Pokémon Sprites 001-493 Choices?

Thread: Pokémon Sprites 001-493 Choices?

The Man of Squirtles SquirtleMan493's Avatar

Default Pokémon Sprites 001-493 Choices?

So it's not the first time that Pokémon sprites from other games have been recycled for use in new ones (like DP 3rd Gen. sprites being used in HGSS) and such, but I can't help but feel that they made some odd choices over which to use for all Pokémon from 001 to 493 in the dex, non-Unova Pokémon sprites. I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong, but I'm curious as to why they used some of the sprites they did when there were certainly better to choose from. From what I've seen they mostly stuck with DP sprites and Platinum sprites occasionally, while HGSS sprites which I feel were vastly superior. I mean, weren't some DP sprites notable for being lackluster? While Platinum had to fix a lot of them? HGSS used Platinum sprites over DP ones. I mean, I haven't looked at all the Pokémon sprites, but this is just the general impression.

HGSS sprites were so awesome and natural, but a lot of them didn't get carried over. Gyarados, Mewtwo, Moltres sprites are just so much better than their DP sprites pose-wise and proportionally speaking.

I don't know, how do you guys feel and why do you think they opted out of HGSS sprites? Was it because DP and Platinum sprites were easier to fully animate?

HeartGold: 3825-0928-4475 Platinum: 2106-4902-4792 Black: 1978-9522-9634

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokémon Sprites 001-493 Choices?

When I saw the other sprites today I really didn`t like how the majority of them looked like they came out of my Diamond game.
    I play HG moer than D because of the sprites; I don`t know if I`m willing to finish the Unova dex anymore...
    I claimed Victreebel

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

They're all animated though. That practically makes them different.

Something for nothing Cyber Jet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think they would for the most part be easyer to animate.

All thought I love that they gave all gen III pokemon new sprites and there all looking great.

Follow Chika on Tumblr

Yeah, it bugs me that a lot of the Gen I and II ones use their DP sprites instead of HGSS. :C That's one of the reasons why I didn't send certain Pokemon to the Pokewalker, I hated their DP sprites.

Especially Mew. Its DP sprite always bugged me, but before the animated versions of the BW sprites were as easily found, I figured that the animation would make the DP sprite look better. ... It somehow made it worse. It's just so freakishly unnatural to me.

I'm loving the new 3rd gen sprites, though. <3 I'm not a huge Salamence fan, but I STILL can't get over how awesome its BW sprite is. The squished dimensions of the older sprites just never did it justice.

"We understand ideals like love and dreams
    But reality in front of your eyes isn't so easy."

The Man of Squirtles SquirtleMan493's Avatar

Them being "simpler" to animate or not, just look at how some of the sprites match up:

DP........................................HGSS
    compared to
    compared to
    compared to

Those are just some examples though.

HeartGold: 3825-0928-4475 Platinum: 2106-4902-4792 Black: 1978-9522-9634

Blog Entries

i personally preferred the dp mewtwo sprite compared to the hgss one, but i definitely think that the gyarados should have kept its hgss sprite since it just looked so much better and natural, most battles take place on land and not in water so it just makes sense for gyarados to look like it did in hgss, even if it is part flying it still looks like its positioned retardedly