152 37.07%
  • No, wait till Gen 7

16 3.90%
  • No, i dont want r/s/e remakes

47 11.46%
Page 187 of 239 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197237 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,805 of 3582
Like Tree1414Likes

Thread: Pokémon Remake Discussion (Read First Post!)

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokémon Remake Discussion (Read First Post!)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixon View Post
    That is true.. but anyway, the only reason I wanted it to be Yellow specifically is because you get all three starters. I'd be fine with a sequel in Kanto too, but I still want all three starters like in Yellow.
    We don't need to have every starter anymore. With Wi-Fi trading, you can get those other two starters from anyone around the world who's willing to give it to you.

is back for 2014 S.S. Shadow Minun's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow S.S. Shadow Minun On Twitter Add S.S. Shadow Minun on Facebook
    Visit S.S. Shadow Minun's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    What I was thinking, which I find a cool idea, is that they should make RS remakes and then make a Pokemon YELLOW remake (don't know if it's been mentioned before.)
    Remaking Yellow is kind of pointless, we already had FRLG, a Yellow remake would basically be the same as that except with Pikachu (and maybe every other Pokemon) following you and slightly altered distribution. Again, I think going the sequel route is better because it has the potential to bring even more much needed improvements to the region. And Kanto is a region that could sure use some, I think expanding the region to Hoenn/Sinnoh standards and adding in a bunch of Pokemon to make the Kanto Dex more balanced could be a worthwhile endeavor, it would really do a lot to make Kanto feel more modern.
    That is true.. but anyway, the only reason I wanted it to be Yellow specifically is because you get all three starters. I'd be fine with a sequel in Kanto too, but I still want all three starters like in Yellow.
    Remaking Yellow? LOL. Eevee as rival starter could be interesting, but this might be 99.9% unlikely.

We don't need to have every starter anymore. With Wi-Fi trading, you can get those other two starters from anyone around the world who's willing to give it to you.
    Speaking as someone who didn't have any friends with Pokemon games back then, I for one was thrilled that all the starters were available without the need for trading in Yellow. I know GF pretty much expect everyone to have wifi these days so the games are made with this in mind - I do understand that, but it's also a lot of fun to be given rare pokemon in ways other than trading/downloading. Filling up your pokedex and visiting the prof or Steven to get given a starter, for example. That was a lovely little addition in HGSS.

I'm not sure if they'll ever remake the 1st gen games again, but I do agree with Phoenixon that ANOTHER Kanto remake if it did happen *may* feature more of Yellow than Red and Blue/Green...after all, those two have already been remade so they'd really need to spice things up to get fans to buy again.

I mean, I'm one of the derps who if they announced Blaze Red and Forest Green for 3DS tomorrow would be all 'shut up and take my money dammit' but I'm aware that there are other more cynical fans who have higher standards...

I breed egg move pokes & DW females.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

That's what's always been my gripe with RS remakes, it would also have to mean FRLG remakes, and that cycle would have to continue every 8-12 years or whatever it would end up being. I'm one of the few who would love the new gen to be incompatible with old gens, which would be a huge case for later remakes as the fact Gen III is still accessible is a big reason against them being made now. That would, however also entail remakes of DP which I have absolutely no interest in.

Rather than writing a paper the other day, I was actually thinking about going back and starting a new game on Emerald and thinking of what pokemon I'd want to use when I realized the physical/special split didn't exist in those games. I never really thought about as a kid how water moves wouldn't be as effective as ground moves on my Swampert. That got me very disinterested in going back to the old games very quickly. As much as that didn't seem as huge a change as things like abilities or hold items at the time, looking back it's something I really take for granted these days. For no real reason other than the fact I want to play through Hoenn with the physical/special split present, at this point I'd love remakes.
    LadySasaki likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LadySasaki View Post
    Filling up your pokedex and visiting the prof or Steven to get given a starter, for example. That was a lovely little addition in HGSS.
    That's a slightly different situation than Yellow. In Yellow, you got all three of the Kanto starters in the game without having to trade, but in HGSS, you pick from three sets of different starters. Meaning you still have to trade to get the rest.

I'm not sure if they'll ever remake the 1st gen games again, but I do agree with Phoenixon that ANOTHER Kanto remake if it did happen *may* feature more of Yellow than Red and Blue/Green...after all, those two have already been remade so they'd really need to spice things up to get fans to buy again.
    Distribution changes are nice, but if they're just giving you the same set of Pokemon that they did last time, it doesn't mean much. If they added onto the Kanto Dex like they did in Platinum and BW2 and included some next gen evolutions as well as random families to balance out Kanto's poor type distribution (Ghost, Dragon, Dark, and Steel in particular could use some more families from other gens).

Quote Originally Posted by GreatLiver View Post
    That's what's always been my gripe with RS remakes, it would also have to mean FRLG remakes, and that cycle would have to continue every 8-12 years or whatever it would end up being. I'm one of the few who would love the new gen to be incompatible with old gens, which would be a huge case for later remakes as the fact Gen III is still accessible is a big reason against them being made now. That would, however also entail remakes of DP which I have absolutely no interest in.

Rather than writing a paper the other day, I was actually thinking about going back and starting a new game on Emerald and thinking of what pokemon I'd want to use when I realized the physical/special split didn't exist in those games. I never really thought about as a kid how water moves wouldn't be as effective as ground moves on my Swampert. That got me very disinterested in going back to the old games very quickly. As much as that didn't seem as huge a change as things like abilities or hold items at the time, looking back it's something I really take for granted these days. For no real reason other than the fact I want to play through Hoenn with the physical/special split present, at this point I'd love remakes.
    That's part of why I suggested BW2 style remakes, it makes continuing that endless cycle more meaningful if the game is updated more drastically to reflect what current gen regions are doing.

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME sonic10158's Avatar

RS remakes doesn't automatically mean FRLG. Those are two separate titles.

If GF wants RS remakes, but doesn't want FRLG remakes, they simply won't do FRLG remakes. There's no laws/rules saying if A gets remade, you HAVE to remake B.

Top game series: Pokémon, Mass Effect, Mario, Sonic, Batman Arkham, Ace Combat, Forza, GTA, Sly Cooper, etc

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

Being in the same generation, they're tied together. If they do update RS, that'll leave original Kanto far and away more outdated than anything else. Other than the new pokemon, region, moves and what have you that come with every generation, IV and V weren't too far off from one another, especially aesthetically. DPPt, HGSS, and BWBW2 all look about the same. Right now RS and FRLG do as well. If you remove RS from that it leaves FRLG very much on its own. Remakes originally happened because gen I & II games were incompatible with anything else. If VI is compatible with III-V, that doesn't stand as an excuse anymore. The main reason is primarily aesthetic. I highly doubt they would do one without coming out with the other shortly thereafter.

Blog Entries

In terms of compatibility, RSE are technically still connectable to the gen 4 games... but you need an outdated handheld to do so. While that's not quite as bad as gen 1 and 2's deal, I think it's still enough to make RSE remakes somewhat justified.
    sonic10158 and SuperSqueaky like this.

That's a slightly different situation than Yellow. In Yellow, you got all three of the Kanto starters in the game without having to trade, but in HGSS, you pick from three sets of different starters. Meaning you still have to trade to get the rest.
    I'm aware of the difference, I merely used it as an example of starter pokemon given in game as a reward.

Distribution changes are nice, but if they're just giving you the same set of Pokemon that they did last time, it doesn't mean much. If they added onto the Kanto Dex like they did in Platinum and BW2 and included some next gen evolutions as well as random families to balance out Kanto's poor type distribution (Ghost, Dragon, Dark, and Steel in particular could use some more families from other gens).
    True. I think given the typical 3rd game pattern, it's at least probable that if Yellow was remade, it would include a better dex range than the previous Kanto games. It's a fair bet to say the only reason it didn't first time 'round was because there weren't any other pokemon beyond the original 150 yet. So expansion was sort of...impossible.

Given that you can only visit the original Kanto up to gen 3, and even then not use any non regional dex pokemon without hacking, returning to that region now when there are 5 - soon to be 6 - generations of pokemon to pour all over it would open it up immensely and make it very enjoyable. Personally I do not believe a Yellow remake is likely, but if it offered the variety that BW2 and Platinum's regional dexes gave us, then I believe it would be a popular game indeed and breathe fresh air into a dead generation (and at this point, region).

I think at this point Hoenn really deserves a remake more than Kanto, though. There's original Kanto, remade original Kanto, Kanto three years on, and remade Kanto three years on. Whereas Hoenn was just...Hoenn. I feel sorry for it, it's really gotten left behind. And as someone above mentioned, the weather crisis in 3d would look bloody amazing.
    Yato likes this.

Blog Entries

I'm aware of the difference, I merely used it as an example of starter pokemon given in game as a reward.
    Okay, but that has nothing to do with my point. How the starters aren't obtained doesn't really matter, you still have to make a choice and trade for the rest in HGSS, just like every other game. Yellow is an exception because it's based on the anime.

Okay, but that has nothing to do with my point. How the starters aren't obtained doesn't really matter, you still have to make a choice and trade for the rest in HGSS, just like every other game. Yellow is an exception because it's based on the anime.
    Okay...and my point was agreeing with Phoenixon that obtaining starters in-game via an NPC gift rather than having to rely on trading is nice. Particularly in Yellow because you got a full set pre-E4 (iirc and I only really remember Charmander north of Nugget Bridge); this offers a fantastic choice and a balanced, strong team for anyone who doesn't trade and relies on what the game has to give. Imagine in the 5th generation if you'd chosen Tepig, and there had been a way to get Snivy and Oshawott during the main game. That would've been fantastic. Of course the necessity of NPC gift pokemon has been reduced thanks to wifi, but there are always going to be players who appreciate it such a feature.

Blog Entries

Getting starters as npc gifts would ruin team variety. Everyone would end up using the same 3 pokemon starters in their team. What they need is a variety of early catchable pokemon. bw2 was a step in right direction but most ppl still ended up picking up riolu/growlith/mareep/marill early and keeping those.
    The_Doctor likes this.

Blog Entries

Particularly in Yellow because you got a full set pre-E4 (iirc and I only really remember Charmander north of Nugget Bridge)
    Bulbasaur was in Cerulean City, Charmander was on the north end of Rt. 24, and Squirtle was in Vermillion City.

this offers a fantastic choice and a balanced, strong team for anyone who doesn't trade and relies on what the game has to give. Imagine in the 5th generation if you'd chosen Tepig, and there had been a way to get Snivy and Oshawott during the main game. That would've been fantastic. Of course the necessity of NPC gift pokemon has been reduced thanks to wifi, but there are always going to be players who appreciate it such a feature.
    That's great and all, but trading to get all three starters isn't going away, especially not nowadays where you can trade with pretty much anyone around the world. They still do NPC gift Pokemon as you pointed out, but it's done in a way that you still have to trade. It's about who, not how. Also, like Codface said, it ruins the variety, and not really necessary for the distribution as long as the regional dex is large and varied enough, you typically have plenty of great non Grass/Fire/Water Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Codface View Post
    bw2 was a step in right direction but most ppl still ended up picking up riolu/growlith/mareep/marill early and keeping those.
    BW2's early game distribution was amazing, but after that, most of the new Pokemon worth raising were closer to the end. That's probably why they stuck with those old Pokemon, it has little to do with the fact that you could get those Pokemon early.

@Codface - Saying that NPC starter gifts would ruin the variety is, no offence, silly. That's like saying that just because a pokemon is available everyone is going to train it. Or that because a pokemon is strong, everyone's going to train it. I'm going to repeat here what I've said about Mewthree to people complaining about its appearance: it's a choice. You train what you want; the whole point of pokemon is that there is an eclectic assortment available. None of the NPCs are going to force you into training a poke just because they gifted it to you. Thanks to wifi I had access to the remaining 2 Unova starters after the first badge in BW, as I'm sure many did. I didn't feel the need to use all of them on one team. As pokemon like Garchomp have proven, a pokemon doesn't need to be an npc gift - if people want to horribly overruse it, they will.

Yup, Bolt, I agree that GF expecting us to trade to catch em all isn't going away. That feature was one of the foundations of pokemon, and it's one of the most fun, I don't deny that. I just really enjoyed Yellow's treatment of the starters, and since they are 'special' pokemon, not just any other rare kind you can grab off the gts or hunt for hours to find, I think it'd be lovely if they were given a special distribution. Additionally, since the games are and always will be aimed largely at younger pokemon fans, having all starters available during the main game can really teach new, uncertain players about elemental balance and give their team a boost.

I do however prefer earning a pokemon through a task rather than just having a random NPC say 'hey I don't want this, wanna take it?' :/

Blog Entries

Additionally, since the games are and always will be aimed largely at younger pokemon fans, having all starters available during the main game can really teach new, uncertain players about elemental balance and give their team a boost.
    That's what the rival is for, as well as what they did with the monkeys in BW1.