Nerfing Endgame Legendaries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Nerfing Endgame Legendaries

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Nerfing Endgame Legendaries

They say that people should use the Pokemon they cherish most and it's available in-game, it must be used. But what's the point of it being used if there are restrictions for it from being used in official battle facilities and tournaments? The endgame legendaries have the worst treatment of this scenario because they're always overpowered, and they require you to use another endgame legendary, or a few selected OU Pokemon, to defeat it. It's something Game Freak will need to fix for people who love to use legendaries on their team so they won't be restricted to in-game use only. So far, I only have two solutions on nerfing them:

1. Reducing their base stats to 600 since that's supposedly the total number of stats a Pokemon is allowed to be used in a battle facility (Pokemon w/ base 670 are the exception because they have a nerf ability). However, event Pokemon are discluded because it must be Pokemon you could actually catch in-game rather from an event.

2. Limiting their movepool would also help nerf their OP status so regular Pokemon who also have shallow movepool could stand a chance. They've done it with the Tao trio, but apparently it wasn't enough to make them non-uber material because of their base stats (except Kyurem).

I really wanted to use a non-uber endgame legendary on my team, but my rules prevent me from using them.
    Last edited by Ghetsis-Dennis; 29th July 2012 at 03:45 PM.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Default Re: Nerfing Endgame Legendaries

If they reduced the power of Legendaries to barely above that of regular Pokemon, then why would they even be known as Legendaries any more? What would set them apart other than the fancy battle music and story emphasis?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Enzap View Post
    If they reduced the power of Legendaries to barely above that of regular Pokemon, then why would they even be known as Legendaries any more? What would set them apart other than the fancy battle music and story emphasis?
    Other legendaries such as the bird trio are fair in-game with regular Pokemon despite their story emphasis, and their total base stats are mostly 580, so why can't endgame legendaries?

Follow Benster404 On Twitter

So you want Arceus, the creator of the pokemon world, to have the same stats as a Dragonite. Somehow i don't think that would catch on

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Other legendaries such as the bird trio are fair in-game with regular Pokemon despite their story emphasis, and their total base stats are mostly 580, so why can't endgame legendaries?
    Besides the fact that GF didn't really know what they were doing back in Gen 1, think about how many fans would complain and say stuff along the lines of "What's up with this? Why are all these legends so weak compared to the past ones!?!? OLD IS BETTERRR!!!"
    Bill Cipher likes this.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They say that people should use the Pokemon they cherish most and it's available in-game, it must be used. But what's the point of it being used if there are restrictions for it from being used in official battle facilities and tournaments? The endgame legendaries have the worst treatment of this scenario because they're always overpowered, and they require you to use another endgame legendary, or a few selected OU Pokemon, to defeat it. It's something Game Freak will need to fix for people who love to use legendaries on their team so they won't be restricted to in-game use only. So far, I only have two solutions on nerfing them:

1. Reducing their base stats to 600 since that's supposedly the total number of stats a Pokemon is allowed to be used in a battle facility (Pokemon w/ base 670 are the exception because they have a nerf ability). However, event Pokemon are discluded because it must be Pokemon you could actually catch in-game rather from an event.

2. Limiting their movepool would also help nerf their OP status so regular Pokemon who also have shallow movepool could stand a chance. They've done it with the Tao trio, but apparently it wasn't enough to make them non-uber material because of their base stats (except Kyurem).

I really wanted to use a non-uber endgame legendary on my team, but my rules prevent me from using them.
    GF doesn't create Pokemon with solely the metagame in mind, you know. And battlers can always battle in UBERs if they really want to use stuff like Palkia and Kyogre. IIRC, VGCs also allowed one legend or something like that.

Frankly nerfing legends is a poor idea. The idea that Palkia, the creater of space being weaker than metagross or something like that makes me shake with mirth. Weaker legends are not really popular in the fandom either. Case would be the Regis. The idea of 680 BST legends is to have Pokemon who have significant power which dwarfs the power of other mons. Something like how we have big politicans and businessmen in the society who hold a lot of power and influence.

If you ask me, I would rather reduce the number of legends in each gen. Gen 4 had 10 to 15 and it feels that they are simply over-doing it. Some legends also seem to have a watered down back-story. Again the story of regis comes to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

No thank you. Leave the legendaries exactly where they are. Plus, not all legendaries are broken. I mean, look at Articuno. Is that broken? No way.

By your logic, Pokemon like Blaziken, Garchomp, and Excadrill should be nerfed/banned in-game too.

I'm sorry, but no.

EDIT: Plus, I definitely wouldn't want Arceus, the God of Pokemon, to have lower stats than Slaking, or anything for that matter. If you don't like those super strong legendaries, don't play in Ubers or anything. If you do like them, play in Ubers. It's that easy.
    Last edited by Pidgeot; 30th July 2012 at 08:57 AM.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GallifreyanGallade View Post
    No thank you. Leave the legendaries exactly where they are. Plus, not all legendaries are broken. I mean, look at Articuno. Is that broken? No way.
    Except Articuno is not an endgame legendary (you know, like Reshiram and Dialga).

By your logic, Pokemon like Blaziken, Garchomp, and Excadrill should be nerfed/banned in-game too.
    They're not legendaries, but it's true that they need some nerfing.

EDIT: Plus, I definitely wouldn't want Arceus, the God of Pokemon, to have lower stats than Slaking, or anything for that matter. If you don't like those super strong legendaries, don't play in Ubers or anything. If you do like them, play in Ubers. It's that easy.
    But I have a rule of not using ubers in my team due to their OP status, but I wish to use endgame legendaries on Random Matchups and other official battle facilities if they weren't so overpowered. Nerfing them is the only way for them to get used without being banned and feeling cheap. Besides, I really don't have access to Smogon battles.
    Last edited by Ghetsis-Dennis; 30th July 2012 at 09:41 AM.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

But I have a rule of not using ubers in my team due to their OP status, but I wish to use endgame legendaries on Random Matchups and other official battle facilities if they weren't so overpowered. Nerfing them is the only way for them to get used without being banned and feeling cheap. Besides, I really don't have access to Smogon battles.
    But if stuff like Groudon and Zekrom were nerfed, would you still want to use them on Random Matchups and battle facilities?

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But I have a rule of not using ubers in my team due to their OP status,
    That is just an opinion or something like a bias. Teams should be logical.

Nerfing them is the only way for them to get used without being banned and feeling cheap.
    Believe it or not, casual battlers consider using even "weaker" legends like Registeel or Zapdos as cheap. Its not an uncommon sight to see people saying, "People who use legendaries are n00bs!" When they say legendary, they are referring to all Pokemon who come under the "legendary title". So, even if you slash 80 spatk from Kyogres' BST and turn it into a Pokemon with 600 BST, quite a few people are still going to call its usage as cheap just because it holds the title of legendary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GallifreyanGallade View Post
    But if stuff like Groudon and Zekrom were nerfed, would you still want to use them on Random Matchups and battle facilities?
    Yes, because now I can finally use my favorite endgame legendaries on my team.

Blog Entries

This idea about nerfing the legendaries is good. Kyogre, Zekrom and my other favorites can be used finally. But there is the problem with them being defeated easily. That's why they have their abilities to ensure their safety. I wouldn't mind.

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's your problem, not Game Freak's. And it's certainly not the only way for them to 'get used without being banned and feeling cheap.' As other people have mentioned, you can always find somebody to play an Ubers style match with. Don't blame GF if you decide to cut off your own legs.
    sonic10158 likes this.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grass Type Trainer View Post
    That's your problem, not Game Freak's. And it's certainly not the only way for them to 'get used without being banned and feeling cheap.' As other people have mentioned, you can always find somebody to play an Ubers style match with. Don't blame GF if you decide to cut off your own legs.
    But I never play ubers, only the standard metagame, which is OU, and I really wish for endgame legendaries to be in OU, and the only way to do that is to nerf them.

Blog Entries

They aren't going to ever Nerf end-game legends.. the entire POINT of an End-game legend is to BE overpowered... besides you've got Pokemon like the Musketeers who aren't overpowered like GTT said it's your problem not Game Freaks... play normal Kyurem if you want...
    Black: 4727-9836-9051
    White: 3396-7767-9032
    Platinum: 0003-5833-1618
    Soul Silver: 3138-3094-2458

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast