Pokemon AR Searcher / "Pokémon Dream Radar" - Page 4

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Pokemon AR Searcher / "Pokémon Dream Radar"

Default Re: Pokemon AR Searcher

People need to use some common sense and stop beating themselves up over what the silhouetted pokemon is.

To start off, realistically a new pokemon is not going to be revealed via a silhoutte from a periphery application for B2W2. Also the only reason to use a silhouette is to hide the pokemon's true identity and make it difficult to recognise, especially if it is a legendary pokemon like Articuno.

The distortion is likely due to different artistic representations of a pokemon in an augmented reality, as well as a 2D silhouette being placed over the top of a 3D model in an unknown aspect. It is not likely that all 3D models are going to be 100% anatomically correct in a 300 Yen downloadable accessory for the new games. I must admit that the bumps on the wings look odd, but the rest of the features as well as the pose match Articuno, albeit in a distorted scale.

Personally I'm more excited about the abilty to send pokemon back to the games and the possibilities that it brings. Hopefully it works similarly to the pokewalker with the pokemon obtained having the possibility of altered movesets, held items or abilites.

Blog Entries

I'm curious about the application in general. Which rare Pokémon will be available? Will they have hidden abilities? There should still be nearly 600 obtainable Pokémon in B2W2, but perhaps the old Pokémon that have yet to be made available in the Dream World have been reserved for the application. We know that the Dream World will be expanded, as well, but the update may be limited to the Generation V critters. Of course, there may also be overlaps with the Dream World.
    Last edited by Silktree; 21st April 2012 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slowkingsley View Post
    People need to use some common sense and stop beating themselves up over what the silhouetted pokemon is.
    i did use common sense! it doesn't match anything. people who think its articuno.. i can't understand that. why would its tail be over its head that way, its legs are too thick, and... i'm not going to repeat all my reasons, but i'm not beating myself up. i'm looking at it logically to place it from a list of similar pokemon and its not working out, is all. hiding a pokemon's true identity is a fine idea and all, but why warp it so badly that some people think articuno, some people say archeops, some people say ho oh, and the rest see it matches none of those in many aspects? it's just fun, that's all. i think folks saying its 'obviously this bird' aren't thinking it through.

if someone can draw any of those birds into that shape and make it work, let's talk XD but i am using common sense. common sense says "it's probably not new...but then what is it". and nobody can give me an answer that doesn't include "well if you take it to be distorted/ignore that one part/change that one part"...

also, in response to it being 300 yen meaning it'll have crappy graphics... pokedex 3D had amazing graphics that were 100% anatomically correct... and it was free :D
    Last edited by sunyshore; 21st April 2012 at 01:34 AM.

El_
    Blog Entries

Looked more like Archeops than Articuno body wise, but thats just me. If that is its face I'm seeing then it is not Articuno, and its missing its three little crest that its known for.

N set by smalllady
    Ideals/Truth

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's baby Carnivine!

went searching. body shape does resemble. the rest looks like a no-go. 2chan's also shot down ho-oh, articuno and archeops as well. guess we keep pondering the bird.

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

It's....

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Pokémon AR Searcher sounds absolutely badass - if anything, I'm amazed they aren't charging Pokédex 3D Pro's 1500yen for this xD.

Who's betting Hidden Abilities will be made available through this?
    Last edited by Joshawott; 21st April 2012 at 05:17 AM.
    The_Doctor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sunyshore View Post
    i did use common sense! it doesn't match anything. people who think its articuno.. i can't understand that. why would its tail be over its head that way, its legs are too thick, and... i'm not going to repeat all my reasons, but i'm not beating myself up. i'm looking at it logically to place it from a list of similar pokemon and its not working out, is all. hiding a pokemon's true identity is a fine idea and all, but why warp it so badly that some people think articuno, some people say archeops, some people say ho oh, and the rest see it matches none of those in many aspects? it's just fun, that's all. i think folks saying its 'obviously this bird' aren't thinking it through.

if someone can draw any of those birds into that shape and make it work, let's talk XD but i am using common sense. common sense says "it's probably not new...but then what is it". and nobody can give me an answer that doesn't include "well if you take it to be distorted/ignore that one part/change that one part"...

also, in response to it being 300 yen meaning it'll have crappy graphics... pokedex 3D had amazing graphics that were 100% anatomically correct... and it was free :D
    I probably didn't get my point across as eloquently as I would have liked. While I believe the silhouette to be Articuno, because it contains its distinctive features, it doesn't matter that the features are distorted. Also if you 'just can't see it', it doesn't mean it's not there, but hidden. There are plenty of reasons why the model could have distorted or missing features, but the reason why they are distorted or missing is hidden behind the silhouette. Every sprite or model of a pokemon is going to be slightly different. For example you provided a 3D model of Articuno with an abnormally small tail as proof that the silhouette can't be Articuno because it has abnormally large feet despite having the same body shape.

There is also the distinct possibilty that the angle or positioning of the 3D model hides some of the prominent features of a pokemon and exaggerates others. For example, the model could be a rear shot of Articuno, as in the user is chasing it, which could explain the prominence of the tail in the foreground, the largeness of the feet as they are closer to the camera, and the lack of spikes on the forehead as they are in the distance or hidden by the head/tail. This is just one example of why the features could be distorted.

In regards to the graphics, I know that the 3DS has amazing graphical capabilities as demonstrated by the the pokedex 3D, but we can't assume that the pokedex 3D and AR searcher are created by the same companies. All we have to go on is a couple of still shots from the game, one showcasing Ralts which is a fairly simplistic design. We can't really guage the quality of the graphics of more elaborately designed pokemon like Articuno, good or bad, so there is also the possibility the distortion is due to poor model design.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Cryogonal Avian Form!

A man can dream...

I probably didn't get my point across as eloquently as I would have liked. While I believe the silhouette to be Articuno, because it contains its distinctive features, it doesn't matter that the features are distorted. Also if you 'just can't see it', it doesn't mean it's not there, but hidden. There are plenty of reasons why the model could have distorted or missing features, but the reason why they are distorted or missing is hidden behind the silhouette. Every sprite or model of a pokemon is going to be slightly different. For example you provided a 3D model of Articuno with an abnormally small tail as proof that the silhouette can't be Articuno because it has abnormally large feet despite having the same body shape.
    Well that is just one image of Articuno.... but he does have very skinny legs. It's his design. Why would they change them to be short and fat, along with many other things? Also you say distinctive features of Articuno, but I don't see anything that looks like Articuno. What features do you see? :O

As for the head thing, I just don't know how it can be Articuno's tail. It would be such a strange pose. Can anyone draw it in to make it work? Maybe I am just not seeing the same thing.

I just can't see anything about the bird resembling Articuno or any of the "distinctive features". I welcome images or anything to help me. I am not arguing that it's absolutely a new Pokemon or anything, I just can't be convinced yet it's a bird we have seen already.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunyshore View Post

There is also the distinct possibilty that the angle or positioning of the 3D model hides some of the prominent features of a pokemon and exaggerates others. For example, the model could be a rear shot of Articuno, as in the user is chasing it, which could explain the prominence of the tail in the foreground, the largeness of the feet as they are closer to the camera, and the lack of spikes on the forehead as they are in the distance or hidden by the head/tail. This is just one example of why the features could be distorted.

In regards to the graphics, I know that the 3DS has amazing graphical capabilities as demonstrated by the the pokedex 3D, but we can't assume that the pokedex 3D and AR searcher are created by the same companies. All we have to go on is a couple of still shots from the game, one showcasing Ralts which is a fairly simplistic design. We can't really guage the quality of the graphics of more elaborately designed pokemon like Articuno, good or bad, so there is also the possibility the distortion is due to poor model design.
    Bad design or distortion or whatever isn't gonna give us round things in the middle of Articuno's hands no matter what you say. I do agree it would be weird to have a Pokemon hinted at in an AR searcher, but considering how the Pokemon go to B2W2, and we might indeed be getting something new, is it too hard to guess that this is a new Pokemon forme?
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Judging from the wings, I would have said Archeops, but then the feet look completely different.

The main thing that confuses me though, is the head.

EDIT: Wait...isn't it possible that it's flying away from the camera? Looks like it to me.
    Last edited by Joshawott; 21st April 2012 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    Judging from the wings, I would have said Archeops, but then the feet look completely different.

The main thing that confuses me though, is the head.

EDIT: Wait...isn't it possible that it's flying away from the camera? Looks like it to me.
    my friend and i talked and talked and talked about it possibly being flying towards, or away from, the camera, and it still didn't change the things that don't match up to articuno, archeops, or ho-oh. in some cases it made it harder to pinpoint it.

we need a good artist to come and try to draw those birds into that shape somehow, i think.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

It is flying away surely, as you can see the tail bend in between the feet. Still, that circle bit in the wing's aint normal, no matter what Pokemon it is.
    Joshawott likes this.
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast