offline pokédex

View Poll Results: are you interested in an offline pokédex utility tool

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    4 80.00%
  • no

    1 20.00%
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: offline pokédex

  1. #1
    Registered User qixz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default offline pokédex

    Hi bulbabuddies,

    A few days ago i decided i wanted to make an offline pokédex tool in order to search for pokémons with certain resistances, move sets, stats etc. without the need to search trough bulbapedia every time i wonder if such a pokémon exists. My question to u guys and girls is: Would you be interested in such a tool? If so i'll release it to the public when i'm done. Also i just got done with formatting pokémon names abilities stats types gen5 moves into 1 xml file if ur interested in that file for whatever reason feel free to send me a pm.

  2. #2
    一級空手家! Water Max's Avatar Bulbanews Writer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Durham, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,718
    Blog Entries
    37
    Follow Water Max On Twitter Add Water Max on Facebook
    Add Water Max on Linkedin Follow Water Max on Tumblr Visit Water Max's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: offline pokédex

    Quote Originally Posted by qixz View Post
    Hi bulbabuddies,

    A few days ago i decided i wanted to make an offline pokédex tool in order to search for pokémons with certain resistances, move sets, stats etc. without the need to search trough bulbapedia every time i wonder if such a pokémon exists. My question to u guys and girls is: Would you be interested in such a tool? If so i'll release it to the public when i'm done. Also i just got done with formatting pokémon names abilities stats types gen5 moves into 1 xml file if ur interested in that file for whatever reason feel free to send me a pm.
    Two official offline Pokédexes already exist for the 3DS and iOS devices. They are called Pokédex 3D Pro and Pokédex for iOS respectively. I also think this would take a very long time for you to complete since there are 649 Pokémon and a lot more will be coming very soon.
    Staff member of Bulbanews (Writer).
    Original Poster of the Kingdom of Pokémon [v1.5]-[v4].
    I've claimed Cacturne, Suicune, Hustle, Hydro Cannon and Gary.

  3. #3
    Registered User qixz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: offline pokédex

    Quote Originally Posted by Water Max View Post
    Two official offline Pokédexes already exist for the 3DS and iOS devices. They are called Pokédex 3D Pro and Pokédex for iOS respectively. I also think this would take a very long time for you to complete since there are 649 Pokémon and a lot more will be coming very soon.
    The idea is to make a pokédex with lots of extra search functionalities. I have not seen said 3DS and iOS versions but i'm assuming these do not have that. As for the 649 pokemon, I have already made a data file containing all of their abilities, types, stats and gen 5 moves by leveling, breeding, TM/HM and move tutor. making this file only took me around a day and updating this data should now only be a mater of minutes thanks to bulbapedia ;). adding support for additional data like previous gen moves or other things should also just take a day at max. So essentially all the data is already readily available for me.

  4. #4
    Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Where the Adventure Lies
    Posts
    1,158
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: offline pokédex

    Quote Originally Posted by qixz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Max View Post
    Two official offline Pokédexes already exist for the 3DS and iOS devices. They are called Pokédex 3D Pro and Pokédex for iOS respectively. I also think this would take a very long time for you to complete since there are 649 Pokémon and a lot more will be coming very soon.
    The idea is to make a pokédex with lots of extra search functionalities. I have not seen said 3DS and iOS versions but i'm assuming these do not have that. As for the 649 pokemon, I have already made a data file containing all of their abilities, types, stats and gen 5 moves by leveling, breeding, TM/HM and move tutor. making this file only took me around a day and updating this data should now only be a mater of minutes thanks to bulbapedia ;). adding support for additional data like previous gen moves or other things should also just take a day at max. So essentially all the data is already readily available for me.
    They do some of this, they list moveset, types, abilities, evolution methods, egg groups, etc. It's only accurate for BW1 IIRC (maybe BW2), though.

  5. #5
    一級空手家! Water Max's Avatar Bulbanews Writer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Durham, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,718
    Blog Entries
    37
    Follow Water Max On Twitter Add Water Max on Facebook
    Add Water Max on Linkedin Follow Water Max on Tumblr Visit Water Max's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: offline pokédex

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by qixz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Max View Post
    Two official offline Pokédexes already exist for the 3DS and iOS devices. They are called Pokédex 3D Pro and Pokédex for iOS respectively. I also think this would take a very long time for you to complete since there are 649 Pokémon and a lot more will be coming very soon.
    The idea is to make a pokédex with lots of extra search functionalities. I have not seen said 3DS and iOS versions but i'm assuming these do not have that. As for the 649 pokemon, I have already made a data file containing all of their abilities, types, stats and gen 5 moves by leveling, breeding, TM/HM and move tutor. making this file only took me around a day and updating this data should now only be a mater of minutes thanks to bulbapedia ;). adding support for additional data like previous gen moves or other things should also just take a day at max. So essentially all the data is already readily available for me.
    They do some of this, they list moveset, types, abilities, evolution methods, egg groups, etc. It's only accurate for BW1 IIRC (maybe BW2), though.
    I know that the Pokédex for iOS application has information about moves which can be learnt from the move tutors in Black 2 and White 2 so I think it is accurate for those two versions as well.
    Staff member of Bulbanews (Writer).
    Original Poster of the Kingdom of Pokémon [v1.5]-[v4].
    I've claimed Cacturne, Suicune, Hustle, Hydro Cannon and Gary.

  6. #6
    Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Where the Adventure Lies
    Posts
    1,158
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: offline pokédex

    Quote Originally Posted by Water Max View Post
    I know that the Pokédex for iOS application has information about moves which can be learnt from the move tutors in Black 2 and White 2 so I think it is accurate for those two versions as well.
    The only one I'm really familiar with is the original Pokedex 3D (there's no way in hell I'm buying Pro for more than $5), so IDK exactly what 3D Pro does either. I think the iOS is like Pro, though.

  7. #7
    Silver Strategician LadyScathach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA (GMT -5)
    Posts
    279
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: offline pokédex

    3D Pro has number, name, evolution, weight, and height as organization features in the Pokedex. As a search feature you get first letter of the name, two types, egg group, ability, region, and registered moves (though you can only search for moves you bookmark). The other features are the base stats (roughly), height, weight, movie clip, pause button, cry, pronunciation, egg group, pokedex entry, abilites, evolution chain, damage by type (defensively), and moves.

    There's also a movedex that allows you to search for moves via elemental type, move category (status, physical, special), and first letter of the name. Sort options are by power and name. Move listings include power, accuracy, PP, move category, range, flavor text, and a list of pokemon that can learn it and how. And whatever 'long' and 'DA' means. Maybe something about physical contact?

  8. #8
    Lord Servine Ruuku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Australia, Tas
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: offline pokédex

    A pokedex that you can use outside of the game, without a connection, not to mention FREE OF AN EXTORTIONATE $40 PRICE-POINT! Would be a godsend

    Okay, so I'm probably exaggerating, but I shouldn't have to pay for something I already have in-game XD

  9. #9
    Registered User qixz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: offline pokédex

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyScathach View Post
    3D Pro has number, name, evolution, weight, and height as organization features in the Pokedex. As a search feature you get first letter of the name, two types, egg group, ability, region, and registered moves (though you can only search for moves you bookmark). The other features are the base stats (roughly), height, weight, movie clip, pause button, cry, pronunciation, egg group, pokedex entry, abilites, evolution chain, damage by type (defensively), and moves.

    There's also a movedex that allows you to search for moves via elemental type, move category (status, physical, special), and first letter of the name. Sort options are by power and name. Move listings include power, accuracy, PP, move category, range, flavor text, and a list of pokemon that can learn it and how. And whatever 'long' and 'DA' means. Maybe something about physical contact?
    Welp in that case GF/Nintendo did waaay more then i thought they would have done. Originally thought it was a cash grab but turns out its legit fan service. This would mean my first iteration would be inferior to the 3DS one since detailed move information was something i was thinking about to have in the second iteration and even then it would still be inferior in a lot of ways. I will most likely need months before being somewhat up to par with that. This project has however sparked my interest so i will most likely start development in a couple of weeks once my holidays start, and we'll see how far i can/am willing to get.

  10. #10
    Silver Strategician LadyScathach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA (GMT -5)
    Posts
    279
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: offline pokédex

    Quote Originally Posted by qixz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyScathach View Post
    3D Pro has number, name, evolution, weight, and height as organization features in the Pokedex. As a search feature you get first letter of the name, two types, egg group, ability, region, and registered moves (though you can only search for moves you bookmark). The other features are the base stats (roughly), height, weight, movie clip, pause button, cry, pronunciation, egg group, pokedex entry, abilites, evolution chain, damage by type (defensively), and moves.

    There's also a movedex that allows you to search for moves via elemental type, move category (status, physical, special), and first letter of the name. Sort options are by power and name. Move listings include power, accuracy, PP, move category, range, flavor text, and a list of pokemon that can learn it and how. And whatever 'long' and 'DA' means. Maybe something about physical contact?
    Welp in that case GF/Nintendo did waaay more then i thought they would have done. Originally thought it was a cash grab but turns out its legit fan service. This would mean my first iteration would be inferior to the 3DS one since detailed move information was something i was thinking about to have in the second iteration and even then it would still be inferior in a lot of ways. I will most likely need months before being somewhat up to par with that. This project has however sparked my interest so i will most likely start development in a couple of weeks once my holidays start, and we'll see how far i can/am willing to get.
    Yeah, they did a nice job on it. It'd be pretty cool if you did something like this, especially when XY come out, because there isn't any data on those yet. Unless Game Freak did an extension...

    And yeah, I myself was thinking of coding up a Java applet for type matchups for Gen VI, but eh. Depends on how much time I have this summer.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •