New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 108
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

  1. #1
    Time Traveler Silktree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,396
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

    Tsunekazu Ishihara has released additional details about the games. Among them is the following tidbit:

    The bonds between players and Pokémon will deepen, and Pokémon will become stronger with the new battle structure.
    What could this be in reference to? We got a stat overhaul in Generation III, but technically that doesn't count as a battle structure (only an underlying one), nor did it make Pokémon stronger, but rather more diversified. We also know from Masuda that Game Freak don't intend to cut backwards compatibility, IVs or EVs anytime soon (he said as much when he was asked about those things in a Q&A session last month).
    Bob the Builder likes this.

  2. #2
    Soul Suckin' Jerk Beck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Where It's At!
    Posts
    1,230
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

    I'm going to assume that the first half of the sentence is fluff, or an indication that the 3D Pokémon look lifelike, making it easier for a player to get attached to his or her Pokémon. I couldn't begin to guess in what way the Pokémon will become stronger due to the new battle structure, though. First and foremost I don't have the slightest idea how GameFreak could have changed the battle structure, so I can't think of any way that this would alter the strength of the Pokémon.

  3. #3
    Miss me? Regiruler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Blossom City
    Posts
    1,481
    Blog Entries
    16

    Default Re: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

    Maybe an overall mechanic change similar to the Physical/Special split?
    The_Doctor likes this.

  4. #4
    ... ... ... Ash_Pokemaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    584

    Default Re: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

    I like the choice of words "new battle structure" instead of "new battle mechanics". I'm really hoping for some deep changes in the battle system. It can't go on with just more additions and tweaks. It needs to freshen up with some bold changes.

    I wonder if the "bonds deepening" and Pokémon becoming stronger have to do with each other.

  5. #5
    Registered User The Outrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,171
    Blog Entries
    951

    Default Re: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Tsunekazu Ishihara has released additional details about the games. Among them is the following tidbit:

    The bonds between players and Pokémon will deepen, and Pokémon will become stronger with the new battle structure.
    What could this be in reference to? We got a stat overhaul in Generation III, but technically that doesn't count as a battle structure (only an underlying one), nor did it make Pokémon stronger, but rather more diversified. We also know from Masuda that Game Freak don't intend to cut backwards compatibility, IVs or EVs anytime soon (he said as much when he was asked about those things in a Q&A session last month).
    I honestly thought of something similar to Pokemon Conquest where the Pokemon's strength actually depends on the link between the warrior and Pokemon. I hope so, it gives more evidence to the idea that humans in the main series games may have interacted with Pokemon similarly to the warriors in Conquest (that is, having a limited amount of Pokemon they can tame) with Pokeballs facilitating the initial bond that trainers would not otherwise be able to make.

  6. #6
    Goodbye friends, I'll miss you all <3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Uncertain
    Posts
    1,284
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

    It'd be interesting if a Pokemon got its stats boosted or lowered based on the bond it has with its trainer.
    Owain and Reila like this.

  7. #7
    Registered User The Outrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,171
    Blog Entries
    951

    Default Re: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

    Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    I'm going to assume that the first half of the sentence is fluff
    I doubt its simply fluff. They mention it in the video as well, saying that the more you battle, the stronger your bond. Kind of a weird statement to make if its referring to something as generic as the happiness stat.

    Relatedly, people are also speculating about trainer customizations. It would be interesting if the trainer customizations (or Trainer class chosen) also affected the types of boosts that will be given when your bond strengthen.

  8. #8
    CottonSheepFairy 33Whimsicott33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Wherever the wind blows
    Posts
    366
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default Re: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

    I'm wondering what the source japanese text he said was. Exact words and the things they imply in their culture tend to be especially important when trying to "read between the lines"...
    Oh?

  9. #9
    froakie squad! suttonmitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    24
    Follow suttonmitchell On Twitter

    Default Re: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

    It is a bit confusing the way the translation is worded.

    I hope some new big element is added and much more.
    Last edited by suttonmitchell; 9th January 2013 at 07:11 PM.
    3DS: 2208-4425-4567
    Black 2: 0390-7753-0916

  10. #10
    Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    SL, UT
    Posts
    2,565
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

    I'm finding it hard to get an definite meaning from this statement other than "there'll be new stuff in the games!"

  11. #11
    Time Traveler Silktree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,396
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

    Quote Originally Posted by 33Whimsicott33 View Post
    I'm wondering what the source japanese text he said was. Exact words and the things they imply in their culture tend to be especially important when trying to "read between the lines"...
    Famitsu has the original wording. I can tell that Masuda was the one who mentioned the new battle structure, and it seems that it is linked to the strengthened connection between Pokémon and their trainers. But someone who knows Japanese should take a closer look.
    Last edited by Silktree; 9th January 2013 at 03:12 AM.
    suttonmitchell likes this.

  12. #12
    Om nom watermellon Solacen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney , Australia
    Posts
    156

    Default Re: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

    Possible reworking / deepening of the friendship / happiness mechanic?

  13. #13
    El_
    El_ is offline
    Registered User El_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    N's Puzzle Cube
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

    If this actually does mean something, and is not simply a generic quote of creating bonds with new Pokemon:

    The Nature system could probably get expanded in some way. In other words, say Adamant which increases attack by 10% normally. With a new mechanic, this will steadily increase due to how much happiness a Pokemon has, maxing out at 20% or 25%.

    Alternatively, another stat (no more than 2) could simply get increased by 10% each based on happiness. In this example, you again have a Pokemon with Adamant, but based on your "bond" the Pokemon's speed also increases as if it had a Jolly or Timid nature. Either scenario naturally makes a stronger Pokemon and is simple enough to implement into the games.

    If they ever brought back walking Pokemon, the Pokemon you most walk with could get these boost in power. Makes N's & Cyrus's statements about the Pokeballs limiting potential thing make a lot of sense, too.

    I honestly am not putting much stock on the quote however, it could really just be a generic quote but if not I wouldn't mind seeing something new.

    N set by smalllady
    Ideals/Truth

  14. #14
    The Power of Electricity Jolty94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cianwood City, Johto
    Posts
    109
    Follow Jolty94 On Twitter Add Jolty94 on Facebook

    Default Re: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

    Quote Originally Posted by El_ View Post
    If this actually does mean something, and is not simply a generic quote of creating bonds with new Pokemon:

    The Nature system could probably get expanded in some way. In other words, say Adamant which increases attack by 10% normally. With a new mechanic, this will steadily increase due to how much happiness a Pokemon has, maxing out at 20% or 25%.

    Alternatively, another stat (no more than 2) could simply get increased by 10% each based on happiness. In this example, you again have a Pokemon with Adamant, but based on your "bond" the Pokemon's speed also increases as if it had a Jolly or Timid nature. Either scenario naturally makes a stronger Pokemon and is simple enough to implement into the games.

    If they ever brought back walking Pokemon, the Pokemon you most walk with could get these boost in power. Makes N's & Cyrus's statements about the Pokeballs limiting potential thing make a lot of sense, too.

    I honestly am not putting much stock on the quote however, it could really just be a generic quote but if not I wouldn't mind seeing something new.
    Your theories are awesome anyway, that sounds like the only plausible way right now... but we know so little about the games yet, I just hope it's not a drastic change in the mechanics. I also like that they used the words "new battle structure" rather than "new battle mechanics"
    N is finished yet.

  15. #15
    Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    22,005
    Blog Entries
    199
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

    Default Re: New battle structure to make Pokémon stronger

    I wonder if that means the Friendship mechanic will somehow have more of an effect on battling, that's what Im getting from that.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •