(Mod Note: Read First Post! Updated 6/1/13) Game Freak "expanding Pokémon world" - Page 14

View Poll Results: What do you want and what do you expect?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • I expect and want Gen. VI

    61 49.19%
  • I expect and want R/S remalkes

    16 12.90%
  • I expect Gen. VI, but I'd like R/S remakes

    35 28.23%
  • I expect R/S remakes, but I want Gen. VI

    3 2.42%
  • I expect some spinoff game for Wii U or something like that

    8 6.45%
  • I don't expect it will be anything important at all

    1 0.81%
Page 14 of 92 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 1376
Like Tree567Likes

Thread: (Mod Note: Read First Post! Updated 6/1/13) Game Freak "expanding Pokémon world"

  1. #196
    Time Traveler Silktree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,396
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Game Freak promise to expand the Pokémon world next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    I didn't say that's what I think, I said it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. How else would you explain it?
    Explain what? The fact that they created four event-exclusive legendaries for a 3-year generation? It's unprecedented, but it is hardly that bizarre. They just went overboard with the legendaries. I wouldn't say that there is anything wrong with how Meloetta was showcased or how Genesect will be showcased.

    And no, it wouldn't have made a difference at all. It didn't matter between Crystal and RS or Emerald and DP, so why would it have been any different with HGSS and BW? There's always been 2 years between a primary pair and the next games and no one flips the table.
    Was any generation five years long? No. HGSS were released three years into Generaton IV; some people had already grown had tired of the generation. If the gap between HGSS and Black and White had been longer, the veteran fans who returned owing to the remakes may have very well lost interest again.

    GameFreak might not have been able to make a game that fully used the 3DS to its potential in that time, but they certainly would have been able to port BW to the 3DS and slap on a couple of features (not saying I would have preferred that, but I'm sure Nintendo would have preferred a Pokémon game with a "3DS" banner on the box).
    I refuse to entertain such a terrible idea.

  2. #197
    Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    10,989
    Blog Entries
    15
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Game Freak promise to expand the Pokémon world next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    I didn't say that's what I think, I said it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. How else would you explain it?
    Explain what? The fact that they created four event-exclusive legendaries for a 3-year generation? It's unprecedented, but it is hardly that bizarre. They just went overboard with the legendaries. I wouldn't say that there is anything wrong with how Meloetta was showcased or how Genesect will be showcased.
    You would have that you know...for a three year generation they would have erm...made three legendaries and not revealed all but one of those in the same year? At the very least, they could have revealed Keldeo last year and had 2 a year...that wouldn't have been as weird. They obviously had a plan of some kind and it went tits up.

    And no, it wouldn't have made a difference at all. It didn't matter between Crystal and RS or Emerald and DP, so why would it have been any different with HGSS and BW? There's always been 2 years between a primary pair and the next games and no one flips the table.
    Was any generation five years long? No. HGSS were released three years into Generaton IV; some people had already grown had tired of the generation. If the gap between HGSS and Black and White had been longer, the veteran fans who returned owing to the remakes may have very well lost interest again.
    Was any generation launched on the same console as the generation before it? Did any generation have sequels instead of a third version before? Did any generation not have a 3D battling simulator before? Generation V was the "Throw everything out of the window" generation so it wouldn't have surprised me at all. Besides, I've never said that there would have 100% been a year gap - they might have even planned, heaven forbid, RS remakes or something. Who knows?

    Also, is there any evidence that there would have been such a crash of interest if there was a few more months between HGSS and BW? Also, you say "some people had already grown tired of the generation"...really? Because I didn't see anything suggesting that.

    GameFreak might not have been able to make a game that fully used the 3DS to its potential in that time, but they certainly would have been able to port BW to the 3DS and slap on a couple of features (not saying I would have preferred that, but I'm sure Nintendo would have preferred a Pokémon game with a "3DS" banner on the box).
    I refuse to entertain such a terrible idea.
    Did I ever say it would have been a good idea? Nope. A 3DS main series Pokémon game might certainly have help avoid the almost disastrous launch of the 3DS though because regardless of whether it looked like a DS game with a few tweaks or a full 3D game, we would have bought it, as would millions of other fans, as well as a shiny new 3DS to play it on.

  3. #198
    Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,021
    Blog Entries
    341

    Default Re: Game Freak promise to expand the Pokémon world next year

    I think they've had plenty of time...there's a decent amount of 3DS games out now that use it to acceptable levels of its potential, there's no excuse GameFreak should have for not being able to create a great game.

  4. #199
    Time Traveler Silktree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,396
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Game Freak promise to expand the Pokémon world next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    You would have that you know...for a three year generation they would have erm...made three legendaries and not revealed all but one of those in the same year? At the very least, they could have revealed Keldeo last year and had 2 a year...that wouldn't have been as weird. They obviously had a plan of some kind and it went tits up.
    It is really not that big a deal. Victini was featured in 2011 and Genesect will be featured next year, but they were both revealed early to accommodate Wi-Fi events for newly released games. Keldeo wasn't distributed in 2011 because there was no room for it in Movie 14, and there was no important game released that year that would have warranted a Wi-Fi event.

    Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect being released in the same year only indicates that 2013 will be largely about Generation VI. It doesn't mean that there was a change of plans.

    Besides, I've never said that there would have 100% been a year gap - they might have even planned, heaven forbid, RS remakes or something. Who knows?
    We're having this discussion because you didn't agree that the added year would have made a difference. Come on now.

    Regardless of any additional games that might have been released, I'm certain that at the very least the Generation IV games would have made better use of the DS features. It is obvious that Game Freak didn't go all the way because they wanted to leave room for innovation in another DS-based generation.

    Also, is there any evidence that there would have been such a crash of interest if there was a few more months between HGSS and BW?
    I'm talking about a difference of at least a year. The six-month scenario would have opened a different can of worms as it would have required lazily passing off DS games as 3DS ones.

    Also, you say "some people had already grown tired of the generation"...really? Because I didn't see anything suggesting that.
    It was easy to miss considering that the Generation V hype was underway shortly after HGSS' release.

    Did I ever say it would have been a good idea? Nope. A 3DS main series Pokémon game might certainly have help avoid the almost disastrous launch of the 3DS though because regardless of whether it looked like a DS game with a few tweaks or a full 3D game, we would have bought it, as would millions of other fans.
    It would have been the wrong move to make. Nothing disastrous happened as a result of the 3DS' lackluster first few months, but Generation V would have been adversely affected had people been forced to buy a new console for little to no justifiable reason.
    Last edited by Silktree; 31st December 2012 at 03:39 PM.

  5. #200
    Winged man prefers night Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Rage City
    Posts
    1,213
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Game Freak promise to expand the Pokémon world next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro ~ Bajeena View Post
    I think they've had plenty of time...there's a decent amount of 3DS games out now that use it to acceptable levels of its potential, there's no excuse GameFreak should have for not being able to create a great game.
    You don't know anything about a game development, eh?

    Me verás volar por la ciudad de la furia...
    - Pokémon games are like boobs; designed for children, but more enjoyed by adults. (Someone on twitter)

  6. #201
    Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    10,989
    Blog Entries
    15
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Game Freak promise to expand the Pokémon world next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Nothing disastrous happened as a result of the 3DS' lackluster first few months.
    Except that Nintendo reported a financial loss for the first time ever, Satoru Iwata and other senior Nintendo figures had to take pay cuts of up to 50% and following the announcement of the price cut, due to the huge drop in share prices, Hiroshi Yamauchi (Nintendo's 3rd President) lost 24.2 Billion yen overnight ($312 Million), not to mention Nintendo losing a lot of face (people are still waiting for a Wii U price cut).
    Yeah, "nothing" disastrous happened.

    but Generation V would have been adversely affected had people been forced to buy a new console for little to no justifiable reason.
    The biggest cited reason for the mediocre launch of the 3DS was the launch titles - the only Nintendo games available on launch day were Pilotwings Resort, Nintendogs + Cats and in some regions, Steel Diver. A must have title like Pokémon would have propelled launch sales of the 3DS. There are people today bitching about how they don't want Gen VI to be on the 3DS because they don't own one...but y'know what? The "No 3DS" complainers will have to shut up and buy one one day if they want to continue playing. I personally know many people who bought a 3DS mainly for Pokémon and those who are holding off on buying one until there is a main series Pokémon game on one.

    Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect being released in the same year only indicates that 2013 will be largely about Generation VI. It doesn't mean that there was a change of plans.
    Yeah, because Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus were all revealed in the same year weren't they? Oh wait...
    Also, no room for Keldeo in Victini's people? Please tell me how the movie writers cared about cramming Celebi, Zorua, Zoroark, Entei, Raikou and Suicune into one movie.

    Personally, I would have left Victini out of 2011's movie (having it in the anime instead), with Keldeo as the main star of the 2011 movie, with Meloetta as 2012's main movie star and Genesect as 2013's (along with a Gen VI Pokémon? Have to give something away to kids before a Gen VI game drops). Maybe then I might have believed that it was all planned from the start, but we had Victini taking the end of 2010 and then 2011 all to itself, with Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect quickly pushed out during 2012.

    Regardless of any additional games that might have been released, I'm certain that at the very least the Generation IV games would have made better use of the DS features. It is obvious that Game Freak didn't go all the way because they wanted to leave room for innovation in another DS-based generation.
    And you're telling me that some of my theories are baseless?

    It was easy to miss considering that the Generation V hype was underway shortly after HGSS' release.
    It was easy to miss because it wasn't there. Even if there were a few people moaning online, that isn't representative of the millions of young children who are Nintendo and GameFreak's target audience.
    Last edited by Joshawott; 31st December 2012 at 03:51 PM.

  7. #202
    Time Traveler Silktree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,396
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Game Freak promise to expand the Pokémon world next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Nothing disastrous happened as a result of the 3DS' lackluster first few months.
    Except that Nintendo reported a financial loss for the first time ever, Satoru Iwata and other senior Nintendo figures had to take pay cuts of up to 50% and following the announcement of the price cut, due to the huge drop in share prices, Hiroshi Yamauchi (Nintendo's 3rd President) lost 24.2 Billion yen overnight ($312 Million), not to mention Nintendo losing a lot of face (people are still waiting for a Wii U price cut).
    Yeah, "nothing" disastrous happened.
    Putting the blame on Game Freak is nothing short of silliness. Nintendo handled the launch of the previous systems without relying on Pokémon games.

    Yeah, because Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus were all revealed in the same year weren't they? Oh wait...
    Your point being? There is nothing weird about things being done differently this time around. The Wi-Fi events have a lot to do with it.

    If you don't really believe that this generation was supposed to last four years, please stop arguing about this.

    And you're telling me that some of my theories are baseless?
    Excuse me? The Generation V games prove that the Generation IV games could have been better. There is nothing baseless about that.

    It was easy to miss because it wasn't there. Even if there were a few people moaning online, that isn't representative of the millions of young children who are Nintendo and GameFreak's target audience.
    And you have no way of determining how the target audience would have reacted to prolonging Generation IV with nothing to extend it. So let's just drop this.

  8. #203
    Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    10,989
    Blog Entries
    15
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Game Freak promise to expand the Pokémon world next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Nothing disastrous happened as a result of the 3DS' lackluster first few months.
    Except that Nintendo reported a financial loss for the first time ever, Satoru Iwata and other senior Nintendo figures had to take pay cuts of up to 50% and following the announcement of the price cut, due to the huge drop in share prices, Hiroshi Yamauchi (Nintendo's 3rd President) lost 24.2 Billion yen overnight ($312 Million), not to mention Nintendo losing a lot of face (people are still waiting for a Wii U price cut).
    Yeah, "nothing" disastrous happened.
    Putting the blame on Game Freak is nothing short of silliness. Nintendo handled the launch of the previous systems without relying on Pokémon games.
    I never said I was blaming GameFreak or Pokémon. You made a blanket statement that said that the Nintendo 3DS' poor launch had no ill effects. Certainly, the lack of any solid first or second party launch titles in general could be partially blamed though (Nintendogs and Pilotwings don't count).

    Yeah, because Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus were all revealed in the same year weren't they? Oh wait...
    Your point being? There is nothing weird about things being done differently this time around. The Wi-Fi events have a lot to do with it.
    Except that out of Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect...only one of those was a Wi-Fi event.

    If you don't really believe that this generation was supposed to last four years, please stop arguing about this.
    I'm sorry master. I had no idea that I had to conform to your wise and obviously true opinion. I've always said that the new generation is coming in 2013 and you know that. All I'm saying is, that it's possible that originally wasn't planned to be the case.

    And you're telling me that some of my theories are baseless?
    Excuse me? The Generation V games prove that the Generation IV games could have been better. There is nothing baseless about that.

    But it doesn't prove that GameFreak were holding back features for Gen V, which is what you were suggesting. The main reason GameFreak wanted to stick to the DS was because of the massive popularity the handheld had. From the Iwata Asks on Black/White:
    Yes. I had always wanted to make a second generation of games for the Nintendo DS. Because the Nintendo DS has spread around the world to such an amazing degree.
    And the reasons why the games are better, was because for this generation, they claim to have completely changed their approach when planning them. Not because they were holding features back:
    Masuda: Since this generation would be presented on the same system, I was extremely worried that it would turn out to be basically the same as its predecessor. If we tried to make it the same way as normal, I thought the games would turn out to be similar to Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl.
    Iwata: Because you’re so used to making them.
    Masuda: Right. So we started by changing our basic approach.
    (It's also interesting to see how in the footnotes, Nintendo define the generations in the same way we do. So it's not a fandom thing. Thought it was worth a mention as I often see that argument thrown around. Just an observation as I read the article myself)

  9. #204
    among all things Pyroar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Thats for me to know
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Game Freak promise to expand the Pokémon world next year

    If anything, I would prefer sequels to RSE over remakes, just so a new story can be built upon.
    The Network and Kwame120 like this.

  10. #205
    Time Traveler Silktree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,396
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Game Freak promise to expand the Pokémon world next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    Except that out of Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect...only one of those was a Wi-Fi event.
    You do remember Victini, right? If it hadn't existed, Keldeo would have presumably been featured in Movie 14 and previously distributed via Wi-Fi.

    I'm sorry master. I had no idea that I had to conform to your wise and obviously true opinion. I've always said that the new generation is coming in 2013 and you know that. All I'm saying is, that it's possible that originally wasn't planned to be the case.
    You are making a big deal about the distributions even though you don't really believe that Game Freak's plans changed. It seems to me that you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

    And the reasons why the games are better, was because for this generation, they claim to have completely changed their approach when planning them. Not because they were holding features back:
    The improved graphics and Wi-Fi features have everything to do with holding things back. "We changed our approach" is just a more convenient way of describing the situation. They could have changed their approach during Generation IV if that had been the end of the DS series.
    Last edited by Silktree; 31st December 2012 at 04:45 PM.

  11. #206
    Lurker Zistal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    417

    Default Re: Game Freak promise to expand the Pokémon world next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Keldeo wasn't distributed in 2011 because there was no room for it in Movie 14
    I'd say the reason it wasn't in M14 is because they wanted to save it for M15, not because there wasn't any room for it. Meloetta seems to have been considered, well, trash that wasn't worth giving a movie (no offense to Meloetta fans).

  12. #207
    Time Traveler Silktree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,396
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Game Freak promise to expand the Pokémon world next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Zistal View Post
    I'd say the reason it wasn't in M14 is because they wanted to save it for M15, not because there wasn't any room for it.
    I'd say it's both. There wouldn't have been room for Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom and the Musketeer quartet even between the two movie versions.

    I actually don't see how Meloetta is worse than Victini in terms of carrying a movie.

  13. #208
    Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,021
    Blog Entries
    341

    Default Re: Game Freak promise to expand the Pokémon world next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro ~ Bajeena View Post
    I think they've had plenty of time...there's a decent amount of 3DS games out now that use it to acceptable levels of its potential, there's no excuse GameFreak should have for not being able to create a great game.
    You don't know anything about a game development, eh?
    I don't get what you mean.

    Why should GameFreak be unable to put out a decent 3DS game when other developers have already done so? They're a decent sized corporation with multiple employees who can clearly juggle different projects at once, considering how we had Platinum, Heart Gold/Soul Silver, and Black and White released back-to-back over the course of just three years, and I don't see how my knowledge of game development should be questioned for expecting they should be able to create a decent 3DS entry at this point in time?

  14. #209
    Lurker Zistal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    417

    Default Re: Game Freak promise to expand the Pokémon world next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    I'd say it's both. There wouldn't have been room for Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom and the Musketeer quartet even between the two movie versions.
    Where there is a will, there is a way. If they really wanted too, they could have pulled another M10 and dumped the normal Musketeer trio to make room. Not exactly the best idea, but it could have worked.

  15. #210
    Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    10,989
    Blog Entries
    15
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Game Freak promise to expand the Pokémon world next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    Except that out of Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect...only one of those was a Wi-Fi event.
    You do remember Victini, right? If it hadn't existed, Keldeo would have presumably been featured in Movie 14 and previously distributed via Wi-Fi.
    You keep on talking about the Wi-Fi distributions as if every Mythical Pokémon was. Sure, Victini was given out over Wi-Fi, but during the year where 3 Mythical Pokémon were released, only one of them was a Wi-Fi distribution.

    And the reasons why the games are better, was because for this generation, they claim to have completely changed their approach when planning them. Not because they were holding features back:
    The improved graphics and Wi-Fi features have everything to do with holding things back. "We changed our approach" is just a more convenient way of describing the situation. They could have changed their approach during Generation IV if that had been the end of the DS series.
    In the same way that me saying "I drove to work" is a more convenient way of saying "I like butter on my toast" right? They're two completely different things.

    Also, improved Wi-Fi features? Are you kidding me? It's the same as Black/White. The only difference is a 1 hour punishment for people who disconnect (which hasn't helped matters at all). And graphics? Not really. I actually thought HeartGold/SoulSilver looked better.

Page 14 of 92 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 6th January 2013, 07:09 AM
  2. 6th January 2013, 05:52 AM
  3. 1st January 2013, 06:46 AM
  4. 31st December 2012, 05:21 AM
  5. 27th December 2012, 03:04 PM
  6. 26th December 2012, 01:59 PM
  7. 25th December 2012, 05:19 PM
  8. 25th December 2012, 03:51 PM
  9. 25th December 2012, 01:41 PM
  10. 25th December 2012, 09:44 AM
  11. 25th December 2012, 04:02 AM
  12. 25th December 2012, 03:54 AM
  13. 25th December 2012, 03:51 AM
  14. 24th December 2012, 02:18 PM
  15. 24th December 2012, 01:48 PM
  16. 23rd December 2012, 03:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •