PMD 3 what needs re-working

Thread: PMD 3 what needs re-working

Never alone <3 Elphie jasonwolf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default PMD 3 what needs re-working

with gen 5 needing a PMD I want these fixes to the game so that it is much more user friendly and keeps a bit mroe of the normal pokemon feeling. sometimes it felt too directed and to critically important about you and your one partner instead of the entire team you build.

I just think the issue is the teams need a rework.

my biggest issues:

you're members were terrible to organize, as in chingling needs to have a list that you can organize as you want. I want my most used pokemon at the front and the others shoved away out of my way. and preset teams would be awesome.

the teams were hard to move through the dungeons at times. with 4 pokemon you're team often gets split up in the big dungeons and monster houses leave you fighting alone (they need to happen when you get tot he center of the room so your whole team is in on it.

your partner needs to be optional on early missions and changing leader too. yes I get it there is a plot, but training your team needs to be important. I don't want to be stuck with two pokemon, of which you only get 16 to pick from, as my main ones forever.

more recruit methods and not starting at level 1-7. recruited pokemon should start at higher levels even if they are from missions. they should scale based on the mission. eggs are ok though trading away your children is strange...

evolution early. I hate having an evolution one pokemon for the majority of the story I'd rather have all the pokemon be harder and evolution be jsut as important. maybe mid way though the first part (in comparison to PMD2).

I'd like to see more "starters" as in pokemon to become. just for more variety. my picks being:

gen 1: Cubone(bring back), abra (with the elemental punchs from breeding or somethign else for an attack)

gen 2: tyrouge, aipom, mareep, gligar, elekid, magby

gen 3 : ralts, aron, tapinch,

gen 4: none... they got all i wanted...

gen 5: roggenrola, sandile, litwick, golett, pawniard, and the starters of course.

yeah basically all my wants from the series.

Oh and a customizable base. I want to be able to put amenities in there like berry bushes, and seed plants.

DISCUSS, or if you would like I'll make this my own thread if you feel it diverges too much.

Blog Entries

Default Re: PMD 3 what needs re-working

I never felt like too much need to be tweaked other than even with the large amount that Sky gave us, it would leave little room for starters once you include the three from the fifth gen. I also feel like they'd include Zorua for some reason. (illusion gets tweaked in some way, like being able to copy a poke you've recruited, making the wild pokes leave you alone until you attack them or you get hit by something and the illusion breaks)
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries

well thats the least of my worries. simply because not using the starter would fix that. all the story missions requirer you to use your main duo, and some left out your other team members. the team needs to be the focus not just two pokemon.

Blog Entries

Well, the most prevalent flaw I saw in regards to that is that the game is not very conducive to training. If you don't have a small party, you will screw yourself over on exp. and someone will always lag. The dojo never was able to fix this because it sucks and you'll never get the necessary levels that way. Although maybe that's because I didn't know how to use it properly, I dunno. The whole idea of Mystery Dungeon, though, is that you are part of a team. I guess that's why it's insistent on giving you a partner, but I will perhaps agree that it should only be necessary for plot and not for side junk you might want to do. Should they make it so that you can handle a bigger team more effectively? Perhaps. I don't see how unless they make this game not as much of a pain in terms of grinding.

As for evolving, which is what most people complain about. There was a reason. They had to use their special emotion portraits for the plot, and evolving would make them have to make those same emotions for the evolved forms, too. I imagine it's much easier for them to keep those restricted to the starters and partners and a few select others. I don't like that the evos are kept from you for the entire game, either, but there is a reason for it. Either they forget this emotion specific portrait business (which I feel would make it seem odd), or they make multiple portraits for the evolved forms, which will consume more space. (if they go to the 3DS with this, it would be possible to use the increased memory to do this, but like with the main series, they would have the problem of sprites vs. models, although they could animate models to have different expressions far more easily than making portraits for it)

Blog Entries

when it comes to complaints its not about space. its about content. I'd rather they shave off the lame bonus dungeons that are only like 6 floors, and give us the full evolutions before.

about teams though I had the thought you're original team is of four and you pick all of them each being their own character. sort of like dragon age. so then that sets up their reactions in the overall plot. to handle bigger teams I'd liek to see the halls be two wide, formation commads, and perhaps better moving after you try to get them in position ex. surround the enemy as a formation.

anything else? also I fuly expect this to be 3ds don't want to really see anything bellow it now. jsut because I prefer my 3ds to my Ds by a lot now. and it has one more control button! the D-stick whatever thing.

Blog Entries

Well, they did go a bit far with one-off dungeons that only exist to do missions in. I also see, though, that part of the difficulty is that you're only in your base form going against pokemon that are far stronger than you. Thus why they had to make all those throwable items that deal mega damage. Again, I feel they would have to fix the exp system in order for playing random pokes you recruit to be viable. I am intrigued by your suggestion that the pokes be recruited at a level that suits the dungeon you're in. (I never paid attention to that, did they really always end up at a low level regardless of if you recruited them in a late dungeon or not?) Again, I only see it working for whatever you do outside the plot, though. I can see what you're getting at, and I can see how it would be interesting, but these games do have a story to tell, and I think at least one thing would have to be consistent, and that's whatever pokemon you ended up as. Theoretically, I don't see any reason why they gave you a partner other than it's supposed to be a team. I can see why being stuck as a certain pokemon could get boring because of monotony. On that thought, what IS up with this pesonality test thing that burps out what pokemon you are? It's a neat idea, don't get me wrong, but none of the savvy players deal with it. We make it spit out the poke we want. It's just a chore for us. Why not let us choose our pokemon and be done with it?

I honestly wouldn't know how to fix the matter of your team following in single file behind you or how monster houses are done. I don't really think having thicker corridors will work because what is in MD has been a part of the Roguelike formula for decades. It could easily be tweaked for a more tactics-oriented approach. The best way I see to fix the narrow corridor problem is taking the feature from the postgame and making it accessible at all times. That being where you can change the leader at any time and maybe even rearrange your party at will so that everyone can get a chance at exp. As for monster houses, that's more difficult, because they would have to make it trigger once your whole party is in the room, and that can vary. There is perhaps a way to make an algorithm for this, but the monster houses would have to always occur in a decently sized room. I have an alternative, though: Monster Floor. An entire floor of the dungeon is chosen at random to have more enemies than usual.

Blog Entries

I get using yoruself for plot misssion that I won't dispute, but I want my whole team not jsut my cowardly partner (he's been a coward in both really).

overall I dislike typical rouge likes and would prefer a bit more of Grimrock in the PMD series. btw Grimrock is a rouge like/ RPG in which you play 4 convicts trapped in the biggest dungeon in the world at ONCE. you take up one tile and move as a unit. long story short its awesome with tons of puzzles and stuff. if PMD had more stuff like that where each unit of your team is key and thusly each plays a role it'd be really cool. I mean you got you're Dmg dealer, you're range, the status, and the tank. thats a working team. the pokemon for picks as your starters are mostly the first two. one or two are the later two. SO i'd love to get an aron to be my tank, and an abra for my status inducer (all the punchs and snychronize).

also don't get me wrong I would murder a person if they said they hated PMD's plot to my face. I wrote one of my most succesful one shots based on the end of the first half. i jsut want to have a full team, a viable team builder, and a bit more work as a TEAM. so maybe 4 to start you pick them from a much bigger selection and they all got that pre-programed plots. like think of it as three rooms of pokemon. they all rotate plots between the rooms as they are the same (how the plot is the same despite your partner) just with 3 more characters. so maybe you have the tough guy charmander, the calculating squirtle, and the devious abra. the plot stays the same jsut different pokemon. though it's not full consolation for laking real team building.

my create your own base still stand though.

Serperior rules us all Catilena1890's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Catilena1890 On Twitter
    Visit Catilena1890's Youtube Channel

Oh god where to start? Well first, I want a default IQ skill that allows my partner/teammates to go after items, I HATE going into a dungeon and seeing items/money on an island in the middle of a type-specific boundary *water, lava etc* and I can't freaking get to it because I`m the wrong type, don't have slip seeds, or don't have all terrain hiker. That's not freaking fair man, especially when I`m hunting for trawl orbs >.>

I would also like different plots for different versions. Explorers of Time, Darkness and Sky had the same plot, but if you got time instead of Darkness and Sky, you got screwed royally in the manaphy plot since blue gummis are next to non-existant in there. If you are going to do the different version thing, then at least tweak the plots so that you don't spend MONTHS just trying to find two freaking jelly beana to feed your annoying baby. That is like saying you have to catch a Rufflet in pokemon black before you can go challenge N (if trades aren't taken into account here).

As for an aesthetic change, I would like it if they made evolution a bit more impacting though. Aside from the Ursaring pair in Treasure Town, no one acknowledges the fact that me and my partner, who were once itty bitty Torchic and Shinx, are now a towering pair of Blaziken and Luxray. It kinda breaks the fourth wall a bit.

Blog Entries

I know the feelign have replayed the PMD2 games a good 4 times, and beign a torterra, a raichu, a typhlosion, and lucario. is big difference. It makes you feel like an adult pokemon not a kid, so then I feel like I should be guild leader or something which I could be if the game let me start my own guild. be nice, but I'd be happy with better team mechanics.

definantly agree with the first two. AI needs a bit more help, and thusly I suggested formation commands in my discussion with Samurott.

Blog Entries

One of the aspects of pokemon I like is that it's more customizable than other RPGs I know. Limiting it to only certain builds feels even more restricting to me. I do see and it would be helpful if there were more options as to what the AI does, or make it so that you can order them to do something else on the fly. I find it particularly annoying when I sneak past a pokemon I don't want to bother with, and then my partner attacks it for no reason, sometimes making so now I have to fight it so they don't get their butt kicked (or now they're after me). Maybe even make an option to where you can either have the AI drive the partners, or you can control them directly. (that might be time-consuming, though, having to individually click where everyone is going, or battling with one and exploring with the others) It would make navigating the dungeons almost no problem at all, but then again, there's barely a problem other than having to survive to me, which it would be easier to gang up on a single poke than a group of them, that's why I said it should be an option, as it would be good for some situations, and it wouldn't in others. I would like to have more control during battles at least. Having my partner fire off random attacks is not helping me. Of course, this would essentially make it more of a tactics-style game, but to me that would make little difference. I do agree that the AI should have more helpful settings.

I did often find it odd that when you evolve, everyone is so nonchalant about it, like it's a regular occurrence, even though the plot of both iterations explains that evolution has been cut off for some reason. Even then, I would think that pokemon would hold some kind of reverence for evolution, even it's just a part of their life cycle and everyone goes through it. It does really convey growth, and it would add extra punctuation to the events of the plot, to see how far you've come since the little starter pokemon that started on their journey, and now you're a strong final evo ready to take on legendary pokemon and who knows what else. I've already addressed the complications associated to this, but the restriction on evolving really is a pain, but it's also a decent challenge, too.