New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger - Page 7

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

Blog Entries

Default Re: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

Masuda specifically saying that Pokémon will become 'even more powerful' based on this 'bond' leads me to believe that this isn't just fluff about Trainers and Pokémon trusting each other, but rather something more substantial.

I think that there may be a separate system of 'bonds' implemented -- like, perhaps your bond is just this long bar on the status page for each Pokémon you have, eventually filling up as you travel and battle together, and, as it fills up, your Pokémon's stats get ramped up a bit, or other bonuses are put in place for them. Since there is apparently some sort of compatibility with Gen V, I thought at first that the happiness system would've been built upon further in compliance with this system, but I realised that you can stick in a bond bar just as well once the Gen V Pokémon were transferred -- similarly to trading between DPPt and HGSS, wherein your Pokémon would get Pokéathlon stats that were apparently never there before.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    Masuda specifically saying that Pokémon will become 'even more powerful' based on this 'bond' leads me to believe that this isn't just fluff about Trainers and Pokémon trusting each other, but rather something more substantial.

I think that there may be a separate system of 'bonds' implemented -- like, perhaps your bond is just this long bar on the status page for each Pokémon you have, eventually filling up as you travel and battle together, and, as it fills up, your Pokémon's stats get ramped up a bit, or other bonuses are put in place for them. Since there is apparently some sort of compatibility with Gen V, I thought at first that the happiness system would've been built upon further in compliance with this system, but I realised that you can stick in a bond bar just as well once the Gen V Pokémon were transferred -- similarly to trading between DPPt and HGSS, wherein your Pokémon would get Pokéathlon stats that were apparently never there before.
    If its that literal a change, and its basically a way to net bonuses for Pokemon, I wonder if they could integrate the HM into it. Like if you have a flying Pokemon, once it trusts you enough, it can eventually start to fly you around the region, or for water Pokemon they can start to trustingly swim with you on their back. Hell, anything that can get rid of HM's and be coupled with this is a good thing, and hopefully it happens.
    The_Doctor, SirOni and Ninja-Mage like this.
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chespin View Post
    If its that literal a change, and its basically a way to net bonuses for Pokemon, I wonder if they could integrate the HM into it. Like if you have a flying Pokemon, once it trusts you enough, it can eventually start to fly you around the region, or for water Pokemon they can start to trustingly swim with you on their back. Hell, anything that can get rid of HM's and be coupled with this is a good thing, and hopefully it happens.
    Yes, anything to get rid of redundant HMs. Learning a flying Pokemon Fly or a Water-type Surf is probably the most useless aspects of HMs, because these Pokemon already knows how to fly and surf. They are freaking made to fly and surf, no need to teach them a move to do that.

I like the idea of a growing bond between you and your Pokemon and having HMs being worked into that. You can't fly or surf until you've build up a strong enough relationship.
    Zeta likes this.

Claims: Dialga | Multitype | Judgment | Adamant Orb | Draco Plate

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Angela-Samshi View Post
    Yes, anything to get rid of redundant HMs. Learning a flying Pokemon Fly or a Water-type Surf is probably the most useless aspects of HMs, because these Pokemon already knows how to fly and surf. They are freaking made to fly and surf, no need to teach them a move to do that.

I like the idea of a growing bond between you and your Pokemon and having HMs being worked into that. You can't fly or surf until you've build up a strong enough relationship.
    Exactly the reason why I mentioned HM's. You have Pokemon that fly and surf by nature, but god forbid your gonna use that to fly and surf yourself. Its a travesty especially this gen when the gyms aren't even HM usage points anymore, and they still need to be used.(B2W2 being the major offender)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Warrior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    Um... hello? Triple and Rotation battles should probably count as an addition to battling. Gen V did its fair share.
    Those are just new types of battles. I'm talking about changes in the battle structure such as the Special stat split to Special Attack and Special Defense in Gen. II, the introduction of abilities in Gen. III and the Physical and Special split in Gen. IV.
    Sure, it didn't really add any mechanics or structures in battles, but it introduced 2 new types of battles and vastly improved all of the other aspects of battles that already existed with some good fine tuning and additions. I wouldn't complain about that.

I hope they mean something like increasing some Pokémons' base stats. Many of them are very useless.

Blog Entries

So here's an interesting line from Colress, something you only hear from him once, only during your second rematch at the Plasma Frigate in P2 lab. Usually they give you a different line for the first rematch only, but to give you one in the second rematch but not any subsequent one? Kind of interesting.

"Even the same Pokémon can exhibit different strengths depending on the Trainer! It's so interesting! Very, very interesting!"
    I had speculated that if trainer customization exists, it would affect what the "bond" influences on the trainer's Pokemon...or at least if you got to choose a trainer class, it would influence it.

Let's all take into consideration that Gen V ended with a villain who wanted to unleash the full potential of Pokemon, and let the main character move forward because he wanted to see whether a Pokemon's true power is unleashed when they are with trainers rather than on their own.
    SirOni and VriskaSerket like this.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

If trainer rank starts affecting pokemon stats, then I'd be happier then a peach. We could even gain a boost for beating the league, and perhaps even the gym level restraints for traded Pokemon will be for all Pokemon.

Blog Entries

and perhaps even the gym level restraints for traded Pokemon will be for all Pokemon.
    That would be redundant as as it would affect everyone. It would also be random seeing as we've had gym badges since the very beginning. Unless you mean just level restrictions, in which case it would be unfair to players who actually put more effort into building their team.

Registered User Typhlosionisafirebadger's Avatar

stronger pokemon

hellz yeah

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    and perhaps even the gym level restraints for traded Pokemon will be for all Pokemon.
    That would be redundant as as it would affect everyone. It would also be random seeing as we've had gym badges since the very beginning. Unless you mean just level restrictions, in which case it would be unfair to players who actually put more effort into building their team.
    Just level restrictions. I don't see how it would effect anyone, as to be honest it wouldn't be too restrictive. I mean come on, if the gym level restraint for the first gym is at say level 15, would it be unfair even to team builders? I just can't see people going out of their way to have Pokemon over level 15 besides the starter that early in the game. Not to mention it would also be a good way for the E4 to have high levels, as a minimum level cap could be introduced for them.

I'm not sure if this would be doable, but something similar to near-death/fainting evolution from the anime would be nice, perhaps, with recovery to one-third health.
    Reila and The_Doctor like this.
    Friend codes:
    Pearl: 0175 5074 1601
    HeartGold: TBA
    White: TBA

Blog Entries

I'm hoping for raisable IV's it just has to be it. It such a dumb gameplay mechanic it pains me
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

I'm all for ending redundant HM's, but..not having access to Surf or Fly anymore in battle would be odd.Yes, I'm one of those people that relies on those 2 a lot. Then again...if they ever would implement a 5-move system, or at least have a slot for a special battle command, stuff like Surf or Fly would be it.
    hopeandjoy likes this.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here's my idea for the Bond System...based off ideas I've seen around the net mixed in with my own ideas.

First off, every Pokemon you own would have a "Bond Bar" viewable on a status screen which would basically be the new Happiness Stat, except now viewable. I liked that one idea about viewing them inside their Pokeballs, and perhaps communicating with them (as the idea of a Pokemon translator has popped up in Devon Corp. in Gen III, the same place the idea of viewing dreams appeared, and I believe someone in BW2 mentions it as well?), so, like, there'd be a 3D display of them, and you could move the 3DS around to kind of play with them, and view little notes on how they feel about you, like the "talk" feature in HGSS. They'd sometimes give you gifts and such too.

Anyway, this time, every Pokemon would begin with 0 Happiness, but different species would have different bonding speeds...like, Pikachu would have a faster one than, say, Primeape. The Bond Bar would remain the same if you evolved them. As you battle with them, give them vitamins, etc., the Bond Bar fills up over time. Pokemon that evolve based on Happiness would now have individual Bond Level Evolutions, like weaker ones like Pichu, Cleffa, and Igglybuff could evolve at around 25%, Eevee would evolve into the stronger Espeon and Umbreon at 50%, etc. The Bond Bar can also drop if they're fainted for too long, eat something bitter, etc.

The higher the Bond Bar, the more EXP. the Pokemon gains after battle, which would help them get stronger quicker. They'd also give you better gifts when it's higher as well. When they max out the Bond Bar, I was thinking they could perhaps gain a special "boost" to their stats as long as the Bond Bar is maxed out. Nothing extreme, but a few points added to each stat. Of course, this could be disabled for competitive play.

Apart from Bonding Trainer and Pokemon, a bigger feature would be Bond Links between two Pokemon. Basically, outside of battle, you can link any two Pokemon together, and they establish a Bond. In Single Battles, even though only one Pokemon is out, the other Pokemon they're linked to "assists" them on occasion. Every time one of the Pokemon win a fight, their bond grows closer.

* Support Abilities: Apart from their own Abilities, each Species would have one unique "Support Ability" which would help the Pokemon they're linked to that's currently battling. Some Abilities activate automatically, some activate by chance (and the chance would raise based on Bond Level). For example, a Flying-Pokemon could have a "Lift" ability which grants their partner immunity from Ground-based attacks. Or, a Pokemon could have a "Block" ability, where on occasion they take the force of the attack for their partner.

*Stats Boosts: As the Bond Level increases, the Pokemon give each other small stat boosts. I was thinking at 25%, 50%, and 75% they give their partners stat bonuses, based on their third, second, and then first strongest stat, perhaps calculated based on their Base Stats.

*Breeding Bonuses: You can link male/male, female/female, or male/female, and of course non-gendered Pokemon as well, but when linking two compatible breeding partners, their offspring will have better IV chances if they're bred with a higher Bond.

*Bond Strike: When Pokemon reach 100%, their Bond is established and they gain access to a Bond Strike Bar...it fills up whenever one of them is in battle, and, when filled, the trainer can initiate a Bond Strike, which allows them to choose an attack of the Pokemon currently out, then an attack of their Bond partner. The first one attacks when their turn occurs, then they switch in the same turn to the other Pokemon, who attacks once more with their attack. The Bond Strike Bar would empty after each match, and wouldn't fill too fast, so it would be sort of a "last-resort" option when facing strong bosses. Of course, the CPU could do it too, with some of the tougher trainers strategically bonding Pokemon to use against you.

The Bonding System between Pokemon would not occur in Double or Triple Battles, as in that situation Pokemon are already supporting each other. However, if you use Pokemon who are Linked in a Double Match together, their Bond Bar will get a boost.

In Player vs. Player matches, you can play classic, or play with the Bond System on, adding a new realm of strategy as players will want to find good combinations based on stat bonuses and support abilities.

Anyway, only two Pokemon can be Bonded Together at once and, if you want to Bond them with another Pokemon, their Bond will break and you'll have to re-bond them. However, it won't be a grueling task to accomplish.

I'm thinking Sylveon could evolve through this method...you simply have to get it Bonded 100% with another Pokemon and it'd evolve. Perhaps there could be other Pokemon who evolve through this method when bonding with a certain Pokemon.
    Silktree likes this.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast