• No, I'd prefer them in Gen 6

152 37.07%
  • No, wait till Gen 7

16 3.90%
  • No, i dont want r/s/e remakes

47 11.46%
Page 18 of 239 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast
Like Tree1414Likes

Thread: Pokémon Remake Discussion (Read First Post!)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ruby and Sapphire Remake Discussion *NEW RULE*

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Jack Walker
    I don't see why 2 different pairs of games in the same generation HAVE to take place at more or less the same time.
    They don't, but avoiding the mention of time travel is a fairly logical choice when it comes to promoting compatibility. Why make things cumbersome? One could argue that there was no incontrovertible proof at the time that the Hoenn and Kanto games were concurrent, but there was no reason to think otherwise, either.

The reason we even know when Generation V roughly takes place, is that Game Freak wanted to reference the Generation IV games. They did it in such a way that reminded players of the other DS games (Platinum and HGSS) that are still relatively new, but less advanced than Black and White. How would this work with remakes that would be equal in terms of gameplay? Why are there so few references to Hoenn right now?

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

That sort of thing has happened only twice which means we can't say its fixed that it always be like that. Even if it was a pattern, nothing could stop them from breaking it if they chose to. They could just explicitly state that the two pairs of games don't take place at around the same time. There would be trade issues as to how people are able to trade directly between the games but the could just srite it off as time travelling which they already did in Gen I and II and also with Gen III pokemon in Gen V.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Jack Walker View Post
    That sort of thing has happened only twice which means we can't say its fixed that it always be like that. Even if it was a pattern, nothing could stop them from breaking it if they chose to. They could just explicitly state that the two pairs of games don't take place at around the same time. There would be trade issues as to how people are able to trade directly between the games but the could just srite it off as time travelling which they already did in Gen I and II and also with Gen III pokemon in Gen V.
    Except that with the inclusion of Pal Park in GenIV, they retconed time travel out of the main series.

Blog Entries

Even if it was a pattern, nothing could stop them from breaking it if they chose to.
    That applies to the idea of releasing remakes on a regular basis, as well.

They could just explicitly state that the two pairs of games don't take place at around the same time. There would be trade issues as to how people are able to trade directly between the games but the could just srite it off as time travelling which they already did in Gen I and II and also with Gen III pokemon in Gen V.
    They've been avoiding the concept of trading with the past ever since Generation II; it's probably only being done right now to make a distinction between FRLG and HGSS Pokémon that were caught in Kanto. Bear in mind that they've never had to do it with battles, let alone the GTS or Global Link. It's not unfeasible, but it is unnecessarily messy.

What I'd like to know is what would indicate a difference between the Hoenn Pokémon from the GBA versions and those from the remakes. Would the latter not have a time travel flag? That would be quite inconsistent given the fact that the time period would be the same; I would think the flag would have been called "Pal Park" in that case. If to make matters more confusing, Hoenn only has location data for the original versions, even though several places in Unova have more than one location in the data due to seasonal differences.

I think they should remake Ruby and Sapphire.

Quote Originally Posted by Rellik View Post
    Uh...No they don't. There have only been two sets of remakes so far, and only in the second set did they use anything from the third game from the generation they were remaking. Now, admittedly, there wasn't much plot difference in GenI between R/B and Yellow, but there were still things that they could have used in FR/LF. For instance, it would have been VERY easy to toss you a free Pikachu at or near the beginning of the game, or even toss in the Jessy and James cameos from Yellow.

That's a pretty crap argument. You don't need to work for GameFreak/Nintendo to establish a timeline for the games. It's pretty easy to piece together from the information given out in official sources. Now, of course, GameFreak can just go and retcon the timeline however they see fit, but that's a whole separate issue.

They don't, obviously. But the way GF has always presented it has implied that they do.

In Gen I there was almost no differences, and try to think of JAP Blue as the third version, cuz Yellow was a "special edition" the only reason we all consider it the third version is because there is no other game, but the diff between R/G and B, from what I know, was the pokemon you could catch, and the updated sprites, like the ones used in English R/B, also you can never be sure about the timeline, I admit I was wrong about the R/S and B/W thing, because Gen IV takes place after Gen III, and in B/W Cynthia mentions Lucas from Platinum, but even so. You can't say for sure what took place when etc.

Blog Entries
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

Well to be fair there ARE things that were taken from Blue and Yellow (Gen I's 'third versions') and put in the remakes: Blaine's look (from Blue) and Wild Mankey in Route 22 (from Yellow). Minor details indeed, but considering that Blue and Yellow changed so little from RB, I think it's worth mentioning.

So, while not a stablished pattern yet, there surely is somehow of a trend of incorporating at least certain elements from third versions into remakes.

Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EmpoleonProd View Post
    In Gen I there was almost no differences.
    I already admitted that there wasn't much of a change to the storyline from R/B to Yellow. However, I also pointed out that there were significant changes - Pikachu as a Starter and Jessie and James - that they could have used. Now, obviously, Pikachu as a starter would have been a no-go. It would take away from the concept of remaking the original two games. However, if they wanted to make a reference to it, it wouldn't have been difficult. They could have made some Snorlax-style event in Viridian Forest or something where there's a Pikachu blocking your way that you need to battle to advance. They could have even included the battles against Jessie and James. But they didn't. FR/LG failed to make a single reference to Yellow as far as I can tell, and if they did, they weren't nearly as blatant as the reference that these games made to GenII.

and try to think of JAP Blue as the third version, cuz Yellow was a "special edition" the only reason we all consider it the third version is because there is no other game, but the diff between R/G and B, from what I know, was the pokemon you could catch, and the updated sprites, like the ones used in English R/B,
    First of all, no, I will not think of the Japanese version of Blue as the third version for Generation I. Blue Version, at BEST, could be described as a late beta release of the GenI games, since the original Japanese Red & Green versions had inferior graphics and sound, battle sprites that looked utterly ridiculous at times, and a but load of glitches. Blue updated the graphics and audio, fixed many of those glitches, and made Charizard look less like some weird Asian rip-off of Puff the Magic Dragon and more like the epic bad-ass that we all know and love today. (Though, admittedly, he still looks a bit Puff-ish.)

It's because of these updates that when they were finally ready to start releasing the Pokemon games outside of Japan, instead of simply translating the Red and Green games, they simply took Blue version, and edited it where appropriate to make updated versions of Red and Green.

And the reason Yellow is considered to be the Third Version for GenI was because outside of Japan, it was. There was no Green version. It was simply Red, Blue, and Yellow.

also you can never be sure about the timeline, I admit I was wrong about the R/S and B/W thing, because Gen IV takes place after Gen III, and in B/W Cynthia mentions Lucas from Platinum, but even so. You can't say for sure what took place when etc.
    The only possible conflicts that I can think of with the timeline are trying to decide how far apart the events of FR/LG are to RSE and the events in HG/SS are from DPPt, and even then it's only minor things that throwing them off, such as needing to set up the trade machine in the Sevii Islands to trade between R/S but not E, and Cynthia's cameo in HG/SS. Even with these few ambiguities though, it's pretty obvious that the remakes (and thus the main series games of the Gens that they're remaking) are taking place either fairly close, or possibly even at the exact same time, as the proper main series games for the Gens that they were released in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rellik View Post
    and even then it's only minor things that throwing them off, such as needing to set up the trade machine in the Sevii Islands to trade between R/S but not E,
    The Network Machine is required for trading with Emerald. The difference is that even if the Network Machine is working, trading won't be possible unless the Emerald player has entered the Hall of Fame (unlike with Ruby and Sapphire where nothing is required). If anything, this lends credence to the theory that the Generation III games take place in a single time period.

and Cynthia's cameo in HG/SS.
    In what way is this ambiguous? It establishes that HGSS end a bit after DPPt, since otherwise Cynthia wouldn't recognize Arceus.

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    The Network Machine is required for trading with Emerald. The difference is that even if the Network Machine is working, trading won't be possible unless the Emerald player has entered the Hall of Fame (unlike with Ruby and Sapphire where nothing is required). If anything, this lends credence to the theory that the Generation III games take place in a single time period.

In what way is this ambiguous? It establishes that HGSS end a bit after DPPt, since otherwise Cynthia wouldn't recognize Arceus.
    lucas and daw3n must be quite the speedster then, since diamond/pearl/platinum begins with a documentary about the red gyarados in the lake of rage

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jcogginsa View Post
    lucas and daw3n must be quite the speedster then, since diamond/pearl/platinum begins with a documentary about the red gyarados in the lake of rage
    Actually, Platinum doesn't begin with that report, although it is randomly shown on TV throughout the game (along with reports about Lugia, Ho-Oh and even Sprout Tower). Besides, the science expedition could have been looking for red Gyarados before Ethan/Lyra caught it.

I've always thought that the games took place at the same time and by that I mean they took place in the same year, but not neccesarilly the same month.

Like Gen 1+Gen 3 remakes took place at the same time as the Hoenn games

Gen 2+Gen 4 remakes took place at the same time as DPPT in Gen 4.

And Gen 5 takes place a while after Gen 4.

LOL, we should all be glad that this timeline is easier to figure out than the Legend of Zelda one.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best". -Karen

"For every pokemon there is a purpose and a time when it can shine under the sun." -Blue1225

Blog Entries
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by jcogginsa View Post
    I don't think they are speedsters, just that the Johto story is longer because of Ethan/Dawn's travel to Kanto, therefore it is possible to start before DP and finish after it. Furthermore, as Silktree said, Platinum retconned that and made the Sinnoh adventure's starting point a bit more ambiguous, and going by NPC's dialogues in HGSS and BW, Platinum is the canon versions (although personally I liked DP's opening better).

I don't know exactly when the Hoenn story takes place and I don't believe it is simultaneous with that of FRLG (even if that's the general belief), although I'm sure it's definitely placed before BW. If a remake is done, trading with BW can be simply handwaved by not saying a thing about how it works, just like they did it in Gen III in regards to Colosseum and XD. That or bring back the Time Capsule, it's not that hard and Gen II showed us that it is not necessary for two games to happen at the same time to be trade-compatible, so remaking RSE doesn't need to retcon its own story just for the sake of trading with the current games.

Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

Blog Entries

I think that they should make transfering Pokemon from HGSS and DPPt the Poke' Transfer method like in BW and be done with it. Also It would be nice to have something like the GBA sounds, like in HGSS.
    ---The Team---

My rare PKMN Cards:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/1470679-post31.html
    My fanfiction: http://tinyurl.com/8a9st44

Blog Entries

Or just make it game-play and story segregation as dialogue in Opelucid City imply that Black and White are separate dimensions, and that other people's versions are all "just a dream" to you, yet you manage to trade with them just fine. Then there's the fact that you recruit trainers from Black City/White Forest into your version, when its all just a dream apparently.

The guy who gives you the Charge Battery in Opelucid City asks for a Pokemon that knows Charge from the dimension where Opelucid is all traditional (in black version) rather than high tech.