Like Tree86Likes

Thread: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

Default Re: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

Your Trainer now has a Level.
    V Faction: Bulbatized

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3136 - 6603 - 1330

Blog Entries

If it has to do with friendship, then I guess I could be an effort to make trainers and Pokemon get a closer connection in-game, and encourage people to use and train the Pokemon they get in a trade. Since friendship resets to 0 when traded, people have to actually travel with it/use it to make it stronger.

HEH, I can already see people who wants quick PokeGen'd Pokemon being annoyed with that.

Claims: Dialga | Multitype | Judgment | Adamant Orb | Draco Plate

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by V Faction View Post
    Your Trainer now has a Level.
    And the level cap will be increased by 10 every two years.

Alternatively: raids, pokemon style. You get a massive boss pokemon with heavily increased stats, and you fight it 5 on 1. You would have to add additional mechanics to keep it interesting though.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Er, I don't think I can see that idea working at all. I know it's been done in the anime and other games, but for core pokemon they'd have to make the pokemon gruesomely overpowered. Not to mention that you wouldn't be able to catch it.
    suttonmitchell likes this.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Well they mention a lot of "pokémon and human bonds making them more powerfull" stuff so i wouldnt be surprised if they extend the friendship mechanic or something related.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El_ View Post
    If this actually does mean something, and is not simply a generic quote of creating bonds with new Pokemon:

The Nature system could probably get expanded in some way. In other words, say Adamant which increases attack by 10% normally. With a new mechanic, this will steadily increase due to how much happiness a Pokemon has, maxing out at 20% or 25%.

Alternatively, another stat (no more than 2) could simply get increased by 10% each based on happiness. In this example, you again have a Pokemon with Adamant, but based on your "bond" the Pokemon's speed also increases as if it had a Jolly or Timid nature. Either scenario naturally makes a stronger Pokemon and is simple enough to implement into the games.

If they ever brought back walking Pokemon, the Pokemon you most walk with could get these boost in power. Makes N's & Cyrus's statements about the Pokeballs limiting potential thing make a lot of sense, too.

I honestly am not putting much stock on the quote however, it could really just be a generic quote but if not I wouldn't mind seeing something new.
    Great idea.
    My issue with this, however, it that it's still a relative increase.

Right now, the biggest problem in Pokemon strength is that BST is ultimately what determines a Pokemon's power. Moveset, nature and strategy aside; it's close to impossible to best a 600 BST pokemon with... Rattata.
    A mechanic that puts Pokemon on a level playing field would be ideal. Say this new mechanic lowers/raises a Pokemons raw power so that they are within a certain degree of each other.

If done incorrectly, most of the "strong/weak pokemon" element is squashed, but I'm making guesses on something about which I have no information so, yup

Quote Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
    Relatedly, people are also speculating about trainer customizations. It would be interesting if the trainer customizations (or Trainer class chosen) also affected the types of boosts that will be given when your bond strengthen.
    I'm all for trainer customization, but trainer class affecting one's pokemon usage is far too patronizing for my tastes. I don't like that.
    Now, if it were something more specific, like "this garment affects pokemon in xyz manner"; that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    What could this be in reference to? We got a stat overhaul in Generation III, but technically that doesn't count as a battle structure (only an underlying one), nor did it make Pokémon stronger, but rather more diversified. We also know from Masuda that Game Freak don't intend to cut backwards compatibility, IVs or EVs anytime soon (he said as much when he was asked about those things in a Q&A session last month).
    You're right.
    Backwards compatibility would only affect things present in previous games (and let's assume that XY are compatible only with BW and B2W2; not DPPtHGSS); therefore, it has to be a brand new mechanic, not an expansion or modification of something present in B2W2.
    Jolty94, Kwame120 and Narcisse like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoKING View Post
    I would continue this battle of wits with you but you're obviously unarmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unown Lord View Post
    Deal with it.

They probably won't overhaul the base stat system any time soon, as that would majorly impact compatibility with past games. I'm thinking it's more along the lines of a general overhaul of the happiness stat, and possibly even the way EVs are gained. They might be introducing a new invisible "stat", something like "fondness", that can be either positive or negative up to a certain extent, and bringing in more ways of interacting with your mons (like playing games with them, periodically feeding them, etc., and these things could be extrapolated even further by each mon having likes and dislikes) which will affect this stat. And this probably won't directly impact the mon's stats, but could instead give them special advantages in battle, such as slightly improved crit rate and/or access to special "bond" skills (which would of course be generated at transfer for any mons that are brought from older games, likely by IVs or nature - or, to keep things even simpler, these skills could simply be a product of the mon's nature). High negative fondness could put the mon into sort of an "Ash's Charizard mode" where they might not obey you, but also have a chance of unleashing a devastating "rage" attack or some other dangerous skill (for instance, the villain team's mons would likely do this a lot, making them far less predictable and more dangerous).

Basically, treat your mon with kindness and love, and you will reap the rewards in battle via new special skills; treat them like crap and you will probably suffer for it (but there may be certain advantages to having a mon hate you as well, depending on various elements). One interesting idea that came to mind with this concept is having a handful of mons - for instance Aggron, Krookodile, or any other mon where this would have some logical sense about it - who actually benefit from having negative fondness, giving them access to a skill that makes them more useful.

The problem is see with the whole treat good / make them happy = stronger , treat crap / make unhappy = weaker is that its not entirely true. Sure having a strong bond is one of the better ways of having your pokemon do their best but its been shown before (mainly in the anime [Paul]) that you can treat a pokemon coldly and impersonally and still have them turn out strong. Albeit it generally turns out badly if you cant train them well in the first place.
    Reila likes this.

The Jet Black Pokemon Ninja_Oscar's Avatar

Follow Ninja_Oscar on Tumblr

I don't want to speculate too much at this point. I mean, I don't see how they can change the battle structure drastically without messing with the compatibility to past games.

CottonSheepFairy 33Whimsicott33's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El_ View Post
    If this actually does mean something, and is not simply a generic quote of creating bonds with new Pokemon:

The Nature system could probably get expanded in some way. In other words, say Adamant which increases attack by 10% normally. With a new mechanic, this will steadily increase due to how much happiness a Pokemon has, maxing out at 20% or 25%.

Alternatively, another stat (no more than 2) could simply get increased by 10% each based on happiness. In this example, you again have a Pokemon with Adamant, but based on your "bond" the Pokemon's speed also increases as if it had a Jolly or Timid nature. Either scenario naturally makes a stronger Pokemon and is simple enough to implement into the games.

If they ever brought back walking Pokemon, the Pokemon you most walk with could get these boost in power. Makes N's & Cyrus's statements about the Pokeballs limiting potential thing make a lot of sense, too.

I honestly am not putting much stock on the quote however, it could really just be a generic quote but if not I wouldn't mind seeing something new.
    Those are neat ideas in general, but I only see the "bonds with pokemon" concept being embodied in the last one.

A shot in the dark of my own:

This game has some kind of genetics overtones. Taking that into account plus the "bonds with pokemon" thing, what if friendship was altered to (among other things) affect IVs?
    Oh?

If you scream into the 3ds mic "NOOO! don't faint Chespin! I believe in you!!!" their health will go up a little.

Idk, to be honest the theory I'm hoping for is wohdins. Not just because they've been using the "bond between humans and pokémon theme" for years and finally using that as a gameplay mechanic seems logical, but because I'm a huge nerd and really want to play games and feed my pokémon.
    -Glurak-, Reila, Guy_Spy and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Totophile View Post
    If you scream into the 3ds mic "NOOO! don't faint Chespin! I believe in you!!!" their health will go up a little.

Idk, to be honest the theory I'm hoping for is wohdins. Not just because they've been using the "bond between humans and pokémon theme" for years and finally using that as a gameplay mechanic seems logical, but because I'm a huge nerd and really want to play games and feed my pokémon.
    Yelling "You can do it , i believe in you!" will cause them to evolve mid battle and win for you :P
    Guy_Spy and Silverwynde like this.

They really need to implement more mic usage for pokémon.

Quote Originally Posted by Totophile View Post
    They really need to implement more mic usage for pokémon.
    I agree when diamond and pearl came out so many moons ago my friends and I were all hoping we'd finally be able to use voice commands for our Pokemon. The idea of yelling pikachu use thunderbolt on the bus just never ceased to amaze me.

Back on topic I love the idea of friendship mattering. Part of why I love umbreon and espionage so much is they need to trust you before they'll give up their awesomeness! So why not allow Pokemon to push their limits for you?
    The_Doctor likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by d.aisuke View Post
    I'm all for trainer customization, but trainer class affecting one's pokemon usage is far too patronizing for my tastes. I don't like that.
    Now, if it were something more specific, like "this garment affects pokemon in xyz manner"; that's fine.
    I'd prefer if it was a combination of both. I mean, having a base trainer class would explain why certain trainers specialize...they have a natural affinity to form strong bonds with certain types of Pokemon.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast