New type?

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New type?

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

Default New type?

So, there was some speculation a while back that the metagame was a bit unbalanced, and that a new type could potentially take care of this by balancing out some of the more overpowered types currently.

So...ideally, what kind of type do you think should be added, what should its strengths and weaknesses be, and how would that type work thematically?
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

Default Re: New type?

Don't want any. Too many ingredients spoils the batch, or something.
    V Faction: Bulbatized

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3136 - 6603 - 1330

Blog Entries

I'd like to see a light type:

Strong against: Dark, Psychic, and Water
    Weak against: Grass, Ground, and Steel

Vintage Sketch's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

I think the type chart is fine as it is... the only thing needed to balance things out is probably more type combinations... and less water types.

Well, there's the obvious ones that have been around forever, like Light and Sonic (my own names for them, I'm sure there are others). There could also be a separate Wind type separate from Flying, and potentially an Acid type split off from Poison.

[/my own crack theories]

I do think that just a rebalancing of the chart could fix the issues too, though. But why not add new types? I don't think even 20 would be too many.

Blog Entries

Visit Frost's Youtube Channel

I don't want any new types. I'd much prefer to them to fix all of the problems that exist in the CURRENT type chart before adding any new ones into the mix. Steel needs to be nerfed badly, Poison needs to be buffed desperately, etc. And I've always been completely against a Light-type since people only seem to want one as a counterpart to a type that's known as Evil-type in Japan.
    Co-admin at PsyPoke.

Where a large electronic talking Charmander looks at me from beside the computer...

No new types. Just rebalance the ones we already have by making Water weak to Poison, remove a type or two's Grass resistance, give Ice two/three more resistances, and so on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZoraJolteon View Post
    Just rebalance the ones we already have by making Water weak to Poison,
    This. This SO MUCH.

That would be my first change to the existing type chart, easily. Water has two actual weaknesses (and every frigging Water-type can learn Ice Beam, so that kind of dilutes the Grass weak) while Poison is a pathetic offensive type. Poison SE against Water fixes both.
    Pink Panzer likes this.
    Co-admin at PsyPoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    And I've always been completely against a Light-type since people only seem to want one as a counterpart to a type that's known as Evil-type in Japan.
    It's not just as an opposition to Dark/Aku; there are lots of light-based attacks (Light Screen, Solarbeam, Flash Cannon) in the game already that right now are represented by other types, and it's the same with sound-based attacks. That's why those two potential types have been speculated about for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
    So, there was some speculation a while back that the metagame was a bit unbalanced, and that a new type could potentially take care of this by balancing out some of the more overpowered types currently.

So...ideally, what kind of type do you think should be added, what should its strengths and weaknesses be, and how would that type work thematically?
    I think in order to make assumptions like that we'ld have to really take a look at all the types and find out which ones were unbalanced. Only then could we really say "Okay this and this and that are unbalanced so what do we add to balance this stuff out?"

I wouldn't want a new type, and I don't think the current ones are unbalanced.

Most Pokemon are dual types, and with moves, stats, and such, balance comes. I mean, tiers do apply in Pokemon, but they don't always absolutely matter. I'd say that we need more dual types (hell, there can be 225 type combinations, plus the 15 single types, 240!), and more better movesets on Pokemon that are weaker due to their types or stats. Like Nidoking! :D

Blog Entries

Follow revolvingscott on Tumblr

I don't like the idea of any new types. Make the type chart more logical. Why is Steel resistant to water??

Blog Entries

All of those light-based attacks would have to change types between Generations and that's something that Gamefreak has NEVER done, though. And then they'd likely have to introduce new attacks to replace the ones that changed types, like a new Solarbeam that isn't actually Solarbeam.

A lot of the light-based attacks are also Psychic-type attacks (Light Screen, Mirror Coat, Reflect, Barrier, etc.) so I really think that Psychic is supposed to be our "Light"-type.

revolvingscott, Steel doesn't resist Water; it takes neutral damage. Water actually resists Steel.
    Co-admin at PsyPoke.

After the huge change last gen, I'm willing to bet the gloves are off and anything can go this time.

However, I'm still a stubborn stick in the mud and feel that the weaknesses/resistances chart has the higher percentage to not change in anyway. It is the brick wall and the tiny "Plastic Spork of Change" shall break upon contact with its mighty sturdiness.
    V Faction: Bulbatized

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3136 - 6603 - 1330

All of those light-based attacks would have to change types between Generations and that's something that Gamefreak has NEVER done, though. And then they'd likely have to introduce new attacks to replace the ones that changed types, like a new Solarbeam that isn't actually Solarbeam.
    Two words: Bite and Gust. Both were originally Normal in Gen. I. I think there were a couple of others too.

A lot of the light-based attacks are also Psychic-type attacks (Light Screen, Mirror Coat, Reflect, Barrier, etc.) so I really think that Psychic is supposed to be our "Light"-type.
    Except it's ineffective against Dark, which makes no sense at all if that's true.

And as much as I like Poison, making Water weak to it makes even less sense than all the other random weaknesses. I'm in favor of rebalancing the type chart in order to resolve logic fail as much as to balance the game.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast