Modification of Mechanics in Moves and Abilities - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Modification of Mechanics in Moves and Abilities

Default Re: Modification of Mechanics in Moves and Abilities

Heavy Metal: The Pokemon is also immune to any moves that would move it around - Whirlwind, Sky Drop. (New Description: Doubles the Pokémon's weight and firmly anchors the body.)
    Illuminate: Now passively Increases team's accuracy each turn it is in battle. (New Description: Raises the likelihood of meeting wild Pokémon and accuracy of allies).
    Sniper: Added - non-contact moves can always target enemy Pokemon in Triple Battles regardless of positioning. (New Description: Powers up critical hits and extends range in battle).
    Telepathy: Now increases effectiveness of Protect and Detect on user and decreases it in enemies vs. user's attacks - decay rate is lessened on self and heightened on enemies. (New Description: Dodges allied attacks, increases effectiveness of blocking moves on self and decreases it on enemies.)

Hailstorm: Now heals Ice-types for the equivalent of an equipped Leftovers each turn.

Teleport: Now acts as a Psychic-type version of Volt Switch/U-Turn.

Run Away allows the user to escape from all trapping abilities, and moves, and renders the user immune to Pursuit while switching.
    This.
    Last edited by Zeta; 27th March 2013 at 08:19 PM.
    winstein and Reddigans like this.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Berry Incinerator Heatmor C. Dawson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatmor C. Dawson View Post
    It's a matter of principle.
    Principles are more important than balance?

Rain Dance is a Water type move designed to buff its generally Water-type user. Simple enough. But if it were changed to buff Electric-types instead, then Water, Flying, and Ice-type users would be hosed.
    Are Water-types entitled to an overpowered strategy because the alternative would be balance?

100% accurate Thunder is a good enough Rain Dance/Drizzle counter for me, especially if Jolteon uses it.
    Jolteon cannot fight Drizzle/Swift Swim. Even if he could (which he can't), one Pokemon still would not (and did not) make Drizzle/Swift Swim balanced (especially if you remember Kingdra).

Rain Dance does need to be fixed, but making it buff the user's primary weakness is not a good way to do it.
    In my opinion, it is a good way to do it.

My way solves the issue entirely, and makes Drizzle/Swift Swim equal to Drought/Chlorophyll.

Do you have a better suggestion? I'd like to hear it, if so.

Because simply buffing their respective base Attack/Special Attack would accomplish the same thing for every Marill/Medi-whatever, rather than just the ones that have Huge/Pure Power. Got an Azumarill with Thick Fat or Sap Sipper? Too bad! Medicham with Telepathy? Useless outside Double/Triple battles. If anything, they are useless and gimmicky already; their gimmick is Huge/Pure Power.

Keep in mind that totally removing the abilities would be the extreme option. Changing them to PMD's version would give them a one-in-three chance of a 50% damage boost with a physical move. It's a rational choice considering their best movesets use physical attacks almost exclusively. I would rather have all Azumarill/Medicham be slightly stronger via stat buff and a tweaked Ability than a few be extremely strong and the others pathetic due to an Ability like they are now.
    While I can appreciate attempting to balance alternative versions of the Pokemon, nerfing Huge/Pure Power alone would not accomplish balance of any sort, especially if it's changed to RNG-based.

This particular topic is more fitting for "Retconning Pokemon", but I'd rather have the "extreme option" be the solution. Double Azumarill/Medicham's base Attack stat, remove Huge/Pure Power as we know them. That way, all Azumarill/Medicham are equal stat wise but can vary in utility through abilities.

That's balance.

RNG-based bs isn't.
    After giving it a little more thought, your Rain Dance suggestion makes more sense than mine. I'm still not sold on Huge/Pure Power, though. I think it needs some kind of condition or caveat to make it work. For example, the ability would work its magic until the Pokemon has only half or a third of its HP left. I think that would encourage the player to use Azumarill/Medicham's superior Defense/Special Defense to keep it in good shape rather than attacking willy-nilly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heatmor C. Dawson View Post
    After giving it a little more thought, your Rain Dance suggestion makes more sense than mine.
    That's great.

I'm still not sold on Huge/Pure Power, though. I think it needs some kind of condition or caveat to make it work. For example, the ability would work its magic until the Pokemon has only half or a third of its HP left.
    So, you want to nerf something that is completely fine as is and make it horribly situational and even more susceptible to priority attacks and faster Pokemon?

You're still regulating Azumarill/Medicham to the depths of NU, and gimping their only saving grace.

Meanwhile, I'm attempting to keep both afloat and improve their usage by allowing them to keep the stat boost but have any ability they want.

I think that would encourage the player to use Azumarill/Medicham's superior Defense/Special Defense to keep it in good shape rather than attacking willy-nilly.
    Er...

Azumarill can take a hit with it's base 100 HP and decent 80/80 defenses, but Medicham can't with 60/75/75, and neither of those stat combinations are anywhere close to "superior". Average and Below Average are more fitting descriptions, and makes it appear that you think that Medicham isn't bad enough...

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." -George S. Patton
    Arceus is a false god. Only science knows the true answer.

Video Games Modegator GatoRage's Avatar Moderator
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Follow GatoRage on Tumblr

I'd like Sucker Punch and Gyro Ball to have more PP. At least 10.
    Owain and Silverwynde like this.

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by GatoRage View Post
    I'd like Sucker Punch and Gyro Ball to have more PP. At least 10.
    Maybe not on Sucker Punch, but Gyro Ball does need it.

Blog Entries

Forecast - Automatically uses a Weather-starting move in the users moveset upon switch-in. If there is more than one weather-starting move, then the first weather-starting move will be chosen. Also changes the users forme under weather.
    Cloud Nine - Completely stops any weather on switch in, and prevents Weather from being set-up while in battle.
    Rivalry - Boosts damage when fighting a Pokemon of the same gender. Pokemon of opposite genders and no gender have no effect on the damage.
    Neptune's Disciple likes this.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." -George S. Patton

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Something I was thinking long ago is how Infiltrator needs more than just bypassing Reflect, Light Screen and Safeguard. No doubt those moves are useful, but it would be even more useful if Infiltrator also disregards both Protect and Substitute (if the hit takes more HP than the Sub, then the user takes the remaining damage). This would make Infiltrator even more worth it, since it discourages stalling on the target's part, and give Seviper more use.

As for Hail and Sandstorm, their respective weather doesn't seem as immediately useful as Rain and Sun. One interesting about both moves are their PP advantage, but I think that's not what both moves need. What they need is a longer duration. Perhaps not so much for Sandstorm, but Hail would be great with it since it doesn't do much at the moment.

Anyway, I agree that Gyro Ball would be great with more PP, although I can see why this move has a low PP in the first place: it could possibly be a 150 BP attack, which is extremely strong for its accuracy.

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

Two more ability ideas.

Thick Fat: Also reduces damage taken from Hail and from Burns by half. (Think of the possible additions to Hail teams with this.)
    Cute Charm: Also automatically infatuates the opponent on switch-in.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

I'd like for Assist to boost the power of damaging moves it selects by 25%. That would offset the unreliability a bit, making it more fun to use in-game. Perhaps do the same for Metronome.

Give Vine Whip a 30% flinch chance and raise its PP to 25. A lot of Pokemon have to rely on it as their only STAB for quite some time, there's no need for it to be so terrible compared to other early game moves.

Have Incinerate inflict a guaranteed burn if it destroys a berry, and make it capable of burning Leftovers. It's laughable at the moment, even in-game.

Wild Charge would be changed to only inflict recoil on non-Electric types.

Freeze Shock and Ice Burn should have their power reduced to 130, and the charge-up turn removed.

Gluttony should be changed to provide double Leftovers recovery in addition to consuming berries earlier.

Quick Feet now prevents full paralysis in addition to neutralising the speed reduction.

Normalize now also changes the opponent's typing and moves to be Normal as well.

Forecast boosts special attack by 50% during weather (except Sand).

Shell Armor and Battle Armor cause critical hits to inflict no damage, instead of preventing them entirely.

If a Pokemon with Pickpocket is hit with a contact move while holding an item, it will knock off the opponent's item instead of stealing it.

Flare Boost now prevents Burn damage.

Mummy now has an over-world effect, wild Pokemon encountered will have a 50% chance to have the same IVs as the Mummy Pokemon if it leads the party.
    Last edited by Winterdaze; 5th April 2013 at 11:33 PM.
    winstein likes this.

Blog Entries

Always-hit moves need more power. Life Drain and multi-hit got a nice boon Gen V so why can't the same happen for the likes of swift, and as someone mentioned earlier, shadow punch?

Would also like a rebalancing of negative abilities, such as Truant and Slow Start.

Personal want: Trick Room to get a duration increase. An ability that did it could possibly be game-defining, so just increase how long it lasts for. Also, don't give it that absurd priority slot.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Regiruler View Post
    Personal want: Trick Room to get a duration increase. An ability that did it could possibly be game-defining, so just increase how long it lasts for. Also, don't give it that absurd priority slot.
    I can see them introducing an item to do this, similar to the Light Clay and weather Rocks.

Something else I'd like to see is the passive damage dealt by partial trapping moves to deal damage based on type. For example, Whirlpool would deal 6.25% damage each turn to Pokemon neutral to Water, but 12.5% to those with a weakness and 3.125% against Pokemon that resist Water. Binding Band would still double these numbers.

Bonemerang should be able to hit Fliers and Levitate users. I mean, it probably kills the whole purpose of type matchups, but it would make sense. You can throw rocks at birds for super effective damage, so why not bones for neutral damage?

And please, Grass Knot shouldn't be a contact move. It's like Gen 3 AncientPower all over again...

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Right now, Leaf Guard as an ability is a joke as far as weather based abilities go. To remedy this I propose that, in addition to its regular effect, Leaf Guard should double the user's defense stat under sunlight. Just imagine how much more useful things like Tangela, Meganium, Jumpluff, and even Leafeon (especially Leafeon) could be with a doubled up defense. These Pokemon could feasibly go from nigh forgotten to mainstays in sun teams of all kinds.

Also, either Giga Drain or Energy Ball (but not both) should have their BP boosted to 95, so that the Grass type can have a feasible counterpart to Flamethrower, Surf, Thunderbolt and Ice Beam.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Call me Robert guys 1rkhachatryan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow 1rkhachatryan On Twitter Add 1rkhachatryan on Facebook Add 1rkhachatryan on Google+
    Visit 1rkhachatryan's Youtube Channel

I think Return and Frustration are gonna get an overhaul this region. I remember reading something about Friendship having a greater effect on the battling style or something to that effect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grass Type Trainer View Post
    Right now, Leaf Guard as an ability is a joke as far as weather based abilities go. To remedy this I propose that, in addition to its regular effect, Leaf Guard should double the user's defense stat under sunlight. Just imagine how much more useful things like Tangela, Meganium, Jumpluff, and even Leafeon (especially Leafeon) could be with a doubled up defense. These Pokemon could feasibly go from nigh forgotten to mainstays in sun teams of all kinds.
    Doubling it might be too much. Keep in mind you're buffing Tangrowth and Leafeon into obscene physical tanks with 250 and 260 base defense respectively.

How about doubling Special Defense instead? Only Meganium (maybe Jumpluff and Lilligant, but Chlorophyll) could pose a problem, though there is no Pokemon with Leaf Guard and really high Special Defenses.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast