New Battle Styles - Page 6

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: New Battle Styles

Default Re: New Battle Styles

Quote Originally Posted by Stratelier View Post
    It's interesting to note that a 5-on-1 battle is functionally just a triple battle with your Pokemon in the center position and two of your ally spots occupied by enemy Pokemon. Thus, you can hit all five opponents with a single move if you need to. The placement of the wild Pokemons' HP meters even suggests this.
    When was that confirmed?
    Akromatic likes this.
    Pearl FC: 0689 8559 2961
    Platinum FC: 3868 1384 3198
    SoulSilver FC: 2021 2908 5745
    Black 2 FC: 4170 2700 6717

My shop!

My Dodrio is going to take anyone down in sky battles.
    Horde battles seem awesome
    Phoenixon likes this.

Lick...Lick...Lick :P ShinyRiolu's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by League View Post
    I think this should and would be (as regards the first two criterion) the criterion order to being able to enter into Sky Battle: a) Pokemon is Flying type; b) Pokemon has Levitate ability; c) Pokemon holds an Air Balloon; d) Pokemon knows Fly; e) Pokemon can learn Fly; f) Pokemon can ostensibly fly; g) Pokemon ostensibly levitates; h) Pokemon knows Magnet Rise; i) Pokemon can learn Magnet Rise.

Perhaps you only have to be off the ground to enter into battle, or, perhaps this state must be maintained. In the latter case, freezing Sky Shaymin would eliminate it from battle (Sky Shaymin is a presumable legitimate entrant), and popping its Air Balloon would eliminate (theoretical entrant) Ampharos. If you could neutralize the ability of a Levitate pokemon (as perhaps with Worry Seed), you could cause it to crash to the ground. Knock Down would be the strongest move in the necessary-maintenance paradigm.

The Magnet Rise pokemon could enter into battle with the attack/ability active. They could perpetually levitate, or they could have a limited or decreasing time in battle (either they would have to faint, be switched out, or [re]use Magnet Rise if so allowed).

Gravity might be an illegal move. Or, perhaps, all Sky Battle entrants could have a battle-immunity to Ground. (Gravity would still have accuracy-altering effects.) All Ground moves could be illegal (or battle-hidden) moves. All Ground-like moves could be illegal moves. All grounding moves could be illegal moves.

All Pokemon could be treated as if they were "high up in the air" as if they had used Fly, for moves Thunder, Sky Uppercut, and like.

Sky Battles could have special field effects, altering accuracy, mover power, occasional effects, etc.

I think that's about all the realm of possibility.
    lol, SO many criteria and unknowns... Too bad I think GameFreak will go the easy route and stick with Flying/Levitate and we suck it up...

Quote Originally Posted by FroztyJake View Post
    lol, flightless birds in sky battles
    Phoenixon likes this.

Follow Spectacular Snivy On Twitter Add Spectacular Snivy on Google+
    Visit Spectacular Snivy's Youtube Channel

No, a 5 to 1 is horrible.

I HATE MYSELF!

Scandal In The Firenation Akira Bond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Akira Bond on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Spectacular Snivy View Post
    It's a challenge. A challenge I can't wait to experience myself. It also feels more realistic having horde battles.

My Dragonite is also looking forward to winning sky battles.
    Reila likes this.

Look at the Pokemon levels in the screenshots; it seems Horde battles involve weaker-than-average wild Pokemon to compensate for the fact that you can be hit five times per turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugiafanatic View Post
    It's interesting to note that a 5-on-1 battle is functionally just a triple battle with your Pokemon in the center position and two of your ally spots occupied by enemy Pokemon. Thus, you can hit all five opponents with a single move if you need to. The placement of the wild Pokemons' HP meters even suggests this.
    When was that confirmed?
    No, it's just a hypothesis. How else would you knock out all five opponents at the same time using a move that only strikes "adjacent opponents" ?

Blog Entries

What I don't understand is, when wild Pokemon try to attack you in pairs, you retaliate in pairs...but when they try to attack you in a group of five, you only send out one Pokemon?

Nice weather we're having SirOni's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maybe Horde Battles aren't something you encounter but instead something you initiate.
    Caro: 0774-4484-9102

IGN: Antonio

URPG:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f401/cerony-urpg-66373/

By doing what, kicking a Poochyena or something?
    SirOni, Team Gaara and Phoenixon like this.

Blog Entries
    Follow Noivern On Twitter

Can a Pokémon Trainer be ever caught off-guard somehow, to the point of only getting one sent out? (Think of the first Pokémon as the "on hand").

(Speaking of getting caught off-guard, I'd like to see special "first round" situations where a side gets a free round. Woe befalls anyone who gets ambushed by a horde of Pokémon...)
    Hey, it's Noivern here. I like Noivern a lot. I like Katy Perry. I want a Hydreigon plushie. Also, I'm a total PC geek.
    Links

Look at the Pokemon levels in the screenshots; it seems Horde battles involve weaker-than-average wild Pokemon to compensate for the fact that you can be hit five times per turn.

When was that confirmed?
    No, it's just a hypothesis. How else would you knock out all five opponents at the same time using a move that only strikes "adjacent opponents" ?
    Perhaps they changed what pokemon that move hits for horde battles.
    Pearl FC: 0689 8559 2961
    Platinum FC: 3868 1384 3198
    SoulSilver FC: 2021 2908 5745
    Black 2 FC: 4170 2700 6717

My shop!

Pokémons that aren't flying type, that doesn't have Levitate ability but can knows Fly will be also able to go on Sky Battles, as Volcarona.

It would be cool if there are different levels of Sky Battle.

The level one could have all kinds of flying pokémon and some levitating-without-levitate like Beldum and Cotonee

In the level five, some pokemons are banned (because it takes place in a higher altitude) but evolved levitating monsters like Metagross and Magnezone can enter.

In the level ten, only flying and evolved pokémon can compete. Legendaries like Rayquaza and Deoxys are only allowed in this category.

Quote Originally Posted by Noivern View Post
    (Speaking of getting caught off-guard, I'd like to see special "first round" situations where a side gets a free round. Woe befalls anyone who gets ambushed by a horde of Pokémon...)
    Pokemon is about the only RPG series to lack a "pre-emptive strike" feature, but I don't see how it even needs one.

Perhaps they changed what pokemon that move hits for horde battles.
    If I'm right they don't even have to. If your center Pokemon were to use Surf or Earthquake in a triple battle, it's already adjacent to five others so of course it will hit everything (types and abilities notwithstanding).

Which conveniently supports why Horde battles are five-on-one: If you sent out two or three, there would be more than six simultaneous Pokemon on the field, which takes a bit more work to implement than simply tweaking it so that the spots for your neighbors are instead occupied by wild Pokemon.

The real proof, though, is what happens if a wild Pokemon on the edge of the horde uses something like a Selfdestruct. How many Pokemon does it hit? Going by triple battle analogy, if either Pokemon on e.g. the right side do, it will hit all but the two wild Pokemon on the left.

Blog Entries

Follow pastabender on Tumblr

I started posting this in the Smash thread in response to the comments there, but I thought I'd bring it here to keep that on topic.

I don't think it's going to be possible to run into a horde of any Pokemon anywhere. I think there'll be only a few aka Houndour, Zubat in certain routes as well, with maybe a warning on the route sign or something.

Dittos aren't going to happen, nor anything I don't think above a first stage evolution (apart from 1/5 like the Golbat shown in the Zubat horde on Smash). Then again, places like Victory Road could very well feature hordes of stronger pokemon, but I'm not sure I see that happening.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast