Mewtwo's Role

View Poll Results: Do you think the revealed Mewtwo look-alike is a Mewtwo forme or a new Pokémon?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Mewtwo forme

39 54.17%
  • A new Pokémon

33 45.83%
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mewtwo's Role

Default Mewtwo's Role

With the announcement of Mewtwo being the secret Movie 16 star, it is only natural to wonder what this may mean for the games. Previous generations were heavily promoted by the movies leading up to their release, but in this case the stars of the main movie (as opposed to the short) aren't new species. While Genesect was due for a movie role, Mewtwo already has a movie and a special (technically two specials) under its belt. Why would the Pokémon Company want the movie to be focused on Mewtwo unless it were relevant to the upcoming games?

Mewtwo's name has already been brought up in the context of X and Y due to the probable Genetics theme. But some fans seem to have dismissed that theory simply on the basis of Mewtwo (and Mew and Deoxys for that matter) being old news. But if Mewtwo is good enough for the movie, why would it seem out of place in the games? If anything, there should be some old legendaries in the games so that Game Freak don't have to go overboard with new legendaries just to fill some quota of sidequests. A lot of existing legendaries have untapped potential story-wise, and Mewtwo and Mew are among the prime examples as I explained here.

While a movie-related download could work, Mewtwo has already been distributed in the current generation. It would be far better if it were catchable in X and Y and had some connection to the main story. I am particularly interested in seeing Mr. Fuji again, who is by far one of the most enigmatic characters in the series. Not only could Mewtwo's real origin story be finally told in full, but I could also see a connection to the new bonding feature. Dr. Fuji may have created Mewtwo solely for battling, but Mr. Fuji clearly doesn't see Pokémon that way. No doubt Mr. Fuji would want Mewtwo to finally find a trainer that could manage to open its heart and earn its trust.

On another note, the theory about Mew being the ancestor of (most) Pokémon could finally be touched upon. I wouldn't be surprised if Mew were connected to Xerneas and Yveltal.
    Last edited by Silktree; 12th February 2013 at 08:40 PM.

Default Re: Mewtwo's Role

I would be really, really happy if Mew and Mewtwo were important NPCs in X and Y. Especially if they adapted the anime's interpretation of Mew living in Yggdrasil, if Xerneas and Yveltal really represent beast-gods of Yggdrasil.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

I would love to see a legendary from a previous generation actually having a role in the story of a game that isn't something thrown in post game just to have a handful of older legendaries accessible. Mewtwo's a perfect candidate for it since it's really not tied down to any other pokemon, and I feel it's story isn't necessarily complete. I don't know if it'll happen, but I'd love for it to. They threw Mew into M8 without it really needing to be there, so it could just be that. Genesect does deserve its own movie, so it could just be the writers being fair with the thing. Maybe they're actually trying to present an interesting story and not just slapping on a new pokemon simply because it's new.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatLiver View Post
    They threw Mew into M8 without it really needing to be there, so it could just be that.
    But Mew didn't seem random due to FireRed and LeafGreen, and it even had an (admittedly brief but still interesting) event in Emerald. Even then, the main star of Movie 8 was Lucario.

Blog Entries

I can also see a NPC role given to Mew or Mewtwo, with them being catchable in the post-game. Mewtwo should not take the spotlight from Xerneas/Yveltal though, its their time now and Mewtwo should be supporting at best. Maybe like how Suicune was handled, appearing in several different places with someone like Eusine shedding light on what it wants or it's intentions.

On another note, I just really, and I mean I really hope that they do not give Mewtwo an alternate forme just because of the movie or speculative role in X & Y. There have to be better ways to do things than new formes, so if Mewtwo does have an increased role then I hope its entirely story based around genetic Pokemon and existential issues, and not on someone getting a hold of it and mutating Mewtwo further.

N set by smalllady
    Ideals/Truth

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Yeah this is the most interesting news. Mewtwo and Ninfia are obviously the bridge Pokemon between gen 5&6, so I want to see how their gonna handle it. I personally wouldn't mind Mewtwo getting a new forme, to be honest. Some sort of genetic mutation that it created by awakening some of his DNA, or something. As for mew, I doubt it would get any presence, but we'll see.Kanto needs to be in every gen in some form, so obviously with M2 we'll be going to Kanto after the league
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Based on anime episodes.

Mewtwo in battle armor form please catchable in XY.

Steel/Psychic Mewtwo alt form would rock!

Mewtwo and Genesect were both artificially created/modified so maybe there is an overarching theme of Genetics in this movie

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

I'd also like to remeber movie eight when Mew transformed into a giant bird (Ho-Oh) and lived in what is basically Yggdrasil, ans that also looked like the area Xerneas was in the trailer.

Giant bird - Yveltal.

Oh hindsight.

EDIT: Yes, I'd like them to have roles, I always believed Mewtwo's potential was kind of skewered in the game continuity, also of course, one can't forget Mr. Fuji, as Silktree pointed out.

Nice weather we're having SirOni's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El_ View Post
    On another note, I just really, and I mean I really hope that they do not give Mewtwo an alternate forme just because of the movie or speculative role in X & Y. There have to be better ways to do things than new formes, so if Mewtwo does have an increased role then I hope its entirely story based around genetic Pokemon and existential issues, and not on someone getting a hold of it and mutating Mewtwo further.
    Oh, but a new form can be pretty cool! Maybe the armored version from the anime or even the black-toned winged version every true fan wants...

Dear God those ideas are terrible.
    Caro: 0774-4484-9102

IGN: Antonio

URPG:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f401/cerony-urpg-66373/

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Nah, if they give Mewtwo a new forme, I can suspect him being like frieza, and have him gain a more refined look. That or, Team Plasma capture it in the movie/games, and give us a CyberM2.
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Quote Originally Posted by Chespin View Post
    That or, Team Plasma capture it in the movie/games, and give us a CyberM2.
    I'm fairly sure that Team Plasma will have been disbanded in the anime by the time the movie premieres, and either way, they shouldn't have anything to do with the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chespin View Post
    That or, Team Plasma capture it in the movie/games, and give us a CyberM2.
    I'm fairly sure that Team Plasma will have been disbanded in the anime by the time the movie premieres, and either way, they shouldn't have anything to do with the games.
    i dont think they will be disbanded by time the movie comes out. i pretty sure genesect plot comes before reshiram

Quote Originally Posted by johnpoke View Post
    i dont think they will be disbanded by time the movie comes out. i pretty sure genesect plot comes before reshiram
    CoroCoro has confirmed that the White Ruins three-parter will air in April. It is the climax as well as conclusion of Episode N.

Blog Entries

If the villainous team is genetics-themed, and is illegally experimenting on pokémon, I can see Mewtwo being an adviser of sorts (since it can communicate telepathically); an ally NPC urging the PC to stop the villainous team (using itself as an example of what such experiments may yield). But I reckon it's going to be difficult to find a balance. If Mewtwo would have this role, it would have to appear every now and then, but the main legends also only appear every now and then. Mewtwo cannot upstage the Gen 6 legends by appearing at the same intervals.

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast