name changes from japanese black and white to english black and white

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: name changes from japanese black and white to english black and white

Blog Entries

Default name changes from japanese black and white to english black and white

well as i have heard from so of my friends apparently some of the peoples names in the japanese black and white have changed in the english version and i just wanted to put the idea out to all you pokemon fans do yopu think they sholud keep the names the same in both the japanese games and the english one?
    the new and improved pokemon master

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

Default Re: name changes from japanese black and white to english black and white

but... they always change them

i would like it, depending on the name though...

Hachiku - No, GTFO

Blog Entries

Default Re: name changes from japanese black and white to english black and white

well maybe for once it would be nice if the names were all the same

Gmt -6. I live in the burning mansion of the west district where solarbeam dosen`t even take a turn. O.O

Some name changes was okay but some I dislike. I wish they keep boiling, Narttorei and others.
    Diamond FC 5156-9204-9158
    White FC 4255-2794-4246
    We should support Japan!
    Owner of the most holiest Cero.
    Already in search for a Timid with a 70 base power hidden power rock.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

At the very least, they should keep the stuff that's already in English the same. What's the point of changing "Live Caster" to "Xtransceiver," "Tri Badge" to "Trio Badge," or "Shell Blade" to "Razor Blade?"
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 22nd, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

Not even that is a new issue though. For example, the move Crush Claw, which debuted with the R/S games, has the Japanese name of Break Claw.

XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    At the very least, they should keep the stuff that's already in English the same. What's the point of changing "Live Caster" to "Xtransceiver," "Tri Badge" to "Trio Badge," or "Shell Blade" to "Razor Blade?"
    Not to mention their habit of changing Japanese names to other Japanese names >.>

...or "Shell Blade" to "Razor Blade?"
    'Shell Blade' to 'Razor Shell' is one of the dumbest, most unnecessary attack name changes I think we've ever gotten. It stands right up there with 'Nitro Charge' becoming 'Flame Charge'.

Who else thinks that if Treehouse had still been doing the in-game translations those two names would have been left alone?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WatcherMark View Post
    'Shell Blade' to 'Razor Shell' is one of the dumbest, most unnecessary attack name changes I think we've ever gotten. It stands right up there with 'Nitro Charge' becoming 'Flame Charge'.

Who else thinks that if Treehouse had still been doing the in-game translations those two names would have been left alone?
    I don't know, why don't we look at all the other useless name changes Treehouse themselves have made, or you know missing references to other canons, and worst of all Charine. Then there's TPCi's more accurate translation of Bell Tower, which unbelievably people complained about because they chose one translation over another.
    Last edited by The Outrage; 14th March 2011 at 10:29 PM.

I'm the lv.100 Mantyke! Erityke's Avatar

This^
    They also could have kept the japanese pokemon names that were easy to pronounce, like Pokabu...
    I am the world's biggest Mantyke fan!
    Black FC: 0562-0653-8601

Blog Entries

well at least they should of keep some of the names and they sound better in japanese

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Just because they sound better doesn't mean they need to stay

Most Japanese names won't make sense in English

Though some like Elfuun to Whimsicott is just pointless

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

They should cange stuff. Especially the names of the pokemon since they make extensive use of puns. If the pun is in english already then there is no point in changing it but if they do, I couldn't care all that much.

Hilda and Hilbert are horrible names. They should have kept it as Whitlea and Blair. It'll be even better if they kept it as Touko and Touya.

~FerrisWheelShipping~

Fairy Queen Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

Yep. Same thing with most of the Gym Leaders in my eyes, although I understand why they really had to westernise this time.

Still. Skyla? When I hear that name I think of a tacky American tween, not a respectable gym leader.

Hilda is an old lady name, as well. I honestly wish they'd just called them Black and White.

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits
    ~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc. ~ Fanclub ~ Come join the conversation in the Entertainment, Inc. General Chat Thread!~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast