Overrated and Underrated Pokémon

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Overrated and Underrated Pokémon

Blog Entries

Default Overrated and Underrated Pokémon

There's a lot of Pokémon out there, but we commonly see the same ones over and over again in battles. While some deserve this pleasure, a lot are just there because there's a belief of their usefulness in battle. And on the opposite side of the spectrum, there's plenty of good ones nobody uses. What do you think? Note that overused isn't the same as overrated.

For underrated, I'd have to say Steelix. It may have common weaknesses, but its 200 Defence stat can make it stand up to almost anything Physical. Match this with Stealth Rock, Protect, and Leftovers, and you've got quite the force.

As for overrated, I have to say Charizard. Apart from the Stealth Rock epidemic, people seem to think he's some powerful killing machine. No doubt due to the anime's portrayal.

Default Re: Overrated and Underrated Pokémon

Underrated

Liepard is actually one of those really underrated Pokemon. It has access to Prankster which lets it set up Substitute followed by its famous paraconfusion combo. I honestly don't know how many times I've cursed when facing this. It sort of focuses on luck but overall, if the opponent can pull it off then it might spell doom for the end of your team. Rock-types in general are underrated as a whole. They're showered as a type with too many weaknesses and incapable of fighting. They're also said to be some of the slowest things around but we've got Archen and Aerodactyl flying around at the speed of sound. Cradily itself doesn't appear to be too much of a threat, but its useful typing, water immunity and access to reliable recovery and Curse, can wreck the opponent. And then there's Meganium! The forgotten Johto starter. It can hurl leaves, poison, paralyze, I find it hard not to love. I think the last one I'll mention here is Linoone. Linoone is generally portrayed as a HM slave but with its decent attack/high speed, it can rip through teams in no time. With Belly Drum thrown in + ExtremeSpeed, your team is a goner. Quite the underrated threat.

Overrated

Many strong-looking Pokemon in the anime appear tougher than they seem. Choice Specs/Life Orb Charizard under sun does a load of damage but it's easily killed off with Stealth Rock and priority moves. If we don't focus on the competitive scene, Pikachu is by far one of the most overrated things in existence. It sends Team Rocket and legendaries flying in the anime but in-game, it can get KOed in five seconds flat. Raichu isn't half bad but Pikachu being the strongest there is? That's rubbish. Dragons fall under overrated. They're the wrecking force of the game, but can easily be stopped on their rampages. Particular mention goes to Dragonite. And lastly, I find Lucario a tad ugly. A lot of people love its design but personally I find it rather bland and uninteresting. The movie revolving around it was good but when it comes to the Pokemon itself, it isn't exactly the best. ]:

Blog Entries

Underrated:

- Raichu: How can the franchise mascot's evolution be SO overlooked? It baffles me. Raichu > Pikachu. I so want it to get a Mega Evolution.
    - Manectric: Such a good looking Pokémon, not exactly weak and based on a cool concept (raiju), but yet people don't give a damn about it, sadly.
    - Sableye: People started caring about it since BW came out giving it the Prankster ability, but it isn't as popular as the likes of Gengar or Chandelure.
    - Mawile: Hopefully its Mega Evolution will make it far more popular than it was before. I can't blame people for not caring about it, since it is absurdly weak.

Also, Bug-types in general are very overlooked, with very few exceptions.

Overrated:

- Charizard: It doesn't even look that good and it is based on such a boring and overused concept (European dragons).
    - Eevee: Yes, they are cute and blahblahblah, but that doesn't change the fact people hype them too much, often not giving other Pokémon a chance to shine.

Blog Entries

Underrated:

Torterra: It has the best typing of all Grass-type Starters, learns great moves, and can off-set all its weaknesses with just one Rock-type move. I love that overgrown dino/turtle, but it's pretty much neglected and ignored.

Pidgeot: It's probably the most balanced of the early bird Pokemon, mostly stat-wise, and it's a really cool-looking bird. It also has decent moves at it's disposal, even the Dragon-type move Twister. It and Pidgeotto were big favorites of mine for a long time in the Flying department, and still holds a high rank to me.

Tauros: Probably my favorite Normal-type. It's such a wicked physical sweeper when used the right way, and can have really good defenses as well. Learns a lot of different moves, can counter its Fighting-type weakness with just Zen Headbutt, and a really awesome Pokemon (it was also the ONLY Pokemon I was unable to catch in my original Red, keeping me from completing the PokeDex).

Manectric: Very underrated. A really cool concept, a nice selection of moves, and one of my favorite Electric-types. This guy needs more love if you ask me.

Leavanny: It learns such great moves, despite having such terrible weaknesses. I love using a female one with Attract as a disabling move and follow it up with a nasty Leaf Blade or X-Scissor. A really fun Pokemon to use.

Arbok: This snake is awesome! It learns such great moves and has very balanced stats. It is also very cool because of the fact the hood pattern changes in each region it appears. A good offensive Poison-type, something that they really lack.

Marowak: Seriously, a really fun Ground-type to use. I love it's bone attacks, a really interesting concept, and can be a real help with its Abilities. Such a shame it's overlooked so much.

Mightyena: I love this Dark-type. It's the earliest Dark-type you can get, it looks really cool, great concept, and can have a pretty good selection of moves to use. I love using one with only fang moves, making more sense to its species name.

Relicanth: A really overlooked Water/Rock-type. While so slow, it's bulky, and when you use Head Smash with the Ability Rock Head, a one Mon demolition crew with no recoil. Plus I find its concept really cool, basically a living fossil hiding in the deep. So cool.

Overrated:

Metagross: Seriously, I hate this thing. I always see it and it always gives me hell. I'm glad it loses some resistances, so now I can get rid of it with Ghost and Dark moves more easily. Such a freaky-looking thing, too.

Scizor: Like with Metagross, I see this guy everywhere, and it's driving me insane. While a single Fire-type move rids me of it, somehow it's always on a team, and somehow always gives me grief. While I will try raise one once in a while, I usually box it because I get weary of it. Plus somehow it never really clicks with me.

Dragonite: Way too powerful for its own good. Way too annoying for me. No matter where I go, somehow it ends up in my face. Plus it can be a real pain to deal with when unprepared, especially with the wide range of moves it can learn, making it a real headache.

Mewtwo: Seriously, I've had enough with this guy. I never liked it before, and I still don't today, even with its new Mega Evolutions. But somehow it always ends up in my face. I just find it so ugly, yet scary dangerous. I really don't like how "important" it is to everyone. I find it just like Dragonite: too powerful for its own good.

Tyranitar: Same reasons as Dragonite. And it's everywhere, always in every team, always giving me a royal headache, and a pain to raise up to that point. Seriously, I'm really fed up with it, and just want it to go away.

That about sums it up. Noticed how all the Pokemon I find overrated are always in competitive teams? They're one of the main reasons I don't partake in competitive battles, especially since they end up as EV-trained killing machines. That really is what zaps the fun out for me.
    Reila, L.L. and Yato like this.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

Blog Entries

Quagsire - the only pokemon that can step in and stop any boost sweeper (unless they a grass type).

Blog Entries
    Add Spyspotter on MySpace

Overrated:

Garchomp. Let's face it. Although Gen VI turned it into an unstoppable killing machine, Garchomp was overused before and it overshadows Flygon.

Pikachu. Due to the anime (and to a lesser extent the manga) people think this is the awesomest thing ever. Shut up! It's a piece of garbage.

Arceus. Yes, it's okay, but don't exaggerate.

Phione. It's not a legendary, it's just a piece of garbage GAME FREAK spent 5 minutes designing.

Wobbuffet. It's not strong, just annoying, and with pathetic stats it's easy to defeat.

The Benevolent Cynic Daemon Aki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CynthiaLover View Post
    Underrated:

Tauros: Probably my favorite Normal-type. It's such a wicked physical sweeper when used the right way, and can have really good defenses as well. Learns a lot of different moves, can counter its Fighting-type weakness with just Zen Headbutt, and a really awesome Pokemon (it was also the ONLY Pokemon I was unable to catch in my original Red, keeping me from completing the PokeDex).

Manectric: Very underrated. A really cool concept, a nice selection of moves, and one of my favorite Electric-types. This guy needs more love if you ask me.

Arbok: This snake is awesome! It learns such great moves and has very balanced stats. It is also very cool because of the fact the hood pattern changes in each region it appears. A good offensive Poison-type, something that they really lack.

Mightyena: I love this Dark-type. It's the earliest Dark-type you can get, it looks really cool, great concept, and can have a pretty good selection of moves to use. I love using one with only fang moves, making more sense to its species name.

Relicanth: A really overlooked Water/Rock-type. While so slow, it's bulky, and when you use Head Smash with the Ability Rock Head, a one Mon demolition crew with no recoil. Plus I find its concept really cool, basically a living fossil hiding in the deep. So cool.

Overrated:

Metagross: Seriously, I hate this thing. I always see it and it always gives me hell. I'm glad it loses some resistances, so now I can get rid of it with Ghost and Dark moves more easily. Such a freaky-looking thing, too.

Scizor: Like with Metagross, I see this guy everywhere, and it's driving me insane. While a single Fire-type move rids me of it, somehow it's always on a team, and somehow always gives me grief. While I will try raise one once in a while, I usually box it because I get weary of it. Plus somehow it never really clicks with me.

Tyranitar: Same reasons as Dragonite. And it's everywhere, always in every team, always giving me a royal headache, and a pain to raise up to that point. Seriously, I'm really fed up with it, and just want it to go away.
    ^ Time-saving since I feel the exact same on those (bar Tauros preventing me from completing R/B/Y 'Dex. Electabuzz was my "last one")

To add:

Underrated:

Swampert - Yes, Gastrodon exists, but that's OU. In UU, Swampert is a rarity strangely. The ability to set up SR along with decent Attack for Waterfall, Earthquake and Hammer Arm? Low Speed to actually abuse Avalanche? Good defenses as well? Why is this not used so much...?

Lunatone - Okay so its stats aren't great (or even good really...) but have you tried using this in TR with an Armaldo to cover it? You can get crazy coverage with those 2. Okay so Water types might be an issue, but that's what the next one is for...

Golduck - For a Pokemon in NU with Cloud Nine to nullify weather, Golduck doesn't see as much use as I'd expect, especially with rampant Sun teams in that tier. And, as mentioned above, it can form decent synergy with the above 2.

Porygon-Z - This is a sad, but simple, case. Porygon2 is flat-out better at what it does, leaving Z in the dust. It still isn't horrible though, especially with that Sp. Atk. If you can Pass some Yanmega Speed Boosts to it, you'd have a powerhouse.

Overrated:

Garchomp - Ugh...I dislike the design for a start. Plus it is, literally, EVERYWHERE. Then GF decide to boost it further...>_>

Machamp - Maybe it's just me, but I see this guy quite often. At first, I couldn't remember for the life of me why I used to hate it so (hadn't faced one in ages). The first turn quickly reminded me.

Ferrothorn - I like the Water type. I always pick the Water starter, I've rolled with a Water Mono-type team most, most of the Pokemon I like are at least part-Water. This thing is a mobile tombstone for Water types...and it just loves to remind me so so often.

Such a photogenic face...

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Underrated:

Floatzel - No surprise I put my favorite Pokemon here, Buizel is somewhat popular, but it's evolution is extremely overlooked. It has a cool design, great stats, and a great moveset, and yet it's barely mentioned by people in comparison to it's pre-evo. One person told me that it's not popular due to not that many appearances in the anime and manga (which I agree with), as well as him complaining that it's "just a bigger Buizel", when really, why is it a problem just for being "a bigger Buizel", Arcanine is just a bigger Growlithe, Muk is just a bigger Grimer, Dugtrio is just three Diglett, Magneton is just three Magnemite, and those were all Gen 1 Pokemon I mentioned. Why should Floatzel be ignored for that reason?

Mienshao - A Pokemon that's looked upon probably even LESS than Floatzel, great stats, great moves (it even learns Aura Sphere), and a unique design, but is almost barely mentioned in comparison to other Gen 5 Pokemon.

Watchog - Ridiculed for being both allegedly ugly and being a regional rodent, I think it's cute to be honest, and it learns a few good moves actually, and yet it gets ridiculed by people for being a rodent.

Manectric - One of the best concepts for an Electric type with a variety of good moves, and it gets ignored in favor of Ampharos and Luxray.

Ninetales - One of the first Pokemon I ever loved. Fox based Pokemon are almost always the most popular Pokemon, but in comparison to other fox Pokemon like Eevee, Zoroark, and most recently Braixen, Ninetales is barely even mentioned anymore, and just like Floatzel, Ninetales isn't as popular as it's previous form Vulpix.

Druddigon - Looked over in comparison to other Dragon types for some reason, probably due to being standalone.

Overrated:

Pikachu - Obvious reason is obvious

Eevee and all of it's evolutions (Umbreon and Espeon most especially) - This is a Pokemon I am anymore getting sick of seeing, it's in almost every fan-fic and fan-comic (if it's PMD, it's almost ALWAYS the main character), you go on DeviantART and almost every other Pokemon pic is an Eeveelution one. To me, the only reason people like Eevee is because it's a cutesy fluffy Pokemon, and cutesy fluffy Pokemon are always the most appealing to people. It's also the most unoriginal choice for fan characters, there are over 700 Pokemon at this point, and they keep always going to these ones, get original people...

Every Fire starter (except Tepig) - The Fire type starter (with the exception of Tepig because of the Fire/Fighting controversy) is ALWAYS the most popular of each generations starters, and not just a specific form, but the whole evolution line. The most popular is Charizard due to being one of the most recognizable Pokemon, followed by Blaziken for it's stats and moveset, and it seems like Fennekin is heading in the same direction, double points for it being a fox Pokemon.

Ampharos - Everyone seems to like this Pokemon for some reason, and I just don't get why, I never really found it that appealing.

Luxray - Remember what I said about Manectric? This Pokemon is so common in fanart and peoples teams it's unreal at this point.

Lucario - Do I REALLY need to explain this one? It got it's own movie, it was in Brawl, and now it has a Mega Evolution that's becoming more popular than the Gen 6 Pokemon simply for being Lucario, and even the most popular Gen 6 Pokemon (which at this point is now Braixen) cannot hold the torch in its tail up to it.

Zoroark - Same reason as Lucario.

All Dragon types except Druddigon - Enough said, ESPECIALLY Garchomp, which is now worse since they gave it a Mega Evolution now...

Tyranitar and Metagross - Same reason as the Dragon types, and I just find Metagross ugly in my opinion.

Any Pokemon that has somehow spawned an internet meme - I'm looking at you Slowpoke, Magikarp, Mudkip, Bidoof, and Stunfisk
    Last edited by Robo-Floatzel; 16th September 2013 at 09:29 PM.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Overrated

- mostly worshipped as godly figures that are immortal in battless

Dragonite
    Just because Lance has one doesn't mean it is epic as hell >.> Dragonites can be defeated in one way or another.

Kingdra
    My Typhlosion KO'd Clair's Kingdra in GSC and HGSS- AND I WAS SOLO'ING IN BOTH GENERATIONS. HAHAHA. TAKE THAT.

Salamance
    I tried using one and it got KO'd by something that wasn't even an Ice or Dragon attack. Ditched.

Garchomp
    This friggin dragon is everywhere and the Cynthia hype only added more dislike -.- And it even got a Mega evo wtf. It's not even cool looking.

Hydreigon
    Ghetsis' Hydreigon was super cool - until people started calling it immortal and "nothing can survive upon switching out on Hydreigon". TEAR THAT EFFING DRAGON TO BITS, GARDEVOIR!!.

Haxorus
    Yes it's partially a hax pokemon, but I still find no reason to worship this guy when Drayden is the only person who was using this Dragon exceptionally well at the PWT.

Lucario
    More like overhyped.

Charizard
    Is it just me that my Charizard keeps dying on me?

Eeveelutions
    All of them except Umbreon. And maybe Vaporeon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Kyriaki View Post
    Eeveelutions
    But those two are exactly the most popular eeveelutions, along Espeon ._.

Underrated:

Porygon2- most second evolutions are overlooked but Porygon2 is extremely bulky and has a nice offensive presence. Both of its abilities are great as well

Sableye- This thing is so annoying. Whenever I face it it seems like half of my team gets crippled before I can finish it off

Breloom- Even though technician breloom was really hyped when it was released I think it is better than advertised. If you can put it in play at the right time it can use spore to put one pokemon to sleep and then hammer the incoming pokemon with focus punch/bullet seed then finish it off with mach punch. I cant overstate how effective it is

Overrated:

Haxorus- most people are in awe of its 147 attack but it is kind of slow and frail and can usually be finished off before it does much damage

Forretress- I know it can use rapid spin which is handy but it always seems to die really fast when I use it despite its huge defense and sturdy

Dragonite- its always been really popular but it is really easy to KO if stealth rock is up

Underrated

Garboder
    Ok its ugly and thats all people care about but I always rent it in the PWT and it can learn some awesome moves.

Overated

Charizard
    I think we can all agree on this. He's got a pretty boring design a orange dragon woooo and people always choose him because he looks cool.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Reila View Post
    Eeveelutions
    But those two are exactly the most popular eeveelutions, along Espeon ._.
    Because those two have actually proved to be useful to me and won my heart over. Yes I know they are extremely overhyped, but I can't bring myself to say that. Unlike Charizard, who kept dying on me, that is...

Same with Flygon. I'd normally have written down ALL dragons as overrated + overhyped, but Flygon proved his usefulness to me and won me over as well.

Blog Entries

Because those two have actually proved to be useful to me and won my heart over. Yes I know they are extremely overhyped, but I can't bring myself to say that. Unlike Charizard, who kept dying on me, that is...

Same with Flygon. I'd normally have written down ALL dragons as overrated + overhyped, but Flygon proved his usefulness to me and won me over as well.
    That makes sense.

Still, by this logic, Garchomp is everything but overrated, for example. It is extremely strong and useful, unlike some pests like Charizard.

Blog Entries
    Add Spyspotter on MySpace

Underrated:

Flygon. Yes, it was popular in Generation III, but when Garchomp came out, Flygon was crushed.

Aggron: It has grave weaknesses but it is in fact really powerful if you know how to use it.

Many ridiculed Generation V Pokémon such as Garbodor, Vanilluxe, and Klinklang

Bibarel: With the right moveset, you can turn this into an unstoppable killing machine.

Probopass: Its design threw many people off but he's awesome if you know how to use him, sort of like Aggron

Snorlax: With Snore and Sleep Talk and backed up with great defenses, this guy is pure awesomeness.

Dugtrio: Basically, he's a Wobbuffet that is actually backed up with power with Arena Trap.

Carracosta: He's awesomer than Archeops. 'Nuff said.

Beheeyem and Reuniclus. Okay, Reuniclus has a significant enough fan base, but Beheeyem is the definition of underrated.

Honchkrow: Powerhouse backed up with a good movepool.

Xatu: Nice Special Attack stat with a pretty good movepool.

Plus Bronzong, Magcargo, Camerupt, Primeape, Electrode, Swalot, Chimecho, Armaldo, and Torterra.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast