Monotype Runs

Thread: Monotype Runs

Default Monotype Runs

So, over the past few months I've been interested in a type of "challenge run" that I guess can best be described as the Nuzlocke Run's unknown little brother, I'm not saying its non-existent but it seems to be much less popular. I couldn't find any monotype LPs but there are about 500 million nuzlocke ones, and I only found a few threads from other Pokemon forums concerning them.

Basically, its a run through a Pokemon game where you're restricted to only one type
    Secondary types (e.g a Water/Grass Lotad if you're type is Water) are OK, and in fact you'll be relying on them to deal with your type's weakness and if you're type isn't available until later in the game (e.g Ice or Dragon) you can use your starter until your type becomes available.

I'm currently doing a Water-type run of Emerald, and currently stuck on Norman (his Pokemon can all tank hits from my water-types really well and Rock Smash is the only fighting-type move I've got access to)
    This is the team I've built:
    Marshtomp Lvl. 33 with Mud Shot, Water Gun, Take Down, and Rock Smash
    Lombre Lvl. 15 with Astonish, Growl, Absorb, and Nature Power
    Pelipper Lvl. 29 with Protect, Wing Attack, Water Gun, and Supersonic
    Azurmarill Lvl. 28 with Tackle, Bubblebeam, Rollout, and Water Gun

Basically I started this thread for help with my predicament (how to beat Norman with the above team) but I decided that wouldn't have much discussion value so here's some questions
    Have you ever done something like this?
    What type do you think would be the easiest/hardest in each gen. (either from experience or assumption)
    I admit water-type is not the hardest to use in Gen. III by a long shot, the Water/Ground type starter means Electric is taken care of and the Water/Flying type Pelliper makes Grass no problem.

Zeb
    five times in the mirror Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Default Re: Monotype Runs

I'm doing a mono Grass runthrough of HG at the moment. Mono runthroughs are a really under-appreciated type of playthrough though, and I don't know why because it can be immensly fun and challenging. I'm currently training to face Jasmine in HG now. I would be worried about it because Steel-types resist Grass, but I have Lombre who can just Surf and kill them (I hope anyway). I think it's going to get much harder now - two Dragon leaders and Team Rocket (a lot of Poison) and Koga. I'll worry about Kanto if I actually manage to defeat Lance!

I'm probably going to attempt a Psychic runthrough at some point, just so I can have an excuse to use Grumpig and Chimecho <3

I definately think more people should try them. <- The point of my entire post.
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

shhhhh.
    Blog Entries

Follow Parma on Tumblr

I have attempted a Water monotype run on Platinum, but got frustrated at Candice. That and I was getting an itch for a solo run game on Platinum at the time.

Other than certain bits [Purugly, Candice, Wake, Candice], it had moved along pretty well. That run would be classified as middle of the road.

I think that monotype runs require some knowledge of types and moves before attempting them.
    the vile, wandering one sneaks up

Fire Ferrets Forever Mako's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I've successfully done a Fire only run of FireRed (yes, this was intentional :P)

Had a squad of Charizard, Arcanine, Flareon and Moltres. (I had to cheat slightly and catch a Tentacool for surf, but I never used it in battle)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel
    Everyone has had a crush on Hips. :B

Blog Entries

my sister tried to do a mono grass type run of ruby, but gave up when she could not obtain a lotad. an HM slave did not cross her mind.

Spiderman! Spiderman! SpiderMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have thought about this sort of thing, I had a friend who did a ground-type only play through of ruby (Had to cheat a little and use mudkip till it became Marshtomp) but other than that i haven't had the want to.
    Currently Playing:
    Pokemon Gold
    Spyro The Dragon
    Lego Racers
    MW3
    Dead Island

I did a Water Monotype Run in HG, but I never finished it. I've recently decided to just restart it. I regret it because I made it up to Jasmine, but whatever. I wanted to make a better Water-type team anyway. So far, I have:

Lockjaw (Totodile)
    Issac (Wooper)

Yes, those nicknames suck, but theyre meant to :P I plan on making all of my other pokemon dual-types (like Kingdra, Lanturn, etc.)

I will definitely have more future Monotype runs!

Monotypes sounds delectable. But it seems you're kinda limited to types to get through the game with. I mean, a Normal runthrough is pretty basic and simple, and Gen III makes a Dark run through plausible (almost a good idea, considering Tate and Liza and Shiftry for Wallace/Juan). But other than that, you could fudge a Fighting run through with Torchic as your starter, and grab up the others as you bounce along.

I'd enjoy a Flying runthrough, though. Wingull as starter, and then Altaria or Salamence much later (do final types actually count, or is that cheating until then?)

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I've done it is GSC AND HGSS - solo'ing the region with Typhlosion.

Well, I have to admit I used a few HM slaves to get to certain locations... XDD