Natures, the Bane of My Life

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Natures, the Bane of My Life

  1. #1
    Grass-type fanatic Frenzy Plant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Glasgow, UK
    Posts
    545
    Follow Frenzy Plant On Twitter
    Follow Frenzy Plant on Tumblr

    Default Natures, the Bane of My Life

    Natures. I hate 'em. I love 'em at the same time. I didn't bother with natures until Diamond and Pearl were released.

    Now I soft-reset at the start of each game so my starter has the right nature; I can't have a Pokémon on my team unless I catch it with the desired nature or I waste hours breeding the Pokémon for the perfect nature on another game; soft-resetting to before the egg hatches, then trading the egg over and hatching it on the game it's meant for.

    I know in the story mode, natures make little difference; but I can't help myself. I think I'm OCD about it. When I sit down to play the game now I get quickly put off because I spend ages breeding for the right nature rather than just enjoying it!

    Anyone else suffering like me? :P
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

  2. #2
    Registered User Ivysaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,035
    Blog Entries
    120

    Default Re: Natures, the Bane of My Life

    I'm in the same boat as you. I didn't really care about natures at first, but starting with DP, it really bothered me if I got a bad nature for a Pokemon on my team. Granted, a Pokemon doesn't need the best nature for me to use it (storyline-wise), but I couldn't use a Modest Beldum, for example. No way.
    3DS FC: 1203-9389-8130

  3. #3
    A Good Time to Fight Daxdiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    653
    Follow Daxdiv On Twitter

    Default Re: Natures, the Bane of My Life

    I'm pretty much like that as well. When I first played Sapphire, I thought Natures were just a cool flavor text, but when I learned that it affects things like your stats, that's when I became anal about getting one that boosts ones greatest stats. Of course, I don't go as wild for my in-game team, basically if someone has good Special Attack, I don't mind it getting a Rash or Mild Nature, but if it's my competitive one, that's where I aim for things like Modest.

  4. #4
    Ol' Brown Eyes is back Jesse GS the II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Anywhere you're not
    Posts
    423

    Default Re: Natures, the Bane of My Life

    I really could not give two shits about natures. I just build my Pokémon's movepools around whatever stats they have - if one's higher or lower than another, I'll just give them moves that reflect that.
    This is my DeviantArt. Pretty neat, huh?


    Jouto Redux
    One fan's re-imagining of the Jouto saga
    Read Chapter 6 now!

  5. #5
    Typhlosion! rbogey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    420

    Default Re: Natures, the Bane of My Life

    ^^^ I'm the same way as above. The only time I have ever payed attention to a Pokemon's nature was the Riolu egg I got in my latest Pearl file. I prefer the Special attacking Lucario, but I got a Jolly egg, so now its a Physical attacker. First time I have ever cared about a nature since my Sapphire way back when.

  6. #6
    Avada Kedavra! Morru Magnum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    The Land of OOO
    Posts
    3,540
    Blog Entries
    5
    Add Morru Magnum on Facebook

    Default Re: Natures, the Bane of My Life

    I remember getting on the Perfect Nature craze when I got my Ruby. I had like, 2 Boxes full of "imperfect" Heracross.

    BANNER BY Blue Dragon
    JOIN Pokémon URPG TODAY!
    | URPG Stats | Curator Log | Ref Log | Violet Gym |


  7. #7
    ◕‿◕ Synesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    589

    Default Re: Natures, the Bane of My Life

    I don't care about getting the perfect nature for Pokémon I will be using, however I don't want a nature that will affect it negatively.


  8. #8
    We're very concerned. Bittersweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    726

    Follow Bittersweet on Tumblr

    Default Re: Natures, the Bane of My Life

    I have never cared about Natures...and I don't think I ever will. I play the game, you know, like a normal person. Just play it. :/

    I don't EV train...though I do infect my Pokemon with PKRS just because of the vry slight bonus it brings, but I don't go nuts with it.
    I don't soft reset to get the right nature. When I catch a legendary, I don't check its nature; I just go "COOL! I CAUGHT [such and such]!! WOO!"
    Then I just get them to lv100...

    My Gold Trainer Card (Pokémon X) :)

  9. #9
    Nut
    Nut is offline
    Registered User Nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: Natures, the Bane of My Life

    I have this same problem. It was while playing my Diamond game that I first started looking into online Pokémon resources and discovered the extent to which you can control a Pokémon's stats, which I had previously thought were pretty random and didn't bother myself much about. Now I EV train obsessively (in fact, EV training has become my favorite part of the game) and I can't stand using a Pokémon whose nature is completely unsuited to it.

    I haven't been able to properly enjoy the story mode since I discovered the meaning of natures and EVs; I do use Pokémon with bad natures while playing through the game for the first time because I can't be bothered to spend time catching dozens of Hoothoot before heading into the first gym, but as soon as I've reached a point in the game where I can conveniently start crafting my Pokémon's stats, I dump my original team in the PC and break out the Everstones for nature breeding.

    I draw the line at IVs, though. Can't be bothered to be constantly noting down stat values and plugging them into IV calculators, plus I'd probably go crazy before I found any Pokémon I was willing to train.

  10. #10
    Leonardo the Great Leonardo10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    914

    Default Re: Natures, the Bane of My Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Nut View Post
    I have this same problem. It was while playing my Diamond game that I first started looking into online Pokémon resources and discovered the extent to which you can control a Pokémon's stats, which I had previously thought were pretty random and didn't bother myself much about. Now I EV train obsessively (in fact, EV training has become my favorite part of the game) and I can't stand using a Pokémon whose nature is completely unsuited to it.

    I haven't been able to properly enjoy the story mode since I discovered the meaning of natures and EVs; I do use Pokémon with bad natures while playing through the game for the first time because I can't be bothered to spend time catching dozens of Hoothoot before heading into the first gym, but as soon as I've reached a point in the game where I can conveniently start crafting my Pokémon's stats, I dump my original team in the PC and break out the Everstones for nature breeding.

    I draw the line at IVs, though. Can't be bothered to be constantly noting down stat values and plugging them into IV calculators, plus I'd probably go crazy before I found any Pokémon I was willing to train.
    I totally agree mate, IV's are a big no no for me. I enjoy having a life, I can't be bothered tryng to work out the perfect IV stats. Though I do give my pokemon perfect natures and then EV train them, but thats as far as it goes.
    4 Times.
    92, 06, 09, 11.
    Wembly, Paris, Rome, Wembly.
    Sampdoria, Arsenal, Manchester United, Manchester United.
    Johan Cruyff, Frank Rijkaard, Josep Guardiola.

    We Conquered Europe

  11. #11
    Grass-type fanatic Frenzy Plant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Glasgow, UK
    Posts
    545
    Follow Frenzy Plant On Twitter
    Follow Frenzy Plant on Tumblr

    Default Re: Natures, the Bane of My Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Nut View Post
    I have this same problem. It was while playing my Diamond game that I first started looking into online Pokémon resources and discovered the extent to which you can control a Pokémon's stats, which I had previously thought were pretty random and didn't bother myself much about. Now I EV train obsessively (in fact, EV training has become my favorite part of the game) and I can't stand using a Pokémon whose nature is completely unsuited to it.

    I haven't been able to properly enjoy the story mode since I discovered the meaning of natures and EVs; I do use Pokémon with bad natures while playing through the game for the first time because I can't be bothered to spend time catching dozens of Hoothoot before heading into the first gym, but as soon as I've reached a point in the game where I can conveniently start crafting my Pokémon's stats, I dump my original team in the PC and break out the Everstones for nature breeding.

    I draw the line at IVs, though. Can't be bothered to be constantly noting down stat values and plugging them into IV calculators, plus I'd probably go crazy before I found any Pokémon I was willing to train.
    I am EXACTLY, to the letter, the same as you.
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

  12. #12
    Unregistered User Rakarei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    City on the Edge of Forever
    Posts
    1,876
    Blog Entries
    206

    Default Re: Natures, the Bane of My Life

    I only go crazy over natures when I play competitive.
    Secret butt fun!

    Avatar made by this guy. I have a YouTube account and a twitter.
    In Soviet Bulbagarden, anime is butthurt over all aspects of YOU!

  13. #13
    Boo. Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Haunted Valor
    Posts
    17,610
    Blog Entries
    74
    Follow Ghost On Twitter

    Default Re: Natures, the Bane of My Life

    For in-game teams, I like to have natures that don't hinder the Pokémon's good stats, but competitively, the right nature is necessary.

  14. #14
    For now. BrockHasEyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Earth.
    Posts
    89

    Default Re: Natures, the Bane of My Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Bttsstewart View Post
    I have never cared about Natures...and I don't think I ever will. I play the game, you know, like a normal person. Just play it. :/

    I don't EV train...though I do infect my Pokemon with PKRS just because of the vry slight bonus it brings, but I don't go nuts with it.
    I don't soft reset to get the right nature. When I catch a legendary, I don't check its nature; I just go "COOL! I CAUGHT [such and such]!! WOO!"
    Then I just get them to lv100...
    Someone with common sence! *High Fives*

  15. #15
    Registered User Orion-Sama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Goldenrod City
    Posts
    899
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Natures, the Bane of My Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Synesus View Post
    I don't care about getting the perfect nature for Pokémon I will be using, however I don't want a nature that will affect it negatively.
    This, at least in-game. Unless it's the absolutely worst Nature for that Pokémon in particular (Impish Abra, for example), I'll settle with what I get, even if it isn't the best. It's only when I focus on properly training a Pokémon that I look out for what I think is the best for them.
    lol I got bored.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •