Pokémon main-series games more like the Zelda Oracle games?

View Poll Results: Would you like a Pokemon game that's more like the Zelda Oracle series?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Option 1

8 57.14%
  • Option 2

8 57.14%
  • Option 3

3 21.43%
  • Other combination

2 14.29%
  • I would not want a main series game set up like the Zelda Oracle games

1 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Pokémon main-series games more like the Zelda Oracle games?

Blog Entries

Default Pokémon main-series games more like the Zelda Oracle games?

For those too young or old enough yet don't know: Oracle Series - Zelda Wiki

Would there be interest in a Pokemon game where the main series was set up more like the Oracle series? I can see a few possibilities for this:

Option 1: Two main-series games in different regions; no third version

Option 2: Two main-series game; a third version

Option 3: Main Series game linked to WiiU game

Will give my choice later on so as to not bias people's decisions
    Last edited by The Outrage; 15th August 2011 at 08:16 PM.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokémon main-series games more like the Zelda Oracle games?

I like all 3 for some reason. 2 may make me buy the 3rd versions for real. And then they might have a good plot this time around too.

Oh, and about Colo/XD, the saves are huge (taking up almost all of a 1x memory card) and uncopyable, and there's only 1 slot too.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

Blog Entries

My personal favourite is option 1. My problem with that is that it creates a very high standard for Game Freak that will make other paired games, if they go back to the old formula, obsolete. However, I like that it screws with peoples conception of canon. For some reason, people couldn't grasp the idea of alternate timelines in the BW movie, and that both are canon considering their overall plot is the same. Even BW games play with alternate realities a bit with Opelucid City's dialogue.

Option 3 is also good for me because it allows for us to buy all three versions and play the continued story.

I think for linking, the games can save a file on the 3DS much like the 3DS apps, and loading that app before starting a new game in the other version allows for the differences to save.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's funny how you mention "Two main-series games in different regions; no third version", given the Oracle games did have a third version considered. (Not saying you didn't know, just that it's funny in hindsight)

I think that out of your ideas, my favorite is the second option.

First, if we look at the sales of the games, the first set goes pretty strong while the third version not so much in comparision (though it IS two games against one). It is also really frustrating for those that only consider purchasing a single game per set to have a super-awesome improved version released later or face being out of the loop for a year or two.
    But those are minor points.

By this method, at least the way I see it, the games would keep the duality and player-interaction they are made for and wouldn't be rendered obsolete by the third version despite its upgraded everything, as the later would be instead a different game. Encouraging playing both the predecessors and this extra.

However, for this to work, it'd be Foo/Bar --> Qux (as a continuation of the story) and Qux (standalone). You wouldn't get anything in Foo/Bar from playing Qux first. And even then there are some other implementation problems related to wanting to play Qux both ways, that doesn't work in Pokemon due to how the save system is thought of. It isn't as simple as linking files like in Zelda.
    But then again, if the save system is already thought of being an "unique adventure" of sorts intentionally disallowing multiple files, of course they could get away with making Qux have the unique features solely in having played Foo/Bar. They would be rather minor things though, like just using the same PC as in the older game or something and of course plot points expanding over the first games instead of just the new story, as a standalone run would. (Though that's quite how the Oracle games run... I think what I am trying to say is that it works without feedback of the other games)

Say, imagine Gray is released this way. (Not like it would. Heck, not like it in particular SHOULD) You play through Gray in a new region related to Unova. Standalone you just deal with the gyms and its own plot, but if you played Black or White, you dig deeper in the story of these like a normal third version would.

As for an alternate... well, after HGSS I wondered why didn't they make another, completely different game within the same generation instead? Basically the same as this, except as yet another pair. For instance, seeing how many people want a remake: a pair of games that do take place in Hoenn, but at a different time.
    Given they didn't use Black and White to their fullest potential they might have lost the possibility, but seeing how HGSS did, I think they can very well pull two completely distinct main games within the same generation.
    Last edited by Infinity Mk-II; 16th August 2011 at 03:11 AM. Reason: also "Pokémon Foo/Bar/Qux" for gen VI derp

[/overexposition]

Blog Entries

It's funny how you mention "Two main-series games in different regions; no third version", given the Oracle games did have a third version considered. (Not saying you didn't know, just that it's funny in hindsight)
    I think the third version for that would also have been a simultaneous release would it not? In any case, its more about the end-result and not what could have been

The reason I had thought up the second option was because, when I blogged this, someone asked "What about a third version?" so I considered it. An exhaustive discussion with @Joshawott aside, I believe the main reason the third versions don't sell as well is because they're basically the deluxe edition that many of the casual market usually don't get. If they had made it so that the third version is actually a sequel, then I think it would be great.

The reason I chose the first and third options is that I liked the idea of multiple timelines that are cannon to screw with the fandom. A third version more or less takes out the ambiguity. This fandom really needs to consider the possibility that each of the dual versions without a third (or perhaps all versions) are actually parallel timelines.

I had also not considered the possibility of Gray taking on this set-up, and would be quite interesting. Ghetsis escaped, and N is off finding himself. Perhaps in a much smaller scale, rather than being the same protagonist, a different protagonist in a different region will be the main character, but depending on your version, the story could change. Of course, this would be limited in that it was not planned to be from the start (I would assume that there would have been hints), but it would be a good start.
    Last edited by The Outrage; 16th August 2011 at 03:31 AM.

Blog Entries

I have considered this idea for Generation VI ever since the Black and White hype left me greatly disappointed; it was then that I became more interested in the Zelda series and took note of the Oracle games. I have very concrete suggestions (a combination of the first and second options) for the next generation, but first I feel that I need to address a more looming issue:

Quote Originally Posted by Psystrike View Post
    I had also not considered the possibility of Gray taking on this set-up, and would be quite interesting. Ghetsis escaped, and N is off finding himself. Perhaps in a much smaller scale, rather than being the same protagonist, a different protagonist in a different region will be the main character, but depending on your version, the story could change. Of course, this would be limited in that it was not planned to be from the start (I would assume that there would have been hints), but it would be a good start.
    It's not as if there are any hints of an orthodox third version, either. While something needs to be done with Kyurem and its alleged signature moves, Black and White don't go a long way to pinpoint Kyurem's relevance to the Plasma plot; I have yet to read a single theory that elegantly fits Kyurem into the existing story. On the other hand, the Unova story ends with Looker going off after N to a faraway region, the Sages wishing that they could see N confront Ghetsis, and the Shadow Triad wondering where Ghetsis found the Creation trio's orbs. That's a hint of a sequel if I ever saw one. Such a game would actually justify buying a 3DS, which a standard third version wouldn't, in my eyes. This would also explain Mana Ibe's claim about a third version not being planned.

Of course, Unova would still need to be present. This is mainly because the Generation V Pokémon need to have their hidden abilities unlocked, and moving all of them to a (distant) region would be somewhat redundant. One option is to leave the Unova story largely in tact (with gameplay changes) and have it be continued by Hilbert/Hilda following Looker to the other region. The more favorable option is to somewhat follow Gold and Silver's footsteps in the reverse direction, with a new player character starting a new story in Unova and ultimately ending up in another region.

The mysterious region could be Hoenn, although I'd think that Game Freak would have just revealed its name if that had been their intention. The problem with a new region is that it wouldn't reflect well if a brand new place didn't have any exclusive Pokémon, so that's why it should be the secondary region. It wouldn't have to adhere to the structure of the main regions, but it should at least be as expansive as the Sevii Islands.
    Last edited by Silktree; 19th August 2011 at 01:37 AM.