"Pointless" Hidden Ablilies?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: "Pointless" Hidden Ablilies?

Default "Pointless" Hidden Ablilies?

Taking a Look at a Minccino I found in a Hidden Grotto,
    I notice it's Hidden ability is Skill Link.

Sounds good at first but then I remember that it only learns
    one Multi-strike move (doubleslap) and it's not really that good of a move.

So, what good is it really? I mean, I can certainly get more out of either of it's other abilities more then this.

And that brings me to a thought.
    Are there very many Hidden Abilities that are less useful then a Pokemon's normal ability?
    Anyone else notice some Pokemon seam to have less then useful Hidden Abilities?

Snarker Extraordinaire Captain Blue's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Captain Blue on Tumblr

Default Re: "Pointless" Hidden Ablilies?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableGuy
    Minccino also gets a multi-move called Tail Slap (25 power per hit plus STAB), and after it evolves, it can learn Rock Blast and Bullet Seed via the Move Relearner. So Skill Link is actually really, really good on Minccino; I used one in White 2 for a while.

Anyways, Delibird gets Insomnia when it already has Vital Spirit, Durant gets Truant, and Jellicent gets Damp when it's already immune to Self-Destruct/Explosion.

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post

Anyways, Delibird gets Insomnia when it already has Vital Spirit, Durant gets Truant, and Jellicent gets Damp when it's already immune to Self-Destruct/Explosion.
    Ninja'd about Delibird. To be fair, it can also have Hustle normally.

Does your question include those with the same Hidden Ability as their normal one? For some Pokemon, it makes sense because it makes them what they inherently are.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Snover/Abomasnow with Soundproof -.- I mean, it's other ability is Snow Warning, and it's perfect - almost a must for a Hail Team. Soundproof isn't really useless, but considering when you actually use them... Snow Warning is way better. I went through all the trouble to breed my Dream World Snover to get one with the original ability.

And Yanmega with Frisk. Wut - there's the common Speed Boost!! Even Tinted Lens would be better ;_; You could get a good start if you know what the opponent pokemon is holding, but Speed Boost is already a really good ability that there's really no need for Yanmega to have Frisk...

Rawr! Berrenta's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Blog Entries

Aipom with Skill Link (very little use), Audino with Klutz, Galvantula with Swarm, Plus/Minus for Mareep line and Electrike line (unless if paired with a 'mon with a like Ability, like the Klink family), and Cottonee with Chlorophyll (Prankster is that much better!)

And I agree with Insomnia Delibird. Vital Spirit makes Insomnia redundant.

Edit: Forgot Pidove with Rivalry, which is only useful fighting against the like gender. Looks pointless to me otherwise.
    Last edited by Berrenta; 20th March 2013 at 05:10 PM.
    X/3DS FC: 1289 8751 6620 In-game name: Karen
    Claims: Nidoqueen, Mawilite, Hondew Berry, Fiery Dance, Flower Veil
    Claims (other): Luke Triton (Professor Layton), Naoto Shirogane (Persona 4)

Skyworld Warriors, a Kid Icarus fan club
    Friend Safari: Poison (Kakuna, Swalot, Whirlipede)

Blog Entries

Mewtwo gets Unnerve. Poor thing.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    Snover/Abomasnow with Soundproof -.- I mean, it's other ability is Snow Warning, and it's perfect - almost a must for a Hail Team. Soundproof isn't really useless, but considering when you actually use them... Snow Warning is way better. I went through all the trouble to breed my Dream World Snover to get one with the original ability.
    It helps him with not being hit by Bug Buzz.......................... (?)

Grass-type fanatic Frenzy Plant's Avatar
    Follow Frenzy Plant On Twitter
    Follow Frenzy Plant on Tumblr

Minccino also gets a multi-move called Tail Slap (25 power per hit plus STAB), and after it evolves, it can learn Rock Blast and Bullet Seed via the Move Relearner. So Skill Link is actually really, really good on Minccino; I used one in White 2 for a while.

Not to mention the absolute wonders it has done for Cloyster. Icicle Spear, Rock Blast and Shell Smash - so good to see some of the Kanto Pokémon getting a much needed power boost.

I think the point with these hidden abilities, that a few people seem to have missed, is that they're not really anything to do with the metagame. Mewtwo gets unnerve because it is an unnerving Pokémon, not because it's going to re-define the Uber tier with the ability to stop other Pokémon eating berries.
    NoirGrimoir and Bubble Frog like this.
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

Thought I might of missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by Keasbey View Post
    Not to mention the absolute wonders it has done for Cloyster. Icicle Spear, Rock Blast and Shell Smash - so good to see some of the Kanto Pokémon getting a much needed power boost.

I think the point with these hidden abilities, that a few people seem to have missed, is that they're not really anything to do with the metagame. Mewtwo gets unnerve because it is an unnerving Pokémon, not because it's going to re-define the Uber tier with the ability to stop other Pokémon eating berries.
    While I do technically agree with that, I can't help but to think that they could of put a little bit more effort into Pokemon abilities.

I'm all for having Pokemon exhibit different Abilities to further their Differences,
    But I'd like to see more Tie-ins with Pokemon's Personalities, rather then "Powers".
    Hidden Abilities could of been implemented as "secondary" and lesser Abilities on top of a Pokemon's Normal Ability.
    That might of made it more interesting.

Blog Entries

The people trying to explain that certain Pokemon got certain abilities to match their character are missing the point of this topic. I don't care if Unnerve goes with Mewtwo's character. Unnerve is still a shitty ability that's far less useful than Pressure. Most of the other legendaries didn't even get hidden abilities. I don't see why they bothered giving Mewtwo Unnerve.
    Last edited by smalllady; 27th February 2013 at 11:06 AM.
    Owain and Mintaka like this.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

Visit Dralcax's Youtube Channel

Metagross gets Light Metal. Problem is, Metagross is so heavy that Grass Knot and Low Kick would still do max damage anyways, and Clear Body is so much better anyways.
    Berrenta likes this.

What's this? Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

Durant's Truant. Makes it move only every two turns, and unlike Slaking, it doesn't have legendary level stats to counter-balance it, and Entrainment doesn't actually pass on the ability to the enemy Pokemon. The only reason I could can think of as to why it has it as a secret ability is to troll players, or because the ability's name rhymes with Durant's.
    Mintaka and 15israellai like this.

Who is this git?

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Manectric's Minus. Only 3 other lines have plus to accommodate it, and even then the whole minus/plus thing is the ability version of helping hand.
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

PDL

Quote Originally Posted by Bouffalant Herdier View Post
    Durant's Truant. Makes it move only every two turns, and unlike Slaking, it doesn't have legendary level stats to counter-balance it, and Entrainment doesn't actually pass on the ability to the enemy Pokemon. The only reason I could can think of as to why it has it as a secret ability is to troll players, or because the ability's name rhymes with Durant's.
    Actually, the one use that Truant Durant has is that it works wonders against the AI in the battle subway and similar places. You see, the AI will only switch Pokémon when it sees no moves can be made. By making the AI's Pokémon get Truant through Entrainment, you've severely crippled them but they won't switch because it can technically still attack. It's a dull strategy, but it can almost guarantee victory in the battle subway.
    Last edited by PDL; 27th February 2013 at 10:20 PM.
    Mintaka and Chibisyko like this.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bouffalant Herdier View Post
    And even then the pun "truant" is only applicable in the English version...in Japan the ability is called "namake", lazy, and sloths are called namakemono, so it's even more fitting to remain exclusive to Slakoth and Slaking.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast