Mewtwo's Role - Page 21

View Poll Results: Do you think the revealed Mewtwo look-alike is a Mewtwo forme or a new Pokémon?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Mewtwo forme

39 54.17%
  • A new Pokémon

33 45.83%
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Mewtwo's Role

Default Re: Mewtwo's Role

Even though N released his dragon we don't know the fate of Hilda/Hilbert's Reshiram/Zekrom. Maybe Mewtwo's the same way. Let's say Red never caught it or let it go and Ethan/Lyra ended up catching it in HG/SS. But we will never know for sure unless any of those characters show up later on down the line and tell us in their own words what happened to it.

So right now it's pretty much Schrodinger's clone cat. Was it caught in canon? Was it not caught in canon? Is this some other Mewtwo if it was caught in canon? So until proven otherwise (in somewhere that isn't the anime) Newmew is fully open to interpretation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Charm View Post
    So right now it's pretty much Schrodinger's clone cat. Was it caught in canon? Was it not caught in canon?
    That doesn't even matter since nothing prevents it from being involved in another story either way. But I will say that since we know Red didn't catch it (or at least didn't keep it), I doubt that Ethan/Lyra did.

Is this some other Mewtwo if it was caught in canon? So until proven otherwise (in somewhere that isn't the anime) Newmew is fully open to interpretation.
    You can interpret it however you like, but riddle me this: Why would "Newmew" be a Mewtwo Forme if it were another individual? Wouldn't it make far more sense to treat it as a new species?

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    That doesn't even matter since nothing prevents it from being involved in another story either way. But I will say that since we know Red didn't catch it (or at least didn't keep it), I doubt that Ethan/Lyra did.
    My idea is Red could have felt sorry for it and let it go. Maybe Ethan/Lyra, not knowing the full story of Mewtwo's creation, decided to catch it under the assumption that it was just a normal pokemon and kept it.

If Ethan/Lyra didn't catch it, then there's as much of a possibility that it's still in the cave as much as there's one of it being in some other region. We still don't know for sure unless those characters pop up again somewhere.

You can interpret it however you like, but riddle me this: Why would "Newmew" be a Mewtwo Forme if it were another individual? Wouldn't it make far more sense to treat it as a new species?
    Because it would still technically be a forme of another Mewtwo not THE Mewtwo. Like I said before...there's still the possibility of other people than Fuji that were researching Mew and making clones of it. Maybe these hypothetical other people tried creating their own Mewtwo based on Fuji's notes, and thus Kalos!Mewtwo was born. But Kalos!Mewtwo wasn't a stable enough clone and ended up taking on a new forme because of this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Charm View Post
    Maybe Ethan/Lyra, not knowing the full story of Mewtwo's creation, decided to catch it under the assumption that it was just a normal pokemon and kept it.
    That would be a pretty anticlimactic end to the story, don't you think?

If Ethan/Lyra didn't catch it, then there's as much of a possibility that it's still in the cave as much as there's one of it being in some other region.
    You have to look it from Game Freak's point of view rather than through a Schrödinger's cat thought experiment. Is this game taking place in Kalos or Kanto? Will Mewtwo be in this game? Does the official website reference the original Mewtwo? Have we seen legendaries leave their regions before? Have we seen Mewtwo leave Cerulean Cave before? Given the answers to these questions, there should be a factual reason to think that Mewtwo has been replaced by a new version, and the movie isn't that reason due to the anime's track record.

Because it would still technically be a forme of another Mewtwo not THE Mewtwo. Like I said before...there's still the possibility of other people than Fuji that were researching Mew and making clones of it. Maybe these hypothetical other people tried creating their own Mewtwo based on Fuji's notes, and thus Kalos!Mewtwo was born. But Kalos!Mewtwo wasn't a stable enough clone and ended up taking on a new forme because of this.
    That doesn't answer my question. Why would Game Freak think that creating a second Mewtwo with a new Forme is a better idea than simply treating the Forme as a new species? That would be the simplest way of distinguishing it from the original Mewtwo.

That would be a pretty anticlimactic end to the story, don't you think?
    True...but it was still an idea .

You have to look it from Game Freak's point of view rather than through a Schrödinger's cat thought experiment. Is this game taking place in Kalos or Kanto? Will Mewtwo be in this game? Does the official website reference the original Mewtwo? Have we seen legendaries leave their regions before? Have we seen Mewtwo leave Cerulean Cave before? Given the answers to these questions, there should be a factual reason to think that Mewtwo has been replaced by a new version, and the movie isn't that reason due to the anime's track record.
    We've seen legendaries "travel" outside their regions before. But at the same time it's also possible in-game for legendaries to breed off screen as shown by a number of NPCs having them. So in the end we don't know if the Cresselia in Unova is the same Cresselia that was in Sinnoh for example. I mean even Sabrina even had a Mewtwo in that one DLC PWT match. Though since it's DLC and Japan only, I guess you can take it or leave it.

As for the site referencing Original!Mewtwo....that's most likely because up until now there has been only one Mewtwo available to the player, so of course they're going to reference it. There's also the option that I put forth earlier that, if there is more than one Mewtwo, they could just explain it away by adding something as simple as "lost" journal entries, by having someone else create another Mewtwo from notes, or finally admitting flat out in-game legendaries can indeed reproduce but the player can't breed them because they have special mating rituals that can't be reproduced by the player or something.

That doesn't answer my question. Why would Game Freak think that creating a second Mewtwo with a new Forme is a better idea than simply treating the Forme as a new species? That would be the simplest way of distinguishing it from the original Mewtwo.
    I know it's been joked about many times already...but maybe they were really trying to pay tribute to the Mewthree rumors of yore. But since legendaries can't evolve and since formes are all-the-rage...voila!

Seriously though, like I said there's only one legendary available to the player...not the entire pokemon world. If you take Sabrina's Mewtwo worth a grain of salt, then there's proof right there that there may be more Mewtwos floating around out there. There could have been one in the beginning but it ended up breeding and making more. Maybe Red still has his Mewtwo. Maybe the Mewtwo in HG/SS is it's offspring. Maybe it had more than one Mewtwo kittens and Sabrina has one and Ethan/Lyra has the other. Maybe the Mewtwo that can change forme is a distant offspring and not another clone. Maybe the one in the cave wasn't even the original Mewtwo in the first place. Who knows for sure except GF.
    Last edited by Cute Charm; 28th June 2013 at 06:06 AM.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    but with Mewtwo there's explicitly only one, and we've been given the chance to catch that one in multiple games. Having it move out of Cerulean Cave to Kalos unmolested would seem somewhat unlikely. (Also it would soften the bitching about the new movie's new Mewtwo as much as anything else could.)
    Latias and Latios are also "the only ones in the world", but you can catch them in Kanto in HeartGold/SoulSilver. Technically, the same goes for the Regi Trio being obtainable in Sinnoh(Platinum), and Creation Trio in Johto(HG/SS) through events.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Charm
    But at the same time it's also possible in-game for legendaries to breed off screen as shown by a number of NPCs having them. So in the end we don't know if the Cresselia in Unova is the same Cresselia that was in Sinnoh for example. I mean even Sabrina even had a Mewtwo in that one DLC PWT match. Though since it's DLC and Japan only, I guess you can take it or leave it.
    Many people don't consider the World Tournament or the Battle Frontier canon, regardless of DLC.

Who knows for sure except GF.
    That's stating the obvious. It doesn't mean that all possibilities are equally probable or that there shouldn't be a reason for doing things in a certain way. Again, what reason is there to give a Forme to a new Mewtwo version rather than bringing the original character back or creating a separate species?

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Edge View Post
    Latias and Latios are also "the only ones in the world", but you can catch them in Kanto in HeartGold/SoulSilver.
    Steven specifically says that they migrated from Hoenn. It's actually ironic since Latias' Emerald Pokédex entry mentions that they make a small herd of only several members, but then those entries should be taken with a grain of salt.

Technically, the same goes for the Regi Trio being obtainable in Sinnoh(Platinum), and Creation Trio in Johto(HG/SS) through events.
    The Creation trio are the only ones that were established as not being unique. It's worth noting that the Regis and Heatran (in Sinnoh and Unova) need to be summoned, so it is questionable if they really have a permanent habitat. Consider Emerald's Marine and Terra Caves and you'll see how even unlikely legendaries can move around to unexpected places.
    ArginX likes this.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Charm
    But at the same time it's also possible in-game for legendaries to breed off screen as shown by a number of NPCs having them. So in the end we don't know if the Cresselia in Unova is the same Cresselia that was in Sinnoh for example. I mean even Sabrina even had a Mewtwo in that one DLC PWT match. Though since it's DLC and Japan only, I guess you can take it or leave it.
    Many people don't consider the World Tournament or the Battle Frontier canon, regardless of DLC.

Who knows for sure except GF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Edge View Post
    Latias and Latios are also "the only ones in the world", but you can catch them in Kanto in HeartGold/SoulSilver.
    Steven specifically says that they migrated from Hoenn. It's actually ironic since Latias' Emerald Pokédex entry mentions that they make a small herd of only several members, but then those entries should be taken with a grain of salt.

Technically, the same goes for the Regi Trio being obtainable in Sinnoh(Platinum), and Creation Trio in Johto(HG/SS) through events.
    The Creation trio are the only ones that were established as not being unique. It's worth noting that the Regis and Heatran (in Sinnoh and Unova) need to be summoned, so it is questionable if they really have a permanent habitat. Consider Emerald's Marine and Terra Caves and you'll see how even unlikely legendaries can move around to unexpected places.
    That's why I'm saying, that Legendaries are able to move around the world, not just stay in one region. If Latias/Latios can just migrate for some reason, Mewtwo can do so too.

I do think Mewtwo is going to be obtainable in 6 gen, especially since we already seen the new Mewtwo forme presented in those X/Y games.

Blog Entries

According to Nanamaru's tweets about the early screening of Movie 16, the Forme can indeed travel to outer space as previously hinted. It also uses techniques that make it similar to a manga character called The World. Specifically, it can temporarily stop time:

Quote Originally Posted by Nanamaru
    Although it has not stopped completely, it is close to the state where the time is stopped, infinite.
    They also confirmed that the Mewtwo in the movie is not the original one and that its backstory isn't even referenced. At least that goes to show that the anime writers are just being lazy; I doubt that the prologue will be much different.
    Last edited by Silktree; 30th June 2013 at 07:59 AM.

The World?

ZA WARUDO!
    ArginX likes this.

The Stray Veteran Pokemon Blazing Charmander's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We now know that Mewtwo's mysterious new form is a result of Mega Evolution, which various Pokemon can also be subjected to when exposed to a Mega Stone. However, the extra focus given to Mewtwo and its ties with the theme of genetics leave me as interested as ever to find out what role it will play in the story. I'm eager to find out what connection, if any, it will have to Xerneas and Yveltal. In addition, will its backstory from Red and Blue be referenced and explored further? The answers to these are probably obvious, but it's difficult not to be excited about a Pokemon from a previous generation with a patchy backstory receiving development in a new region.
    Silktree and 투 애니원 like this.
    "My Dream..."

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

Well, Mewtwo being on the cover of XY soundtrack along with Yveltal and Xerneas can't be just a coincidence.

I'm looking forward to seeing what'll happen.
    Blazing Charmander likes this.

Blog Entries

This isn't more telling than the artwork, but I asked FANG-TAN to tweet Toshinobu Matsumiya, Game Freak's scenario writer. Here's a translation of the conversation:

What is the role of Mewtwo in Pokémon XY? Does its role depend on the version?
    Please look forward to the release of XY.
    Team Gaara and Akromatic like this.

Blog Entries

This isn't more telling than the artwork, but I asked FANG-TAN to tweet Toshinobu Matsumiya, Game Freak's scenario writer. Here's a translation of the conversation:

What is the role of Mewtwo in Pokémon XY? Does its role depend on the version?
    Please look forward to the release of XY.
    Wow, that's almost hilariously uninformative.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing the story behind the Mega Forms, and if Mewtwo's plays a significant role in the game's primary story then all the better.

Blog Entries

With Pokémon: The Origin being released to promote XY, does anyone still think that the games revisting Mewtwo's past is unlikely? The official website even mentions the Pokémon Tower event, so we know that Mr. Fuji will appear in the special (even though not all the game events will be covered). There should be a reason for this.

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast