More Gyms in Gen VI, Or Is 8 Enough? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Should there be more gyms in Gen VI?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, 8 isn't enough.

24 48.98%
  • No, 8 is enough and I think going over that is pushing it.

16 32.65%
  • Not sure.

9 18.37%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: More Gyms in Gen VI, Or Is 8 Enough?

Stars, Rainbows and Stars Chronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: More Gyms in Gen VI, Or Is 8 Enough?

More gyms could be interesting, but they could just use the extra space on the 3DS to add other good content. I think there are other aspects of the games that could use some work (post-game) before they change something that doesn't really need to be altered.

I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

I want more gyms, but in the way of GSCHGSS or else it wouldn't be a pokemon game. It's easy to level up pokemon before the first time facing the elite four, but the second time is more difficult. Gyms help to level up the pokemon easily.

I wouldn't want to add more pre-E4 gyms. The badge quest is fine as it is (if anything, it's getting quite stale and is clearly not as big a part of the games as it once was). If making the games longer is the issue, then I would much rather a longer story and side quests instead of just a longer badge quest

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smalllady View Post
    The badge quest has already become pretty stale. No need to drag it out with 12 or 16 gyms. Gamefreak needs to find other ways to make the games interesting.
    That's why I proposed a new format for gyms. The solution to making a stale feature more interesting isn't to increase the quantity, but to increase the quality. We're supposed to be training to be Pokemon Masters, yet we're only ever tested on one battle style and one set of rules. That's why I think the future gym formats, along with their type specialties, should also specialize in a battle format:

- Singles
    - Doubles
    - Triples
    - Rotation
    - Wonder Launcher

These battle styles are nowhere near as difficult as people make them out to be, especially with NPC's. It's simply that people lack experience in them. It's not that weird to do it anyway given that we've had gyms in the anime use their own rules, and we've had double battle gyms in the games. Now, we could have four Singles, but I think only the first gym should be a standard battle, with other gyms having a unique rule-set. For example:

- Tourney Tree: Rather than a gym filled with gym trainers, you instead get to battle other trainers competing to fight the gym leader. This would even allow for an extra rival battle
    - No Items
    - Special rules: Similar to rules in facilities like the Battle Arena, where points in battle are scored in a unique fashion

I don't see the purpose of more gyms to make the game longer. That's just very artificial. Instead, Game Freak should focus on making the story in-between gyms longer by giving us more to do, and then making the post-game long as well. People seem to forget that we've had higher level curves with 8 gyms before. Gen I had them go up to 65. Gen II, despite 16 gyms, only had the strongest gyms (aside from Blue) also go up to the high fifties. Next, we have the two Unova games. BW2's initial levels were much lower than BW's, but yet, it ended with BW2's Elite 4 being at a higher level.

You know why these level curves are so variable despite 8 gyms? It's the amount of content in between. Now, unless you simply want 4 extra "weak" gyms, the solution isn't more gyms, but to increase the amount of things to do in between them.
    Last edited by The Outrage; 8th July 2012 at 02:01 PM.

8 Gyms is fine with me. This is tradition and nobody has ever had a problem with 8 Gyms before, so I see no necessary reason to switch the amount. Though, I am wanting to see previous Gyms from Unova in Generation 6. Especially Striaton City Gym.

Marukaite Chikyuu~ ShinySceptile1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I want something similar to HG/SS, where there are sixteen gyms. I just thought it was more fun.
    djulienr likes this.
    Proud Claimer of Natalya Arlovskaya, Tino Väinämöinen, and Lukas Bondevik from Hetalia~! (= ヮ=)೨

Blog Entries
    Follow voicerocker On Twitter
    Visit voicerocker's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smalllady View Post
    The badge quest has already become pretty stale. No need to drag it out with 12 or 16 gyms. Gamefreak needs to find other ways to make the games interesting.
    That's why I proposed a new format for gyms. The solution to making a stale feature more interesting isn't to increase the quantity, but to increase the quality. We're supposed to be training to be Pokemon Masters, yet we're only ever tested on one battle style and one set of rules. That's why I think the future gym formats, along with their type specialties, should also specialize in a battle format:

- Singles
    - Doubles
    - Triples
    - Rotation
    - Wonder Launcher

These battle styles are nowhere near as difficult as people make them out to be, especially with NPC's. It's simply that people lack experience in them. It's not that weird to do it anyway given that we've had gyms in the anime use their own rules, and we've had double battle gyms in the games. Now, we could have four Singles, but I think only the first gym should be a standard battle, with other gyms having a unique rule-set. For example:

- Tourney Tree: Rather than a gym filled with gym trainers, you instead get to battle other trainers competing to fight the gym leader. This would even allow for an extra rival battle
    - No Items
    - Special rules: Similar to rules in facilities like the Battle Arena, where points in battle are scored in a unique fashion

I don't see the purpose of more gyms to make the game longer. That's just very artificial. Instead, Game Freak should focus on making the story in-between gyms longer by giving us more to do, and then making the post-game long as well. People seem to forget that we've had higher level curves with 8 gyms before. Gen I had them go up to 65. Gen II, despite 16 gyms, only had the strongest gyms (aside from Blue) also go up to the high fifties. Next, we have the two Unova games. BW2's initial levels were much lower than BW's, but yet, it ended with BW2's Elite 4 being at a higher level.
    Usually when I see people suggest Gym Battles should change, they say "abandon Gyms and badges altogether", but that would be interesting to see. A Rotation or Triple Gym battles might be quite challenging if proper strategies are used by the Gym Leaders. It keeps the "collect 8 badges" quest the same but gives it something new as well.

===

As far as the actual number of gyms goes, I say 8 is a good number so keep it that way.
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

8 gyms is just the right amount. The pacing is good, and the spacing across the region is alright.

However, if there should be more gyms, then I'd like to have them as part of the post-game content, like they did with GSC and HGSS

I've always thought that there should be 10 Gyms.
    djulienr likes this.

Follow Benster404 On Twitter

I would just love to have a game where you can go to each region and challenge each gym and each elite 4 & champion. It would be a thing of beauty
    djulienr likes this.

Nice weather we're having SirOni's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Adding more gyms can be very problematic. The max amount of gyms that can be placed before the E4 without repeating types is 12 which would have all 17 types represented if the Champion specializes. This sounds fitting in some ways until we realize that the regional dex would have to be greatly expanded if each trainer is to have an appropriate and satisfying team. Of course we now have a precedent for a bigger regional dex with B2W2 but even though I haven't experienced it myself yet I'm sure that most of you will agree when I say that there were problems with the availability what with some regional dex Pokemon unavailable until after the league. More gyms would require more Pokemon. More Pokemon would require a much larger region to fit them all in. A larger region would mean a longer story, more characters, more features to develop, etc. Basically adding more badges, a fundamental change to a Pokemon game, would mean that many other things must be expanded to accommodate this change.

With that in mind adding a few more gyms (at most 2) could allow for some interesting possibilities especially when the two game format is considered. The first two generations allowed for some flexibility with which gyms to take on, even though the storylines often implied a certain order should be taken. This flexibility can be experience once again if there are 10 gyms but the player only needs to challenge 8 (whether the other 2 gyms will be available to fight or not doesn't really matter). And with the main series Pokemon games coming in pairs since the dawn of history the gyms can be split according to each game giving each one 8 gyms yet having 10 in total when no counting twice. This allows for each piece of the pair to be a more varying experience from the other (which means a better justification to buy both and more money for Gamefreak) and still keeps the games at the standard size without having to make so many changes.
    Caro: 0774-4484-9102

IGN: Antonio

URPG:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f401/cerony-urpg-66373/

I think the more gyms, the more fun. I understand that some players may find them boring but, I think that if the range would go to level 100 (being the ultimate gym), with gyms of every type and some gyms having different themes than types, it would greatly increase the variety of the games.

8 is plenty. It'd be great to have another gym league post-e4, but there should only be 8 gyms before you get there.

I think eight is an appropriate amount of Gyms. I mean, I would be fine with more, but I don't really see any reason why we should have more. There isn't a strong reason to do so.

12 is a little much, I'd go with ten. The reason is that I think it will help you train for the League.

(KING WITH PORTALS
    NOW YOU'RE THIN)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast