Mewtwo's Role - Page 4

View Poll Results: Do you think the revealed Mewtwo look-alike is a Mewtwo forme or a new Pokémon?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Mewtwo forme

    39 54.17%
  • A new Pokémon

    33 45.83%
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 366
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Mewtwo's Role

  1. #46
    Cute Combatant Niji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Miami City (not Florida)
    Posts
    1,598
    Blog Entries
    61

    Follow Niji on Tumblr

    Default Re: Mewtwo's Role

    I seriously had an hour-long spaz-attack when I heard about Mewtwo having a part in the 16th movie :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD ! It freaking rocks! I hope it has a good part ^-^ !
    The_Doctor and Miles101 like this.

  2. #47
    Akromatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,341

    Default Re: Mewtwo's Role

    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    (however, considering how much Gen V mixed things up, who knows how much Gen VI will do that? Especially with the sheer number of legendaries we have now).
    Exactly. We don't need 13 more legendaries.
    But we do need the mascots (2) the two trios (6) the cute legendary (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin and Victini. It's basically a pattern now) (1) and the future mascot (all the third games- even B2W2 with Kyreum) (at least 1). That's 10 legendaries. Sure, the future mascot thing might not happen, but that's still 9.

  3. #48
    Time Traveler Silktree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,396
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Mewtwo's Role

    Quote Originally Posted by Poko907 View Post
    But we do need the mascots (2) the two trios (6) the cute legendary (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin and Victini. It's basically a pattern now) (1) and the future mascot (all the third games- even B2W2 with Kyreum) (at least 1). That's 10 legendaries. Sure, the future mascot thing might not happen, but that's still 9.
    Two trios? I don't know what you mean by that, since you counted the version mascots separately. Granted, we did get the Kami trio in addition to the Musketeers, but that is not a pattern nor is it remotely necessary. This reduces your count to 7 or 6.

    At any rate, my opinion is that any future event Pokémon or even mascots shouldn't be included in X and Y to begin with, but rather be added via DLC when they are actually relevant. If that is the case, X and Y only "need" to introduce five legendaries, which is to say one legendary trio in addition to Xerneas and Yveltal.
    Owain likes this.

  4. #49
    We all change The_Doctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    On the internetz
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: Mewtwo's Role

    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Poko907 View Post
    But we do need the mascots (2) the two trios (6) the cute legendary (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin and Victini. It's basically a pattern now) (1) and the future mascot (all the third games- even B2W2 with Kyreum) (at least 1). That's 10 legendaries. Sure, the future mascot thing might not happen, but that's still 9.
    Two trios? I don't know what you mean by that, since you counted the version mascots separately. Granted, we did get the Kami trio in addition to the Musketeers, but that is not a pattern nor is it remotely necessary. This reduces your count to 7 or 6.

    At any rate, my opinion is that any future event Pokémon or even mascots shouldn't be included in X and Y to begin with, but rather be added via DLC when they are actually relevant. If that is the case, X and Y only "need" to introduce five legendaries, which is to say one legendary trio in addition to Xerneas and Yveltal.
    Yes, and it better be free DLC.

    They really do need to slow down on legendaries. I think they went a bit crazy with gens 4 and 5. Especially 5. I'd like a maximum of 7 or 8 once the 6th gen is over.

  5. #50
    Akromatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,341

    Default Re: Mewtwo's Role

    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Poko907 View Post
    But we do need the mascots (2) the two trios (6) the cute legendary (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin and Victini. It's basically a pattern now) (1) and the future mascot (all the third games- even B2W2 with Kyreum) (at least 1). That's 10 legendaries. Sure, the future mascot thing might not happen, but that's still 9.
    Two trios? I don't know what you mean by that, since you counted the version mascots separately. Granted, we did get the Kami trio in addition to the Musketeers, but that is not a pattern nor is it remotely necessary. This reduces your count to 7 or 6.

    At any rate, my opinion is that any future event Pokémon or even mascots shouldn't be included in X and Y to begin with, but rather be added via DLC when they are actually relevant. If that is the case, X and Y only "need" to introduce five legendaries, which is to say one legendary trio in addition to Xerneas and Yveltal.
    What about offline players? A major part of Pokemon is the fact that it's portable. With the need to have WiFi, players in cars or players without WiFi would suffer a life with NO LEGENDARIES.
    Legendaries are like a fun little side quest with a promising award. Taking that away...

  6. #51
    Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Straight Outta Africa
    Posts
    3,178

    Default Re: Mewtwo's Role

    Quote Originally Posted by Poko907 View Post
    What about offline players? A major part of Pokemon is the fact that it's portable. With the need to have WiFi, players in cars or players without WiFi would suffer a life with NO LEGENDARIES.
    Legendaries are like a fun little side quest with a promising award. Taking that away...
    The same exact issue already exists and has existed from the start for players without access to specific stores and what have you. Playing on the go wouldn't stop you from getting a DLC legendary any more than going to a gamestop and getting one does. They've already transitioned to doing most of the event legendaries over wifi instead of in store. Doing them as DLC would just make it more interesting because their data wouldn't have to be in the game at the start. We could actually be surprised two years after game release when a new legendary is announced to be in an upcoming film. We aren't saying all legendaries should be event ones. Just that there is no need for 10+ new legendaries just hanging out in the game.

  7. #52
    Time Traveler Silktree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,396
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Mewtwo's Role

    So the movie trailer ended with a tantalizing tagline saying that "we don't know the real Mewtwo yet". I have seen two kinds of reaction to this: Speculation about a new Forme, or about a personality shift. The thing that bothers me is that most people seem to think that the only way Mewtwo could have something new in the games is by gaining a new Forme, as if the apparent personality change couldn't be relevant to the games. It very well could, which brings me back to my original post:

    While a movie-related download could work, Mewtwo has already been distributed in the current generation. It would be far better if it were catchable in X and Y and had some connection to the main story. I am particularly interested in seeing Mr. Fuji again, who is by far one of the most enigmatic characters in the series. Not only could Mewtwo's real origin story be finally told in full, but I could also see a connection to the new bonding feature. Dr. Fuji may have created Mewtwo solely for battling, but Mr. Fuji clearly doesn't see Pokémon that way. No doubt Mr. Fuji would want Mewtwo to finally find a trainer that could manage to open its heart and earn its trust.
    I think that Mewtwo could benefit from the new bonding system. Granted, Mewtwo's stats and moves don't need to be perfected, but its ability does. Perhaps one of the perks of the bonding system will involve unlocking hidden abilities. Unnerve is a mediocre ability that is inferior to Pressure; I think that Unnerve Mewtwo should stay unobtainable and that Mewtwo should get a signature ability in Generation VI that is actually useful. What is it that Mewtwo is currently lacking?

    Mewtwo is a Pokémon that was created by genetic manipulation. However, even though the scientific power of humans created this Pokémon's body, they failed to endow Mewtwo with a compassionate heart.
    What Mewtwo needs is compassion, so that's exactly what I would call its hypothetical new ability. In the movie, Mewtwo understands Genesect's grief due to having experienced a similar fate, and yet he still confronts them because he feels compassion for everyone. In the games, Mewtwo would have to get some help before it could change its savage ways. As far as we know, Mewtwo's encounters with Red and Ethan didn't have a deep impact on him, perhaps because he still hadn't come to terms with his past.

    At any rate, there are numerous possibilities for Compassion's battle effect. One idea I have is an automatic Psych Up, which would be very useful but not broken by Uber standards.
    Last edited by Silktree; 7th March 2013 at 04:31 PM.

  8. #53
    We all change The_Doctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    On the internetz
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: Mewtwo's Role

    Quote Originally Posted by Poko907 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Poko907 View Post
    But we do need the mascots (2) the two trios (6) the cute legendary (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin and Victini. It's basically a pattern now) (1) and the future mascot (all the third games- even B2W2 with Kyreum) (at least 1). That's 10 legendaries. Sure, the future mascot thing might not happen, but that's still 9.
    Two trios? I don't know what you mean by that, since you counted the version mascots separately. Granted, we did get the Kami trio in addition to the Musketeers, but that is not a pattern nor is it remotely necessary. This reduces your count to 7 or 6.

    At any rate, my opinion is that any future event Pokémon or even mascots shouldn't be included in X and Y to begin with, but rather be added via DLC when they are actually relevant. If that is the case, X and Y only "need" to introduce five legendaries, which is to say one legendary trio in addition to Xerneas and Yveltal.
    What about offline players? A major part of Pokemon is the fact that it's portable. With the need to have WiFi, players in cars or players without WiFi would suffer a life with NO LEGENDARIES.
    Legendaries are like a fun little side quest with a promising award. Taking that away...
    So what? It's been like that for a loooooong time. I didn't obtain an event legendary until Generation IV due to lack of resources/knowledge/help/etc. There have always been people that miss out on event legends and there probably always will be. It's not that big of a deal anyways. Just because some people (probably a minority) don't have access to any distribution legends isn't a good reason to utilize the feature anyways. It's been that way forever, so some people missing out is nothing new.

    My only concern is the cost of this DLC (better be free dammit)

  9. #54
    I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    With Feliciano, my true love
    Posts
    35,471
    Blog Entries
    256

    Default Re: Mewtwo's Role

    Calling it right now that Mewtwo is a bonus boss you can find on top of a skyscraper in the biggest city in the game, but only at nighttime.
    Silverwynde likes this.

    Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

  10. #55
    Time Traveler Silktree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,396
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Mewtwo's Role

    There is a "Coming Soon" tag on Mewtwo's event page. I know that some people are speculating about a Mewtwo Forme or an in-game Mewtwo vs. Genesect event, but hopefully Game Freak will do something actually worthwhile that makes sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakeshi View Post
    Calling it right now that Mewtwo is a bonus boss you can find on top of a skyscraper in the biggest city in the game, but only at nighttime.
    That seems unlikely considering that Mewtwo will be distributed just a few months before the games' release. While an in-game event seems likely, a Mewtwo capture would make the event Mewtwo somewhat redundant (although it does have maximum IVs in Speed and Special Attack).

    Perhaps there will also be a DLC event down the road to make Mewtwo directly catchable. It seems that the original plan for Arceus was to distribute the Azure Flute after HGSS' release, which would have triggered a second event in the Sinjoh Ruins. I don't know why that plan was scrapped.
    Last edited by Silktree; 17th March 2013 at 03:11 AM.

  11. #56
    Simpler times ahead
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,366
    Blog Entries
    164

    Default Re: Mewtwo's Role

    That coming soon will likely be for the X Y effects of the mewtwo being transferred over. I hope it means that next month is gonna bring it.
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

    I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

  12. #57
    Cop. Cop! yay Cop... qq Zexy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    2,063
    Blog Entries
    150

    Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Mewtwo's Role

    Gen 6 is about genetics. I guess Mewtwo will have its importance to the plot, and also be catchable (like Kyurem in BW).
    Main showcase will still go to Xerneas/Yveltal though.

    I got a scum result on that bush! LYNCH IT LYNCH IT LYNCH IT!

  13. #58
    Lurker Zistal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    417

    Default Re: Mewtwo's Role

    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    There is a "Coming Soon" tag on Mewtwo's event page. I know that some people are speculating about a Mewtwo Forme or an in-game Mewtwo vs. Genesect event, but hopefully Game Freak will do something actually worthwhile that makes sense.
    Why not have something worthwhile and a VS Genesect encounter? Two events in one; twice as much value. Also, there could be a unique theme made for the battle like how Deoxys and Arceus got special music. More good themes is always a plus.

    Perhaps there will also be a DLC event down the road to make Mewtwo directly catchable. It seems that the original plan for Arceus was to distribute the Azure Flute after HGSS' release, which would have triggered a second event in the Sinjoh Ruins. I don't know why that plan was scrapped.
    The world may never know why it was scrapped. Perhaps they thought it would be redundant with Arceus already distributed and out of focus, or that it would have been pointless to distribute something that doesn't tie-in with the then upcoming fifth generation.

  14. #59
    Time Traveler Silktree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,396
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Mewtwo's Role

    Quote Originally Posted by Zistal View Post
    Why not have something worthwhile and a VS Genesect encounter? Two events in one; twice as much value. Also, there could be a unique theme made for the battle like how Deoxys and Arceus got special music. More good themes is always a plus.
    Because in my book, something worthwhile would be an event about Mewtwo's game story. A Genesect encounter would just be a reference to the movie, since I doubt that the shiny Genesect is more canon than the shiny legendary beasts were.

  15. #60
    Akromatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,341

    Default Re: Mewtwo's Role

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Poko907 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Poko907 View Post
    But we do need the mascots (2) the two trios (6) the cute legendary (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin and Victini. It's basically a pattern now) (1) and the future mascot (all the third games- even B2W2 with Kyreum) (at least 1). That's 10 legendaries. Sure, the future mascot thing might not happen, but that's still 9.
    Two trios? I don't know what you mean by that, since you counted the version mascots separately. Granted, we did get the Kami trio in addition to the Musketeers, but that is not a pattern nor is it remotely necessary. This reduces your count to 7 or 6.

    At any rate, my opinion is that any future event Pokémon or even mascots shouldn't be included in X and Y to begin with, but rather be added via DLC when they are actually relevant. If that is the case, X and Y only "need" to introduce five legendaries, which is to say one legendary trio in addition to Xerneas and Yveltal.
    What about offline players? A major part of Pokemon is the fact that it's portable. With the need to have WiFi, players in cars or players without WiFi would suffer a life with NO LEGENDARIES.
    Legendaries are like a fun little side quest with a promising award. Taking that away...
    So what? It's been like that for a loooooong time. I didn't obtain an event legendary until Generation IV due to lack of resources/knowledge/help/etc. There have always been people that miss out on event legends and there probably always will be. It's not that big of a deal anyways. Just because some people (probably a minority) don't have access to any distribution legends isn't a good reason to utilize the feature anyways. It's been that way forever, so some people missing out is nothing new.

    My only concern is the cost of this DLC (better be free dammit)
    Yeah, I know, just I don't want all the legendaries that aren't on the title screen be a DLC.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •