Moves/Abilities That You Think A Pokemon Should Have (XY Edition) - Page 3

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Moves/Abilities That You Think A Pokemon Should Have (XY Edition)

Default Re: Moves/Abilities That You Think A Pokemon Should Have (XY Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by OwlMania View Post
    Aerodactyl should get Brave Bird or Head Smash to make use of that useless ability Rock Head.
    On the opposite end of this, Rampardos gets Head Smash but doesn't have Rock Head, even though it's the one Pokemon who should logically have it over anything else. I mean, Aggron gets to have a recoil-less STAB Head Smash and I don't think anyone would consider it overpowered. And even with Rampardos's much higher attack power, it's craptacular defenses mean that it still gets demolished by priority moves, so I feel like this addition would hardly break it. Maybe give it one more round of action. Two at most.

And on the subject on Gen IV fossils, Bastiodon needs Solid Rock like yesterday. Camerupt gets it and it's not even a rock type!

Registered User BigBadButterfree's Avatar

I wish there were an easy way to teach moves like Double Edge, which were previously readily available, to a multitude of Pokemon. I have a wonderful Clefable just sitting around in my Platinum game cuz I have no way to teach it moves like Double Edge and Softboiled, I was dumb and transferred him before I cared about that sort of thing.

Sometimes I draw things. Finicky Fennekin's Avatar

I'd really like Lopunny to be able to learn Aerial Ace. So many 'mons can learn it by TM (Hoppip? Teddiursa? Mantyke?) and I'm kind of surprised Lopunny can't learn it right now, actually. Bounce is nice, but it has low accuracy and barely any PP. I'd like to be able to teach my Lopunny a more reliable Flying-type move to combat Fighting types.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Personally, I'd like to see Liligant learn Ancient Power or Power Gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gengarzilla View Post
    Zapdos needs Hurricane. Now.
    I think they decided against giving Zapdos Hurricane because it's a Pokémon that is usually put in rain teams and...with both Thunder and Hurricane with 100% accuracy...might be a bit too broken.

Blog Entries

Move: Screech of the forest the pokemon makes a loud earsplitting noise in which the forest comes to life and whips the foe also lowering Sp.def

Agility for my beloved Glaceon.

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As far as Starters go, Meganium needs the biggest movepool revamp of the lot. I say they should play up her defensive/support qualities by giving her moves like Calm Mind, Bulk Up, Amnesia, Iron Defense, and Quiver Dance (obviously not all of them, but one or two out of that list would be greatly appreciated.)

Also, Baton Pass and Wish are MUST HAVES for her. Imagine Meganium being able to pass down Quiver Dances to her teammates, or becoming a nigh impenetrable wall with Amnesia/Iron Defense, all the while being able to heal allies with Wish, and cure them of their status ailments with the Aromatherapy she already has. Her poor typing would still keep her fairly balanced, but buffing up her support movepool would greatly increase her usability, both in-game and competitively.

Also, Blastoise needs Slack Off. I honestly think this Pokemon could become OU's premier Rapid Spinner if it just had a reliable way to heal. It's not fair that Jack-of-all-stats Venusaur and lightning bruiser Charizard both get reliable recovery moves, but Blastoise, the trio's wall, doesn't.

And yes, I've been saying this a lot. All the time. Every chance I get, but dammit, I'm right about this.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grass Type Trainer View Post
    Calm Mind, Bulk Up, Amnesia, Iron Defense, and Quiver Dance (obviously not all of them, but one or two out of that list would be greatly appreciated.)
    While I would't know the last two... the first three work very, very well. I'm honestly surprised it doesn't learn one of them even. It thematically should have Calm Mind, it is bulky enough for Bulk Up.
    And Amnesia would make a really good believable addition, being somewhat special-oriented.

Also while at it give Meganium Flower Gift/Harvest(/Chlorophyll?), along Growth, for some gimmick sun strategy. And no, Meganium doesn't even have Growth either.

Quote Originally Posted by Grass Type Trainer View Post
    Also, Blastoise needs Slack Off. I honestly think this Pokemon could become OU's premier Rapid Spinner if it just had a reliable way to heal.
    You know, that along it having been part-Steel type could've made a pretty succesful pokémon. (Specially since it could get rid of toxic spikes and SR even more easilly)
    Then to a bulky defensive spinner able to boost his defenses like that you just add Shell Smash and the thing isn't leaving OU ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Disobedient View Post
    Agility for my beloved Glaceon.
    Snow Warning. Espeon gets Magic Guard and Vaporeon Hydration, it's not as broken. (Although it'd outclass Abomasnow)
    Making more common the ability to ruin weathers for Hail would immensely favour Ice types in general, too.
    Last edited by Infinity Mk-II; 13th March 2013 at 08:43 PM.

[/overexposition]

Follow Meophist On Twitter

Spinark/Ariados should get Focus Energy. I don't see why it doesn't.

...All Pokémon with Sniper should get Focus Energy. So Spearow/Fearow and Skorupi/Drapion as well.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Geez, it's hard for me to read this thread because most of you write stuff that would make your favourite pokemon stronger. There are limitations you know. Pokemon should get the things that fit for their nature, not those that fit for your battle preference. Some of the moves are characteristically designed for only some types of pokemon, for example Baton Pass is usually designed for faster and nimble pokemon like Scyther or Shedinja. You can't give just any move to any pokemon without reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
    I don't wanna be mean, but I don't see why it should. Focus Energy has so far been mostly used by Fighting pokes, Strong ones, and those with a humanlike shape. Although some like Regigigas still can't learn it.

...All Pokémon with Sniper should get Focus Energy. So Spearow/Fearow and Skorupi/Drapion as well.
    That could make them overpowered.
    Spearow/Fearow has no physical qualities to gain it by my view but I'm not against it.
    Skorupi/Drapion would surely be overpowered with his strong defenses.

I still think Gyarados needs more flying moves. As it is, the only one it can learn is Bounce, and that only through tutor or breeding. I would love to see it learn Fly and Aerial Ace, and maybe Sky Attack. Fly especially would be nice for single player.
    Thanks to MorruMaster14 for the awesome Broompoleon sprite!

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Edge View Post
    I don't wanna be mean, but I don't see why it should. Focus Energy has so far been mostly used by Fighting pokes, Strong ones, and those with a humanlike shape. Although some like Regigigas still can't learn it.

Spearow/Fearow has no physical qualities to gain it by my view but I'm not against it.
    I don't have much to say on the type of Pokémon that should have Focus Energy part, aside from I don't feel it's a move that really needs to be that restricted to certain Pokémon.

Regardless, I don't see it being overpowered as Critical Hits aren't really that strong even with Sniper. At maximum critical hit chance, it'll do 3x damage 50% of the time and 1x damage the other 50% of the time. This only really amounts to 2x damage in total, which is the same as a Swords Dance. Its only advantage here is that it affects both physical and special attack, hitting through defense increases, and having higher "peak" but for the downside of being much less reliable.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I don't have much to say on the type of Pokémon that should have Focus Energy part, aside from I don't feel it's a move that really needs to be that restricted to certain Pokémon.

Regardless, I don't see it being overpowered as Critical Hits aren't really that strong even with Sniper. At maximum critical hit chance, it'll do 3x damage 50% of the time and 1x damage the other 50% of the time. This only really amounts to 2x damage in total, which is the same as a Swords Dance. Its only advantage here is that it affects both physical and special attack, hitting through defense increases, and having higher "peak" but for the downside of being much less reliable.
    I'm reading this and the question which comes to my head is, "did you ever play the actual game?" When you manage to get a critical hit, from a move that has higher power than 40, you deal massive damage and most of the times win. Drapion can learn Night Slash and Cross Poison, which would give him STAB, that would be tons of damage. Not to mention, he still could be having a handy item to supplement that.

It really makes him OP unless you want him to deal lots of damage to pokemon who are resistant to his attacks, but hoping for that is wrong.

I think Honchkrow should learn a few "intelligent", or Mafia-ish attacks, since it's based on an animal that's both pretty intelligent, and is known to sometimes gang up on other animals.

Punishment, Beat Up, and Switcheroo, for example.
    Urilikya likes this.

I'm reading this and the question which comes to my head is, "did you ever play the actual game?" When you manage to get a critical hit, from a move that has higher power than 40, you deal massive damage and most of the times win. Drapion can learn Night Slash and Cross Poison, which would give him STAB, that would be tons of damage. Not to mention, he still could be having a handy item to supplement that.

It really makes him OP unless you want him to deal lots of damage to pokemon who are resistant to his attacks, but hoping for that is wrong.
    I do play, and I also know the numbers.

Taking a non-Sniper Pokémon as an example first, a critical hit will deal double damage of a non-critical hit. If Focus Energy made the critical hit chance 100%, then it will effectively double the damage the Pokémon's attacks will deal. This is similar to the use of Swords Dance which doubles the damage the Pokémon's physical attacks will deal. If you assume a physical-oriented Pokémon, the overall effect of these two moves are similar. The differences are:
    • The hypothetical Focus Energy will ignore increases in defense for the opponent Pokémon.
    • The hypothetical Focus Energy will affect both the user's physical and special attacks.
    • Swords Dance can be used multiple times to increase damage even further.
    However, Focus energy does not increase critical hit chance to 100%. At the very most, it will raise it to 50%, making it about 50% of the power of Swords Dance. Even so, getting it up to 50% means the Pokémon needs to make sacrifices elsewhere, likely needing to carry an item that increases critical hit rate and using a move that has an increased critical hit rate. On the other hand, Swords Dance doesn't need anything other than physical attack moves to consistently have an additional 100% power on attacks, and can be used multiple times to increase it further. At this point, the only advantage going for critical hits is when the opponent Pokémon increases their defense, as critical hits can bypass them. Critical hits are still unreliable, however, due to only occurring at most 50% of the time and taking up significant resources to achieve that.

The Sniper ability helps it, but still won't deal as much damage as a Swords Dance-boosted move on average even if they use the same moves. So I don't quite agree that giving these Pokémon Focus Energy will make them overpowered.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast