played through: R/B/G/Y/S/G/C/R/S/E/D/P/Pt/HG/SS And aside from slight atheistic difference, each and every one of those games played out the EXACT same way.
    Sure, there are different Pokemon, new attacks, new gym leaders, different towns/other places to explore. But all of those things are only skin deep...

The fact is, every hand-held Pokemon game has followed the same formula.
    (I'm sure no one needs me to explain this, but for argument sake:)
    You start as a Pokemonless kid from X, who helps professor X who in return gives you one of three starter Pokemon.
    You then travel around being randomly assaulted by people and Pokemon who force you into closed, turn based 1vs1 or 2vs2 battle.
    You can only attack by selected one of 4 moves from a set that is either learned by leveling or by TM/HM.
    You go from town to town, leveling your team and catching new Pokemon after weakening them in battle. You battle the gym leader and get a badge. Then move on to the next town.
    Eventually after foiling a team of thugs you'll get 8 badges then pwn the Elite 4. Then beat your rival.
    The end.

I was preying that B/W would be a welcomed break from this formula.
    Now please don't be an idiot and flame me, I think that the basic Pokemon game play style is amazing!
    But I also think that Pokemon has so much more potential!

From what I've seen so far, B/W seems like the same shit, just with more pretty(pointless) atheistic changes piled on. Maybe it's just because I'm not as pleased by things like 'new' Pokemon or silly Nintendo stylist gimmicks, but I'm really worried that B/W will be BORING.
    There are just only so many YEARS I can spend playing the exact same game =x

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokemon has so much potential...

Yes, because six images and one video tells that BW is exactly like the last 14 years.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

This seems more like a blog...

but don't buy the game if it's old and boring
    "If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, the possibility of life is destroyed." - Alexander Supertramp

I tried pretty hard my whole life what I'd call my best...I'm proud that I'm not proud.

Pokemon Breeder <3

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakesh! View Post
    Yes, because six images and one video tells that BW is exactly like the last 14 years.
    Considering Nintendo's ridiculously long history of beating a dead horse till it turns to dust...

I really really hope that B/W brings something new to the Pokemon world as far as game play goes.
    But I've learned over the past few years not to get your hopes up -__-;;

Visit Rocky505's Youtube Channel

RSE brought double battles, natures, abilities, battle frontier. Every game isnt the same. since gen 2 every gen has added something new.

Pokemon Breeder <3

Quote Originally Posted by TheKam1993 View Post
    RSE brought double battles, natures, abilities, battle frontier. Every game isnt the same. since gen 2 every gen has added something new.
    None of those new things have effected the basic game play.
    Natures and abilities may have slightly modified your strategy to finding a wild Pokemon to train. But neither feature has a big enough impact on game play to consider RSE any different then the past games.
    You still have 6 Pokemon who for some reason can't seem to remember more then 4 attacks. You still have to partake in eight, closed, turn based, gyms before facing the final 4(+rvial) closed, turn based, battles.

Blog Entries

I think you should look into the metagame.
    "If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, the possibility of life is destroyed." - Alexander Supertramp

I tried pretty hard my whole life what I'd call my best...I'm proud that I'm not proud.

If you dont like it then dont play it. The games are different they may have a similar pattern for the story in every gen but there are still differences.

Pokemon Breeder <3

If you dont like it then dont play it. The games are different they may have a similar pattern for the story in every gen but there are still differences.
    Are you illiterate?
    Did you not comprehend that part of my first post? That part I BOLDED, even.
    Don't get me wrong. I love the Pokemon games
    Also, I didn't deny the games having differences.
    The point I'm trying to make is that all the changes made through-out the last few games have, for the good majority, have been nothing but atheistic changes.
    We are still playing the same basic game as we were with R/B/G/Y
    And that's really sad, since Pokemon could be capable of so much more...

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry-FOXY-Cake View Post
    Are you illiterate?
    Did you not comprehend that part of my first post? That part I BOLDED, even.

Also, I didn't deny the games having differences.
    The point I'm trying to make is that all the changes made through-out the last few games have, for the good majority, have been nothing but atheistic changes.
    We are still playing the same basic game as we were with R/B/G/Y
    And that's really sad, since Pokemon could be capable of so much more...
    It isnt really sad, if they did change those ways the franchise would most likely die. If you love the games then why are you sad that it hasnt changed.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Got any ideas you want to share?

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

I'm not trying to be sarcastic here when I ask- what would YOU consider a valid improvement? I'm just truly curious, as I'm not quite getting what you're after.

It's obvious that you enjoyed the RBGY days. Since then we have had the Stadium series, Colosseum/XD series, Mystery Dungeon series, Ranger series, Hey You Pikachu type games series, Snap, the Pinball series... what more would you have them add to the main gameplay?

Since RBGY, we've added natures, abilities, an insanely complicated IV system, double battles, shinies, individual traits that effect stats, contests, the Pokeathelon... what exactly are you after?

I would almost argue that the games are getting too complicated now. Especially with a metagame that centers almost entirely around numbers that have to be monitored by keeping tally sheets and then updating them into a calculator on the computer, I feel that the games were more enjoyable on an everyday basis when the movesets meant more than the perfect nature/IVs/EVs/traits. So I'm in agreement with you there. What I'm interested to know is just- what more can they do? We've had a bucket full of spinoffs that completely changed the gameplay like the PMD games, what more can be done to the core series?

Pokemon Breeder <3

It isnt really sad, if they did change those ways the franchise would most likely die. If you love the games then why are you sad that it hasnt changed.
    Wow, are you serious? ROFL

Got any ideas you want to share?
    If Nintendo created a non-linear Pokemon game, with live battles, a strong focus on character customization, and real-time multiplayer, you're telling me that the franchise would DIE?
    You seriously believe no one would want to play an awesome game like that? Well kiddo, you're welcome to keep fiddling around with the same old toy. But I want something new and shinny, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd agree.

The original Pokemon game is fantastic. Too bad I've played that same damn game for 10+ years straight. You might be entertained by endless repetition, but I'd much prefer something different!

With the capabilities of the Wii, MMORPGs making the fat cash they now, Nintendo would be foolish to not branch out and expand their most adaptable franchise.

Blog Entries
    Follow Takoto On Twitter
    Follow Takoto on Tumblr

To be honest, I partly agree with Strawberry, but when has a main-series Pokémon game ever been radically different? They all follow the basic formula of "beat gyms, beat bad guys, beat elite four" and now in more recent games "beat frontier".

You can say "METAGAME!" or you can call out changes like "DOUBLE BATTLES!" but the story line is always so similar. Sure they sugar-coat it a little to make it slightly less repetitive, but look at the basics, and you'll see.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently to be honest, and whilst ether way I will buy Pokémon Black and/or White regardless of story (I buy Pokémon for the Pokémon and characters, not really for the plot line), it would be nice for Nintendo/Game Freak to shake things up a little more... Not that they really have to, millions of people would still buy the games regardless of how amazing or terrible the story-line is.

*prepares shield for incoming rage*
    Last edited by Takoto; 27th April 2010 at 07:02 PM.

~Giovanni Fan|★|Silver Fan~
    ★ An Illustration student from the UK; with a particular love of black tea, cats, deer, jellyfish, octopus, moths and the colour purple ★
    ♥ Umbreon, Gardevoir, Drifloon, Joltik, Gengar, Malamar ♥ Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Darkrai, Xerneas ♥
    ~ DeviantArtTwitterTumblr ~

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry-FOXY-Cake View Post
    Wow, are you serious? ROFL

If Nintendo created a non-linear Pokemon game, with live battles, a strong focus on character customization, and real-time multiplayer, you're telling me that the franchise would DIE?
    You seriously believe no one would want to play an awesome game like that? Well kiddo, you're welcome to keep fiddling around with the same old toy. But I want something new and shinny, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd agree.

The original Pokemon game is fantastic. Too bad I've played that same damn game for 10+ years straight. You might be entertained by endless repetition, but I'd much prefer something different!

With the capabilities of the Wii, MMORPGs making the fat cash they now, Nintendo would be foolish to not branch out and expand their most adaptable franchise.
    Way to spell shiny.

And anyway, like others have said, if you're bored of the games, here's an idea.

DON'T PLAY THEM.
    Scandolous, right?

I like to save the beef for my tacos, so that's why my sig isn't that...well,beefy. (:

Reshiram is for those who are cool.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast