Which Overhaul Is Suitable

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Which Overhaul Is Suitable

  1. #1
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,123
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default Which Overhaul Is Suitable

    Every generation tends to bring something new to the game mechanics. Gen II brought genders, day/nighttimes, breeding, items, and the special split, Gen III brought double battles, natures, and an EV/IV overhaul, Gen IV brought the Physical/Special split and inheriting IVs, and Gen V brought Triple battles, Rotation battles, and unbreakable TMs. But what about Gen VI, and how is it going to revolutionize the core gameplay? My prediction here is that there could be an overhaul. What kind of overhaul? I'm not sure. Here are three options on what it could be:

    Base Stat Overhaul - redistributing the previous 649's default stats as a way of nerfing the overpowered ones and buffing underpowered ones

    Movepool Overhaul - Adding/Removing moves on a Pokemon's movepool without having to get rid of the TM overall (Ex: Removing Ice Beam from Water types without having to get rid of it as a TM move)

    Type Chart Overhaul - Adding/Removing a certain type's advantage/disadvantage/resistance to give the lesser used types a chance

    Which of these overhaul is best suited as a revolutionary change?

  2. #2
    zzz YamiiDenryuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    1,816
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Which Overhaul Is Suitable

    I think I'd like to see a base stat overhaul, but that runs the risk of leaving just as many Pokemon broken or unusable as already are, just different ones. Balancing over 600 critters (700 once Gen VI is out) is tough.

    Moveset overhauls already happen between generations, even if it's mostly of the level-up moves, so expanding on that wouldn't be too hard.

    Type chart overhaul just sounds for a recipe for disaster.

  3. #3
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,123
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default Re: Which Overhaul Is Suitable

    Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    Moveset overhauls already happen between generations, even if it's mostly of the level-up moves, so expanding on that wouldn't be too hard.
    The main focus of the movepool overhaul are TM moves rather than level-up moves, since those are how they achieve their power. Adding/Removing veteran TM moves that have been TMs since the very beginning could benefit others in some way, because it's never been done before. That's why I used Ice Beam as an example.

  4. #4
    zzz YamiiDenryuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    1,816
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Which Overhaul Is Suitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    Moveset overhauls already happen between generations, even if it's mostly of the level-up moves, so expanding on that wouldn't be too hard.
    The main focus of the movepool overhaul are TM moves rather than level-up moves, since those are how they achieve their power. Adding/Removing veteran TM moves that have been TMs since the very beginning could benefit others in some way, because it's never been done before. That's why I used Ice Beam as an example.
    That's what I meant by expanding on the changes they already do- they already change level-up move lists between generations (and even between games in the same gen), so they could expand that to overhauling TM compatibilities.

  5. #5
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,172
    Blog Entries
    227

    Default Re: Which Overhaul Is Suitable

    Hmm... that base stat total overhaul sounds quite sexy, but I'd just want the crappy Pokemon to have better stats, and leave the good Pokemon untouched.

  6. #6
    Cosmic Sky Demon Dragonfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The Skies of Kalos
    Posts
    1,083
    Blog Entries
    126

    Default Re: Which Overhaul Is Suitable

    That base stat overhaul. The metagame could use a good refresh.

    Though, would they really go through that trouble? It would be awesome, but I'm sure they already have quite a lot on their hands developing the new Gen VI pokémon. A change as massive as that would need extensive research and a lot of work.

    [sources: sig gif|avatar]

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    199

    Default Re: Which Overhaul Is Suitable

    Type Chart Overhaul, and not just adding and removing current type's effects, what I mean is adding a new type. So simple, yet this will pass on the revolutionary change, you wouldn't even expect that this will destroy the entire metagame and the type chart.

    On why I want Game Freak to add a new type in Generation VI, my reasons are simple as well. I want them to refresh the metagame and the core gameplay; and at the same time, for Game Freak to have fresh new ideas in making new Pokemon and new moves and even new themes for a certain generation. Let's face it, adding new Pokemon, new moves, and new abilities is not enough; if they want the franchise to be still interesting as the years pass, they need changes, sometimes small, but sometimes big.

    On what new type I want Game Freak to introduce in Generation VI? It's the Light-type. Yeah, I know it's been suggested for a long time since Gold and Silver, and has been criticized by most Pokemon fans (and some of you here as well), but it is the remaining new type that will make sense for Game Freak to add it on their type chart. I know why the critics criticized the Light-type on Pokemon. Some say that the Dark-type on Pokemon is not about darkness (which I know is true); some are afraid on overhauls on the type chart just because they are used to it; some say that Psychic and Fighting-types is already alike to that of the Light-type. My response on the latter, the attributes of the Psychic-type is that they can use Psychic powers, and the Fighting-type's attributes is that they use martial arts and they are fighting physically, they don't have the attributes on empathy, which I will now explain in the next paragraph.

    My definition on the Light-type is not the good versus evil that most of the Pokemon fans thought of regarding the said type, but our meaning to that is empathy or enlightenment. Since the Dark-type Pokemon's behaviors are using dirty tricks and cheap tactics, then the Light-type Pokemon's behaviors are they are good-hearted, soothing, and helpful. So what I mean is, the Light-type is a behavioral type like the Dark-type. Of course, this doesn't mean Light-type's moves will be mostly supporting moves, they'll have attacking moves as well.

    So yeah, I'm hoping that this is the overhaul that Game Freak should implement in Generation VI, especially that they will be moving to the Nintendo 3DS.
    Last edited by bian; 23rd September 2012 at 02:25 AM.
    El_ likes this.

  8. #8
    Your resident cynic. Wishmaker Jirachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    212
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Which Overhaul Is Suitable

    Quote Originally Posted by bian View Post
    Type Chart Overhaul, and not just adding and removing current type's effects, what I mean is adding a new type. So simple, yet this will pass on the revolutionary change, you wouldn't even expect that this will destroy the entire metagame and the type chart.

    On why I want Game Freak to add a new type in Generation VI, my reasons are simple as well. I want them to refresh the metagame and the core gameplay; and at the same time, for Game Freak to have fresh new ideas in making new Pokemon and new moves and even new themes for a certain generation. Let's face it, adding new Pokemon, new moves, and new abilities is not enough; if they want the franchise to be still interesting as the years pass, they need changes, sometimes small, but sometimes big.

    On what new type I want Game Freak to introduce in Generation VI? It's the Light-type. Yeah, I know it's been suggested for a long time since Gold and Silver, and has been criticized by most Pokemon fans (and some of you here as well), but it is the remaining new type that will make sense for Game Freak to add it on their type chart. I know why the critics criticized the Light-type on Pokemon. Some say that the Dark-type on Pokemon is not about darkness (which I know is true); some are afraid on overhauls on the type chart just because they are used to it; some say that Psychic and Fighting-types is already alike to that of the Light-type. My response on the latter, the attributes of the Psychic-type is that they can use Psychic powers, and the Fighting-type's attributes is that they use martial arts and they are fighting physically, they don't have the attributes on empathy, which I will now explain in the next paragraph.

    My definition on the Light-type is not the good versus evil that most of the Pokemon fans thought of regarding the said type, but our meaning to that is empathy or enlightenment. Since the Dark-type Pokemon's behaviors are using dirty tricks and cheap tactics, then the Light-type Pokemon's behaviors are they are good-hearted, soothing, and helpful. So what I mean is, the Light-type is a behavioral type like the Dark-type. Of course, this doesn't mean Light-type's moves will be mostly supporting moves, they'll have attacking moves as well.

    So yeah, I'm hoping that this is the overhaul that Game Freak should implement in Generation VI, especially that they will be moving to the Nintendo 3DS.
    It wouldn't make sense to have a Light type of empathy and enlightenment when the whole point of certain Pokémon's Pokédex entries (as well as some story elements) to do that work for you. Take Reshiram/Zekrom for example, the Truth/Ideals battle. Intertwined with N's backstory and development, that's given us Black & White with a story that outlines a lot of things we might not have thought about before.
    It's not that we don't have any of what you listed, it's just how it's applied - distributed differently across different Pokémon. An example: The reason Dark-types have a weakness to Fighting is because it's not just a behavioural type, but because of the Japanese name (Aku) which means Evil. Granted, not every one of these are downright evil, but they represent the archetype - Fighting, on the other hand, has a certain feeling of heroism to it, which comes from that archetype of "good triumphs evil". It's not "good-hearted" as such, but the sense of heroism that some of the Pokémon of this type represent.
    Plus, we generally receive some sort of good-natured Pokémon each Generation, mainly being Normal-type Pokémon.
    The one thing that I'd like to see come out of this is that Arceus gains Light to his reportoire if it ever comes to frutition. If they ever did do a Light type I would see it being more like a divine sort of type, which would finally give me an excuse to name a Pokémon after Tekken's Angel.
    Finally, we can't have Light-type representing actual light - that's what the Electric-type does. A manifestation of photons, maybe...

    ...of course, the LAST thing the metagame wants (not just the community, mind you) is a new Type to deal with. We have 17 types that cover every element and archetype already, and there's 649 Pokémon to recalculate in the tier list and a whole 100 or so more to add there...that is, given that Generation VI actually happens.
    Ghetsis-Dennis likes this.
    I'm the resident cynic of two forums.
    Pokémon Claim: White Kyurem
    Move Claim: Ice Burn
    Item Claim: DNA Splicers (All related!)

  9. #9
    (!) Let's battle! Fair Verona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    EVERYWHERE. EVER.
    Posts
    507

    Default Re: Which Overhaul Is Suitable

    I'm not sure how, but I would be okay with a change in base stats if it meant some of the NU Pokemon got some love. I'm tired of the unpopular Pokemon getting otherwise ignored.
    Ghetsis-Dennis likes this.
    My official Black 2 team.

    Some days it's a good day to die. Other times it's just a good day to have breakfast.

  10. #10
    Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    22,024
    Blog Entries
    199
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

    Default Re: Which Overhaul Is Suitable

    Im going to say the Base Stat Overhaul is the best. Id like to see some Pokemon get better stats and for things to become more balanced. I do not want to see any new types or changes to the Type chart, I think it's fine how it is I also don't really want to see any major changes to movepools or TMs.

  11. #11
    ε(´3`)з crystallineEntropy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    5,095
    Blog Entries
    152

    Default Re: Which Overhaul Is Suitable

    I'm meh about all of them.

    The base stat one would have a pretty awesome effect on the metagame and stuff, but there are ways to balance it more without screwing around with stats. Instead of giving something like, say, Delcatty, a 90/100/100/80/80/95 base stat spread or something, expand its movepool to include really good moves, like Sketch maybe a 180 base power Normal-type attack that doesn't lower your stats like V-create. Or give it a good ability, like maybe an ability that boosts defense and sp defense by two stages each time it takes a hit. I mean, these are just examples, but I think changing stats just to balance the metagame more is a stupid thing to do.

    Same with the other two overhauls. Through I think adding old moves (ie Flamethrower) to a Pokemon's movepool is fine.

  12. #12
    Registered User Anser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Venezuela
    Posts
    788

    Default Re: Which Overhaul Is Suitable

    The Base Stat Overhaul, definitely. Many Pokémon will be thankful.

  13. #13
    Steel Pokémon Master Bulletproof Scales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Uncertain
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    463
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Which Overhaul Is Suitable

    GF's put decent thought into the BSs of each of the pokémon, concerning how physically durable Delcatty is or how threatening Haxorus's power is these stats aren't something GF would ever start tinker around with. E.g. I'm neither in favor of increasing the average BST (which GF seem to be doing on it's own chord) or having 500BST Volbeat and 450BST Scizor for the sake of a metagame shuffle.
    I'm in favor of the introduction of a new type, or a pair of them. I'm also possible a slight movepool tweek could be in place, wherein overdistributed coverage moves could be looked over, I'm unsure how they'd handle it though.
    Det ligger tomhylsor i parken
    Våra fötter är en meter över marken

  14. #14
    Your resident cynic. Wishmaker Jirachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    212
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Which Overhaul Is Suitable

    You know, I just realised, if they removed moves like Ice Beam from the reportoire of Pokémon from previous Generations for them to learn, they just need to learn it in a previous Generation and bam, instant Ice Beam. It's especially easy to do this in Generation V so this is pointless if a previous Generation can allow them to learn those moves before a transfer to the newer Generation.
    I'm the resident cynic of two forums.
    Pokémon Claim: White Kyurem
    Move Claim: Ice Burn
    Item Claim: DNA Splicers (All related!)

  15. #15
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,123
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default Re: Which Overhaul Is Suitable

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishmaker Jirachi View Post
    You know, I just realised, if they removed moves like Ice Beam from the reportoire of Pokémon from previous Generations for them to learn, they just need to learn it in a previous Generation and bam, instant Ice Beam. It's especially easy to do this in Generation V so this is pointless if a previous Generation can allow them to learn those moves before a transfer to the newer Generation.
    There is the idea of Gen V games being incompactible to Gen VI games ala GBA days to prevent such a thing (as well as giving an excuse for a R/S/E remake).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •