Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Pokémon XY have Australian Classification Board Ratings

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default Pokémon XY have Australian Classification Board Ratings

Just posted up!

For reference, this rating is HIGHER than the main series thus far. However, it is the same as Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. I'm guessing the reason is due to the higher detail in attacks and such due to the 3D models.

Nyx

Default Re: Pokémon XY have Australian Classification Board Ratings

I hope it's because these games are dealing with darker/more mature themes.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    I hope it's because these games are dealing with darker/more mature themes.
    "Mild themes and violence", which according to the ratings graph, have a "mild impact".

It's worth noting that PMD:GTI was a 3+ in Europe, which is the usual rating for Pokémon games. Could just be Australia being strict.
    Last edited by Joshawott; 22nd May 2013 at 06:45 PM.

Visit Rainbow's Youtube Channel

I find it odd that according to that, Diamond and Pearl were also PG, but Colosseum and XD (which are pretty dark for Pokemon games) are still G.

I saw on the australian government site one of the categories was "themes" the others were like sexual content, violence etc. the ones that make sense but what exactly is "themes" supposed to mean? Because "themes" along with violence were the only ones marked as having "mild impact". Is this like a more emotionally jarring storyline? perhaps death!?

Also does this rating mean that they've played the game? or at least part of it? or are they rating it off the trailers cause that seems a bit presumptive for a standard rating system.
    VINCIT QUI SE VINCIT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rainy Day View Post
    I find it odd that according to that, Diamond and Pearl were also PG, but Colosseum and XD (which are pretty dark for Pokemon games) are still G.
    I just checked my copies of Colosseum and XD and you're right! That is odd. Although I also looked at my copies of DPP and they were PG with 'mild gambling themes'. That may be the cause of the difference. My Emerald box has the old G8+ rating for 'mild gambling themes' as well. Think the Gen 2 games did as well. I guess PG is the closest thing they can get after the rating system changed.

'Mild themes and violence', eh? Not surprising, since pretty much any game that has anyone attacking has the 'mild violence' note. And it doesn't take much for a game to get that. The classification board out here is just that picky.

Dangan Ronpa avatar and sig pic by me. Bases from here.
    3DS Friend Code: 1177-7801-6992. Friend Safari is Psychic with Abra, Espurr and Xatu. If you add me, let me know!
    Me on LiveJournal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rainy Day View Post
    They gave the Sinnoh games a PG rating for mild gambling references (the infamous Game Corner that was removed from HGSS), which hadn't bothered them at all until Crystal was released (they gave it and the Generation III games a G 8+ rating). But it's indeed hard to imagine XY being darker than the Orre games were.
    Last edited by Silktree; 23rd May 2013 at 12:17 AM.

Blog Entries

So wait, the games are actually finished? As in, completely through development? There's still quite a ways 'till release, I was hoping there was some more time left for GameFreak to work on things like the graphics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AceTogeTrainer View Post
    Also does this rating mean that they've played the game? or at least part of it? or are they rating it off the trailers cause that seems a bit presumptive for a standard rating system.
    I also ponder about this........

Quote Originally Posted by Ivysaur View Post
    So wait, the games are actually finished? As in, completely through development? There's still quite a ways 'till release, I was hoping there was some more time left for GameFreak to work on things like the graphics.
    I'm pretty sure the main part of the games that would actually affect the rating are complete, but they would still be fixing up the graphics....
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirGrimoir View Post
    This is completely beside the point, but I get a warm, fuzzy and vaguely manic feeling when I see all these posts from other forums on here and realize the pokemon fandom is incredibly interconnected. We're all here and there and over there....it's cool in a sort of, "Oh God, I don't know why I'm laughing!" way.

Blog Entries

I find it funny that XY and Virtue's Last Reward are both said to feature mild violence. The latter game has a M rating for coarse language and mature themes, but even the violence part (which included several deaths) isn't mild compared to what I would expect from Game Freak.

This is rather unusual. I've looked up Zelda and Mario games released worldwide, and they all seem to have been rated two months before release. It does seem clear that XY's beta-testing stage started earlier than usual, but surely there is a good reason why the games won't be released until October, and the rating can always be updated if necessary.

Didn't the graphics look decent enough in the latest trailer? I wouldn't expect a noticeable improvement.

The classification board put GtI's violence as very mild but XY's violence as one square higher (mild).
    Considering the stuff that happens in Gates to Infinity includes

Then I'd say that XY will be... very interesting...
    I'm not sure if the ratings are this relative though, or if they're stricter on the main games since more people buy them? I'm surprised DPPT got a PG rating despite the GBA games having gambling themes too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hyperspeed View Post
    I'm surprised DPPT got a PG rating despite the GBA games having gambling themes too.
    Probably due to the fact that the G8+ rating no longer exists, so PG is the closest thing that comes to it. G8+ was given out in Gens 2 and 3 for 'mild gambling references' back then, so it's been going on for a while.

Dangan Ronpa avatar and sig pic by me. Bases from here.
    3DS Friend Code: 1177-7801-6992. Friend Safari is Psychic with Abra, Espurr and Xatu. If you add me, let me know!
    Me on LiveJournal

Forbidden Forest Ranger Cosmic Gerbil's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add Cosmic Gerbil on Facebook

I find that weird :S A PG rating in D&P for gambling but B&W gets a U and yet it deals with things such as Pokémon rights/cruelty and child abuse. I wonder what X&Y will have in to warrant the PG rating?
    Exit light
    Enter night
    Take my hand
    We're off to never never-land

Blog Entries

Obviously, the slots have been brought back in XY. :U

Follow Meophist On Twitter

I think the game is probably currently "content-complete", so all of the game content is in now and thus can be submitted for content review. That means stuff like locations, Pokémon designs, story, dialogue, et cetera. Next will come a lot of testing and tweaking, including areas of graphics.
    Phoenixon and Ivysaur like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast