The Nintendo 3DS Feature Thread

View Poll Results: Which new Nintendo 3DS feature are you looking forward to the most?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3D Gameplay

28 26.92%
  • StreetPass

25 24.04%
  • SpotPass

9 8.65%
  • Augmented Reality

9 8.65%
  • Gyroscope

4 3.85%
  • Improved Online Functionality

9 8.65%
  • Downloadable Content (DLC)

17 16.35%
  • Miiverse

3 2.88%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: The Nintendo 3DS Feature Thread

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default The Nintendo 3DS Feature Thread

It's finally happened! A main series entry in the Pokémon franchise is launching for the Nintendo 3DS! As we all know, the 3DS has a lot of cool new features that the original DS didn't have. However, how do you think they'll be used? And which one are you most excited for?

For those new to the 3DS, the new features are:
    3D Gameplay
    StreetPass
    SpotPass
    Augmented Reality
    Gyroscope
    Improved Online Functionality
    Pedometer and Play Coins (I forgot to add it to the poll >>[/b]
    Downloadable Content (Although you could argue that Pokémon already had this with events).
    Miiverse (Coming in the near future).

Personally, I'm hoping for SpotPass to allow for Mythical Pokémon to exist without being initially programmed into the games. Meaning that they will actually be a surprise for once and their unveiling will be more than a formality. There are so many possible uses for StreetPass that I really can't decide on one - although the ability to have your Battle Box data sent to someone else's game for them to battle later on is probably my favourite (as well as possibly having Pokédex data of Pokémon a passerby has seen/caught being added to your Pokédex as "seen" is also cool). I also hope we can have online communities similar to Mario Kart 7 and that the online connection can determine who has disconnected in an online match (because DCers are a huge problem).
    Last edited by Joshawott; 31st December 2012 at 04:55 PM.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Default Features and Game Mechanics Speculation

Since the games are on the 3DS, it has unique features it can use for gameplay and such. Some of these features include:

Streetpass
    Spotpass
    Play Coins
    Pedometer
    DLC( potentially)

will edit this when I remember more ^^;

New Generations also often include new game mechanics and things can be overhauled, what do you think any new mechanics will be? How will the 3DS's features be used? Do you think any mechanics will be overhauled?

Discuss.

Default Re: Features and Game Mechanics Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Aquanova View Post
    Since the games are on the 3DS, it has unique features it can use for gameplay and such. Some of these features include:

Streetpass
    Spotpass
    Play Coins
    Pedometer
    DLC( potentially)

will edit this when I remember more ^^;

New Generations also often include new game mechanics and things can be overhauled, what do you think any new mechanics will be? How will the 3DS's features be used? Do you think any mechanics will be overhauled?

Discuss.
    Someone in another thread brought up the possibility of using Streetpass to populate some trainer facility if I remember correctly. It would be pretty cool facing the teams of real life people when you go through an in-game facility like the PWT, Battle Subway, or Frontier.

The pedometer could be used in a similar way to the Pokewalker, and DLC will likely be the WiFi legends we've received in the past. Maybe they'll get fleshed out events like Shaymin rather than Poke Postman pickups like Genesect.
    Pokemon White FC: 0648 4815 7165
    Pokemon White 2 FC: 3869 6438 9106

Gardevoir Enthusiast Okami Takahashi's Avatar
    Follow Okami Takahashi On Twitter
    Follow Okami Takahashi on Tumblr

Streetpass and Spotpass for Pokemon are a must have. Seeing Play Coins used would be neat, but what would they be used in? Minigames? Buying special items?

What about customizing your trainer's looks with hats, different hairstyles/colors, etc? That'd be a big step up. You could finally be your OC in a new region rather than fillling whatever name in the blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Okami Takahashi View Post
    Streetpass and Spotpass for Pokemon are a must have. Seeing Play Coins used would be neat, but what would they be used in? Minigames? Buying special items?

What about customizing your trainer's looks with hats, different hairstyles/colors, etc? That'd be a big step up. You could finally be your OC in a new region rather than fillling whatever name in the blank.
    Part of me feels like there will be some level of customization for your character right from the get-go. It's not much of anything, but the Male PC is looking into the mirror in his bedroom towards the beginning of the trailer. It makes me think that after you choose your gender/enter your name, you'll get the opportunity to choose your outfit. The trailer could have just used the outfits for the PC that will receive Sugimori artwork. Maybe the Play Coins could be used to buy additional pieces for the PC's wardrobe.
    Pokemon White FC: 0648 4815 7165
    Pokemon White 2 FC: 3869 6438 9106

Gardevoir Enthusiast Okami Takahashi's Avatar
    Follow Okami Takahashi On Twitter
    Follow Okami Takahashi on Tumblr

Oh, now there's an idea there. I like the sound of that.

I was surprised to see the sunglasses on the male protag's hat.

Oh, for accessories, what about changing what sort of bag you use?

Blog Entries

Any customisation would be nice for me, even just choosing hair color, eye color and perhaps clothing color or a few wardrobe choices.

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

I also want alternate costumes, this would be great, and DLC also brings up potential story upgrades even after the main story is done.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Nintendo 3DS Feature Thread

Well, since I'm not familiar with most of the features of the 3DS, I gotta say that the 3D gameplay is the most exciting feature!

This is the stuff of legends! I've dreamed of a main series game like this for soooooo long! And from what we've seen so far, these games could be compared to a console-type battle game (like Stadium, Battle Revolution, etc.).

So yeah, I'm totally stoked about this!

Blog Entries

When watching the trailer, the protagonist is in a room with a mirror, and overall the room looks quite empty. if this is his/her bedroom, maybe throughout the journey we come across items we can decorate our room with. And maybe we trade items with other people or download items to decorate our room with. I'm up for a little customization

however that thing behind the player doesn't look like a bed. but either way decorating our rooms again would be nice, empty or not.

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

Streetpass secret base battles. Make it happen Game Freak.

Like what joshawott said, I'm really expecting, and actually hoping for dlc Pokemon. Especially since the 3ds is designed to be online moreso than the DS line anyway. I see it being set up as a software update to where during a certain period of time you unlock the data and get the Pokemon and after the event is over you'd just get the data. Its pretty common for console games to lock you out of online activities without the current update so that wouldn't be an issue. Local trading would still have to present an error message or something with two different software versions. But I really really really like the idea of having event Pokemon actually revealed at the time of release instead of knowing exactly what they are as soon as the games are released and the coding is dumped. Also, dlc doesn't have to mean paid dlc. Pokemon would never do that for event legends. Maybe for extra areas of the region to explore, but not for Pokemon.

Streetpass
    I've always tried to make my Trainer Card neat and fancy for no one to see it.Now I can swap trainer cards via streetpass! This'll be awesome, learning about other random trainers, and maybe they'll make it so we can register people we meet on our Pal Pads. Also, what if we get a GTS-Streetpass edition. You gain info on what kind of pokémon they are looking for on the GTS and you can help 'em out.

DLC
    Maybe GF will go out of their way to hide certain pokémon from websites like Serebii so we won't actually know how many pokémon there are until they are released as DLC. In addition, this will give GF a way to add on to the story after the main story.

Gyroscope
    I envision a similar mechanic to Super Mario 3D Land, with several areas where you can gaze upon the beauty of the 3D world using your gyroscope to look around and captute the feeling of sightseeing. Maybe like the lighthouse in DPP, but, you know, 100X better.

Argumented Reality
    The little girl inside me wants to make it like in KH3D where you can virtually play with your pokémon in an AR world. Too much? Really though, printing out cards for each and every pokémon to have them pop out is kind of annoying, maybe this way we can have AR in a more fun way.

Play Coins
    Gambling is about to get real.
    But in all seriousness, maybe it'll be used to upgrade or unlock different styles for your "random cool device" of the game. You have to think of why play coins would be used instead of regular pokedollars. Wait-pokédex information? Mmm, a little Farfetch'd.

Spotpass
    I got nothin. Maybe a more improves way to get legendaries? Idk.

Oh and pedometor, while XY is on if you are walking increases pokémon happiness. Like the pokéwalker, but into the system now.
    Berrenta likes this.

Blog Entries

Pedometer:

Id like to see an app that is like the Pokewalker and Dream World combined that makes use of the pedometer. You could capture Pokemon with Dream World abilities and find items and it would be portable, no need to be stuck at a computer.

Streetpass:
    Exchange friendcodes immediately and have them added to your pal pad

Spotpass:

Immediately download any content and Pokemon from events.

DLC:

There could be some DLC areas in the game and Pokemon could be added to the game using this. They should hide the event Pokemon and just release them via DLC when they are ready to release them, as it would make them truly a secret again. It would be a good way to add new content and they wouldnt have to release new games as fast, they could stretch it out a bit with new content and Pokemon

I forgot about 3D, which is a big thing. I would really like to see an area with snow year round, since Sinnoh is the only place with a real snow area. Think about the falling snowflakes popping out of the screen. Imagine being in a dusty area and the dust storm makes your screen hard to see. We could see a puzzle like area where you can't see an alternate path unless the 3D is off or vice versa. And of course, the result of the evil team's plan ends with an amazing 3D cutscene involving the legendary (unless they take the RBYGSC route).

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast