The Nintendo 3DS Feature Thread - Page 2

View Poll Results: Which new Nintendo 3DS feature are you looking forward to the most?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3D Gameplay

28 26.92%
  • StreetPass

25 24.04%
  • SpotPass

9 8.65%
  • Augmented Reality

9 8.65%
  • Gyroscope

4 3.85%
  • Improved Online Functionality

9 8.65%
  • Downloadable Content (DLC)

17 16.35%
  • Miiverse

3 2.88%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: The Nintendo 3DS Feature Thread

Default Re: Features and Game Mechanics Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Red Inferno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Okami Takahashi View Post
    Streetpass and Spotpass for Pokemon are a must have. Seeing Play Coins used would be neat, but what would they be used in? Minigames? Buying special items?

What about customizing your trainer's looks with hats, different hairstyles/colors, etc? That'd be a big step up. You could finally be your OC in a new region rather than fillling whatever name in the blank.
    Part of me feels like there will be some level of customization for your character right from the get-go. It's not much of anything, but the Male PC is looking into the mirror in his bedroom towards the beginning of the trailer. It makes me think that after you choose your gender/enter your name, you'll get the opportunity to choose your outfit. The trailer could have just used the outfits for the PC that will receive Sugimori artwork. Maybe the Play Coins could be used to buy additional pieces for the PC's wardrobe.
    Part of me agrees with you but the part of me who is a negative nancy thinks that this could be kind of the way to "introduce the players to the 3D world" kind of like "woah, this game is 3D" showing the character as the camera slowly moves up to reveal his full body is kind of a way to start off games and start of journeys. This is your character, this is the beginning of 3D. It's kind of hard for me to explain.
    But GF has been generous lately, so I'll support the idea of customization.

Default Re: The Nintendo 3DS Feature Thread

So here's how I see each of these features being used

3D Gameplay
    Much like many other 3DS games, these games will probably be just as playable in 2D mode, but the 3D will certainly add to the immersion. I for one, will be playing with it on. I can't wait to see all that gorgeous scenery in 3D.

StreetPass
    Lots of things, really. This almost seems to be made for Pokemon. Being able to battle other trainers that you've encountered would be the big one.

SpotPass
    Getting in-game mail from other players is one possibility. Can't really think of any others.

Augmented Reality
    Perhaps something along the lines of Pokemon Dream Radar, but in-game?

Gyroscope
    I'm going to echo Totophile's idea here, but expand it a little. Imagine using one of those, then you spot a Pokemon in an area where it isn't normally found, then you can go in that area and catch it. Would make a nice way to catch Pokemon that are normally unobtainable, like with swarms and Pokeradar.

Improved Online Functionality
    Not sure what this could improve. WPA encryption was supported in Gen 5, so the 3DS doesn't really add much, if anything in this area. I do like the idea of being able to have not having to re-register my friends for this game. Well, in this case I will, since most of them aren't registered as 3DS friends yet.

Pedometer and Play Coins (I forgot to add it to the poll >>
    Probably a special store where you can buy items with play coins. Yeah, character customization items are one possibility.

Downloadable Content (Although you could argue that Pokémon already had this with events).
    Techinically, we've had DLC since Red and Blue, but the 3DS's ability to patch games means no more event legendary spoilers.

Miiverse (Coming in the near future).
    Was it mentioned that 3DS games would have full Miiverse integration or would we just be able to access the Miiverse site from the 3DS? If the former, then I could see it asking us our thoughts on certain gym leaders, that way, we could check a sign in the gym and see what other players have had to say about the gym. I can think of a few other places where this could work.
    The_Doctor likes this.

Staff member at The PokéMasters (Forums - Facebook page)
    Joined April 5, 2005

Y am I this strong? Mega Uncle Edit Y's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would love to see the 3DS let you train Pokemon like the Pokewalker did. I found it disappointing that the generation-five games didn't support that device, so I hope they bring the concept back in the future. I want to raise Pokemon and receive Play Coins at the same time!
    I happen to be very interested about the different features in general. The 3DS has so many cool features to take advantage of, I am excited just thinking about the possibilities.
    The_Doctor likes this.

Breaking it down so I can give my two cents on all the things we could vote on:

3D Gameplay: This is what I'm most looking forward to. I've wanted a Pokemon game like this for ages now. I was mildly annoyed by sprites on a 3D world because it just looks weird to me. Seeing pokemon in three dimensions makes me extremely happy.

Street Pass: I don't care about this at all. I never take my 3DS out of my house.

Spot Pass: I actually had to look this up. I'm still not entirely sure how it's different from Street Pass so... I guess I don't care about it either?

Augmented Reality: I'd completely forgotten about AR Cards. I'd only like them if they were things that gave you free items or pokemon, though. If I could even find a place to buy the cards...

Gyroscope: Personally, I think this would be good in a Pokemon snap game... but since we will probably never have another game in that glorious vein maybe we could go on some kind of tour along with a Safari Zone like area. And we could just look around and take in the environment and try and spot pokemon.

Improved Online Functionality: I don't play the games online with others (since I don't like the meta game) so the online bits don't really mean much of anything to me unless it'll be something fun like the dream world, something I never got to use in black and white.

DLC: Unless it's free and I don't have to drive out somewhere to download it, I do not want ANY DLC in my pokemon games. It's bad enough I miss out on interesting content in my other games because I don't like the idea of spending real money on something I can't even hold in my hands. I don't want that bleeding into pokemon games. This is quite possibly the feature I'm looking forward to the least. Because it's just money grubbing for things that should have probably been put in the game from the get-go.

Miiverse: I really don't like Miis so I don't much care for this either.
    The_Doctor likes this.
    An IceFox who prefers fire types? That's... interesting.
    I'm more partial to blues and greens as well~

Here's another idea for the pedometer; use your steps IRL toward the step counter used to hatch eggs. You could put your 3DS in sleep mode and continue on your day. When you reawaken your system you'll be greeted by the egg hatching cutscene. I don't think it's too likely, but it would be a nice feature to have.
    Pokemon White FC: 0648 4815 7165
    Pokemon White 2 FC: 3869 6438 9106

It would be pretty cool facing the teams of real life people when you go through an in-game facility like the TWP, Battle Subway. Thanks

Last edited by zeeshan; 11th February 2013 at 02:27 AM.

Many of the ideas here are very nice, like battling people you meet on StreetPass, sort of the automatic equivalent of Mixing Records (OMG bring Secret Bases back again please). There would be some problems with leveling (a person just starting encountering a trainer who has beaten the E4); what would be best is if the game saved every team we have beaten a Gym Leader with and present the appropriate one depeding on which Badge the other person is on. You could even face the same trainer you randomly passed through once up to 9 times! There could be some sort of battling facilities in each city and stuff. The more I think about it, the cooler it sounds :D

As for AR, while I'm not a big fan of either it or the TCG, if they don't do any cross-promotion with the TCG to have AR Pokémon battles Kid Icarus-style, it'll be a missed opportunity.

Spotpass could be used for wi-fi events, you wouldn't even need to go and request them, they just come to you!

And of course, I hope that the ability of games to be patched leads to hidden event legendaries being actually hidden until official reveal, like some have already said.

And yeah, 3D, woo-hoo, I'm just more excited for the potential use of other features :D

aka the fireflies guy Vanillish Twilight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Vanillish Twilight on Tumblr

I just thought of something, what if they somehow used the camera feature for something in Pokemon? Like you can take pictures of your Pokemon and put it in photo albums like in HGSS with Cameron the photographer lol, except in 3D
    Berrenta likes this.

Visit Dralcax's Youtube Channel

Augumented Reality. When Pokemon evolve, they do so right in your living room. AWESOME!

It would be awesome to use Augmented Reality for Pokemon battles.

Registered User scrambled_togepi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

DLC is easily what I'm looking forward to most. I'd love to see the special edition version be turned into this. The special edition games have always been glorified DLC for the same price as the whole game. They could even re-release the games with the DLC on the game card as well. Either make the special edition DLC or a sequel like BW2. I never want to see a third version again.

The first thing I thought of when applying street pass to Pokemon was secret bases. It fits so perfectly. Just the idea brings a tear to my eye. Maybe that's a little much.

The announcement of X & Y have put me in such a good mood.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkIceFox View Post
    Spot Pass: I actually had to look this up. I'm still not entirely sure how it's different from Street Pass so... I guess I don't care about it either?
    Spot Pass downloads content from the internet to games automatically while the system is in sleep mode regardless of what game is on or in the system. Perfect for downloading events. Street Pass downloads content from nearby 3DS systems.

So, yeah. They are similar, but you don't have to bring your 3DS anywhere or hope you walk by someone else with a 3DS and the same game.
    Tentative pokemon Black team:

1.Oshawott; 2. Blitzel.; 3. Zorua; 4. Victini; 5. Deino; 6. Reshiram

If there's any non-free DLC for XY, I'm gonna rage. As long as all DLC is free, I'm happy.

I can't wait to fully experience the 3D environments, I bet they're amazing. And I'm looking forward to seeing how StreetPass and the pedometer will be used :D Also, I love the idea of the Mythical pokemon being added on later by SpotPass so that we don't know what they are before hand (like Joshawott said)

Here's another idea for the pedometer; use your steps IRL toward the step counter used to hatch eggs. You could put your 3DS in sleep mode and continue on your day. When you reawaken your system you'll be greeted by the egg hatching cutscene. I don't think it's too likely, but it would be a nice feature to have.
    Wow, that's an amazing idea. If that happens, I might start jogging. (By that, I mean that I like the idea of getting some exercise, but in reality, it's not gonna happen).
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 21st January 2013 at 09:48 PM.

~Love Is Hard To Define~ Midnight Blue's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm wondering if the mail system will be extended? If that has not been mentioned. The 3DS does have a mail type app but I'm wondering what could be done with it.

Visit Dralcax's Youtube Channel

Problem is: Busted games from fans strapping their 3DSs to cars, fan blades, vibrators, washing machines, etc. like they did to the Pokewalker. So yeah, no.
    harryheart likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dralcax View Post
    Problem is: Busted games from fans strapping their 3DSs to cars, fan blades, vibrators, washing machines, etc. like they did to the Pokewalker. So yeah, no.
    That's not a problem. Just don't be an idiot and your game will be fine (you as in everyone).

Not a game problem, a user problem.
    Red Inferno likes this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast