Natures, the Bane of My Life

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Natures, the Bane of My Life

Grass-type fanatic Frenzy Plant's Avatar
    Follow Frenzy Plant On Twitter
    Follow Frenzy Plant on Tumblr

Default Natures, the Bane of My Life

Natures. I hate 'em. I love 'em at the same time. I didn't bother with natures until Diamond and Pearl were released.

Now I soft-reset at the start of each game so my starter has the right nature; I can't have a Pokémon on my team unless I catch it with the desired nature or I waste hours breeding the Pokémon for the perfect nature on another game; soft-resetting to before the egg hatches, then trading the egg over and hatching it on the game it's meant for.

I know in the story mode, natures make little difference; but I can't help myself. I think I'm OCD about it. When I sit down to play the game now I get quickly put off because I spend ages breeding for the right nature rather than just enjoying it!

Anyone else suffering like me? :P
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Natures, the Bane of My Life

I'm in the same boat as you. I didn't really care about natures at first, but starting with DP, it really bothered me if I got a bad nature for a Pokemon on my team. Granted, a Pokemon doesn't need the best nature for me to use it (storyline-wise), but I couldn't use a Modest Beldum, for example. No way.
    3DS FC: 1203-9389-8130

Follow Daxdiv On Twitter

I'm pretty much like that as well. When I first played Sapphire, I thought Natures were just a cool flavor text, but when I learned that it affects things like your stats, that's when I became anal about getting one that boosts ones greatest stats. Of course, I don't go as wild for my in-game team, basically if someone has good Special Attack, I don't mind it getting a Rash or Mild Nature, but if it's my competitive one, that's where I aim for things like Modest.

Ol' Brown Eyes is back Jesse GS the II's Avatar

I really could not give two shits about natures. I just build my Pokémon's movepools around whatever stats they have - if one's higher or lower than another, I'll just give them moves that reflect that.
    This is my DeviantArt. Pretty neat, huh?

Jouto Redux
    One fan's re-imagining of the Jouto saga
    Read Chapter 6 now!

^^^ I'm the same way as above. The only time I have ever payed attention to a Pokemon's nature was the Riolu egg I got in my latest Pearl file. I prefer the Special attacking Lucario, but I got a Jolly egg, so now its a Physical attacker. First time I have ever cared about a nature since my Sapphire way back when.

Blog Entries
    Add Morru Magnum on Facebook

I remember getting on the Perfect Nature craze when I got my Ruby. I had like, 2 Boxes full of "imperfect" Heracross.

BANNER BY Blue Dragon
    JOIN Pokémon URPG TODAY!
    | URPG Stats | Curator Log | Ref Log | Violet Gym |

I don't care about getting the perfect nature for Pokémon I will be using, however I don't want a nature that will affect it negatively.

We're very concerned. Bittersweet's Avatar

Follow Bittersweet on Tumblr

I have never cared about Natures...and I don't think I ever will. I play the game, you know, like a normal person. Just play it. :/

I don't EV train...though I do infect my Pokemon with PKRS just because of the vry slight bonus it brings, but I don't go nuts with it.
    I don't soft reset to get the right nature. When I catch a legendary, I don't check its nature; I just go "COOL! I CAUGHT [such and such]!! WOO!"
    Then I just get them to lv100...

My Gold Trainer Card (Pokémon X) :)

Nut

I have this same problem. It was while playing my Diamond game that I first started looking into online Pokémon resources and discovered the extent to which you can control a Pokémon's stats, which I had previously thought were pretty random and didn't bother myself much about. Now I EV train obsessively (in fact, EV training has become my favorite part of the game) and I can't stand using a Pokémon whose nature is completely unsuited to it.

I haven't been able to properly enjoy the story mode since I discovered the meaning of natures and EVs; I do use Pokémon with bad natures while playing through the game for the first time because I can't be bothered to spend time catching dozens of Hoothoot before heading into the first gym, but as soon as I've reached a point in the game where I can conveniently start crafting my Pokémon's stats, I dump my original team in the PC and break out the Everstones for nature breeding.

I draw the line at IVs, though. Can't be bothered to be constantly noting down stat values and plugging them into IV calculators, plus I'd probably go crazy before I found any Pokémon I was willing to train.

Quote Originally Posted by Nut View Post
    I have this same problem. It was while playing my Diamond game that I first started looking into online Pokémon resources and discovered the extent to which you can control a Pokémon's stats, which I had previously thought were pretty random and didn't bother myself much about. Now I EV train obsessively (in fact, EV training has become my favorite part of the game) and I can't stand using a Pokémon whose nature is completely unsuited to it.

I haven't been able to properly enjoy the story mode since I discovered the meaning of natures and EVs; I do use Pokémon with bad natures while playing through the game for the first time because I can't be bothered to spend time catching dozens of Hoothoot before heading into the first gym, but as soon as I've reached a point in the game where I can conveniently start crafting my Pokémon's stats, I dump my original team in the PC and break out the Everstones for nature breeding.

I draw the line at IVs, though. Can't be bothered to be constantly noting down stat values and plugging them into IV calculators, plus I'd probably go crazy before I found any Pokémon I was willing to train.
    I totally agree mate, IV's are a big no no for me. I enjoy having a life, I can't be bothered tryng to work out the perfect IV stats. Though I do give my pokemon perfect natures and then EV train them, but thats as far as it goes.
    4 Times.
    92, 06, 09, 11.
    Wembly, Paris, Rome, Wembly.
    Sampdoria, Arsenal, Manchester United, Manchester United.
    Johan Cruyff, Frank Rijkaard, Josep Guardiola.

We Conquered Europe

Grass-type fanatic Frenzy Plant's Avatar
    Follow Frenzy Plant On Twitter
    Follow Frenzy Plant on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Nut View Post

I am EXACTLY, to the letter, the same as you.
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

Blog Entries

I only go crazy over natures when I play competitive.
    Secret butt fun!

Avatar made by this guy. I have a YouTube account and a twitter.
    In Soviet Bulbagarden, anime is butthurt over all aspects of YOU!

Blog Entries
    Follow Ghost On Twitter

For in-game teams, I like to have natures that don't hinder the Pokémon's good stats, but competitively, the right nature is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bttsstewart View Post
    I have never cared about Natures...and I don't think I ever will. I play the game, you know, like a normal person. Just play it. :/

I don't EV train...though I do infect my Pokemon with PKRS just because of the vry slight bonus it brings, but I don't go nuts with it.
    I don't soft reset to get the right nature. When I catch a legendary, I don't check its nature; I just go "COOL! I CAUGHT [such and such]!! WOO!"
    Then I just get them to lv100...
    Someone with common sence! *High Fives*

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Synesus View Post
    I don't care about getting the perfect nature for Pokémon I will be using, however I don't want a nature that will affect it negatively.
    This, at least in-game. Unless it's the absolutely worst Nature for that Pokémon in particular (Impish Abra, for example), I'll settle with what I get, even if it isn't the best. It's only when I focus on properly training a Pokémon that I look out for what I think is the best for them.
    lol I got bored.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast