Opinion of Gates to Infinity?

Thread: Opinion of Gates to Infinity?

Question Opinion of Gates to Infinity?

Years ago, I played mystery dungeon: explorers of time, and I really loved the story (it's one of my favourite games to date). Recently, I played it again, and found out that gates to infinity had come out on 3DS. I haven't been able to find many reviews that focus on the story, so I was wondering: to those of you that have played both explorers of time/darkness/sky and gates to infinity, does gates to infinity have a good story, and should I buy it?

Default Re: Opinion of Gates to Infinity?

GtI was extremely disappointing compared to its predecessors imo

Story was meh, permanent Exp. Share for all your Pokémon was a terrible idea, design of pretty much everything doesn't nearly live up to that of the older games, etc

Long story short, Gates to Infinity was really, really far away from being as awesome as the other installments of the series.

Blog Entries
    Follow returnofMCH On Twitter Add returnofMCH on Facebook Add returnofMCH on Google+ Add returnofMCH on MySpace
    Add returnofMCH on Linkedin Follow returnofMCH on Tumblr Follow returnofMCH on Flickr Visit returnofMCH's Youtube Channel

I liked it, but people outside japan didn't
    people who played the wiiware mystery dungeons in japan liked it however.
    banner credit to caprizant

Blog Entries

I honestly did not like GTI much at all compared to the past Mystery Dungeon games. The story confused (and bored) the hell out of me and it just seemed to jump from one thing to the next without much linking of the events together. And a lot of the characters just come out of nowhere and don't seem to ever have much development or progress at all imo. And those who do end up "changing" really feel forced and/or rushed. I just didn't feel the same emotion and intensity from the first two games at all.

Additionally, there is a severely low amount of total Pokemon than the past PMD games (both of which I believe contained all Pokemon possible from their generations) and the starter selection in itself is pitiful imo. I also hated the fact that they took out the personality test as that was one of my favorite aspects of the first two games.

Overall, I wound't recommend it honestly, but if you really want to try it out, go for if you think you'll enjoy it. I just personally feel like PMD1 and 2 are far more enjoyable in terms of plot.

Ok, thanks :)

I think I'll stick to Explorers for now.

Blog Entries

I would not recommend GTI over the other games in the PMD series, but I think it was okay. It wasn't amazing or anything, as the plot really did not stand up to those of the Rescue Team or Explorers games. It overall just didn't feel as though it had a single coherent plot and it seemed to focus on too any things at once. At times, it was a bit difficult to get into the story and keep up with it seeing as it took so many twists and turns. Despite that, the story was incredibly short compared to the others, so the game really didn't last all that long and there isn't a lot of replayability. The game makes itself longer by no longer allowing you to take on more than one mission at a time even if they are in the same dungeon, and it just makes the game more tedious and more of a chore. There were a lot of characters and good characters, but there were very few truly good characters. A lot of the entertained me, but the majority just weren't all that compared to those of the past games.

If there's one thing it did well, it was conveying the friendship between the Hero and Partner Pokemon. I have never felt a stronger bond between the two main heroes of the game and I'd be lying if I said the ending didn't make me come close to shedding two tears. Also, the post game story is really clever, in my opinion, and is what really sets it apart from the first two games.

A major turn off would be the fact that there is an incredibly low amount of Pokemon to recruit and play as for the main story, as has been mentioned. Overall, it was decent, but it just doesn't compare to either the Rescue Team or Explorers games in terms of story and general enjoyment. I wouldn't say it isn't worth playing, but I wouldn't call it a must have, either.

Thanks, I'll consider buying it next time I get the chance. From what you've said, the story seems pretty good. :)