Nintendo releases official annoucement of next handheld: "3DS"

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo releases official annoucement of next handheld: "3DS"

Default Nintendo releases official annoucement of next handheld: "3DS"

[Updated]: http://ds.ign.com/articles/107/1079233p1.html

March 23, 2010 - Nintendo has announced the 3DS, a new hand-held system set for release before March 2011 in Japan. This new system will be fully unveiled at this year's E3 show in June.

Are you interested in the 3DS?

While details are a bit slim as of now, the announcement stated the console would incorporate 3D technology without the need for players to wear special glasses. The 3DS will also be backwards compatible with all DS and DSi software.

Nintendo says this new portable machine will "succeed" the DS series. As of December 2009, the DS console has sold 125 million units worldwide.

Rumors of a new DS console have been buzzing for a while now. The latest instance came from President and CEO Satoru Iwata, when he reportedly told Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun the company was working on a DS successor that would have "highly detailed graphics" and use a sensor with the ability to "read the movements of people playing." Another rumor suggested NVIDIA's Tegra processor would power a new DS hand-held. Both of these reports remain unconfirmed as of now, however.

IGN has contacted Nintendo for additional details. We'll update this post when we hear more.

Update: Several Japanese news outlets have reported on still unconfirmed features for the device. These include a new joystick, force-feedback, and increases in battery and wireless support.

The 3DS will be unveiled, and playable, at this year's E3, according to a Nintendo executive in Japan.

"We wanted to give the gaming industry a head's up about what to expect from Nintendo at E3," Ken Toyoda, chief spokesman at Nintendo told the New York Times. "We'll invite people to play with the new device then."
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/23/breaking-nintendo-announces-the-3ds-more-news-at-e3/#continued

Quote Originally Posted by Joystiq
    A press release over on Nintendo's website appears to confirm the company's next handheld console. It is temporarily named the "Nintendo 3DS," and is said to include hardware and software that will enable "3D effects" without needing any glasses. The console is said to be backwards compatible with DS and DSi games, and is expected to go on sale (in Japan, presumably) "during the fiscal year ending March 2011" -- so within the next year. The press release has no pictures or other information, and save for the fact that it appears as a file on Nintendo's website, there's no other official information about the new hardware.

There are a few dots to connect, however -- 3D gaming is on the rise, and a few other companies have also experimented with head tracking as a way to implement 3D effects. Nintendo's own Satoru Iwata hasn't been impressed with 3D gaming in the past, but his issue is with the glasses, not the technology: "I have doubts whether people will be wearing glasses to play games at home," he said recently. We've also heard that the next handheld would have a "movement sensor" of some kind, so if Nintendo really has designed a head-tracking 3D solution, then maybe the console is ready to go. The press release, which you can read after the break in full, says we'll see more at E3, so stay tuned.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2010/03/23/nintendo-3ds-announced-will-be-revealed-at-e3/

Move over Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL. Nintendo has DS successor in the works and it’s going to be shown this year.

The Nintendo 3DS (tentative name) is a brand new handheld that supports 3D games you can play without any special glasses. Other details were not announced since Nintendo is saving the reveal for E3. However, there is a 3D game already out on the Nintendo DSi called Hidden 3D Pictures in Japan. The DSiWare title uses the camera for face tracking, which gives the illusion of depth..

Earlier this year, the Asahi Shimbun discussed the possibility of a motion sensor being part of a new Nintendo DS. The press release does not mention any motion sensing hardware.
    We had tentative information earlier in the year, but now it's official/confirmed.

Why in the 5th Gen Forum? Well, we've had talks about how this could or could not impact the new generation. Feel free to discuss.
    Last edited by V Faction; 25th March 2010 at 12:04 AM.
    V Faction: Bulbatized

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3136 - 6603 - 1330

Blazaking's Avatar Staff ArtistModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Blazaking On Twitter Add Blazaking on Google+
    Follow Blazaking on Tumblr Visit Blazaking's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Nintendo releases official annoucement of next handheld: "3DS"

I was so gonna post this first...

This sounds very interesting though. I can't wait to see some gameplay on it.

Have you guys seen the DSi game, it's really just a fancy Eye Spy game, but it uses the DSi camera to follow where your face is so you basically have a little world that you're looking into.

I want more of that, in this.

EDIT: here it is on Kotaku.

http://kotaku.com/5499712/is-this-how-3d-will-work-on-the-nintendo-3ds

Squeal as necessary.
    SoulSilver FC: 3782 1205 0348
    Platinum FC: 2879 5571 5372

I think instead of a quote, I might just start listing the number of people whose signatures contain quotes by me. My goal is to be in ALL OF THEM.

I imagine this would be the "big feature" you would get for putting Gen V into the 3DS, ala getting color for putting GSC into the Gameboy Color. Doubt it will extend beyond this, though of course the third version will be developed for the 3DS.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

In before "RS remakes will have May's boobs popping out at you".

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    I imagine this would be the "big feature" you would get for putting Gen V into the 3DS, ala getting color for putting GSC into the Gameboy Color. Doubt it will extend beyond this, though of course the third version will be developed for the 3DS.
    I knew this gen would go down as gen 2 would, all we need is Sinnoh being in and a psychotic Cyrus. OH, also distortion world in this type of 3D. Orgasm incoming!
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Blog Entries

Very exciting news. I can't wait to see the capabilities in action. I think this pretty much assures that there will be some kind of bonus/addition when playing the Gen V titles on this new hardware.
    I still can’t believe my dragons lost to you, Red! You’re now the Pokémon League champion! …Or, you would have been, but you have one more challenge ahead. You have to face another Trainer! His name is… Blue! He beat the Elite Four before you. He is the real Pokémon League champion! -Lance

追放されたバカ

welp i'm glad I didn't buy any of the DS upgrades and just stuck with my ol' DS Phat.

Sucks for anyone who just bought the XL, LOL

We're very concerned. Bittersweet's Avatar

Follow Bittersweet on Tumblr

Hopefully this 3D will be decent! The DS's 3D wasn't great, but hopefully this'll allow for a full 3D overworld, an angled camera and battles in SOME form of 3D... I'm very superficial when it comes to graphics...
    I wonder if they'll be another sidequest like the contests or Pokeathlons that utilise the new features...

Yes, that's really my neck The dark lord trombonator's Avatar Former Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief

Quote Originally Posted by TTEchidna View Post
    RS remakes will have.... damn.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bttsstewart View Post
    Hopefully this 3D will be decent! The DS's 3D wasn't great, but hopefully this'll allow for a full 3D overworld, an angled camera and battles in SOME form of 3D... I'm very superficial when it comes to graphics...
    I wonder if they'll be another sidequest like the contests or Pokeathlons that utilise the new features...
    Well you took 3D as in the graphics, they mean 3D with the glasses to make stuff pop out in front of you. Without the glasses of course, cause Nintendo can.

追放されたバカ

Quote Originally Posted by TTEchidna View Post

how would that work even

e: they're like A cups at the most.

e2: and she's like 10 years old

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk Abortions View Post

how would that work even

e: they're like A cups at the most.

e2: and she's like 10 years old
    Your sarcasm detector must have a few glitches.

Bulbapædist Quagbert's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff

3D without special glasses sounds interesting; I've always felt that 3D would be a gimmick - especially with TV and video games - as long as you needed those silly glasses.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quagbert View Post
    3D without special glasses sounds interesting; I've always felt that 3D would be a gimmick - especially with TV and video games - as long as you needed those silly glasses.
    That's the magic bout Nintendo. When something gets the gimmick label, they go to their magic labs and burn the label with with their mainstream flamethrowers and sell shitloads of their mainstream products. And then 3 years later with a raped market everyone follows through.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast