Mewtwo's Role - Page 14

View Poll Results: Do you think the revealed Mewtwo look-alike is a Mewtwo forme or a new Pokémon?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Mewtwo forme

39 54.17%
  • A new Pokémon

33 45.83%
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Mewtwo's Role

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mewtwo's Role

Quote Originally Posted by El_ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Chesman View Post
    This covers mewtwo's general role as a ground zero, opening the proverbial floodgates for new unspoiled territory.
    Only that new formes, are not unspoiled territory for this series. :p Mewtwo getting a new forme at all is honestly nearly jumping the shark as it is, but for nearly every single other big time legend to start getting them would be poor creativity for legends and truly jumping it. Are Game Freak unsatisfied with the original designs? The only old school legendary Pokemon that new formes would be justified for are perhaps Johto's legendary Beast, who all were different Pokemon before being revived by Ho-oh. Even then, it may be better to just go a new species route with them.

On Mewtwo, its forme has grown on me, the design really isn't bad save for the fingers/toes. I hope the new games explain why Mr. Fuji (& Blaine) created Mewtwo to begin with, what the purpose was, who funded it etc, because unlike the anime it wasn't ever clarified on.
    Not really. Legendaries evolving would be jumping the shark. I'm likely the only one who supports formes from what I see, but whatever. Formes signifying a power boost is perfectly fine in my books, and I see them as a good enough way to not jump the shark.

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    it breaks the silent unwritten taboo
    The what now? No such thing ever existed. We just assumed it did.

Why I hate it, is simply the creative reign the movie seemingly has over Gamefreak's own in game uses. What I mean is, this seems to be designed on speed, complete with a spoiler for aerodynamics. This is a pure riff on Speed VS speed, overriding the genetic monster vs genetic monster motif that already exists, and unfortunately the in-game explination will feel poorer for my tastes. While movies were taken before games for older even Pokemon, HELLO SHAYMIN, this seems to go too far for the in-game forme change to make sense. What gain would Mewtwo, or at least the mewtwo gained from the event have from gaining a marginal speed boost? And more importantly, will the new evil team have a role, or perhaps will they adapt the VS Genesect into the game, having the red one only available with this new forme? Potential is there, but only in a very narrow mindset, and perhaps not with what mewtwo has going for it from what we know from FRLG. All in all, I personally love the design if its a new forme, but for the sake of not having the advertising shells needs come before the games I hope to the gods of sanity that its a new Pokemon.
    Why would you think a speedy Mewtwo form would be made to match the anime's speedy Genesect? In all likelihood it was the other way around- Gamefreak designs a speedy Mewtwo, and the anime makes a speedy Genesect for it to battle in the movie. At the absolute most, they collaborated, but I have no idea how likely that is. At any rate, just because Red Genesect was revealed first doesn't mean it was thought up first.
    Hopefully that is the case. And if it is, then it does make things better for me.
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Tickler of the Ivories

This new Mewtwo-like Pokemon (I am going to call it Mewthree) has fascinated me, because it brings about two very cool possibilities for where Gen VI is going.

My first hope is that this signifies the expanded use of the DNA Splicers. I don't know about anyone else, but to me, Mewthree looks like a combination of Mew and Mewtwo. If that's what Mewthree looks like, why can't it literally be a fusion of Mewtwo with a Mew? If this is the case, it would be sensible for Gamefreak to reuse the DNA splicers to this end.
    And if Mewthree is indeed a fusion of two Pokemon, could this mean that Pokemon X and Y will have lots of fused Pokemon? Oh boy, that would be SO cool!

My second hope is that this signifies the return of Team Rocket. Whether or not Mewtwo was created by Team Rocket is irrelevant- Mewtwo was one of the most iconic figures from Gen I, and another of those figures was undoubtedly Giovanni. If Pokemon X and Y features a return of Team Rocket, I am buying a 3DS and both games!
    Incidentally, I also feel that Team Plasma has much more potential. Gasp... What if Pokemon X and Y revolves around the conflict between Team Rocket and Team Plasma in this new region? And if so, what if your two rivals are N and Giovanni's son? That. Would. Be. AWESOME!!!!

learn it live it love it venusboi79's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PianoManGibb View Post
    This new Mewtwo-like Pokemon (I am going to call it Mewthree) has fascinated me, because it brings about two very cool possibilities for where Gen VI is going.

My first hope is that this signifies the expanded use of the DNA Splicers. I don't know about anyone else, but to me, Mewthree looks like a combination of Mew and Mewtwo. If that's what Mewthree looks like, why can't it literally be a fusion of Mewtwo with a Mew? If this is the case, it would be sensible for Gamefreak to reuse the DNA splicers to this end.
    And if Mewthree is indeed a fusion of two Pokemon, could this mean that Pokemon X and Y will have lots of fused Pokemon? Oh boy, that would be SO cool!

My second hope is that this signifies the return of Team Rocket. Whether or not Mewtwo was created by Team Rocket is irrelevant- Mewtwo was one of the most iconic figures from Gen I, and another of those figures was undoubtedly Giovanni. If Pokemon X and Y features a return of Team Rocket, I am buying a 3DS and both games!
    Incidentally, I also feel that Team Plasma has much more potential. Gasp... What if Pokemon X and Y revolves around the conflict between Team Rocket and Team Plasma in this new region? And if so, what if your two rivals are N and Giovanni's son? That. Would. Be. AWESOME!!!!
    While I enjoy TR from a nostalgia perspective, I don't really want to see them make a return. They've been disbanded twice now, and I feel that chapter has been closed. Besides, this is a brand new region that doesn't appear to have any connection to Kanto/Johto; it will most likely have it's own criminal syndicate. I like little cameos (Cynthia, Lance, etc), but I don't want to see past characters or teams play a major role in a new game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by venusboi79 View Post
    While I enjoy TR from a nostalgia perspective, I don't really want to see them make a return. They've been disbanded twice now, and I feel that chapter has been closed. Besides, this is a brand new region that doesn't appear to have any connection to Kanto/Johto; it will most likely have it's own criminal syndicate. I like little cameos (Cynthia, Lance, etc), but I don't want to see past characters or teams play a major role in a new game.
    Even though I don't think that Team Rocket (or Team Plasma for that matter) should be revived yet again, we barely know anything about the new region. Just because it is far from the previous regions doesn't mean that there won't be any connections beyond mere cameos. I'd say that Mewtwo's role illustrates that.

Scandal In The Firenation Akira Bond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Akira Bond on Tumblr

I doubt they will be bringing back past villain teams to play a role in the new generation. I agree, that as much as I like Team Rocket, they have been disbanded and shouldn't be reformed once more in a new region. I'm interested to know what the new villain team's name will be.

Tickler of the Ivories

We will have to agree to disagree. I found Team Rocket and Team Plasma to be the two only believable teams- Aqua and Magma were fluffy environmentalists, and Galactic was basically just a bunch of emos hell-bent on destroying everything just for the heck of it, but Rocket was the OG team that did bad things for the only legitimate reason in crime- to make money. Likewise, I loved how Team Plasma masqueraded as this hippie Pokemon freedom group that suddenly was revealed as a screen for its higher members' world-domination plan. Those two teams were legitimately evil, no morality questions asked, and a showdown between them would be great. Hey, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Also, Giovanni's son has so much more potential for character growth. Likewise with N. Just sayin'.

Blog Entries

We will have to agree to disagree. I found Team Rocket and Team Plasma to be the two only believable teams- Aqua and Magma were fluffy environmentalists, and Galactic was basically just a bunch of emos hell-bent on destroying everything just for the heck of it, but Rocket was the OG team that did bad things for the only legitimate reason in crime- to make money. Likewise, I loved how Team Plasma masqueraded as this hippie Pokemon freedom group that suddenly was revealed as a screen for its higher members' world-domination plan. Those two teams were legitimately evil, no morality questions asked, and a showdown between them would be great. Hey, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Also, Giovanni's son has so much more potential for character growth. Likewise with N. Just sayin'.
    While I can see such a team clash believable, especially since both teams have completely opposite views from each other, I'm pretty sure that Team Rocket is done and over with the games. I don't think Game Freak has any intention of bringing them back anytime soon. Of course, it's still a possibility in other forms of media.... Oh, right, it was going to happen in the anime, only for it to be cancelled and never brought back. Right...

Returning to the main subject brought up... I also don't think Team Rocket will make a return in this, or any other previous team for that matter. And why should they? There is no evidence in the games that supports that TR had a hand in the creation of Mewtwo. TR has only been involved with it in the anime and the numerous manga adaptions. It's a common portrayal for TR to be involved, whether it be actually creating it or funding the research, but it still stands that in the actual canon games, TR had no role. Only Fuji of Lavender Town is suggested to have a hand in it, but it doesn't seem likely that he was involved with TR's efforts, and given that TR outright kidnapped him and held him hostage in the Pokemon Tower, I don't think that was GF's intention either.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Team Rocket were disbanded at the end of HGSS and had no connection to Mewtwo in the games. So I find it highly unlikely that they will appear.

So, it turns out the new Pokémon is simply a Mewtwo form. I'm not sure how I feel about it to be honest. My nature-nurture theory is still intact, but this whole thing of adding new formes for legendaries is getting really tiring. It is interesting though in that this is the only time a new forme/form has been added to a Pokémon outside of the generation that Pokémon debuted in (excluding the ? and ! Unown forms which were mere aesthetic changes).

I also wonder what this means about Generation VI, as it now means that although it's a new forme, the main Pokémon being used to advertise the new generation in the pre-release movie is an old Pokémon.

And damn it TPCi PR, now you've just painted yourself as absolutely unreliable.

If that happened it would be like them practically admitting that they have run out of ideas for new Pokémon.

Currently Playing: X; 7 Badges;
    Delphox (Lv 65) - Vivillion (Lv 65) - Blastoise (Lv 65) - Pangoro (Lv 66) - Amaura (Lv. 69) - Sylveon (Lv. 66)

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

Ugh, so it is a new form? :/

And here I was so excited about the prospect of an additional Mewtwo storyline in X/Y. However, I guess the event could shed more light on Mewtwo's creation and the whole story behind it. We'll just have to wait and see. :/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tsutarja View Post
    Ugh, so it is a new form? :/

And here I was so excited about the prospect of an additional Mewtwo storyline in X/Y. However, I guess the event could shed more light on Mewtwo's creation and the whole story behind it. We'll just have to wait and see. :/
    What makes you think that a Forme reduces the odds of getting a new storyline that ties into Mewtwo's creation?

Honestly, I've little interest in seeing Team Rockets return.. I'm far more interested in seeing Mewtwo's return. This isn't the anime.. So I don't see what relevance Team Rocket has in this.
    Kudos to Gamefreak for basically putting the character on total hiatus (even from the movies, to some extent, excluding cameos), makes it far more believable that he'd return from a deep slumber, with a newer form.

I guess, considering he's made his appearance in-game, that means he'll have to follow two individual canons - A clone in the anime, and the child of Mew in-game.

Personally, I'm not at all a fan of the "clone" thing.. I think it's far more of a tragic character, having been separated from it's parent. For that reason, I'm very, very glad it IS Mewtwo, because that gives them enough reason to ELABORATE on what it's been doing for the past decade. B2/W2 also taught me that elaboration on existent characters is also quite important - Found myself interested in Cheren and how he'd overcome his superiority complex.. So I'll certainly be interested in some elaboration on Mr. Fuji / Blaine. I'd say that's far more imperative to the bigger picture than just being all; "OMGZ! TEAM PLASMAR HAVE CREATED THEIR OWN MEWTWO CLONE!". In some ways, Blaine/Mr. Fuji deserve relevance, considering what had happened in B2/W2. They reference Lance and Cynthia, and those are mere Champions.. So, why not characters as integral as Blaine? Seems odd, to me. The more they reference characters that matter, the broader the universe feels, for me.

I feel as if I'm the only one who gazes at this new form with a lump in my throat, and an overpowering sense of empathy. I mean, look at it.. It was born abnormal, for it's species.. And now, it's settled for a form that's as close as it could get to normality. Honestly, just to know it eventually reunites with it's mother.. That'd just, I don't know. I can't think of a single character I care more for in the franchise. And I really hope I'm not a minority on that.
    Last edited by Halayuuko; 13th April 2013 at 05:54 AM.
    Silktree likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halayuuko View Post
    Personally, I'm not at all a fan of the "clone" thing.. I think it's far more of a tragic character, having been separated from it's parent. For that reason, I'm very, very glad it IS Mewtwo, because that gives them enough reason to ELABORATE on what it's been doing for the past decade. B2/W2 also taught me that elaboration on existent characters is also quite important - Found myself interested in Cheren and how he'd overcome his superiority complex.. So I'll certainly be interested in some elaboration on Mr. Fuji / Blaine. I'd say that's far more imperative to the bigger picture than just being all; "OMGZ! TEAM PLASMAR HAVE CREATED THEIR OWN MEWTWO CLONE!".

I feel as if I'm the only one who gazes at this new form with a lump in my throat, and an overpowering sense of empathy. I mean, look at it.. It was born abnormal, for it's species.. And now, it's settled for a form that's as close as it could get to normality. Honestly, just to know it eventually reunites with it's mother.. That'd just, I don't know. I can't think of a single character I care more for in the franchise. And I really hope I'm not a minority on that.
    You may be in the minority, but you are definitely not alone. I've been waiting for Mewtwo, Mew and Mr. Fuji to be reunited in the games for a very long time.

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    What makes you think that a Forme reduces the odds of getting a new storyline that ties into Mewtwo's creation?
    I don't know, it just feels like the new Mewtwo forme might not get as much story or explanation as it deserves, especially since Mewtwo is in question. I'm hoping we do get a new storyline, though. :/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tsutarja View Post
    I don't know, it just feels like the new Mewtwo forme might not get as much story or explanation as it deserves, especially since Mewtwo is in question. I'm hoping we do get a new storyline, though. :/
    Well, I am not going to argue with your gut feeling, but it is definitely too early to say that. The fact that that an old Pokémon is being promoted as part of a new generation says a lot in itself. If a Mewthree were involved, then I might be worried.
    Tsutarja likes this.

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast