name changes from japanese black and white to english black and white - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: name changes from japanese black and white to english black and white

Default Re: name changes from japanese black and white to english black and white

They should leave it all the same.
    Joyus distrust is a sign of health. Everything absolute belongs to pathology.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Default Re: name changes from japanese black and white to english black and white

Quote Originally Posted by Touko~ View Post
    Hilda and Hilbert are horrible names. They should have kept it as Whitlea and Blair. It'll be even better if they kept it as Touko and Touya.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuuro View Post
    Hilda is an old lady name, as well. I honestly wish they'd just called them Black and White.
    Or you know, you can name them whatever you want and call them that. :\

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    At the very least, they should keep the stuff that's already in English the same. What's the point of changing "Live Caster" to "Xtransceiver," "Tri Badge" to "Trio Badge," or "Shell Blade" to "Razor Blade?"
    I disagree with this, at least up to a point.

The examples you give, I might be inclined to agree with you on. But just because an English phrase sounds good to a Japanese audience, that doesn't mean it will sound equally good to an English audience. You only need to look at Pokémon like Jolteon (Thunders), Articuno (Freezer), Zapdos (Thunder) and Moltres (Fire). All English words, but while they may sound cool and exotic to the Japanese, to English speakers they're very literal and dull.

We are, of course, both arguing at the extreme ends of the issue - you're pointing out "English" names that would work perfectly well in the English versions, while I'm pointing out ones that would sound silly. I suppose what I'm arguing is that you can't just leave everything that was in English unchanged. Keep in mind that a lot of the English names that pop up in the Japanese versions are there because they have a pleasing sound to them. There may have been several possibilities before GF settled on "Shell Blade", for example. So if the Japanese can take aesthetics into account when choosing names, why not the translators too?

Though I agree that Xtransceiver is bloody stupid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosuzeria View Post
    They should leave it all the same.
    totally agree with you and thats why i wrote this tread
    the new and improved pokemon master

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Masuda has already said they change it because they feel it's more appropriate for the westerners. They want to make sure that they get the full effect and realize most players won't understand the Japanese puns.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Bikini Miltank
    But just because an English phrase sounds good to a Japanese audience, that doesn't mean it will sound equally good to an English audience. You only need to look at Pokémon like Jolteon (Thunders), Articuno (Freezer), Zapdos (Thunder) and Moltres (Fire). All English words, but while they may sound cool and exotic to the Japanese, to English speakers they're very literal and dull.
    But then you have names like Seel or Ditto, which are also very literal and dull. And then there are tons - tons - of names that are just regular words that have been misspelled (Koffing, Unown, like half the Generation V names).

Though I think the main issue with the names you listed is that NOA needs to choose words that can be copyrighted. You can't really copyright the word "Fire," can you? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakeshi
    They want to make sure that they get the full effect and realize most players won't understand the Japanese puns.
    That's understandable for a name like Fushigidane. Changing Beequeen to Vespiquen? Not so much.
    Last edited by Dogasu; 16th March 2011 at 10:02 AM.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 20th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

But then you have names like Seel or Ditto, which are also very literal and dull. And then there are tons - tons - of names that are just regular words that have been misspelled (Koffing, Unown, like half the Generation V names).

Though I think the main issue with the names you listed is that NOA needs to choose words that can be copyrighted. You can't really copyright the word "Fire," can you? :P

That's understandable for a name like Fushigidane. Changing Beequeen to Vespiquen? Not so much.
    Maybe they thought Beequeen sounded too simple?

Oh well, as long as they don't come up with Foongus Amoongus again

I'm ok....

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

I definitely think that say, for the species of Pokémon, name changes are necessary. For example, Umbreon. We don't want someone to get the wrong idea when they hear a kid shout "Here, I'll give you this Blacky" or "Yeah, I knocked out that Blacky!". Jynx caused enough problems as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou View Post
    Maybe they thought Beequeen sounded too simple?

Oh well, as long as they don't come up with Foongus Amoongus again

I'm ok....
    I actually liked Foongus and Amoonguss.

But yeah, you know X-Transeiver was stupid when the game has to tell you how to pronounce it.
    Last edited by Joshawott; 16th March 2011 at 11:11 AM.

Surgeon of Death 捷克羅姆's Avatar Bulbanews WriterBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow 捷克羅姆 On Twitter
    Follow 捷克羅姆 on Tumblr

No one mentioned the names of legendaries. I wouldn't mind the extra 'i' in Cobalion (even though it doesn't look like one), Tornelos being Tornadus (possibly to be closer to the word "Tornado") and Landlos to Landorus (Jap. name sounds like "land loss"). But was it really necessary to change Voltolos to Thundurus? (Guess they did not want Voltolus...). At least they kept the possible reference to Aeolus...

Yeah, I also think the change to Xtransceiver was senseless and unnecessary. What was the X (cross) part for anyway?

Some of the changes were indeed stupid. I have taken to naming all my emolga Emonga, for example.

But they do have to make this easier for the original target audience, most of which (in the countries that are not Japan anyway) do not speak Japanese or have the slightest idea of how to pronounce anything that is based on Japanese... though the tv lessons are kind of nice for that. Speaking of which, certain names really don't help (it took someone saying it to have the slightest clue for how to pronounce Axew for example because in the word axe you do not pronounce the w).

But I love that we translate species names for a more important reason. Sure when you get something from Japan (or any other country that uses something other than the alphabet we use) the name looks different but if you get say, an axew from France (which I am using as my example because I got one earlier), it will be named Coupenotte. If we kept the names the same as they are in Japan and just Romanized them, France would have the same name as us for everything. What fun is that? Even more fun when you get something that won't evolve. :3

Though I do agree that changing the names for certain other things was rather stupid. Poke Transfer is one of those things that bothered me, Poke Shift sounded so much cooler. >:

This is simple, because Beequeen sounds absolutely stupid to most English speaking ears. It's like how Sega (or Sonic Team, or whoever makes these translation decisions) decided to go with the Japanese name of the man I had called Dr Robotnik my whole life. Eggman may sound interesting if you didn't grow up speaking English but if you did it sounds completely moronic. I would put Beequeen in the same category.

The difference between that and Ditto is that a ditto is not actually a thing. I do agree that Seel was a dumb name though.

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff View Post
    It's like how Sega (or Sonic Team, or whoever makes these translation decisions) decided to go with the Japanese name of the man I had called Dr Robotnik my whole life. Eggman may sound interesting if you didn't grow up speaking English but if you did it sounds completely moronic. I would put Beequeen in the same category.
    I dunno about that. Beequeen and Eggman are both very straightforward, but at least 'Eggman' can be bought as sly reference to the Beatles song, what with his walrus-like appearence and all. Given how very 'western' the Sonic games were from the start, I don't think it's too unreasonable to assume that's where they might have got the idea from.
    Beequeen, on the other hand, doesn't have that luxuary. There's no way you can get anything out of that other than the fact that..well...it's a bee queen.

OSHAWHAT?

I thought that Beequeen, for such a simple name, was pretty fine...

I understand changing names like Tamategate Tamagetake (holy fudge, I thought I got that one down), but what's so special about "Emolga" that they had to change "Emonga"?

Wouldn't it be weird if Purin was a 5th gen Pokemon and we got to witness it being changed to "Jigglypuff"? Mahahahahaha..... what?

Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff View Post
    This is simple, because Beequeen sounds absolutely stupid to most English speaking ears.
    But that same gen they used "licky licky"...
    Seasons =/= Regions

Cheers to the Freeze Luna Tiger's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Follow Luna Tiger on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by 捷克羅姆 View Post
    No one mentioned the names of legendaries. I wouldn't mind the extra 'i' in Cobalion (even though it doesn't look like one),

Yeah, I also think the change to Xtransceiver was senseless and unnecessary. What was the X (cross) part for anyway?
    Either Cobalion was going to be Cobalion, or Virizion and Terrakion were going to be Virizon and Terrakon. The "lion" part is likely for its noble heart, since that's what lions are associated with.

Cross-transceiver, to intersect transmissions. An X has four points, just like you're able to have up to four people in a voice chat thing. Not hard to figure out.
    PRIA is my haunt, 45500 is my identity,
    the black stronghold is my fortress.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

So how about Lillipup? Its Japanese name is Yorterrie, from "Yorkshire Terrier." There's no untranslatable Japanese pun there, but it got changed anyway.

Pendra got changed to Scolipede. Both are based Scolopendra, the scientific name for a centipede. Again, no Japanese puns here, but it got changed anyway.

Elphoon is a combination of the words "elf" and "typhoon." It got changed to Whimsicott.

There are lots more like these.

I can understand, to an extent, changing a really Japanese sounding name to an English name. I may not agree with it, but I understand the rationale behind it, at least. Names like these, though...I just don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    The difference between that and Ditto is that a ditto is not actually a thing.
    Ditto is a real word you can find in the dictionary, though.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 20th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

OSHAWHAT?

Ditto is a real word you can find in the dictionary, though.
    Not to mention...

Not that I'd expect them to keep a name like "Fire", but still...
    Seasons =/= Regions

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast