New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger - Page 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

Default Re: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

Quote Originally Posted by d.aisuke View Post
    Right now, the biggest problem in Pokemon strength is that BST is ultimately what determines a Pokemon's power. Moveset, nature and strategy aside; it's close to impossible to best a 600 BST pokemon with... Rattata.
    A mechanic that puts Pokemon on a level playing field would be ideal. Say this new mechanic lowers/raises a Pokemons raw power so that they are within a certain degree of each other.
    I disagree, a Ratata (unless you get lucky with FEAR) should really not be able to compete with the big guys. A little rat shouldn't be able to do that, even when trained by a trainer. Some pokémon are specifically designed to be weaker than others, and I don't see any reason to why this shouldn't stay the same. In nature, usually weak creatures make up for it by swelling their numbers to increase odds of survival. Each one is pretty weak, but they're strong en masse.

Not every pokémon were designed to be able to compete with everyone else, and I for one am perfectly fine with that, even if that make some of the pokémon I find cool a bit more useless.

Back on topic, I think part of the battling system is overdue for some changes. I felt that BW (and the sequel, but mostly the first) were disappointing when it came to trainer-pokémon-relations. Seeing how you could do pretty much everything and it wouldn't really matter anyways didn't exactly give me a feeling that anything you did actually mattered. Maybe now they'll actually manage something.

Though I wouldn't get my hopes up in that department just yet.

One might say this is the nature of Pokemon. Not every single creature can be battle-worthy. The bad ones are there to make the good ones look good, but even the supposed "bad" Pokemon have admirers. Variety is the true essence of Pokemon.

That being said, I do enjoy surprises.
    V Faction: Bulbatized

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3136 - 6603 - 1330

The Power of Electricity Jolty94's Avatar
    Follow Jolty94 On Twitter Add Jolty94 on Facebook

I personally think it will be something small and neat added into the Battle Mechanics, I believe they will just vamp up the Happiness mechanics... Like it will be harder to have a Pokémon in your Party with full happiness, until overcoming a lot of goals/obstacles... I don't mean to be a bore but in the past, evolving Golbat into Crobat wasn't a difficult task for me.

I just hope it isn't something too drastic that could affect the previous games compatibility.
    N is finished yet.

Quote Originally Posted by H-con View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by d.aisuke View Post
    Right now, the biggest problem in Pokemon strength is that BST is ultimately what determines a Pokemon's power. Moveset, nature and strategy aside; it's close to impossible to best a 600 BST pokemon with... Rattata.
    A mechanic that puts Pokemon on a level playing field would be ideal. Say this new mechanic lowers/raises a Pokemons raw power so that they are within a certain degree of each other.
    I disagree, a Ratata (unless you get lucky with FEAR) should really not be able to compete with the big guys. A little rat shouldn't be able to do that, even when trained by a trainer. Some pokémon are specifically designed to be weaker than others, and I don't see any reason to why this shouldn't stay the same. In nature, usually weak creatures make up for it by swelling their numbers to increase odds of survival. Each one is pretty weak, but they're strong en masse.

Not every pokémon were designed to be able to compete with everyone else, and I for one am perfectly fine with that, even if that make some of the pokémon I find cool a bit more useless.

Back on topic, I think part of the battling system is overdue for some changes. I felt that BW (and the sequel, but mostly the first) were disappointing when it came to trainer-pokémon-relations. Seeing how you could do pretty much everything and it wouldn't really matter anyways didn't exactly give me a feeling that anything you did actually mattered. Maybe now they'll actually manage something.

Though I wouldn't get my hopes up in that department just yet.
    I definitely don't agree with the idea of putting the likes of Rattata (or rather, Raticate) on par stat-wise with legendaries and such, that's just nonsensical, but it wouldn't hurt to rebalance the base stats of some mons slightly in order to make better use of the rather LARGE pool of mons that never get touched because of their "inferiority". The metagame is getting stale because of this. Though if you look at my earlier post, my idea of introducing a new fondness ability mechanic or something similar would do a lot to mix up the metagame, and possibly eliminate the need for EXTREME GENE SPLICING in order to get the "perfect" mon, since there would be less of such a thing in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolty94 View Post
    I personally think it will be something small and neat added into the Battle Mechanics, I believe they will just vamp up the Happiness mechanics... Like it will be harder to have a Pokémon in your Party with full happiness, until overcoming a lot of goals/obstacles... I don't mean to be a bore but in the past, evolving Golbat into Crobat wasn't a difficult task for me.

I just hope it isn't something too drastic that could affect the previous games compatibility.
    We are going to end up with alot of high level Eevees.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Angela-Samshi View Post
    If it has to do with friendship, then I guess I could be an effort to make trainers and Pokemon get a closer connection in-game, and encourage people to use and train the Pokemon they get in a trade. Since friendship resets to 0 when traded, people have to actually travel with it/use it to make it stronger.

HEH, I can already see people who wants quick PokeGen'd Pokemon being annoyed with that.
    In Pokegen, it is possible to modify the "friendship", so I don't see it affecting hackers by any means. If training becomes harder in gen 6, it will be the "legit" trainers who will be having problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Clowncrete View Post
    If it has to do with friendship, then I guess I could be an effort to make trainers and Pokemon get a closer connection in-game, and encourage people to use and train the Pokemon they get in a trade. Since friendship resets to 0 when traded, people have to actually travel with it/use it to make it stronger.

HEH, I can already see people who wants quick PokeGen'd Pokemon being annoyed with that.
    In Pokegen, it is possible to modify the "friendship", so I don't see it affecting hackers by any means. If training becomes harder in gen 6, it will be the "legit" trainers who will be having problems.
    Ah, you're right. Forgot about that. I use PokeGen myself so I should've known, haha.

Claims: Dialga | Multitype | Judgment | Adamant Orb | Draco Plate

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Hmm this could be interesting. Happiness could be the focus, but hopefully its not made into a stat, first evasiveness needs to be turned into one damn it. However I would like it if happiness had a bar of sorts in every Pokemon's stat pages, and the higher it goes the new stuff comes from it. I love the idea some suggested of perhaps natures taken into account, but what about abilities? What I mean is something like Dragon Quest 8, but on a more fundamental level, where every Pokemon has a dormant ability that is awakened by the bonds with the trainer? Some would be nature boosting, some would be like giving Pokemon access to both their abilities, sounds broken but I would love to see something like that, or even rudimentary stuff like making HM's a more instinctive basic ability and not a move.

Blog Entries

With the apparent genetics theme, I can see IVs and maybe Natures getting some sort of overhaul, though obviously it still has to be compatible with the previous games... The best I can think of is a way to change IVs after you've caught a Pokemon. That way, transfered Pokemon would be just like recently caught Pokemon.

Ah, you're right. Forgot about that. I use PokeGen myself so I should've known, haha.
    I read on an earlier post that you won't be able to hack the games, question is why would you want to cheat? Training is part of the fun.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pokefanforever View Post

I read on an earlier post that you won't be able to hack the games, question is why would you want to cheat? Training is part of the fun.
    But cheating is also fun! Besides, hacking into the game is how we find out things like the exact base stats of a given Pokemon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pokefanforever View Post

You tell that to the hackers.

Claims: Dialga | Multitype | Judgment | Adamant Orb | Draco Plate

追放されたバカ

Visit Fennekin's Youtube Channel

Maybe they're gonna remove the EV/IV system and implement a new system?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fennekin View Post
    Maybe they're gonna remove the EV/IV system and implement a new system?
    We can rule that out:

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree
    We also know from Masuda that Game Freak don't intend to cut backwards compatibility, IVs or EVs anytime soon (he said as much when he was asked about those things in a Q&A session last month).
    suttonmitchell likes this.

追放されたバカ

Visit Fennekin's Youtube Channel

Where's that interview?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast