After checking the board for this type of thread, I didn't find anything related to this subject. There is the New Moves/Abilities thread, but that one is for new moves. There's also the Pokemon Retcon thread, which deals with anything that changed between generations, but I felt that putting this there would make this subject difficult to be noticed since the direction that topic is heading meant that what I am going to start is unsuitable.
So, some of the things that you would notice between Generations would be that moves and abilities have changes, usually for the better. Here are some examples:
- In Gen 2, Roar and Whirlwind forces switches.
- In Gen 4, Hypnosis had an accuracy increase to 70% (for a while).
- In Gen 4, Sandstorm gives Rock-types a Special Defence boost.
- In Gen 4, Outrage received a power boost (120 BP).
- In Gen 5, Bullet Seed received a power boost (25 BP).
- In Gen 5, Glare received an accuracy boost to 90%.
- In Gen 5, Sturdy grants the user survival on any attack that would otherwise KO them.
- In Gen 5, Stench makes the opponent flinch 10% of the time.
So my question to you now is, what modifications in the current moves would you like to see?
For me, I would like to see some of the following:
- A power boost in Mega Drain and Absorb. While they are not necessarily attacks that are attractive, this would help immensely in-game. Moreover, a Roserade with a 60 BP Mega Drain is an attractive choice due to Technician.
- Leaf Tornado could also use either a power boost (80 BP) or an increased chance of the accuracy drop, since that's the main reason that move was used in the first place.
- Astonish would have a 60% flinch chance, which would make this move attractive despite the low BP, meaning that there is a choice for those who learn this to do pinch damage while flinching most of the time. However, the only disadvantage is that Dunsparce would be the ideal user, since it already had Serene Grace to cause reliable flinching.
- Solarbeam to perform its charge on the same time Focus Punch would do, which means that if you charge it during sunlight, it will fire off the beam immediately. The advantage with this is that the next weather inducer cannot immediately switch without taking a power Grass-type attack.
- Frost Breath to have 55 BP. This would be very good to Ice-types for they have a more powerful alternative to Ice Beam.
- Scald to have no burn chance in Rain, and a higher burn chance in Sun, while reducing the default rate to 20%. It would balance this move a bit, in my opinion. Under Rain, it would be more powerful, but at least there is no risk of being burnt, but in Sun, it would be weaker but it will cast the burn more reliably. The reduction of chance is to make up for the additional effect.
- Keen Eye to provide a 30% boost in accuracy. With this, any Pokemon with Keen Eye would finally see this ability being used, such as Watchog's more reliable Hypnosis and Super Fang, or Pelipper's perfect Hydro Pump hit and reliable Hurricane.
- Big Pecks to provide an intrinsic Defence boost (1.5x) to make up for the lack of auto-defence reduction. This would make Mandibuzz more annoying, that's for sure, but it would help out Pidgeot.
- Leaf Guard to provide damage reduction in Sun (25%) in addition to its current effect, to put it on par with Hydration's ability to allow the user to use Rest without repercussions in Rain.
So again, I ask, what modification in moves or abilities do you predict?
Thanks for reading.