"Pointless" Hidden Ablilies? - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: "Pointless" Hidden Ablilies?

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "Pointless" Hidden Ablilies?

While most abilities at least have use, some of the natural abilities are more preferable. One example is anything with Unnerve. Lots of them who get this will prefer their other abilities, such as Haxorus preferring to plow through potential Levitators with Earthquake, Arbok's status healing chance or potential free turn, and Wobbuffet preferring to trap opponents. In some ways, those with Doubles abilities are not of use in singles. Several things have Telepathy, but at least their immunity to partner attacks are great.

This reminded me of a blog I did roughly two-and-a-half years ago highlighting how beneficial the ability is to the Pokemon. It could be outdated, but I felt that most on that list is still accurate now.

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Hmm.. So Deerling/Sawsbuck can have Chlorophyll, Sap Sipper or Serene Grace....

Is it just me or is this a 3-way tie for situtationally useful abilities?

It learns Energy Ball but that alone doesn't seam like it's worth using Serene Grace.
    Sap Sipper is amazing against less then 1% of moves used..
    And Chlorophyll works great if you build a Team around it.

Or am I missing something again?

PDL

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableGuy View Post
    Hmm.. So Deerling/Sawsbuck can have Chlorophyll, Sap Sipper or Serene Grace....

Is it just me or is this a 3-way tie for situtationally useful abilities?

It learns Energy Ball but that alone doesn't seam like it's worth using Serene Grace.
    Sap Sipper is amazing against less then 1% of moves used..
    And Chlorophyll works great if you build a Team around it.

Or am I missing something again?
    Serene Grace is mostly pointless because Sawsbuck doesn't learn enough moves that justify using it. Chlorophyll might be useful as you said, but Sap Sipper is probably the best choice since it actually grants an immunity.
    Owain likes this.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Serperior got the amazing Contrary, which single-handedly changes it from mediocre to devastating. Emboar got Reckless, which fits his playstyle like peanut butter and jelly.

And then they gave Samurott Shell Armor. Y'know, the exact same hidden ability as Torterra. Which does absolutely jack for it. I don't care if it's thematically fitting, so are Lightningrod and Intimidate, and they aren't double-ups or completely useless.
    Owain, Zeb and Chosen of Mana like this.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

... So what is with Durant having Truant, of all things?

It's not an ability it simply doesn't find useful, it's in its entirety a hindering ability.

Can't be a pun because Namake (Lazy) and Aiant have nothing of that. And it only gets Endure and Thunder Fang from DW. It's definitely a joke.

Just one I don't get. Why Durant of all pokémon? Is it a developer in-joke of calling its designer or someone on the team lazy?

Oh, I guess it has Entrainment. I'm pretty sure that alone doesn't warrant having truant though, specially with other pokémon being better at the abilitiy-changing game.
    Last edited by Infinity Mk-II; 1st March 2013 at 11:17 AM.

[/overexposition]

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Starmie getting Analytic is pretty stupid. How would a Pokemon with blazing speed like that be able to use an ability that only works when the user is outsped? Natural Cure is a much better ability regardless, and Analytic should have been stuck on something like Metagross instead.
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Winged man prefers night Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bouffalant Herdier View Post
    Durant's Truant. Makes it move only every two turns, and unlike Slaking, it doesn't have legendary level stats to counter-balance it, and Entrainment doesn't actually pass on the ability to the enemy Pokemon. The only reason I could can think of as to why it has it as a secret ability is to troll players, or because the ability's name rhymes with Durant's.
    When I saw Durant's DW ability I double checked because I couldnt' believe it.

I think GameFreak assigned hidden abilities sorting by Pokédex number. When they reached Durant they were too tired to think on a good idea. Almost I can see GF brains lying at some couch while listing all pokémon's DW abilities. "oooooff...... 631 checked, still 18.... zzzzzzz... oh, 632 incoming........ what is it? Ah, Aiant. err...... What rhymes with it? er...... truant.... so, let's put Truant. Somewhere disagrees? (the others already sleeping). Ok, Aiant gets Truant. NexzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZ...."

OK, it's a terrible joke.

You know what would've been a good fit for Durant? Heatproof
    Berrenta, Yato and Mintaka like this.

Me verás volar por la ciudad de la furia...
    - Pokémon games are like boobs; designed for children, but more enjoyed by adults. (Someone on twitter)

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Like Serene Grace Sawsbuck, Sheer Force Kingler is another example of a great ability which ends up completely useless because the user doesn't learn the right moves to take advantage of it.

Also, I'm pretty sure the developers must have had a good laugh about Iron Fist Ledian.

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

Metagross got Light Metal, which is completely useless on it. Why? Even at half its weight, it's still more than heavy enough to take Low Kick at its maximum of 120 power. It doesn't even get Autotomize, so yeah. Utterly useless.

Jellicent got Damp. Being a Ghost-type, it's already immune to Selfdestruct and Explosion. What point is there in allowing enemy exploders to stay alive? None at all.
    The Outrage likes this.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Looking at the list of Pokemons with Hidden Abilities makes me wonder why they gave THESE abilities out of everything else.

Ursaring with Unnerve when it's one of the perfect candidates to use Guts + Facade -.-

Mantine with Water Veil. I mean, it rarely gets burned...

Tyranitar with Unnerve when Sand Stream provides the extra defense

Milotic with Cute Charm. I understand where they're coming from, but... ;_;

Absol with Justified. It IS a good ability, but does anyone actually attack a Dark-type pokemon with a Dark-type attack in a serious battle?

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    does anyone actually attack a Dark-type pokemon with a Dark-type attack in a serious battle?
    They do if they don't expect said Dark-type to switch in on said Dark-type attack.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Visit Dralcax's Youtube Channel

Guys, Durant gets Truant because the developers thought it would be funny and ironic to have a lazy ant. Also Durant is a Steel type.

Blog Entries

I find Klutz to be pretty much the definition of a useless ability.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by NoirGrimoir View Post
    I find Klutz to be pretty much the definition of a useless ability.
    It's not totally useless. It can be used together with a drawback item and a move that switches items.

Flame Orb and Switcheroo are the main uses.
    Owain likes this.

Winged man prefers night Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
    Blog Entries

An unintentional one. Fan Rotom having Levitate. I know the reason is because in Gen IV it was still part Ghost and not Flying... but still, it's weird. If GF changed machine Rotom's types, why they didn't change abilities? Dunno.
    Last edited by Ziggy Stardust; 2nd March 2013 at 09:16 AM.

Me verás volar por la ciudad de la furia...
    - Pokémon games are like boobs; designed for children, but more enjoyed by adults. (Someone on twitter)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast