Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Pokémon you didn't expect to like

Im building up on posts:3 mewing mewie mew's Avatar

Visit mewing mewie mew's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Pokémon you didn't expect to like

I used to hate bidoof, until i saw patrat GET OUTTA MY LIFE PATRAT -_-

Blog Entries

Corsola surprised me in HG. I always thought it was one of those "cute but useless" types like Pachirisu. You know, the ones you can't even use reliably in-game.
    Then I actually caught one. Holy hell, this thing is like Satan. No, Ultra Satan. Maybe I just got a really good one, I don't know.

Of course, just sending it out makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. IT'S SO CUTE.
    rafaelluik likes this.

I thought Sigilyph had one of the most ridiculous designs and I hated the way it looked.

But then when I caught one and started training it and found out it's actually pretty good. Now it's one of my Gen V faves.

The Badassest Gardevoir BadAssGardevoir's Avatar

My Jumpluff on SS: Sleep powder, Leech seed and U-turn to switch to another Pokemon or Giga drain to recover health and you've got a Pokemon who can be DEADLY (as long as my foe doesn't outspeed me.) To think I thought of using the Bellsprout line! Also when I was training a Scolopeide to breed Megahorn onto my Escavalier I found that it was actually quite good.
    Last edited by BadAssGardevoir; 9th May 2013 at 12:11 AM.
    Bulbagarden Battle leauge Fairy Gym Leader (THIS IMPLIES NOTHING!) and temporary Bug Gym leader.

Claims:Zorua, Naght daze and Stance change.

Shifting Strategies Lupine Volt's Avatar

Follow Lupine Volt on Tumblr

Like a bunch of others here, Sigilyph for me, and just now, really. I started a new game of White 2 and decided instead of a starter I'd just use whatever the first Pokemon the Dream Radar spat out at me. I was thinking it'd be Swablu or Munna or Riolu, but, instead, Sigilyph popped out, for the first time.

She's plowed through the first three gyms pretty much on her own. Unfortunately, that may end with Elesa.

Registered User HoppytheCourier's Avatar

When I was a kid I always dismissed Magikarp as a useless Pokemon but, Gyarados is worth all the adversity. I also really like Zubat and Tentacool because of how useful their evolutions are. Finally, I was also surprised by how much I liked Togekiss.

一級空手家! Water Max's Avatar Bulbanews Writer
    Blog Entries
    Follow Water Max On Twitter Add Water Max on Facebook
    Add Water Max on Linkedin Follow Water Max on Tumblr Visit Water Max's Youtube Channel

I didn't expect to like Pansage and Azumarill which I used in White 2 and Black 2 respectively but they were very useful in my parties until I reached Opelucid City Gym when I replaced them with Virizion and Starmie respectively for STAB Fighting and Psychic moves.
    Staff member of Bulbanews (Writer).
    Original Poster of the Kingdom of Pokémon [v1.5]-[v4].
    I've claimed Cacturne, Suicune, Hustle, Hydro Cannon and Gary.

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Watchog. I have to admit, the Patrat line is my least favorite of the rodents. And unlike others, I've never used one one any of my teams (or at least, not for very long). But I recently caught a Watchog in White and it's awesome for catching! I haven't deposited her since. I may need to pick one up in Black 2.

Blog Entries

Follow JLomb on Tumblr

Flareon. Umbreon was my favorite Eeveelution until I started FireRed, and then it just sorta hit me that Flareon was awesome.
    Boosh!

3DS FC: 3265-5253-3343

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Conkeldurr no doubt. When I saw Conky for the first time, I was like "awful design". After using him both competitively and ingame, I've warmed upto him. Now, I also think of him as the old captain of the team, with loads of experience and ability but no speed, like in football, so I appreciate his design as well now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

Togekiss, Camerupt and ambipom. I never used them except to complete the dex, but, to my surprise, these three were surprisingly useful!
    Man, when you stop to think of it DP did have some crap in it. Its just that when people think about DP, they only remember Paul, Pokehunter J/Galactic and all the Gyms and Contests episodes....basically the good parts.
    And... there are actually a lot of BW episodes that have pissed me off. By this point it'd be easier to just list the ones that I can stand to watch. The more the series progresses, the more the writing of these episodes piss me off.

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sawk. At first I didn't think much of it because of its design, but it's surprising very strong.
    Silverwynde likes this.

Zeb
    making a splash Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Unfezant. I was so-so on the design, I thought it looked a little weird, and I also felt a little put off using one since it didn't learn Brave Bird or any of the like, but it's actually really good in-game. It was my least favourite regional bird, but not anymore (it's not my favourite, but it's certainly moved up the rankings). I have one on my current White 2 team and I can't believe I ignored it all this time. Sure it's not amazing, but it's still pretty good. (Also female design > male imo.)
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Emboar--I didn't really like getting another Fire/Fighting type to the point where I didn't even choose one until Black 2. Though, when I did raise it, it was actually better than I thought. It's still my least favorite out of the Fire/Fighting starters, but it can learn a few good moves and can be quite useful in battle.

Volcarona--I liked its design, but I generally didn't like Bug types prior to raising one. There weren't a lot of Bug types that appealed to me. I decided to give it a shot in White and I'm so glad that I did. It was so strong, especially after using Quiver Dance, and it made me more interested in raising Bug types for future teams.

Eeelektross--Again, I kind of liked its design, but being so slow was a bit of a turnoff. I have one in my White 2 team and the new moves it can learn make it so useful, especially Drain Punch while holding Leftovers.

Togekiss--I never really thought much of Togekiss prior to raising one in Platinum. It just improves on Togetic so much and it's one of my best Pokemon on that team.

Where is my Mega Zoroark? Bad Apple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Larvesta.

Why Larvesta you ask? Well for starters when I first got into Pokemon and got my first game, I hardly even knew stats existed until I got Black 2. So I didn't like it because it's evolution, Volcarona, has the highest base stat (I know Genesect is stronger, but I'm talking about non-legendaries) out of all Bug-Type Pokemon. Anyway, when I first got the egg in my White version, I had absolutely no idea what was going to be inside it (mostly because I wanted it to stay a surprise and I was too lazy to look it up). Because I was/am obsessed with Zoroark, I was praying that it would be a Zorua.

Then came the possibly most awkward final gym battle ever. I still had the egg in my party and I was just going through the Dragon Gym beating the trainers to reach Iris. Finally, I was only one step away from her, then all of the sudden, a text box appeared on the screen saying: "Oh?" . I'm all like "WHAAAT?! CAN'T YOU SEE I'M BUSY!?" So I clicked the A button, and I was taken to the screen that would show the egg hatching. That was when I had a heart attack, and the whole time during the long hatching animation, I was shouting "ZORUA!"

And then out came some weird fire bug thing with horns, I was extremely disappointed. I had no idea what the hell it was since I've never seen it in the wild and no one in the game has ever mentioned it, so I named my female Larvesta "WTF". I gave it my Exp. Share before the battle with Iris, and she leveled up insanely after the other Pokemon fainted. So after that, I even considered abandoning WTF in my box because of how disappointed I was. But then, I decided to give her a chance at life, since I did go through all the trouble of walking around with her egg. I started using her in battles against weaker Pokemon, and I eventually saw that her weird appearance looks kind of cute if you stare at her long enough. I decided to be a little nicer to her, so I went to the name rater and changed her name from WTF to Rin (like the cute child character from Inuyasha). After that I slowly leveled up Rin and got more comfortable with her. I didn't realize how much I actually loved her until I got into a really tough battle and I was using her in a battle, then the other Pokemon knocked her out in one hit. That was when I thought, "You monster! She was only a child!" Then I sent out my Samurott to serve Justice and Vengeance for my fainted Larvesta. Months later, Rin finally evolved and I was extremely proud (Volcarona is beautiful and badass). So now, if I get a Larvesta in Pokemon X, I'll definitely name her Rin II.

Good lord, I get sentimental over my Pokemon...
    "I see you have no soul. Want mine? It's black and gooey" -The Frozen Man

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast